2016-09-25 21:32:12

hi.
I have a very nasty issue that occurred on the laptop of a friend of mine, NVDA keeps saying unknown when she tries to switch windows instead of saying the window's name and she is unable to use the arrow keys or tab to navigate in internet explorer or firefox.
I tried everything I know to fix this problem, updated nvda to the latest version, updated firefox to the latest version aswell, messed with the accessibility options in mozilla but nothing works. we had to use jaws to get into the options of course sinse nvda refuses to read anything in mozilla and in internet explorer.
I was quite surprised with NVDA's behaviour because I have 2 computers and I've been using it for a long time now and never had this problem.
She really needs nvda to work flawlessly as soon as possible because she has a job aplication that she must take really quickly so any suggestions regarding this annoing problem would be appreciated.
Kind regards.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2016-09-26 01:19:34

OMG just restart it ffs. first step in troubleshooting anything, just restart it.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2016-09-26 09:04:45

lol I did it several times, I also did a clean reinstal of nvda but this didn't fix the problem. I have no idea what might be causing this.

Stephen King

2016-09-26 09:36:55

Are you sure you deleted all NVDA's folders and files in the app data?
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2016-09-26 09:56:42

yes. I deleted everything but I still got the same problem. Could it be something to do with jaws video intercept drivers? Now that I think though I don't think it can be because on the other computer that I installed nvda there is no jaws but the problem is still present. I have no idea what might be causing this.

Stephen King

2016-09-26 16:21:49

no because NVDA doesn't use that method of capturing stuff. It mostly gets info from the accessibility APIs that windows has, I think it can read code from HTML, and javascript on sites too. Just take all addons out that you are not using, and there is probably a problem with that computer because its unusual for NVDA to just say unknown all the time. It can happen, but restarting it almost always fixes it.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2016-09-26 16:27:35

yeah I know. I thought the same thing but again, this has happened on 2 computers in the same house. I was running nvda without any addons.
Anyways, I reported it on the official nvda site, I hope they can tell me what's happening.

Stephen King

2016-09-26 16:32:44

I would try the following, note this is untested:
1. Download portable firefox and check if that works, a quick google search brought up this:
http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable
2. Check if the same issue is happening with the portable edition.
3. If the portable version of firefox doesn't cause you trouble, either keep using it or reinstall normal firefox

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2016-09-27 01:00:58

I ad this problem a while ago. I think I acquired it after installing a no so legal copy of Microsoft Word. It was a long time ago, so I could be wrong. It was really frustrating, so I ended up restoring my computer back a couple days. Fixed the issue.

2016-09-27 05:41:23 (edited by livrobo 2016-09-27 05:46:58)

Did you install an older version of Microsoft Office recently?

Like Ross said, this will cause this. It's happened to me on a genuine copy of Office though as well. Also, if this is what's causing your problem, uninstalling Office did not fix it for me. I had to do a system restore.

If a helicopter falls in the field and no one's around, it doesn't make a sound.

2016-09-27 14:12:23

I will have to check this out. I will reinstal it to see if the problem will be fixed.

Stephen King