2016-09-29 11:20:26

Well, I don't know what version of NVDA you last tried to use, but it definitely can announce this kind of things. Yes, it does have to be turned on (or off in a few cases, respectively), but I personally see that as an advantage. I wouldn't like to be cluttered by all the possible formatting info being announced all at once by default.

It does tell you when you start or stop typing in italics and bolt respectively, and when reading and browsing the text, it can either announce the formatting changes automatically if configured to do so, which might cause some lag which is either more or less prominent depending on your system, etc, or the announcement can be triggered manually with the designated keystroe at the exact moment when it's convenient to you.

Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2016-09-29 16:59:10

Hi,
I use NVDA sometimes and it does announce these features you mention. However, NVDA performs slowly on Microsoft Word, or not as fast as JAWS does, so I avoid using it. I should be honest that I tried two times with all my seriousness to switch to NVDA, but it didn't work till the end of my experience with it, and I went back again to JAWS.
The reason, in fact, why I stick with JAWS is its integration with Office products, especially Microsoft word which I use a lot. When reading long documents NVDA starts lagging, and that's when I get disappointed and press insert+Q.
Now that I'm at university, I have to work with long books which usually reach 400 pages, but NVDA does not satisfy me with its performance. It really needs a bit of work to enhance integration with Microsoft Word and some other programs.

2016-09-29 20:25:25

Ah, all right, I haven't noticed any performance issues when I only want to hear formatting information on request, and I haven't probably worked with that long Word documents yet, so that does make sense if the experience is like that for you.
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2016-09-30 04:23:50

Yeah. Someone with some influence should try and get tspivey to port Emacspeak to Windows, for good.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me