2016-09-25 07:35:13

Hello everyone,
I recently had my laptop reformatted and my windows OS reinstalled. After updating to Windows 7 service pack 1, Windows update is taking forever to complete checking for updates. I currently have automatic updating turned off. Looking at my windows update settings reveals that my computer will never check for updates unless asked for. Does anyone have any idea as to why Windows update is taking forever to check for updates? Any help would be appreciated.

2016-09-25 15:29:29

The only thing I can think of is that there is going to be hundreds of updates that have to be checked to see if you already have them. If you think checking for updates is taking a while, wait until you start installing them!

2016-09-26 03:19:42

Yeah, I get the impression that you've just upgraded your OS. So it's going to move like a tortoise when it comes to downloading and installing the updates. Be prepared to wait for several hours, a few updates will be installed, your computer will ask to reboot, then you'll need to repeat that process several times. Man, I really do not miss those days.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2016-09-26 03:25:02

Why? What are you using now?

Personally, I'm kind of surprised that Microsoft didn't wrap up all the updates into a service pack just before they dropped supporting Windows 7 SP1. It sure would have made life a lot easier when a reinstall was needed.

2016-09-26 03:36:08

Well, I'm using Windows 10 now. And, technically, you can get the new rollup which bundles all of those updates into a single package. But it's finnicky to get working, and I doubt the OP is using that.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2016-09-26 16:37:04

Give it a few years, then updating Windows 10 after a reinstall will be in the same boat updating a fresh install of Windows 7 is in now.

The only difference will be that you aren't in control of the process.

Or you could let the Windows installer get all the updates for you, but that will take a while.

Either way, after a while Windows 10 will have a long update process to go through to get current as Windows 7 has now.

2016-10-02 17:17:38

there's another issue this person mite be experiencing, and i hope that this is not the case, because, thus far i have no work around to figure out why this happens. but on many windows systems i have sceen this happen.
it can happen upon new install, it can especially happen after sp1 is installed, it can even definitely happen after the role up update is installed.

symptoms is as follows.
1. windows update gets stuck on checking for updates. 2 pc processor usage jumps to 50 percent and sometimes to 100 percent.
fan starts to spin up because of long CPU usage.
only selution to make cpu jump to 0 percent use. is to disable update service.
thus far i have not found a easy way to fix this.
there are temporary  fixes. such as,
using netstop to stop the 2 services that has to do with windows updates. and clearing the software distribution folder. and rebooting. and praying it works then.
but basically if you are stuck in that state. it gets messy from there.
only trouble is, it can happen any time, for no reason I can figure out, as of yet.
my worse nightmare, the pain in my furry tail.

There's a place for me in this universe.

2016-10-02 17:59:12

hi,
Actually, there is a rollup for windows 7 that bundles all updates released until april 2016. This makes updating much much easier. Also,  I doubt windows 10's update procedure will  become  similar to windows 7. The reason is that microsoft releases major upgrades every 8 months or so. Once you update your iso image, all you need to do is grab the cumulative update and you're done.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2016-10-02 20:10:49

Hi.
where does someone get this role up from?
It may be usefull to know, I have 2 systems mine and another which will at some point need a reformat.
If I could skip updates for a few years that would be usefull.
I agree with win10.
Microsoft has bundled a lot of things ie win10 updates in to humungus update packages a full os upgrade every year or 2 of 2gb and smaller ones of 100mb to 1gb per month otherwise.
It is unlikely that it will ever get like win7 is now.
It still takes me ages sometimes to check for updates.
Sometimes it just doesn't.
This is a responce to a solution I got from ms about updates and why they may or may not have any install.
Action: Tried to download Windows Updates
Result: Failed, error 0x084402f
Cause: Possible connectivity issues, manual updates needed.
Resolution:
Downloaded System Update Readiness Tool:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821
Changed DNS Server:
From Network Connections, right click on your LAN connection, choose properties.
Select IPV4, choose properties, change the DNS Server:
Primary: 4.2.2.2
Alternate: 4.2.2.1
If things do not install, the solution I found usefull was a local dns change on the computers in question, a recheck of updates, and then changing it back.
No one knows why this is, however, it is believed that sometimes windowsupdate becomes unsynced with its servers especially if things crash out.
And this reinitialise it all somehow.
However if you use office over 2013, thats all huge update packages to.
In 10 optional features are on either programs and features turn on and off features or optional features, and these are a sepperate download, language packs are their own sepperate download.
It is unlikely windowsupdate will ever become as slow.
Plus with faster internet it is unlikely that it will matter that much these days.

2016-10-03 06:23:48

hi,
follow the instructions on this link. It is very important to get both updates.
http://www.howtogeek.com/255435/how-to- … ce-rollup/

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2016-10-03 15:30:08

flyby chow wrote:

there's another issue this person mite be experiencing, and i hope that this is not the case, because, thus far i have no work around to figure out why this happens. but on many windows systems i have sceen this happen.
it can happen upon new install, it can especially happen after sp1 is installed, it can even definitely happen after the role up update is installed.

symptoms is as follows.
1. windows update gets stuck on checking for updates. 2 pc processor usage jumps to 50 percent and sometimes to 100 percent.
fan starts to spin up because of long CPU usage.
only selution to make cpu jump to 0 percent use. is to disable update service.
thus far i have not found a easy way to fix this.
there are temporary  fixes. such as,
using netstop to stop the 2 services that has to do with windows updates. and clearing the software distribution folder. and rebooting. and praying it works then.
but basically if you are stuck in that state. it gets messy from there.
only trouble is, it can happen any time, for no reason I can figure out, as of yet.

That's exactly what I'm facing. Windows update gets stuck checking for updates.

2016-10-03 15:31:29

hi,
try following the instructions in my article and then recheck for updates.
it should resolve the problem

2016-10-03 16:22:08

Last time I installed windows 7, I had to find an all in one update that Microsoft had released, but would never, ever show up:
http://www.howtogeek.com/255435/how-to- … ce-rollup/
If you already have sp1, which you probably do, just do step 3 in there.

2016-10-04 18:17:27

There's a bug fix for the windows fan speed issue.    ALso, WIndows Updates are prbably hung up due to a partial or broken download.  Usually  stopping the windows update service, and disabiling audomatic updates, then deleting the Software Distribution folder generally does the trick.   

1. Turn off Windows Updates and have it never check for updates.
2. Open elevated command prompt and type: "net stop wuauserv" without quote
3. Go to C:\Windows\Software Distribution and delete it.

Oce you do these things, restart yoru computer and try checking for updates.

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2016-10-08 12:46:00

a note of warning, if you follow poster 14 advice, remember that when checking for updates that first time, wil take very very long. wait at leest 20 minutes boefore declaring it to be stuck, depending on connection speed and a host of other factors, it may take a while for updates,
because, it has to check what you already have, against what you do not have

There's a place for me in this universe.