2008-02-13 15:37:18

Hello everyone. I'm planning on writing a paper on audio games and the way they developer over the past years, but I'm completely new to the scene. Can any of you help me find some good audio games I just have to have played if I'm writing about them?

2008-02-13 17:08:26

www.gmagames.com
Several fine examples of games there.

www.usagames.us personally I've only played Final Conflict, this being one of the few strategy games out there in audio, but Montezuma is apparently good I hear.

www.agrip.org.uk Audio Quake, actually the original Quake since the developer released the source code and has been modified to be playable with no sight. I don't play it much, but it is a project I believe in and I feel it is an excellent example of how even with very limited resources a mainstream game can be adapted.

www.dracoent.com, more "fun" less serious type games such as ten pin bowling, pinball and so on.

I'm sure other people have their own opinions too and will make suggestions. These are just a selection which I feel represents a lot of the spectrum in audio games right now.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-02-13 18:39:45

Thanks very much. I'll check those out smile

2008-02-13 18:41:58

oh also check out sound rts at www.pcsgames.net

Connor

2008-02-13 20:18:11

Good point, surprised I forgot that one. I've been a little off lately.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-02-13 23:08:29

Can't forget
www.bscgames.com
www.l-works.net
www.x-sight-interactive.net
www.kitchensinc.net

From,
Ryan Smith
Head of RS Games
RS Games Website

2008-02-13 23:39:17

Good points Ryan, I just worry about throwing out too many examples.

GMA on the other hand is very good for these purposes since you can see the evolution in their games. They also stick to a similar overall style too, this being first person perspective combat but varying in the details.

cx2
-----

2008-02-14 00:16:35

You can go
Here
For Phil's Fantastic Games List,
Here for the AudioGames archives

And here's a link to
The Audyssey website, complete with mailing lists.

Those are some more good sites to check out.

Hope it helps.

2008-02-14 02:12:09

the fantastic games list provided by andy in the previous post would indeed be a good place to look, ---- it's a master list of all audio games.

for representations, I'd agree with Cx2 about gma, they have an audio fps vaguely based upon doom, a complex simulation submarine commanding game (with user created missions), and a fps tank games.

Jim Kitchin's site and http://www.omninet.net.au/~irhumph/blindgamers.htm Create various card, board and puzle games in audio, ---- from hearts and solitare to battleships.

Sound Rts is an audio real time stratogy similar to warcraft.

then there are audio adaptations of classic games, pcs (who have the fantastic games list), produce audio packman, usa games' montizuma game (a remake of the atari platformer montizuma's revenge), has already been mentioned, and draconis entertainment at http://www.draconisentertainment.com/ produce audio Pinball games, and a very good space invaders varient.

for audio racing, I'd recommend rail racer found at http://www.blindadrenaline.com/ or topspeed 2 on www.playinginthedark.net.

finally, for real time sport, there is vip gameszone found at http://vipgameszone.com/index.php

Hopefully this is a good selection of various genres of games in audio which should give good material for your paper.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-02-14 03:31:10

Hi,
Theres also my small game "hobbiest" "company", we have one small title called "Shoot Da Me" where you shoot with the left, right, down arrow keys...
anyway www.rsgames.co.nr
All of these games should be good with your paper...

From,
Ryan Smith
Head of RS Games
RS Games Website

2008-02-14 13:23:04

Thanks, everyone. This will certainly help! smile

2008-02-14 15:44:18

No problem, in fact more publicity and research into audio games is always a good thing.

You probably know about the game accessibility project already, but if not they might be a handy place for more serious resources, you can find them on http://www.game-accessibility.com/index … efile=home

Please let us know how the research is going.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-02-14 22:29:24

Seconded, I wish you well and feel free to drop by again and let us know how it all went down or if you have any more questions or ideas to bounce off us.

cx2
-----

2008-02-14 23:40:29

yes definitely

Connor

2008-02-15 00:54:03

Oh totally. Hope it goes well.

2008-02-15 01:01:01

Sometimes I find the reaction of the community here quite heartwarming smile

Glad to say this is one of those moments.

cx2
-----

2008-02-15 01:18:06 (edited by RaMa 2008-02-17 21:37:12)

Yeah, you guys have been very helpful already. Thanks again. It's good to know you guys are willing to cooperate so willingly smile.

2008-02-15 02:15:17

Just going to point out a few specific titles that I think are good and good examples of mainstream games.
Alien Outback, of course, your classic space shooter type thing.
Judgement day, good, same style as AO, but has a cash of unlockables...
And of course, all the GMA games. You might check out rail racer as well.

Discord: clemchowder633

2008-02-15 23:28:29

oh you could also include some of the lighttech games as well, light cars and  bop it ultimit
I think the web address is www.lighttechinteractive.net
someone tell me if its the wrong address

Connor

2008-02-16 05:36:58

Nah it's
Click here

Have fun!

2008-02-17 05:04:19

ah sorry andy, well you know what they say, "it's the thought that counts."
thanks for giving the correct link though, there are a lot of good games on that site

Connor

2008-02-17 06:50:31

Definitely, just giving the correct link. Lol i wouldnt even have thought of that site.

2008-02-17 17:34:11

Well he's certainly got plenty of material for his report now.

Connor

2008-02-17 21:38:19

Yeah, thanks guys. That'll keep me busy for a while big_smile.

2008-02-18 18:27:20

Hey RaMa, when you publish the paper, will you let us know? Good luck with writing it!