2008-02-10 06:17:04

what do u thank we will need to helps us out in the every day world.
some one let me no. i am also a new member so just trying to figure out the sight a little bit.

road rage starts here

2008-02-10 13:59:58

Personally I think there has to be a lot of work on transport etc. The talking GPS systems are a start, and I did hear about a device to tell you what stop you're at on a bus but I think a lot more here would help.

Of course this depends what sort of area you're in and how much sight you have. I'm in an area where I would need to use bus/train to get anywhere useful, not being able to drive, and having no sight I just can't get my head around counting the stops either. As to "ask the driver", pah you ever tried that? They ever remember to tell you when you're there?

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-02-10 19:28:37

i think that this would be cool: an mp3 player, gps system, that also includes telling you what stop you're at, and clock, and basicly well not everything but quite a lot of useful things in one device though not everything.

2008-02-10 20:18:12

Sounds like the Trekker/Meistro set up would be what you're looking for wink

Not saying it couldn't be improved though, or the price reduced. Heck instead of paying for a taxi for me when I went to college they could have bought me a Trekker for far less, and just given me a little route training then I would be able to go on the bus with any luck.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-02-11 00:51:42

I think there needs to be more stuff like in shopping for things
nothing's in braille so its like you have to make a fuss in my opinion and ask for help, I don't know seems like a lot of trouble for some milk.
also like in the US if they could do something in the long term about the the paper money

Connor

2008-02-11 04:50:05

I agree with ya CJ, and
The braille superstore/Future aids
Has a money brailler there so that resolves your money problem.

2008-02-11 15:54:44

Hmm, it is still very tricky finding the right aisle or shelf etc so you would still need either sighted assistance or to spend all day looking for exactly what you want.

Portable talking barcode scanners could be a possibility though. I'm actually thinking of writing a program I could use with my desktop/laptop and one of the USB barcode scanners which input as a keyboard so I can identify say canned food or DVD's.

cx2
-----

2008-02-11 17:13:47

I personally would love a gps system that I could use myself properly, I enjoy walking and the amount of times I have to order taxis to places just because I do not know where they are is a real pest, ---- in fact, if anyone can recommend me a relatively cheap one (not requiring me to buy a palm top or synth for my phone), that'd be very helpful.

I get trains a heck of a lot, and apart from the usual troubles with delays they work fairly well, ----- though I often wish platform numbers were marked in braille, sinse this would mean I don't have to hastle station staff for assistance when I need to get a train from an unusual platform who's location I don't know (and locating said station staff at ten at night can be really fun as well).

I really dislike busses, for not announcing stops, and for random journey times (you can work out usually how long a train takes to get somewhere), and most trains (including the metro in newcastle), also announce stops, which makes life easier. then, if by chance I were to miss the stop on a train, finding a train going in the other direction is infinitely possible (though might require a long wait), where as if I missed a buss stop, I'm mildly stuck for finding another one going back to where I need.

I believe in London though they are actually testing busses with an auto stop announce system like trains, ---- so hopefully this will catch on.

as for shopping, well supermarkits have a move round so often that any sort of isle markers would be a pest, ---- and the amount of time it would take to read all those lables in braille or even scan barcodes would be rather extensive I think, and that's before getting into offers etc.

It would however be really nice if things came with cooking instructions in braille, usually (assuming I can find a relatively inteligent shop assistant), I have to ask them for the time and temperature of items I'm not familiar with, and then record it on my parrot.

Of course though, hopefully the Laforge esque viser will be developed soon, making this sort of thing less needed ;D.

Oh, actually there is work being done on both nervous regeneration and stimulating the visual cortex through a camera, but it is stil I think in the experimental stage thus far.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-02-11 18:49:29

Sadly the trains here don't have any announcements, and probably the best GPS set up for the blind right now seems the Trekker which is over

cx2
-----

2008-02-11 19:49:26

Which trains are those Cx2? all the national trains I've used have, as to the metro trains iin newcastle.

I thought the gps thing might be a bit rediculous, ---- which is stupid being as a tom tom for a car (wich can also be set to walking mode), is only about

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-02-11 20:38:16 (edited by cx2 2008-02-11 20:39:19)

Not sure about the colour pen, plus these things tend to change as they run.

ot sure which trains exactly they are, I'm in the north of Lincolnshire here. One of the more local ones here which goes out to Grimsby/cleethorpes I have confirmation from my mother as definitively not announcing the stops.

I also agree entirely on the GPS. I think I found a free piece of software for a phone to use GPS but it was limited to telling you if you're near certain waypoints, and had no maps or route planning and can't tell you what street you're on. You would also have needed a phone with a reader package anyway. Not to mention the actual GPS receiver of course.

Some time I'll have to get an update on the Trekker price, see if it has come down any.

cx2
-----

2008-02-12 01:05:15

Well, I can understand about local trains being a pest. Luckily, even though Durham is fairly local from newcastle it's on the main line so I get all the national trains while going there, ---- ditto for going back to nottingham to see my parents.

A gps is something I'd really like, ---- in fact a friend of mine said that for me a Gps would be like owning a car, sinse my freedom to go to random places I'd not been before would just be massively increased, ---- not to mention getting back to familiar places from different ones without needing to irritate my friends, and to walk off in random directions for pleasure, and be able to get back successfully.

2008-02-12 04:19:30

Hi. About the money brailler. Here's the link to the actual "tell me more" page.
The Pocket Money Brailler

2008-02-12 05:43:42

ok...I have the money brailler but thanks Andy,
I wish i could have a gps system that doesn't go on my braille note so its not a hastle to have with me because I just love to walk places in my town and just listen to the noises around me like especially stuff in the background
say from like a block away, you know what I'm saying?
I only get this plessure when I walk home from school by myself, and I don't know where else to walk.

Connor

2008-02-13 04:39:50 (edited by andy smith 2008-02-13 04:41:31)

You probably need Trecker. It's a lot lot of money... But still,

Edit: That's Trecker, not Treker... Sorry about the misspelling of that.

It's by HumanWare and if you have the Maestro PDA then you can get Trecker, same goes the other way. Or you can just get Trecker, and hell with the Maestro. Either way, its quite a lot of money...

2008-02-13 14:52:24

Well, as I said I've love one, ---- but I do not have a spare thousand pounds on me at the moment, which is annoying, ---- especially given the relative price of the tom tom.

2008-02-13 17:30:36

Very true indeed. As I said they should consider handing out Trekkers instead of providing transport in the form of taxis in some situations, it would be cheaper after just a few weeks. But then logic escapes these people.

cx2
-----

2008-02-13 18:47:20

ha, yes

Connor

2008-02-13 20:20:45

Now here might be one for the way off future...

They could conceivably develop self driving vehicles, so an accessible version of those would just be a huge leap for us. Other versions could potentially be hugely helpful to people with physical disabilities too, or older people.

cx2
-----

2008-02-14 02:00:35

Hmmmm, Cx2, which they is providing taxis? I can use my Phd disabled student allowence to pay for transport and or assistance at going to conferences related to my research, ---- bbut all other transport is payed for by me, ---- the only concession I get particularly is a disabled rail card.

2008-02-14 13:34:45

This was for college while I was living at home, at first it was the local education authority I think through the further education system and then later the same disabled students allowance while I did my HND. Since colleges, unlike universities, do not offer any type of accomodation and since I'm in a town a few miles from the college right now it wasn't much of an option. Especially since I was at the time still midway through my sight loss and adjusting.

cx2
-----

2008-02-14 17:09:04

Ah, that makes sense, I got similar taxis to and from the school where I was doing my A-levels.

2008-02-14 23:46:43 (edited by CJ 2008-02-14 23:47:56)

yes I get this thing when I am eighteen that gives me money for taxis and the like.
but here's something you guys will gape at me when I say...but what about like traveling in water?
I mean hey, what if someone with a visual imparment wants to go for a boat ride when they want to drive there own boat?
there's less to hit in the water but yeah, any ideas or suggestions?

Connor

2008-02-15 00:56:34

Lol. You could get lost. Sure there's nothing to hit. But you could get lost. I dont really have any suggestions to that.

2008-02-15 01:02:09

Dunno, the land makes a pretty big target...
tongue

cx2
-----