2008-02-09 02:08:22

well I've finally got around to trying  out Audio quake this afternoon, ----- finally!

thus far, I've played through the first 8 tutorial levels (the game seemed to encounter problems at level 9 which seemed to need the full version of quake), and I've tried a deathmatch with bots, which was fun, if rather hechtic, ---- and I stil haven't fully got used to the enemy targiting in the game so got myself fragged more times than i got the bots (I was able to axe murder one of them though, which was fun).

I've also had a go at the first shareware episode, but am running into several problemsdue to the complexity of the soundscape, but i'm guessing I just need to practice here and get used to how the audio works.
I do have some questions, especially as reguards buying the full game.

firstly, have other people designed levels for the game, ---- maps with monsters etc for the players to go through, or are all the audio quake maps thus far multiplayer and deathmatch arenas.

Secondly, what extras do you actually get with the full version of quake apart from obviously the other three episodes of the game, ---- though as I've failed rather dysmally in the first episode thus far that's not saying much. How necessary is full quake for all the things you can do with audio quake?

then, i'm having problems inputting any commands to choose maps. I can type tut for the tutorial, but not get to the individual tutorial maps, nor can I get to the individual game maps. I do believe I've managed to start deathmatches on different maps, but as I wasn't paying much attention to the layout, I can't be sure. Is there a way of knowing what game maps there are installed?

Any advice and pointers on audio quake, enemy targiting and what can be done with the game would be very handy

thanks in advance,

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-02-09 03:48:50

The shareware maps will vary in accessibility.

To change maps you can use the map command as in -
map <map name>
perhaps such as
map agdm01

I believe they also plan to make their own single player in time, along with a lot of other things.

Hope that helps.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-02-12 05:33:32

Dark, the multi player is worth getting into, even if my game isn't working

Connor

2008-02-12 13:57:17

Hmmm, I'm more a single player exploration sort of bloke myself, ---- though i have had some fun deathmatches against the bots, ---- especially when I'm able to creep up behind and axe murder one of them, lol!

I'm rather bad at dodging their shots though, sinse they seem to targit bloody fast.

thanks for the map command Cx2, I feel such a fool, ---- I just forgot the space, but I've heard there are many, many maaaaany! maps going for the game on download at different places, which could indeed be fun I think.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-02-13 02:41:12

yeah bots are a great thing to have, plus I guess I should learn to like them, on the count of my online thing not working for some reason

Connor

2008-02-13 17:20:19

The bots can indeed be fast, though it might help to not stay still and to sidestep. Hold the alt and then press left or right to do this. Probably best to offload then move.

I know in the mainstream when it came out a standard tactic was to sidestep in a circle around the enemy to make it harder to hit you, but sadly the control scheme doesn't really permit this in the audio version. I am guessing the bots will probably be able to shoot on the move whereas we have difficulty with that.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-02-13 18:40:28

I found that targeting them is very hard

Connor