2016-09-05 03:29:06

1812 Heart of Winter author info has been updated, thanks Ishan.

2016-09-05 05:54:39

@John, as regards a sticky topic for requests for old games, I'd rather not stick this one as it's got a lot more going on in it in terms of discussion that people probably don't need to waide through, though I will move it to new releases room, (it's not a game release but probably deserves to be there).

If however you write up a new topic specifically for people to make old game requests of the archive, I'll stick it in general game discussion to make finding it easier.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-09-05 08:23:19

Hey guys. I have been looking to playing chillinghim but I can't seem to find it in the archives. Am I doing something wrong or is that just not there?

2016-09-05 11:28:11 (edited by Slender 2016-09-05 11:33:17)

It is not hosted on the archive do to the legal uncertainty surrounding it, however there still have been links passed around on the forum. I believe an exception was made for Bavisoft's titles in particular.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2016-09-05 20:27:36

Could have at least asked all the developers that are still here if they're fine with having multiple copies of their stuff hosted on your servers, too. I'm fine with it, but others might get mad at it, especially games that regularly get updated. Especially since most of the games licenses say to not redistribute.

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2016-09-06 02:02:11

Why are the BG games on the website now? I thought he wanted people to contact him through e-mail to get the games. Where did the Super Shot patch come from? As far as I knew, there was no way to register the game. Is this something that came about recently?

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2016-09-06 02:02:44

Ghorthalon:
Unless I'm vastly mistaken, most games actually explicitly allow distribution of the installer, since there are pretty much no pay-to-download audiogames (the circumstance where distributing a demo installer is a problem).
However, as with Thomas's request to avoid hosting Montezuma's revenge and Ian from Spoonbill's request for same, if a dev contacts me, I'll of course respect their wishes.

2016-09-06 02:23:13 (edited by jack 2016-09-06 02:25:17)

Chriss, the Super Shot patch came about a few years ago on Klango. I happened to still have it so it's now in the archive where it will stay. It actually does work, I did manage to play the bonus game and attempt to send my score which, according to the game, worked. Not sure if it actually showed up on the scoreboard though. Also, if I can find this again, I will upload alpha 7 of Super Liam, as Liam did pass that out as a surprise to celebrate reaching 300 twitter followers.

2016-09-06 07:36:06

Actually I'm doing Lworks games next and there will be several major updates to the db required, since it's great some are around. Heck we removed the page for Supershot quite a number of years ago due to Liam taking the game down, so it'll need an entirely new entry big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-09-06 11:34:22

Hi John!
I have submitted a game called ZW zombie war however the game is no longer supported but it is interesting to play.
Please add this in an archive.
Thanks
Ishan

life's battle do not always go to the stronger and faster man,
But sooner or later who win the one who thinks he can!

2016-09-06 17:59:29

Hi John and others.
I have a really cool, old unknown audiogame in swedish on my harddrive. But, I'm afraid to even mention one single word about the game, before I know if it's leagle to share it or not. The problem is that the company who made the game randomly disappeared very long time ago. I wrote to them like 4 years ago asking them about other games they have made and asked them if I may share the game, which cost some money back in 2002 or so. Well, I never got any reply... The thing is, the game is really worth playing, and this is not bad just because this is old. This is the reason for I wanna upload it to the game archive, because this is a shame that this great game is forgotten long time ago. But, my question is: Is it leagle to share this, when the company don't reply back on mails, maybe because those people who made the game properly found an other job long time ago? If this is not leagle, then this is a huge shame, and I'll never mention the game again. If I get any private messages about this, they'll be ignored, if this is not legal.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2016-09-07 04:03:28

wow curious what is that game all about,
is that full swedish? , I mean, no translation ?

2016-09-07 08:11:56

Yes, the game is in swedish only, fantastic sound design and it's all done by a lot of great voice actors. I really hope it'll be legal, or at leased okay to share it public, because I'm really against doing ilegal things when it comes to audiogames.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2016-09-09 18:32:06

It looks like the archive is having technical difficulties.
I logged in this afternoon to find that the /games directory was missing.
I'm investigating and will post when I learn something new.
This is not a permanent setback, as all titles are also stored locally.
Step 1 is to contact my web host and figure out what happened (since my logs don't show any accidental deletions of the entire directory).
Step 2 is to either get the files restored on the host's end, or re-upload them myself.
Estimated downtime is a few days to a week.
If you have been on the archive recently and can help confirm when this issue occurred, please contact [email protected].

2016-09-09 20:39:28

John,
I was on the archive last night downloading monopoly full.zip
September 8, 2016 10:24 PM Eastern US time
It downloaded successfully.

2016-09-10 17:04:40

An update:
The games directory has been quarantined.
I'm working with the host to figure out what we can do to get the situation resolved as quickly as possible, but have no known timeframe.
The archive will continue hosting the quarantined games if and only if we can be guaranteed a repeat incident won't occur; should the issue be a developer's use of virus-like registration or installers, we'll simply remove their titles from the site and make a note of false positive generation.

2016-09-10 19:28:34

What the Bloody! This is a stupid Arcive. I'm trying not to be rood but, come on! All the links are broken! Broken broken bloody broken! Even Lworks links are broken! It says download error! Come on, someone better ix these bloody links! Wow!

2016-09-10 19:54:27

If you had read the prior posts, you would know that the directory containing all the actual games had been quarantined, and are unavailable until further notice.

2016-09-10 20:10:30

What exactly happened? Was there a virus in something I downloaded from the archive? I downloaded the Super Shot patch.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2016-09-10 20:16:41 (edited by musicalman 2016-09-10 20:19:22)

I think what most likely happened is that a false positive was found and that in turn flagged the whole archive and had it taken down for some reason. Not sure of details, but I really do hope it can be restored. If not, then a BT Sync folder is imho a viable option.
Erick, we do not appreciate that tone on this forum. Please read threads a little more carefully. The reason the games are down is not hard to find. All you needed to do was look at the last few posts of the topic... not even the entire thread... to find your answer. Then you would not have needed to waste your time posting immature hate mail on the archive. I appreciate John's effort and dedication, and you should too. He can't help but have technical difficulties.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2016-09-10 20:30:25

I really hope you can continue hosting these. This is a really great archive, and I'd hate to see it go down. If it does go down, could a Bt Sync folder be made by one of the original archive hosts or something?
Thank you.

2016-09-10 23:36:06

Erick, as a contributor to the archive and as just a forum member in general, I must say that post was pretty unnecessary. It is very easy to see that the links have gone down most likely due to a flag from an Antivirus, not because of anything we did. Having ftp access to the server I can confirm, for your benefit and for everyone else wondering, that the last time I logged into the server, the games directory was gone. Complaining to us is not only unnecessary, but it does nothing to solve the problem. If anything, JollyLeaf, our webhost, would be the one to complain to, but you still shouldn't do that, because they're doing all they can too. Shit goes down all the time, and this is just one of those incidents. Antivirus can be a real pain in the ass at times, which is why I personally just steer clear from it in general, and just use my own logic to be mindful of what I'm downloading, without any "help." As for the Bt Sync folder, I could see about making a bt sync folder. Perhaps one can be made, but we'll definitely be passing out read only keys this time round. For those who may remember, I did once set up an abandoned games bt sync folder of all the stuff I had, and I made the mistake of giving an open-access key out publicly. Turned into a mass trainwreck. We had movies placed in the folder, brand new games that were still around on their websites, some people uploaded cracked games, it was an epic fail. I think I may remember the infinite v file duplicating virus hitting the folder , thought not sure on that one. Eventually the whole thing resulted in a lot of shit getting deleted, and I was hosting on a cloud at the time which you can't trust anymore after my experience with two! platform shutdowns, Wuala and Bitcasa. So, if I'm gonna do an alternate bt sync folder, it will,
1. be hosted on my 2tb external hd, so will definitely have backups. I still have my older external as well so I can have a secondary backup in case someone hacks the folder.
2. will definitely be giving out read only keys to everyone.
3. May or may not be as up to date as the website. It looks like with bt sync you have to choose whether to give out read only or public keys, you can't give public ones to a few people then read only ones to the rest, sadly. This is why Bt Sync is not a very reliable option, so a fair warning that if one is set up, it will most likely be for alternate backup purposes only. If you really wanted the whole archive in one download, you could probably do a save complete webpage in your browser.

2016-09-10 23:50:24

um, Jack? That would be nice, but we can't exactly do a megadownload right now because of the whole uh, deletion of the games directory. Are jyou confident about its restoration?

2016-09-10 23:58:02 (edited by musicalman 2016-09-10 23:59:05)

I have no problem with read-only keys. And yes, it is possible to hand out read/write and read-only keys to the same folder. a friend of mine is hosting several BT Sync folders. One of them he entrusted me with a read/write key, but on his web site he has a read-only key. Now, I have not tested both keys or verified anything, but I am pretty sure BT Sync could do that. I'm not sure what version of BT Sync you're using, the situation I just described was with the 1.3x versions, which I still use.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2016-09-11 02:06:35

Yes, with BT Sync, you can publish a read-only key, and give the read-write key to only those people you trust not to screw things up.