2016-08-31 23:16:47

Hi all,
    As some of you may already know, over the past year or so I've been working on developing a central website to host old and abandoned games.
At long last, the audiogames archive is live and ready for use.
There are currently titles from 39 different developers available for download, with a total archive size of about 12.7gb.
The archive also hosts mods, soundpacks, maps, and other expansions for games, though the selection of these is slightly limited at the moment.
In addition, wherever possible links to developer's sites and downloads have also been included, meaning that you can use the archive as a way to look up a developer's website or a particular game's info.
The archive is at (read the below notes before you visit though):
www.agarchive.net
The faq and about the archive section is at:
www.agarchive.net/pages/faq.html

Notes:
The archive is very much in its testing phase at the moment.
If you notice anything amiss (links not working, broken installers, typos, etc) lease take a look at the contact page, and get in touch.
If you have some content you don't see listed and would like to help us get it posted, please also get in touch. This especially applies to things like adventure at c stages and top speed cars.
Finally, you should make sure that you have a file archiver, preferably 7zip, installed before you download games. Many of the files on the site have been compressed or repackaged as 7z archives, and standard windows cannot open these.

I sincerely hope this helps all of you who have posted messages looking for games recently.
Enjoy the archive, and happy gaming!

2016-09-01 01:40:08

Do you plan to offer a BT Sync or some other way in which interested people could mirror the entire archive? This sounds great, and is very much needed in the audiogames community. Thanks!

2016-09-01 02:57:18

I'll answer both questions below:
zip/7z: There's two reasons I went with 7z. The first is to delineate files that have had extra processing done to them, or files that were created while working on the archive (such as archives of mods). Unmodified files will be in zip format. If a file is 7z, its been worked on by the archive and is not exactly as packaged by the developer.
The second reason is storage. Windows only supports the deflate compression method when working with zip files, which really doesn't get very good compression when compared to 7z. Converting our archives of the wastes from zip to 7z saved several hundred mb of space. Several other similar examples have made a strong case for using 7z where reasonable.
If the archive begins to reach its storage limit of 25gb, we may start converting more zip archives to 7z as a way to save funds on extra storage, but fortunately we're not near that point yet.

There are no plans to set up a mirror of the entire archive. This is primarily because many of the files are available from other sources, so we'd essentially be creating triplicate copies and using up server resources that could be better spent on those games that aren't available elsewhere.
There will also be a lot of changes and additions to the archive (such as the presently nonexistent game recordings section), so any mirrors would mean a tremendous amount of updating.
I'm already having enough difficulty matching my local copy to the server, and really don't want to take on keeping track of a dozen community members who also want every new game on their systems.

2016-09-01 05:30:27

Thanks for the archive, John. really appreciated.

2016-09-01 06:44:25 (edited by Mike 2016-09-01 06:45:06)

Hi John,

This is pretty awesome! I helped develop Ace Fire and Chopper Challenge back in the day, great to see them in the archive. Unfortunately, the links to the installers are broken. http://www.agarchive.net/pages/devs/xSite.html

I believe I do have both games in case you need them.

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2016-09-01 08:51:37

Hi John.
Wow... This is an fantastic archive. This is what some of us have waited for in years... I get motivated to look at my old harddrive containing a lot of goodies... Now, i hate myself for not having saved the setup files for games for like 7 years...
Keep up the fantastic job man.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2016-09-01 09:13:31

Hi John.

This will be hugely useful for audiogames.net and keeping the database uptodate, since we can point people to pages in the archive to download out of use games if nobody is hosting them, as well as your webpages for each developer with the history and information about the company which people will want to read.

Great to have this resource available, even if it does mean a lot of work for me big_smile.

edit: okay I've checked a couple of things. Interestingly enough, Last crusade and mudsplat still have their developer's websites up, go and check the homepage links in the audiogames.net database. Yes, it seems nuts but it's actually true!
So, feel free to update your various listing with those games and information.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-09-01 11:14:05

Hi.
I want to say that mario from dragon slayer games is not completed there is no executable file.
I see only a file called mario.tkn but it is inpossible to start a game

2016-09-01 13:40:58

John,
The link to credits and thanks is broken.

2016-09-01 14:18:29 (edited by Phil 2016-09-01 14:32:57)

John,
I plan to add your audio games archive to my home page at,
http://www.pcs-games.net
I like to use a persons full name if possible.
From your email address I figured yours is, John Carnemolla.
I've got plenty of old game versions on my hard drive gathered over the past 20 years.
The only one in your PCS DOS list that is not PCS is,
DEVIL STAR ISLAND SCAVENGER HUNT demo.zip, 505.10 kb
I will be sending you full versions of the other DOS games not in your list.
PCS started in 1995 by Carl Mickla under the named Personal Computer Systems.
We sold GMA games for DOS until David Greenwood started his own company web page.
piter mach has been updating the DOS games making windows versions.
I have his breakout20 for Windows.
I also have self-voicing versions of these DOS games designed for playing on a CD as they were too large for a floppy disk.
Duck Hunt,
Snipe Hunt,
Space Invaders,
Red Dragon Kick Boxing Challenge,
Pack man,
A 2 Z Key Search and
Mobius Mountain.

2016-09-01 22:30:51

Sorry all for the long delay in responding. To summarize:
All of the issues reported have been fixed.
I received a huge email this morning in which was detailed about a hundred different broken links and typos. A huge thanks goes out to whoever took the time to write it, since I'm now pretty confident in saying that the archive should be stable and all links should be working.

Phil: I've added 1995 as PCS's start date. Do you know who did write devil star scavenger hunt?
As far as my email goes, please use the agarchive contact addresses, or just link directly to our contact page. This will make sure that if somebody else is working on the archive they'll be able to answer requests, rather than everything going to my personal email.

Thanks to everybody for the feedback, and for checking out the archive.
I'm glad its finally out there for everybody to use, and its nice to see such a positive response from the community.

2016-09-01 23:18:23

hi I see that mario game is still broken i dont see mario.exe file I see only mario.tkn.
There is no way to open this file.
Can you find a mario executable file and ubgrade this game directory.

2016-09-01 23:55:50

mojsior:
After a bit of testing, I seee no obvious way to get the game to run; all of the files in the directory appear to be binaries, and none of them want to execute.
I've removed the game from the archive for the moment. Hopefully somebody else has a working copy and can send it along.

2016-09-02 02:13:53

Well, I see that some audiogames require an older version of BGT.
If anybody have a demo (only) copy of BGT 1.1 I will be appreciated, only for historical reazons.

73 Wj3u

2016-09-02 02:28:52

I'll search my old hd and see if I have a working copy of Mario. I had it in the what would've been abandonware games bt sync folder, which was a trainwreck which led to things being uploaded, deleted, and it just overall becoming a disaster with it being left open.

2016-09-02 04:00:19

I have four BGT installers which I've packaged into a .7Z, I think one of them is 1.1. Here's the link.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2870100/bgt.7z

Note that older BGT versions require a license key in order to compile, and supposedly embed a unique ID into each executable which, at least during the commercial life of BGT, could be tracked back to the license used to compile them. Whether such tracking is still possible is unknown. All this to say, if someone were to provide a BGT license key (probably not technically illegal now since it's gone free) Blastbay might be able to trace any executables produced with it back to that key's owner.

2016-09-02 04:10:45

Thank you I will save it into my dropbox.

73 Wj3u

2016-09-02 05:13:53

Hi I didn't know that deal or no deal was made into an audio game.  I got it earlier and I love it!

2016-09-02 08:20:13

hey guys, any ideas who  was the  developer of the age of  slodder?
that game sounds pritty awesome, to sad it's discontinue huh,

2016-09-02 11:30:09

John,
You are correct, I forgot about,
                       DEVIL STAR ISLAND SCAVENGER HUNT
PRODUCED BY
PERSONAL COMPUTER SYSTEMS
WRITTEN BY
CARL MICKLA
SOUNDS BY
PHILIP VLASAK
It is a full game, not a demo that we developed to give out at blind conventions.
Thanks for reminding me of it.

2016-09-02 12:28:25

@Johm, looking through the archive I note that on the Bpc programs page you don't have a listing for the game Fartman. I wonder if that is one you could also include in your hosting?

@Figment, I'm currently going through the audiogames archive and adding links to the appropriate pages to game pages in the database, fixing download links as necessary. Obviously this is a major undertaking,but should hopefully help when your looking for certain abandoned games who's hosting is doubtful, as well as provide some nice summaries of developer history for missing titles.

As regards age of slaughter, there is actually a topic kicking around on the forum somewhere. It was an attempt at a medeival themed stratogy game with an emphasis on controlling your population including executions. it never really got beyond the very early demo phase, particularly because the developer was rather young at the time and not particularly interested in professional documentation, presentation or planning.

I never made a database entry since the game wasn't really complete enough to have one, but it might be an interesting curiosity, I do recall it having some sort of amusing voice acting and sound effects around the torture, albeit games like Castaways have since done a rather better job of that style of game.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-09-02 14:00:39

wow thanks for the info dark smile

2016-09-02 14:59:11

This is a very nice resource. In regards to the PCS Dos games, you don't actually have a full version of the car racing game both links point to a demo. My breakout conversion can be found Here, though it won't be updated as I managed to lose the source. A rewrite isn't out of the question though.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2016-09-02 15:41:26

Hello. Any tips how to run age of slaughter? This bgt file is full of compilation errors, even if i try it with bgt 1.1.

Hail, Daughter of Hatred. Creator of Sanctuary. Hail...Lilith.

2016-09-02 17:46:39

Once again a large summary answer:

There is no search or database feature planned at the moment.
I wouldn't be adverse to adding one, but that would require more scripting than I can handle at the moment (all of the archive's pages are pure html).
My current advice would be to email [email protected], and we can help you find the game you want.

@Dark:
I'd be happy to add fartman (as well as the other legacy bpc titles) if there's an installer or archive of it somewhere.
I wasn't able to find one while researching games, so if anybody has one, please email [email protected] smile.

PCS Games:
We're currently in the process of getting a number of other full titles added to the archive, so keep an eye on the pcs page.
Pitermach: my attempt to get a look at your games page met with a 403 forbidden error. If there's anything else up there beyond breakout that we could include in the archive, could you email links to [email protected]?

Arnold18, I'll take a look and see if I can get it to work.
Last I knew it was compiled, but I haven't played the game in years.