2016-08-28 18:22:09

As far as I know, you don't level as such, but you can increase stats by drinking appropriate potions or using other items.

Also, Lazycat, to respond to a much earlier question,my preferred speech rate is somewhere around 350. smile

2016-08-28 19:28:35

zkline wrote:

my preferred speech rate is somewhere around 350. smile

Ah, I see now why 200 would be annoyingly slow. Next update will have option to increase/decrease speech volume with F3 and F4 keys, and will automatically save current rate and volume settings upon exiting the game. This saved settings will of course be automatically loaded next time the game starts.

2016-08-28 19:39:32

death wrote:

Is there a way to level/increase stats? Maybe I just missed it.

Brogue is characteristic in that it doesn't have classic leveling and stats increase like most other roguelikes. The purpose of it is to get rid of grinding for experience points and thus make the game more balanced. Instead, what you have are strength potions and enchant scrolls. With strength potions you increase your strength which allows you to wear more heavy armor and wield bigger weapons without penalty. With enchant scrolls you can lower required strength for weapons and armor, but can also use them on rings, wands, staves and charms to make them more powerful and/or recharge faster.

2016-08-28 19:57:29

Hello folks! Lazycat, thanks for the awesome game so far. I'll give it a go and report back with some ideas and/or suggestions.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2016-08-28 20:24:22

OK, i have to say, i am more a big fan of this stats leveling stuff. But sometimes other concepts are another kind of fun! And what we have here is a lot of fun!

I found out the german combination for the tig-key. It is a little strange cause i have to press shift and 6 and the game doesnt like it so much. So here comes another sugestion:
Could you bring in some kind of mapping file where you can alter some keys?

I also found a little problem. I cant use scrolls of identify so well. The drop down menu to select the item doesnt work exactly.

And i got another question:
I found a lot of white potions and picked them up. I am not sure, but i only had one. Can you only cary one potion or scroll of a kind?

One last general question:
Are you familiar with other sourcecodes of those games?
I absolutely would donate for other accessibilityfeatures. And i think some of us in the community would do the same!

2016-08-28 20:51:44

Just a question, is it possible in this game to meet other charakters and form a group of charakters, like in entombed or not? I'll defenately try it out, it looks amazing. I liked the demo of entombed, so I think that i'll like this one as well. Maybe it is a good competitor to entombed, since the registration method I don't like, so I haven't bought it?

2016-08-28 21:06:24

Hi Niklas!
Oh yes! Sometimes you will find Monsters wich will follow you. For example, i found a monkey. But, what a pitty, i burned him by mistake with a scroll or potion, haha.

2016-08-28 21:23:48

Niklas wrote:

Just a question, is it possible in this game to meet other charakters...

You can find shackled monsters that are tortured by other monsters. If you free them they become your allies, then they follow you and fight with you. Some magic user monsters don't fight, but instead they can heal you, speed you up, or cast protection spell on you to decrease damage you receive.

2016-08-28 21:39:10

firefly82 wrote:

Could you bring in some kind of mapping file where you can alter some keys?

Yes, in the next release there will be file called "keymap.txt" in which you can remap keys. In this file I already included additional mapping for back-tick key function, so full description for selected or targeted items and monsters can beside the back-tick key also be called up with right square bracket key, with backslash key, and with slash key.

firefly82 wrote:

The drop down menu to select the item doesnt work exactly.

Yes, I noticed this bug few hours ago and am fixing it right now.

firefly82 wrote:

I found a lot of white potions and picked them up. I am not sure, but i only had one.

You are able to carry multiple potions and other items, unless your inventory is full. When you inventory is full and you try to pick up an item you will hear distinct warning sound so you will know your inventory is full.

firefly82 wrote:

Are you familiar with other sourcecodes of those games?

I do not accept donations, I only work for free. If a game is open source I might be able to make some small changes and additions to make it more accessible, but I'm afraid nothing extensive like this what I can do with this game.

2016-08-28 21:40:46

wow, sounds great. Will try this one.

2016-08-28 22:00:07

Wow! That all sounds absolutely great! I cant wait to check the new update!

OK, i got another general question about the speed. Does the speech interrupt the gameplay? I noticed i have to wait till the battletexts are completely spoken before i can do my next attack. Would it be possible to stop the speech when you press the key for the next attack? I only ask cause sometimes you need more time to defeat an easy monster cause of the speech. I know this is a little tricky.

2016-08-28 22:01:26

Niklas wrote:

Will try this one.

Brogue is one of the most popular roguelikes and generally praised for its design, for tactical and strategic options that arise from the ability to use items is versatile and imaginative ways, which means there is almost always more than one way how to handle each situation and save yourself from being killed.

Here is Brogue forum where you can find some tips and tricks:
https://www.reddit.com/r/brogueforum/

2016-08-28 22:09:52

firefly82 wrote:

Would it be possible to stop the speech when you press the key for the next attack?

It's a bit tricky because combat messages are mixed with all other kind of messages, and I had to make them play in full before the next message so you don't miss a message. I'll try to find some better solution.

2016-08-28 22:32:35

i enjoy this game emensely. will it be able to rea the descriptions of items? a suggestion about doors, can there be a key to go to the ones found, like there is for stairs? and i am not sure if i confused items but, when starting a new game, do item effects change? for example, i was playing, and an orange potion was fire. next time i played, it was something else.

Why didn't the Romans find algebra difficult?
because x is always 10!

2016-08-28 23:23:28

Hi zub0! The levels are allways generated randomly. Thats the fun with this kind of games. Each new game is a new game cause you allways encounter other stuff like items, mosnters and so on.
And yes, there will be a key for selecting doors. I mentioned it before.

2016-08-28 23:34:22

zub0 wrote:

will it be able to rea the descriptions of items?

If you are using the latest update (see the first post) you should already be able to read full description of targeted or under cursor items and monsters, as well as of items in the inventory. Use ` key, that is back-tick key located above TAB on keyboards with US layout.

zub0 wrote:

a suggestion about doors, can there be a key to go to the ones found, like there is for stairs?

Yes, it's on my high priority list of things to do for the next update.

zub0 wrote:

and i am not sure if i confused items but, when starting a new game, do item effects change?

They do change for all magical items. It's a standard kind of mini-game in roguelike games. There are certain strategies how to go about identifying potions and scrolls. You don't really want to use potions and scrolls as soon as you find them. Wait till you get to depth 3 or 4 when you accumulate more of them, then the kind of potion you have the most would likely be strength potion, and the kind of scroll you have the most would likely be enchant scroll. But this not always true.

Sometimes when low on health and while still being surrounded by monsters you might want to start drinking unidentified potions or reading unidentified scrolls hoping you will drink restore health potion or read teleportation scroll, but that's desperate measure and really the last thing you want to do because instead of restoring health you could set yourself on fire or cause some other negative effect if you drink bad potion or read bad scroll.

Quick tip: Don't drink unidentified potions on flammable surface. In case you set yourself on fire standing in a grass field will only make things worse, and instead you might might want to test potions near water, so you walk to it and put off the fire. But do not do it while standing in the water either, as fire will then produce hot steam which hurts just as well.

2016-08-28 23:50:04 (edited by stewie 2016-08-28 23:59:47)

Hi, is there any chance that this for windows could use something like the Tolk library? Some people don't tend to like ESpeak that much and I don't see a way to adjust speech rate/voice variant so its kind of slow right now. This project is awesome so far though.
[edit]Just saw that was added, thanks. Is there a hotkey list somewhere?[/edit]

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2016-08-28 23:50:14

Hello folks. Lazycat, the only things I would suggest for now is to add doors to the tab scrolling and to add more sounds when possible.
Not sure if it is already in the game but, is there a key to cancel an action like enchanting? Also, can someone explain me how the cursor mode works? I couldn't figure it out completely.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2016-08-29 00:25:48 (edited by stewie 2016-08-29 01:00:34)

So I've played this a bit more and have some suggestions.
Is it possible to add some feature that announces when openings around you change? Like if you were following a wall north of you, when the wall was no longer there it would list the things around you such as "tunic 5 north, wooden wall 3 east", etc. Also keys to scan in the 8 directions would be cool.
Speech rate currently doesn't save.
Is there a chance a volume setting for ESpeak could be added?
Speech for browsing the main menu and for loading saved games I think is a required addition (for anyone unaware, the o key is open save, shift s saves.)
I think there really needs to be a hotkey list also.
Is there a way to read all of the display information such as gold/str/etc?

I'm also wondering how closely the speech branch is tied into the rest of the game. I don't see a branch for it on the main github project page.

I have also encountered a bug. If I use an enchant scroll and can't enchant anything, I get stuck in the menu. Escape just brings me back to press space/you can't enchant that.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2016-08-29 01:06:29

The sounds question would be the next I had asked. Are the sounds currently implemented background ambiances only? It would be cool if the different weapons, monster types and such would get sounds as well.

2016-08-29 02:54:47 (edited by LazyCat 2016-08-29 03:02:34)

stewie wrote:

Hi, is there any chance that this for windows could use something like the Tolk library?

I'm afraid not. What's the problem with eSpeak?

stewie wrote:

I don't see a way to adjust speech rate

See the first post to install the latest update, then you will be able to adjust the speed with F1 and F2 keys.

stewie wrote:

how the cursor mode works?

Press ENTER and then use arrow keys or numpad keys to examine tiles around the character. Press SPACE to exit cursor mode so you can again move the character with arrow keys or numpad keys. To move you can also use x key to activate auto-explore.

2016-08-29 03:08:33

Haramir wrote:

is there a key to cancel an action like enchanting?

There is currently a bug which doesn't let you to cycle through inventory items and apply the enchant. The bug is fixed now for the next update. Enchant action can not be canceled, and there is no reason why would you want to waste enchant scroll, but instead you simply need to enchant one of the items in the inventory.

2016-08-29 03:08:40

Nothing is wrong with ESpeak, just people prefer screenreader output if possible. I'll play it either way. the game is very accessible right now, the navigation features I suggested would be really useful.

2016-08-29 03:20:58

stewie wrote:

Is it possible to add some feature that announces when openings around you change

That would be too complex to implement and I think in practice would be quite messy since the tiles open and close around the character all the time as you move around the dungeon. 

stewie wrote:

Also keys to scan in the 8 directions would be cool.

You can use numeric keypad to move cursor and your character in all 8 directions.

stewie wrote:

Speech rate currently doesn't save. Is there a chance a volume setting for ESpeak could be added?

It will save in the next update, along with speech volume. Speech rate can be adjusted with F1 and F2 keys. Speech volume you will be able to adjust in the next update with F3 and F4 keys.

stewie wrote:

I think there really needs to be a hotkey list also.

There will be file called "readme.txt" in the next update with the basic instructions and list of commands.

stewie wrote:

Is there a way to read all of the display information such as gold/str/etc?

Not yet, but there will be.

stewie wrote:

If I use an enchant scroll and can't enchant anything, I get stuck in the menu.

That bug is fixed now, it will work properly in the next update.

2016-08-29 03:51:10

The information thing for movement doesn't have to be extensive, it'd just be useful to hear something like "opening north." It would only speak when the thing north of you actually changes, not all the time. Right now it gets repetitive checking the cursor all the time or bumping into walls a lot. Spacial positioning is important for a roguelike, this would help get bearings a lot.