2016-08-25 21:28:51 (edited by zkline 2016-09-03 18:46:38)

Hi All,

Though roguelikes have a reputation in general for being difficult to play, the author of one, Brogue, is interested in making his much more friendly than is the norm. He's created a playable version which uses Espeak to announce tiles, messages, and so forth, and includes some sound and music.

This is still fairly early in development, but I recommend anyone interested in roguelike RPGs try it out. Download the game for Windows, run brogue.exe, and press "n," to get started.

Please leave feedback for the author.

Full Windows download

Latest Windows Update (replace brogue.exe from the download above with this one)

Windows Console Version, without Espeak speech or sound

Full Linux download

Latest Linux update (replace bin/brogue-SPEAK from above download with this one.)

Linux Console Version, without Espeak speech or sound

Official Forum, including weekly competitions

2016-08-25 23:37:46

Sounds interesting, downloading.

I hope this turns out better than Entombed. Even though I went through the dungeons slowly and killed off every monster I encountered, the monsters grew too powerful to beat, and there was no way to find more battles to gain more experience. So in frustration I quit playing the game. I'd have been really annoyed if I had paid for the full version before discovering this problem with the game's design. And it seemed like a good game too.

2016-08-25 23:41:16

Well, this game has been under development for quite some time, the audio stuff alone is new. Good luck. There are still some rough edges, but it's pretty cool.

2016-08-25 23:52:22

Hey hey!
It is allways interesting when sighted people try to bring accessibility in their games!
I dont like the movement so much. But i am not a big fan of too much wayfinding and so on.
Could you ask the developer to create an account here on audiogames so we all could get in contact with him? Would be very cool!
HAHA, i miss wastelander so much!

2016-08-26 00:16:04

Hi.
Can some one tell me where is any instruction or help how to play that, for example I dont know how to start a battle with rat or another monster

2016-08-26 01:19:52

Usually, in roguelikes to fight a creature you either move in its direction, or use a ranged item of some sort.

You start with darts, which make a pretty decent ranged weapon, for instance. Throw them from your inventory with T, and the game will auto-select the monster for you if you're in range.

THere's a list of commands here, though the game also has built-in help with the question-mark command, (?). I don't think that speaks yet. Basically, the numeric keypad and the overview with the enter and tab keys will help you with most things.

2016-08-26 03:42:20

is this game multi player

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2016-08-26 03:49:01

No multiplayer. Most roguelikes are single-player experiences.

2016-08-26 04:33:32

wierd, I got not found messege when I enter the window's download link

2016-08-26 05:11:27

Sounds cool, I'll give this a shot.  Thanks for this.

2016-08-26 10:05:29 (edited by LazyCat 2016-09-03 03:22:28)

Hi,

I'm the guy who is making Brogue-SPEAK, but I'm not the author of the original Brogue game, it was made by the guy called Brian Walker. I only expanded it to support music and sound effects, and thus I'm very familiar with the code and how the game works, so I can modify it in any way desired.

The goal of the game is to get down to the 26th depth, grab the Amulet of Yendor and go back up to exit the dungeon where you entered it at the beginning. The game is not easy. Usually even after months of playing people struggle to get beyond depth 15, but that doesn't stop them from keep playing, keep trying and learning new strategies and new tactics. It's not about beating the game, it's about playing, learning and discovering.

Instructions:

The goal of the game is to get down to the 26th floor and get the amulet of Yendor, then
escape the dungeon by exiting on the 1st floor through the doorway where you came in.

At the main menu, press n key to start a new game, press control-n to start a game with a
particular dungeon seed, press o key to open a saved game, press h key for high score
table, or press q key to quit the game. During the game press shift-s to save the game, or
shift-q to quit current game.

Use F1 and F2 keys to adjust speech rate. Use F3 and F4 keys to adjust speech volume. Use
F5 and F6 to adjust music and sound effects volume.

Press x key to engage auto-explore and move through the dungeon. This function will also
automatically pick up all items and fight monsters if they are on the way. However, this
will not work if the pathway is blocked by fire or harmful gas, so you have to wait until
fire dies out and some save pathway is open to use auto-explore again. Also, when inside a
treasure room, where you can pick up only one item, auto-explore will not pick up any, but
instead you must choose yourself and navigate the character manually to the item you want.

Press TAB to invoke "target select mode" and cycle through monsters, items, and terrain
features currently in the character's field of view. Press ENTER to move towards a target.
Press SPACE to cancel "target select" mode. Use this TAB function frequently in order not
to miss important terrain feature such as pressure plates and levers, which when activated
will open previously closed pathways or lift up cages guarding treasure room keys.

Press period or comma key to target staircases and cycle through other important tiles or
items, such as keys, levers, treasure room doors and pressure plates. Only discovered tiles
may be targeted, but unlike TAB function this will target important tiles even if they are
not in the character's field of view. Generally You would want to use this function before
descending down to a deeper floor to check if there is anything important you might have
missed on the current floor.

Press ENTER to invoke "cursor mode" and examine the map with arrow keys or numeric pad keys.
Pressing ENTER again will make the character automatically move towards the cursor.
Use SPACE to cancel cursor mode.

In both cursor and target select mode, press either backslash key, or right square bracket
key, or back-tick key to get detailed description of targeted item or monster.

If not in cursor or target select mode you can move the character manually with arrow keys
or numeric pad keys in all 8 directions.

Open inventory by pressing i key or slash key, then cycle through items with UP and DOWN
arrow keys. To get detailed description of currently selected item press ENTER key. To close
inventory press SPACE or ESCAPE key.

Press z key or numeric pad 5 key to rest and replenish health. Press shift-z to replenish
health automatically until it's full. The health gets replenished even when you walk, so to
conserve food you don't really want to rest too much in one place except when your health is
really low.

Press m key to open message history, then use arrow keys to scroll through messages. Press
SPACE or ESCAPE key to close message history.

If you are facing multiple monsters, try to retreat in a doorway or narrow hallway, so you
can take them on one by one, instead of being surrounded and thus getting hurt by multiple
monsters in a single turn.

Sometimes running away is better option than fighting, so if facing a tough monster consider
escape by jumping down into a chasm. Unless they can fly, monsters will not follow you down.

Visit Brogue forum, here: https://www.reddit.com/r/brogueforum
There are weekly competitions held there and anyone can participate. When a competition is
in progress it will be the first thread at the top. You can search for "Weekend Contest" to
see how past competitions played out and read stories how people overcame the same obstacles
in different ways, what items they enchanted, what items they took from treasure rooms, and
what strategies and tactics they used. You can learn a lot by reading these stories and you
can also play the same dungeon as they did to see how far would you manage to get.

2016-08-26 17:07:57

As I said in the Reddit thread, support of either speeding up speech, or, even better, the ability to support NVDA would be nice as that is also open source and, as far as i know is relatively easy to add support for would be great.  Two other things that come to mind is the ability to check your players health or stats, as right now I have no idea when would be a good time to rest, or what my strength is (or how to train/level my character for another), and the ability to check previous messages.  While exploring, if you get multiple messages, with the way you have it writeen now, Espeak will only speak the last thing onscreen.  Pressing M will bring up the messages screen, but will not read them.  Same thing if I try using a potion, from my inventory screen and their are other things happening, I miss what the potion did to me.  I'm guessing that you're planning to add the flavor text for the items later, as right now, we can't see it, so we miss what things happen when we equip rings and such.  Or maybe they had no enchantments, I'm not sure with some that I equipped.  That's all I can think of right now.

2016-08-27 03:39:15

Windows update download: https://sourceforge.net/projects/brogue … te_win.zip

All the issues reported are addressed in this update. The download contains only executable binary file, so you need full install from the previous download where the rest of the files are. Replace/overwrite "brogue.exe" with the one contained in this update.

2016-08-27 03:40:39 (edited by LazyCat 2016-08-27 03:41:29)

Linux update download: https://sourceforge.net/projects/brogue … lin.tar.gz

The download contains only executable binary file, so you need full install from the previous download where the rest of the files are. Replace/overwrite "brogue-SPEAK" in bin folder with the new one contained in this update, and you still run the game outside of the bin folder with the script named "brogue".

2016-08-27 03:50:22

can I know wich issues has been fix?

2016-08-27 03:50:58

Let me just make it clear that this is very early stage of the development, although I think it already covers and makes accessible the most important parts of the game. The point here is that this can only improve as much as I get input from people about what needs to be added, what needs to be improved. So do not hesitate to tell me about whatever you think could be done better, or whatever little thing you think is missing.

2016-08-27 04:03:07 (edited by LazyCat 2016-08-27 04:08:45)

JasonBlaze wrote:

can I know wich issues has been fix?

Speech speed can be adjusted with F1 and F2.
New messages get spoken only after previous message has finished.
In cursor mode every tile is described even if it is the same as the last spoken description.
TAB function will announce whether the selected target is clearly reachable from the current position or not.
Entering "cursor mode" will announce character's health status as a percentage, which is how it visually displays.

Not sure if I'm forgetting something, but in any case if there is anything still missing or can be done better, just tell me about it.

2016-08-27 04:49:07

Any way we could get descriptions for potions/scrolls, or is that not a thing in the regular game.

Silly Gohan, animals don't eat people. People eat animals.

2016-08-27 04:53:08

great job!
this is getting better big_smile keep it up smile
how about checking stats such as  str?

2016-08-27 05:02:54 (edited by LazyCat 2016-08-27 05:15:34)

death wrote:

Any way we could get descriptions for potions/scrolls, or is that not a thing in the regular game.

Yes, next update will be all about including all the extended descriptions. They can be pretty long and detailed so I didn't think they should be spoken automatically and have yet to think of a good way how the player should choose when to hear this additional info. Any suggestions welcome.

2016-08-27 05:08:53

JasonBlaze wrote:

great job!
this is getting better big_smile keep it up smile
how about checking stats such as  str?

There definitively will be an option to check all the stats. I could make it read them all when you enter "cursor mode" along with health status, but that might be too much info bunched all together, so I'm still trying to figure out how to best access that additional player info. All suggestions welcome.

2016-08-27 05:11:32

Perhaps pressing shift I on an item to get more information on it? Not sure about stats. Perhaps a menu of some sort?

Silly Gohan, animals don't eat people. People eat animals.

2016-08-27 07:32:22

I just had a chance to try out the new build, and am very impressed. IT took me a bit to get used to the fact that Enter no longer announces your current tile by default. This is probably for the best, since we're getting health information along with it.

I particularly appreciate the info on path visibility.

One suggestion for Espeak would be a way to save the preferred speech rate between games. For that matter, is "suspending," still in beta? I'm surprised, given how long Brogue's been in development.

Thanks again smile

2016-08-27 08:37:07

Hello.

How do we fight in this game? I know I can get weapons but how do I hit monsters?

I'm gone for real :)

2016-08-27 09:03:09

Hey hey!
Realy nice job so far! I like it a lot allready!
About the stats: Maybe you could add something like a character-sheet-menue where you can switch through all the important characterinformations.
Another question: Could you add a manual for the game? If there is allready an existing one? Only for reading a little about how the game works, the Gameplay, the items, an how stats influences the game?

NVDA-support would be realy great. But i absolutely understand if this  interfears too much with your crossplatformdevelopement.

Let me say it again! Realy nice work! We do need more guys like you!