2016-08-21 16:53:59 (edited by cj89 2016-08-21 16:56:09)

The subject says it all really, has anyone gotten or experienced an LG phone, if so which ones? I'm sort of considering the G4 or 5 as my Nexus 2013 is slowly but surely dying. I haven't ruled out things like the S7, possibly Nexus 6, stuff like that. I've heard of some people in the past having trouble with the UI (though if its really that bad, I could help that somewhat by switching launchers, possibly.)

2016-08-21 17:03:49

My last experience with LG was in 2007-2009 when I had a phone from their company. The phone didn't have any accessibility services of course,  just I learnt its interface by heart and then I switched to Nokia. I could say it was a wonderful device, especialy for listening to music as it had three dedicated buttons on the second panel with a small screen.

Speaking about the new models, many people, and especially many tech blogs rank LG as the best phone in the market. in 2013 and 2014, the LG G2 and G3 were chosen the best phones of both years, respectively.
I haven't tried one, but I'd recommend LG G5, It's an impressive phone with a lot of features.

2016-08-21 17:18:47

I've always considered LG to be a generic brand name when compared to real brands like Panasonic, Sony, and others. Despite that feeling, I got an LG Spirit cell phone running Android 4.0 from Metro PCS back in 2013. What a big mistake that turned out to be! Compared to the Motorola D2 phone running Android 2.3, the LG phone was complete crap.

With Talkback running it wasn't possible to answer incoming calls because Talkback swallowed the gesture needed to answer the calls. There was no way to manage files on the phone with a USB connection to a PC. LG apparently decided that nobody would want that feature so they disabled it. And it was always losing the connection to cellular data that required power cycling the phone to get it back. After that experience, I will not buy another LG product ever again.

2016-08-21 18:41:18 (edited by pitermach 2016-08-21 18:42:07)

LG accessibility on Android used to suck, however starting with the G2 onward LG started putting in effort to make it a lot nicer. LG and Samsung are the only companies that give you a tripple-click home option to toggle accessibility, plus additional hints in their stock applications for Talkback. They also make a phone that still has a physical keypad. IMO that phone in particular is crap in terms of specifications, but the important takeaway is that a lot of blind people bought it and the UI works well with accessibility services which is something that's carried over to every model now.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2016-08-22 01:17:58

@figment:
I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the Spirit, though that hardly surprises me. ICS was the first version where Talkback supported touchscreens and the only thing available to you was explore by touch. Actually by 2013 we were already heading towards Kitcat, so JB was at least a thing. I could see where that would be misleading though, to this day fragmentation is still one of Droids biggest problems.
@pitermach:
Oh neat! Glad to see accessibility is a thing LG considered. lol I'm amazed that a phone with a keypad is still even a thing. If it works for someone though, why not I guess. Its a shame that things like LG modules never really kicked off, but in this day and age its not unreasonable. The average consumer replaces their phone every 2 or so years anyway, so I feel that your really only buying into a niche market.

2016-08-22 15:55:30

Android's fragmentation and my experiences with Talkback were the primary reasons why I switched to an iPhone despite how much I don't like the way Apple does business. But then I'm a Windows user and Microsoft isn't what I'd call innocent either!