2016-08-21 22:11:31

hi,
Avira does have a daily add, however it can be dismissed easily.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2016-08-21 22:29:31

to those advocating for Sophos,
Not to long ago I was infected with a virus and or bit of malware, not sure which precisely, but it obviously required internet connectivity to continue working properly... I say this because it's processes would not function without it whatsoever, but once the connection came back they would relaunch themselves within at least a minute of the connection's return.  My question is, how does cloud protection, which from my understanding would require an internet connection, tackle such an issue?  Does this program have realtime monitoring which would have caught this one before it ever blew past my guard and, if not, some other method by which one can scan offline if necessary?

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2016-08-21 22:45:35 (edited by turtlepower17 2016-08-21 22:51:56)

Nocturnus, it appears that you and I posted at the same time. so I'll answer your question here above my original reply.

I think I said in a previous post that Sophos does have a separate offline scanner. You can install it alongside any other antivirus without problems. here's a link to more information about it, and you can also download it from this page.

https://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/f … -tool.aspx

At Afrim, yeah, that's it to a tee. Also, once Vipre starts a scan, the spike in RAM usage is absolutely insane. Before I upgraded this machine to 64 bit, it used to get to the point where anywhere from 75 to 80% of my RAM was being used by Vipre whenever it would initiate a scan. I literally couldn't do anything else with my computer.

In the new version, you also, as far as I could tell, can't force it to never do automatic scans. It used to be that, in the scheduler, you could uncheck both daily and weekly scans, and then just manually run them yourself if you chose. And of course it has realtime protection, so it's not as though that's a security threat.

I totally agree that people who think they'll be fine without an antivirus are kidding themselves. the point of an antivirus isn't to be your babysitter, cleaning up after daily intrusions and threats. If that's happening to anyone, that person probably shouldn't be using a computer. No, I would say that the average user at least has a vague understanding of how these things work, due to things like Cryptolocker, phishing scams, and zero day vulnerabilities, to say nothing of high profile hacks of large retail chains and important political figures, being covered by the media. Of course, the media always blows things way out of proportion, but the point is that people are aware now that computers are as dangerous as they are powerful in the wrong hands. It's just a matter of knowing what to do in the event that you find yourself in a bad situation, and that's where a lot of people don't understand as much as they should. I would never recommend that anyone use a PC without an antivirus, unless it's some sort of legacy DOS or other system that never goes on the internet or something. Even so, you'd also have to make sure you never plugged any external drives into that computer unless you knew for sure they were clean.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2016-08-21 23:41:22

Wow, 80% of 8 GB it is too much. Mine would not go less than yours, but I never checked it. The system would become really slow, and apart from microsoft word or winamp,  noone would work trouble-free.

2016-08-21 23:46:27

Hi all.
With so many possitive reviews on here and other places I am seriously thinking about switching to sophos as an alternitive.
I do have a few questions.
1.  if I use all my 10 pcs on my home licence how much does it cost to get more.
2.  the offline scanner you can pay to get a licence to fix issues, does that mean on any computer and how much does it cost, if its a flat rate one off for everything it may be a good thing to have a licence along side.
3.  if a system dies, can I remove it from my dash so I can install another one in its place.
I do wander how it handles it if malware goes online as well if it happens.
I do have a connection as do others here which is broadband and cloud protection would be nice.
How do sophos handle false positives, reporting my falses to ms yealds nothing at all.
In  fact I really had to search on how to do those things.
If I for example have sophos but others have it say in my family not the same licence and I am allowed to can I log online and manage their stuff remotely from my workstation.
Has sophos remained accessible for an extended period of time.\
Msse is a pile of shit but is the most accessible, but if this works it may be worth me at least switching my 3 network workstations.
2 of which my one and my brothers heavily active units, my dad is not as active but is just using defender.
I really want a good way to manage false alarms and stuff that shouldn't be quarenteened etc though.
My other reason for the switch is if I exclude a file I assume since my settings are stored in the cloud that it will continue to be excluded.
This is important as if I have to reload it means well a lot of issues redoing things.
Do sophos have a security suite for home users and how much is it, does it have lifetime membership and for how many systems if it does.
Vipre was what I was aiming eventually to handle but if sophos home does it I am likely to switch to it in the near future.
Msse and me have been friends for ages, but now msse is starting to tell me that files I have used for ages and ages are malware and that really pisses me off as I have to spend time clearing them, excluding them, reinstalling them, and resetting my security settings.
Its not as bad as norton or avg but I'd still like to like have that entire thing fuck off entirely because I really don't want my security software to be so stupid.
I must say I do like online cloud protection which only functions when online.
Since its unlikely anything you get on a cd has a virus on it unless a friend gives you an infected one and everyone usually has a virus checker.
It should also cut down in processing as you depend on the net to handle your work.
Right now I could do with some more upgrades, this year I may have a little more as long as nothing falls over.
Weather I spend it on games or updates though is the other thing.
I havn't found anything I want just yet but I am at the point where I am done for now.
My next major upgrade as long as I don't have to replace any workstations, external drives, etc is a nas and maybe a server for internal and maybe external use.
I also want to get a 8 hour battery to run the router off of for phone access and also a new printer with high deff scanning.
It all depends how long things hold though.

2016-08-22 03:17:46

At Afrim, no, it would use 80% of 4GB, since at the time I was running a 32 bit system. At the time when I bought this machine, about 4 years ago, I didn't realize that a 32 bit system couldn't handle more than 4GB of RAM. So I bought 8GB and stuck it in, only to find out that 32 bit doesn't work that way. I didn't switch over to 64 bit until just a few months ago, though, because I didn't think I could format my system without sighted help until I discovered the talking Windows PE. But that's a whole other discussion. The point is, even with a bit less than 4GB available, the amount of resources that Vipre was taking was totally unacceptable.

In fact, the problems I was having with Vipre were part of the reason I finally decided to go to 64 bit at all. While the scans didn't bring my computer to a screeching halt after that, it still slowed me down enough that I finally said screw this, I'm going to see what other accessible options I have.

Just for curiosity's sake, and because I tend to be the one that lots of people come to for software recommendations, how accessible is Avast these days? I've been hearing conflicting reports about it, and I know they also switched to a cloud model recently too. I don't know if that means they redesigned the interface of the program at all, but they say that, since virus detection and stuff happens in the cloud, it's very light on system resources now, which is always a plus. Does anybody have any thoughts on that?

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2016-08-22 15:49:49

The last time I tried Avast, which was earlier this year, the only way to navigate it was to use the touch cursor in JAWS. I believe NVDA's object navigation is essentially the same thing.

I personally don't see the advantage of cloud based virus scanning. I mean how hard is it to make sure your anti virus software is fully up to date just before scanning? Plus I don't consider sending all your files to some server in who knows where for virus scanning as a very good way to protect your privacy.

2016-08-22 15:50:06

So, after meticulous research as well as reading the information presented on this forum, it looks like MSE (now windows defender) is once again the clear winner in terms of providing an accessible set of security tools.  While some might say that other programs are scoring higher on detecting and protecting against threats, MSE's score has gone up from 2015 to now, bringing it up to a nice 94 percent detection rate, even though it has been reported that MS themselves state it's best meant as a baseline protection rather than a complete and comprehensive one.  The long and short of it is that, if you're good with computer maintenance and you're not trying to run it on an already infected and malware infested system, MSE will still do the job while also being accessible and unobtrusive, sitting almost completely in the background and letting you carry on with your day.
As far as I can tell, Sophos is still doing best at being a network security protection company even if they are making their entry into the home market.  I'm glad I'm hearing what I'm hearing though where accessibility is concerned.  Avira is still an antivirus software, not an overall set of malware protection and detection tools that would more than likely require you to have at least one more tool on hand such as Malwarebytes, which I would recommend at any rate.  AVG's possibly not playing nice with NVDA and or any other screen reader would make me a little hesitant to recommend it to anyone looking for accessible software, even if it is currently scoring higher than any other free option.  I don't know much about Panda, save that they've been around for a long time.  If Vipre is as process intensive as users here claim it is, then the 39 dollar price tag is hardly worth it, when you combine it with PC mag's fair raiting and poor malware detection rates as well as the fact that it was removed from the AV-Test altogether.
the bottom line: for all of the reasons I've outlined above, MSE still takes my pick at being most accessible and overall best free product when it comes to protecting your windows PC, assuming you exercise common sense as described by afrim in post 7.  If you're running anything above windows 7, leave it up to windows defender, which is, for all intents and purposes the same product.  Update your windows PC's on a regular basis, keep a copy of both malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware lying around, and your PC should be set for a good while.
It is unfortunate that the paid for programs all seem to be only somewhat accessible or fail on accessibility altogether.  ESET scores nicely as does Kaspersky, and if you have sighted people around to coach you on using them and or who will gladly come in once a week to take care of your maintenance needs I suppose it's worth paying the 40 plus dollars depending on which you choose for peace of mind.  My overall takeaway from all of this study is that we are only somewhat better off now than we were nearly 10 years ago, that blind and vision impaired individuals with computers must be more vigilant than those who are sighted, and that there is no one size fits all solution other than common sense, which we cannot purchase nor download.  That being the case, use what you use and stay safe, peeps.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2016-08-22 20:28:03

Well nocturnis that is at least refreshing.
I really do not want to move away from msse, a lot of people on other lists said it was good but is now bad.
I am online and sophos could be an alternitive.
As for updates most major stuff does itself automatically.
I do manually update some stuff.
I am carefull where I go for the most part and have noscript on firefox.
However I have always wandered for something a bit better.
Yesterday I contemplated doodling with sophos for all systems.
I have a small home network and a cloud based model means better management.
I do realise I loose local functionality so will have to get another program.
Its good to see that msse is once again up there and defender is there to.
Fact is, what I like about the ms stuff is it manages itself itself, its doing it now.
The only thing I have had to do is exclude a lot of large program backup folders of files on the backup drives because I had some questionable files in there being flagged as bad, though I have made those go away now the folder always loaded slowly during opening.
Sadly at least 2 false alarms have come up and I am again wandering if the app is worth it.
With large broadband going on, it may make sence.
On the privacy front privacy is dead.
We submit ourselves to social networks, emails, skype, our picture no our entire lives are online.
When we put our bank info it accesses something on the cloud our identities our government information.
We have allready chucked the notion of privacy out the window.
While you could hang on to hte ilution that you have it, there actually is not much more of a step to chuck it completely out the window.
Even ms spys on its users.
Even the government spy on us.
With that said the only protection we need then is to stop the crimms coming back in to make our lives hell and that is it.
The other thing is to make sure those that have our info do their jobs and not suck.
Bar that I see no real advantage to protecting our information.
Even if we never used a computer in our lives our info would be stored online and if that is the case privacy is dead.
I don't mean be stupid about it, but the net mirrors the real world now, and we should treat both as such.
I know text is not the right medium for a full descussion but thats the life we live in.
There was a time before blogs when we could be isolated and not be noticed but even now someone is listening its the net and the net can be real life in some cases, this case for example.
The only difference is it never sleeps and is still a little wild westy or can be dangerous but so can the city streets at night.
THe real world has the same dangers.
I actually think we should quit the notion of privacy as such because we chucked it out a long time ago.
To be private now you would have to have no registrations with anyone, the net, you couldn't have even a birth certifficate, heck the dead are registered somewhere.
I don't think there is a way to remain private this day and age.
We can fake it to some extent but still.
Its why we must be carefull what we do both on and off the net.

2016-08-22 20:51:45

To be honest, I don't understand the fuss about privacy. Use whatever you like, do whatever you like, don't give information to suspissious places, don't clikc on suspissious links, you're good to go.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2016-08-22 21:19:02

Hi,
I think an antivirus like Windows defender will do the job quite well on a user's computer who pays attention to where he goes, what he visits, what he downloads, and what content does he work with. If you ar a basic user, and by a "basic user" I mean somebody who spends hours on youtube, chats with others on facebook, listens to his favourite music offline, downloads music from youtube, and works with excel/word/ pdf documents, he doesn't need to have a strong guard on his computer, cause these sites I described above are usually safe. As I have wrote on one of previous posts, a USB scanner is also a good alternative besides your daily antivirus If you need to work with your friend's USB, you can't be sure where that USB has traveled, and what has been stored in it.

2016-08-22 21:20:54

@Nocturnus

Nice report, but with one little quibble, well done, thumbs up!

I had always thought that Windows Defender was anti spyware protection that came with Windows and could be upgraded to Security Essentials which adds anti virus protection.

I too am going to keep using MSE, though I'd love it if Avast were made accessible. I used it before I lost my vision and thought very highly of it.

I also used Spybot for anti spyware and thought highly of it too. I've been meaning to try it but hesitate because I doubt that it is very accessible.

I currently have Malwarebytes version 2.something, but if version 1.75 is the most accessible version, I'd love to get ahold of it. Does anyone know where I might be able to get a copy of the free version of it?

2016-08-23 00:15:22

Spybot is actually quite usable. At least with nvda, should be with jaws as well.

2016-08-23 00:29:10

@figment,
that actually used to be the case.  If I recall correctly, windows defender first showed up on vista as simply that, a spyware removal tool.  When windows 8 was introduced, MS revamped it and, at the risk of possibly looking like it was ready to monopolize on an industry it had barely touched, reintroduced it to windows users.

2016-08-23 00:50:25

The problem with some of this thinking is that for several years now, malware authors have been attempting to get malicious ads placed on legitimate advertising networks (a practice commonly called malvertising). Also, sites can be hacked, and their pages changed to distribute malware, and the worst part is that now you don't even necessarily have to click anything to start the infection. The moment you go to an infected site, it may try a number of exploits against your machine, until it is successful in installing malware.
I also wish Avast was accessible. It seems to be very good, but it doesn't do me much good if I can't navigate the interface. NVDA object nav is useless. You have to use screen navigation, and even then, you can't get to all of the content. One thing AVast does have going for it, is that it has a scanner that scans pages before they are displayed, and prevents you from viewing the page if a threat is detected.

2016-08-23 00:50:47

hi,
A bit of a correction on avira. Avira does not just detect viruses. Avira is also capable of detecting all manner of unwanted software such as adware, spyware, worms, rogue software etc. It isn't less capable than any other software package discussed here.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2016-08-23 00:52:42

@Nocturnus

I remember when Defender was introduced, and then Security Essentials later on. Since Windows 7 is just what Vista should have been, I guess for Windows 7 users, that's still the case.

2016-08-23 19:24:23

I just finished trying out Spybot 2.4, while it might be accessible to NVDA users, most of it is inaccessible to JAWS users, which makes it inaccessible to me, it's not enough to be accessible through only one screen reader, to be considered accessible, it needs to be reasonably accessible using any screen reader.

2016-08-23 20:07:21

Agreed with post 43.  Accessibility, especially when concerning a software that aims to provide security for its users should not be limited to one screen reader.  Thumbs up!

2016-08-23 21:56:54

hello,
download the accessible mbam from this link. click on the "download free version":

http://filehippo.com/download_malwareby … are/14815/

Just update the virus database, and you will be okay. do not allow it to download/install the "latest, newest, and greatest, and whatsoever" version. it Works for me for years, this way. and not planning to change, until a mmore accessible version of it comes out. if not, then 1.75 is my tip.
as for sophos. i tried id installing it, but serious. installing one anti-virus for 10 minutes? rather cancelled it. and it installed many things with it, like sophos updater, management something, and blah-blah. a normal anti-virus install only one thing.
have a nice one.
M.

f.a.t.h.e.r

2016-08-24 00:40:20

Hello,
I am using windows 7 64 bit and I am totally blind.
The best antivirus I ever seen and which I am active using is Kaspersky total security. Test sayds, that kaspersky with 99,9 % of successfull detected malware and very good results in other parts of tests is the best antivirus of year 2016 with bitdefender.
From my practical experiences, kts has lots of protecting shields. Standard is malware, spyware and adware protection, next very advanced antiransomware and great tools to remove damages after malware. There are also webcan and microphone protection, which I did not seen in products from eset, avast, avg, avira, microsoft and others.
There are also some smaller tools like antibanner, file shredder, files encryptor etc.
I dont agree with security recommendations about visiting only trusted webpages. Yeah, normal users can exists with them, but for IT fans and programmers like me is inpossible to apply this. I have browsed many and many unknow sites, and kaspersky has always protected me from infection. Yeah, and kts license is also for best security solutions from kaspersky on operating systems android, ios, windows phone and symbian.
About accessibility, on my system I can install, activate and use kts without help of sighted persons. All is accessible, only screen containing security question about continuing no from logic reasons. But this screen is not used too much, so It is no problem in normal using. I must add that kts is accessible only with nvda, no jaws which is my default screenreader. I know, that someone peoples on this forum do not recognize It as accessible, but I am already saying to peoples to use minimal two screenreaders on them computers, so It is not problem. But if you want to use Kaspersky install first demo, I have seen one old computer with xp system, on which was kts inaccessible and has some abnormalities.

About other solutions, I think that mse has in last tests only 89 % and generally It is not very good, only basic antivirus. But I am not sure, so dont want to write nonsenses.
Eset is also good, I am recommending It to peoples after kaspersky. Avast can be used, but first It must be configured because selfdefence blocks our screenreaders. It has lots of false alerts, but is free.
I am using also some scanners only, which names I will not discuss here for security reasons.
I used sandboxie as a sandbox, but It is not compatible with kaspersky so I search now some other secure accessible sandbox.
That is my look on security.

2016-08-24 02:53:44

@bucklee12

Thanks, but rather than wade through all the extraneous crap file download sites tend to fill their pages with, I found it on jaws-users.com in the anti virus section of their software section. It still has accessibility issues, but it's a hell of a lot better than the 2.x versions.

Yeah, it wanted to do an immediate update because the database was years old, so I had to cancel the software update when it came up. But now software updates are turned off.

@Super Anti Spyware user

1. How accessible is it?
2. Is the purchase a one time thing or a yearly subscription.

2016-08-24 14:03:04

@figment,
SuperAntiSpyware's latest version is mostly accessible to both JAWS and NVDA users.  Since I do not own a copy of windoweyes or any other screen reader I cannot vouch for them being entirely accessible.  There are parts of the interface you may need to use either object navigation or jaws cursor to tinker with, but it is mostly dialogues.  As to the subscription question, I'll look into it; I was considering upgrading anyway. I'll let you know what I find out soon enough.

2016-08-24 14:35:58

Upgrading? It appeared to me that there was no free version, just a trial.

2016-08-24 19:36:47

There is.  The free version comes at the loss of the realtime protection monitoring, scan scheduling and a couple of other tools they package along with it should you wish to pay, plus what they call priority online support to help resolve issues immediately.  Of course, they won't really yell at you too much if you don't wish to pay them, simply tell you to download their free product.