2016-08-19 21:45:34

It seems like every year I'm going through this issue with someone.  Years ago microsoft security essentials seemed to do the job nicely, and then I discovered clamwin.  While I'm not quite looking back, it's always nice to hear about what everyone else is using and to what degree.  Who knows, if it works, you might just convince me the switch is worth it.  So, fellow forumite, I leave it with you; be as detailed as possible...  Operating system, virus and malware scanner and or other tools you're proud of and if possible, how accessible they are.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2016-08-19 21:52:40

Hello,
I run windows7 64-bit with microsoft security essentials on it. I say it's almost better than nothing. I don't usually do security scans, if it finds things then it deletes them.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2016-08-19 22:06:20

I use ESET NOD32. As far as I'm aware it hasn't failed me yet, though I'm not one who downloads a ton of crap from all over or opens email attachments from unknown sources. Accessibility isn't perfect but it's useable.

2016-08-19 22:37:59

Since i don't mind making a complete reinstall of an OS if something happens, i use nothing. Just stay away from sketchy sites, and be smart where you do your online shopping.

2016-08-19 22:43:28

I use windows 32. Microsoft security esentials +Malwarebytes do it for me so far. There was only one time when mse didn't remove a virus I got, years ago, can't remember where I even got it. Everything else it found, though there were only one or 2 cases, anyway. The only thing I find annoying about mse is that whenever it believes a file is dangerous, it will delete it, often without warning. This is very helpful usually, but there are some very much false warnings. Not a big deal though, you can allways just disable it for 2 minutes.
Never heard of clamwin, will look it up.

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2016-08-19 22:51:35

i dont use nothing. only malware bytes 1.75, as its the most accessible version. i run an occassional scan, and thats it.

f.a.t.h.e.r

2016-08-19 23:10:35

On both computers with windows 10 (home edition - 64 bit), I have left it all down to windows defender. I do not pay too much attention to security. I am safe as long as I don't visit potentially harmful websites or instal apps from sources I don't trust. I also have used Panda, free antivirus, plus another of this line to scan the USB. I have this panda antivirus on my old laptop where I installed windows 7

2016-08-19 23:17:59

I use Sophos antivirus. the interface is quite accessible, and doesn't have a whole lot going on. It's free, and also receives pretty good ratings. the one sticking point is that it uses the cloud to operate, so you do need an active internet connection to do scans and such. You also need to log into your web account, called a dashboard, if you want to tell it not to scan a particular file or directory, or if you need to get something out of the quarrantine.

One way you can get around the web requirement is that you can download their malware scanner, whose name I can't remember off the top of my head, but it works a bit like Microsoft Safety Scanner, Vipre Rescue, or the Eset web scanner, I believe it's called. The point is that you can download a separate application that you can use to run scans either from a bootable media or via the PC itself. It doesn't require an internet connection, so it should work fine in all instances. it's also accessible, I used it once.

One more positive point about Sophos, you won't notice a lot of resource hogging, which is more than I can say about a lot of both free and paid antivirus solutions nowadays. For awhile, before I heard about Sophos and did some research on it, I was using Vipre. Talk about a resource hog, which also slowed down the boot process a lot. Also, the accessibility of that program is slipping quite a bit.

Last I heard, Clamwin was getting bad reviews. is this still the case? I used to have Clamwin installed as a backup, back when I used Eset Smart Security, but after I heard from some reputable sources that it wasn't that great, I got rid of it.

Oh, and as a backup, I do have Malwarebytes installed, the latest version. I probably don't run scans with it as often as I should, but that's because, as far as I know, there's no accessible way to tell it which files you want to delete, and which you want to keep once a scan has completed. But if I truly feel that it's warranted, I do open it and see if it finds stuff.

I'm using Windows 10 here, and the latest version of NVDA.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2016-08-20 01:36:16

@turtlepower17,
unfortunately, your sources are correct, at least to some degree.  Clamwin is the kind of software I'd recommend to people who, a, don't do a lot of heavy browsing, b, know what they're doing within most of the operating system and, C, love open source.  It's not the set and forget I remember MSE being.  It fails in a ton of areas and has no realtime monitoring.
Keep them coming, people!

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2016-08-20 01:37:47

Windows Defender for me.

2016-08-20 01:51:48

Hello.

I use Vipre. I can't remember what vertion it is, There's two, one is for internet browsing and the other is a virus scanner. I think it might be the internet browsing version as I can scan and sites are blocked at times.

Accessibility: I'd say this program is about 98 percent accesssible. You can do everything from scanning to setting up the firewall, however, you will need to know how to navigate using NVDA'S flat review or object review, I'm not sure what other screen readers call this. It's basicly an invisible curser mode that allows you to click on things that the normal keyboard shortcuts won't allow you to click on.

I'd recommend Googleing vipre and trying the demo. I think you'll like it.

I'm gone for real :)

2016-08-20 02:01:10

hi,
On my windows 10 64 bit pc, I use avira antivirus. I switched to it after I figured out how to interact with the virus alert notifications. It is mostly accessible, however the process protection needs to be disabled under general settings. If it is left enabled, listview and treeview items will not be anounced.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2016-08-20 02:10:41

Isn't it true that Avira has constant popup ads that encourage you to upgrade to the paid version? When I was weighing my options and thinking of which antivirus to switch to after breaking up with Vipre, Avira was one I'd considered due to its decent accessibility and good ratings. But then I heard about the ads, and I said, no thank you.

at Nocturnus, that's true. I don't mind so much about there being no real-time protection, thus why I used it as a backup to catch stuff that Eset didn't. Actually, it was more for peace of mind than anything, given that I haven't encountered any real threats in quite awhile now. Anyway, I heard that the malware detection engine itself is flawed, which is why I ditched Clamwin. I wasn't happy about doing it, though. The interface was clutter free and extremely accessible. I was also perfectly content to set up scheduled scans, although I can see how the average user might not know about this feature.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2016-08-20 03:28:37

Well, am I the one who are using AVG? sad

OK, I'm kidding. I'm using windows 10 Pro, 64-bit (The anniversary update), with AVG Internet security installed on my system. And I'd say the interface of the software is mostly accessible, but if you're a NVDA user, You may having trouble going to the option menu found in the the app itself. My teacher said there is a method around to access the option menu with NVDA, but I haven't found out yet. But if you're a JAWS user, the interface of the software is accessible to you. Fortunately, I'm using both screen readers, it shouldn't be a problem for me.

2016-08-20 08:14:47 (edited by afrim 2016-08-20 08:15:42)

Coming back to my antivirus, Panda free antivirus, I'd recommend a product of this line called USB vaccine. This so-called small program scans your USB and removes a small but very nerve-racking virus which turns the content of your USB into a shortcut, therefore forcing you to click on it to show your files and folders. I always install this program and once clicking vaccinate computer button, your computer is safe from this virus. The interface of this program is accessible via touch cursor mode with JAWS, and via object navigation (NVDA).
Hope this helps you.

2016-08-20 15:16:52

I've been using MSE and MalwareBytes  for almost three years and jave no complaints with either except for MalwareBytes' marginal accessibility. I'm running 32 bit Windows 7 Home Premium.

2016-08-20 21:54:38

My only issue with msse is that it finds programs its not had any issue with as a virus.
So right now thats pipe 1 by blindsoftware and yesterday gma dice by gmagames.
In both cases it needs to restart, I do, then I have to reinstall that game, exclude it, then turn off uac which has been set to 34%.
I use malwarebytes if I think I have a big issue but I have noscript, better privacy and a few things like that in firefox.
The only time I could get a virus bar spam messages is if I actually unknowing clicked a file addware excluded.
A few installers like ccleaner have become a bit inaccessible but unchecky has been good for me for a while.
A lot have been saying sophos is good, so have vipre, trouble is I really like the fact its accessible and just works I don't need to check what its doing and yeah resources are still an issue.
Maybe after I get a 64 bit unit later with 8gb ram it won't matter that much.
I do like the idea of cloud protection.
Am I assuming with sophos that if I exclude something its stored online so it will remain excluded for ever more?
Also what is their pro products like.
I do eventually want to buy if not for the remote users a home security suite which is itself accessible.

2016-08-20 23:06:10

Hello.

@turtlepower17 Why did you stop using Vipre?

I think it's great and very accessible so i'd be interested to know why you aren't using it anymore.

2016-08-21 14:34:43

Ahoy there
This is a really good topic and something I have wanted peoples views/reviews on, now and then, quite often.

While to keep ones pc secure all one needs is a bit of common sense and a okayish antivirus, sometimes its better to have a good one on just in case common sense doesn't work all the time lol or the antivirus you have just isn't enough.

When it comes to acessibility and antiviruses or protection the choices are indeed quite limited. and a topic like this should help all of us to know or have a central resource for getting the information on what's accessible and what works and what doesn't

On my old pc I used to have bitdefender installed, the standard version since a good scanner/ antivirus engine is all I needed and internet security is just too much for my needs plus ataking up more resources as compared to the standard one.
I got primarily because of its good reviews when it came to ditection and clean up.
However, its the most inaccessible software I have ever come across, so I'd need sighted help to configure it and stuff.
It does have a autopilot mode which when enabled doesn't require hardly any atention at all, but yes,unfortunatly its not a software a visually impaired/ screenreader user can use on their own.
One good thing about it as compared to others is its fairly lite on system resources even with its good virus engine.

On my mbp running windows8.1 primarily I'm using nothing but windows defender along with a addblocker on firefox
grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2016-08-21 15:48:13

I've been using Sophos ever since it got it's home free license a while ago and I've been happy with it ever since. The interface is nice, clean and simple, and the HTML aspects of it make it accessible to a high degree at least with NVDA. The cloud aspect lets me control multiple computers at once so that's also quite nice. Yeah yeah, I know, cloud and all your data and the NSA and whatever, but it's got auto scan and thread detection and everything, it's light and unintrusive, makes use of normal windows notifications for threats, and it works well. Don't think I'm switching from it anytime soon.

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2016-08-21 17:34:04

Slightly off topic, but somewhat relevant too. I was reminded of this by Crashmaster's comments about false positives.

A couple of days ago I decided to take a look at GMA's Lone Wolf submarine simulation. I normally have Microsoft's Smart Screen filtering turned on, but had to temporarily turn it off because it kept blocking the download of Lone Wolf because it thought it was unsafe.

Curiously it was also the only GMA download that I got notices about it not being signed or that the publisher couldn't be determined. When I contacted GMA about both problems with their file, the response I got, gave me the impression that they didn't care. So I installed it in a sand box for now.

2016-08-21 17:56:00

At Brad, I got rid of Vipre because it really slowed down my computer. This is on a 64 bit system with 8GB RAM, so that really shouldn't happen. It also made my computer boot up much slower.

the interface is still accessible, but it's not nearly as easy to work with as it used to be a few years ago. I find the current interface to be a bit of a mess, especially in places like the quarrantine and the area where you can exclude websites. Speaking of which, when I had Vipre installed, my podcast's website was seen as unsafe, and was blocked.

2016-08-21 19:13:32

I use kaspersky. It's not very accessible, but I can do what I need to with object nav. It's apparently pretty good. I actually only use it because it's what the rest of my family uses, and my dad buys one with multiple licenses so I might just as well. I also use firefox with noscript and self-destructing cookies.
I don't agree you're fine without an antivirus though. I also don't think I've ever gotten malware from the internet, but I've often gotten from other people's flash discs. And although this hasn't happened to me yet several people I know have gotten viruses from university pcs or printers. So even though you're safe on the internet it's sometimes impossible to avoid getting malware from people who aren't.

2016-08-21 20:00:07

Hello.

@turtlepower17

That's interesting. I use vipre on my Toshiba Laptop with 4 gb of ram and it runs fine. I haven't noticed my laptop slowing down at all.

The good thing about these programs is that if someone does want to try out these programs, most if not all of them have demos.

2016-08-21 21:08:09

I have also given up on vipper for the same reason that Turtlepower mentioned. It slowed down my computer when it started scans.