2016-08-19 20:49:51

Well, I said guide? not really.

My gaming experience is gathered from many, many years and I learned only one important thing: game needs to be fun, challenging and intuitive, if atleast one from these factors will fail, the adventure will hunt you and make your dreams like a nightmare.

I started playing Rhythm rage after it's initial release. Rhythm game heavily inspired by Rhythm tengoku (heaven) series. Every sign showed this is going to be something equally good on our little gaming scene. Signs usually are showing bad things and our lifes can be cursed really fast after we believe there's something good on the way.

But well, let's start from the point I should start from...

Engine, it's really great and the best side o this product. While not ideal, it handles the audio very well and there are no imput lags, plus. One more thing I like and hate about the game in the same time  is ability to make our own packs. What it means? basically imagine a rhythm heaven game where You can participate and put your talent into to make new levels, sounds good? just a bit. When it can be fun it's also a terrible solution. I'm typical gamer who always loved original closed products, no Inapp purchases, no DLCs. Ofcourse wordls is changing and we are in the same time. One reason why I love RH series so much is it's original idea, sound design and music compositions. I can't imagine there can be something modified or changed without ruining the fun and the experience.

The levels and gameplay

And this section is also a problem in general. While I didn't found any lag problems I find myself really frustrated how balanced, or well, unbalanced this is. Many levels are too fast (yes, I know crazy people who can handle 10 keys at the same time in one second) but also the audio cues are not placed correctly and there are moments, where you think you need to hold the button for the one beat after the cue but it's not true, or not working as it should.
Game is stealing sound effects, music (and from the RH series, really?) and ofcourse, as a freeware project I shouldn't to put this here but still, I felt like... hmm, hard to tell how, just weird.
I did everything to give more chances to the game but after the remix I decided to just go away and just relax instead of torturing myself. The music and sounds are not on the same volume levels at times and it can comfuse you a lot.

I wanted to say something much better as I love rhythm games but well, there's no fun and smile on my face when playing rhythm rage, something what happened when sitting in front of my TV and WII playing RH.
One more thing, you don't need to make something more complex to do this fun, Rhythm heaven series are using only, ONLY two buttons and holly damn, I can't believe how creative and fun it is. Rhythm rage is using more keys some times and you can be lost remembering about up, down, left, right, space, enter. I personally knows only one mini game from RH with the same setup but they probably decided to not take this direction any more. The problem can be keyboard there. Badly placed keys are not the same like a gamepad / Wimote in your hand making everything totally differend and easier.

Conclusion

Nothing private against Oriol Gomes here, I wanted to have fun, seriously but instead I'll back to RH again

PS. I'm comparing RG to Rhythm heaven series as it's heavily based on it so it's not suprising I'm doing that. My only hope is it will expant to something much better and original in the future, without needs to download user created content.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2016-08-19 22:29:05

Yep, I had much the same thoughts here. Especially frustrating after playing the amazing masterpiece that is RH megamix on the 3ds.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2016-08-20 20:48:15

I kept at it and have now completed the default, hardcore and retro world packs. Still in the process of trying to get perfects on everything. I like how the newer versions of the game have made things just that little bit easier by changing the millisecond window, it makes a bit of a difference and definitely makes things less frustrating.

2016-08-20 22:13:58

@stirlock, need to play megamix but don't have 3ds for now so... not possible.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2016-08-20 22:28:25

Will be grabbing Megamix by the end of the year.

2018-04-20 19:06:52 (edited by afsilva90 2018-04-21 09:14:42)

Hi!

One of the levels I'm having problems with is Jago's memory. It's very hard not just because of the music, which is extremely fast-paced, but the number of beats you must memorize is enormous. I tried beating it with no mistakes, but it was a total disaster. I only mannaged to unlock one of the 10 achievements because I did only one combo. Thus, my accuracy on this level is terrible. Could someone please give me some pointers on how to get a higher accuracy on this level.
Just out of curiosity, who is Jago?
Cheers,
André

2018-04-21 01:26:25

Hi.
Two things here.
First, Jago is a tibetan munk from the Killer instinct series.
on another note, Hmm, I don't seam to have the problems you people seam to have, I quite like that the game isn't just about pressing two keys in a rhythm, I like that there are many things in a level, keeps the game entertaining for me, I also haven't found a level which is to fast paced for me. In the remix pack, that second keep the beat or what the name is level is quite fast, but hey, still doable.
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2018-04-21 10:54:54

Hi Simba,

The sounds for the Jago memory game are very confusing. I can hardly distinguish the sound for pressing the space bar from the sound for pressing the enter key. This is a terrible level, in my opinion, because I've never played the Killer Instinct series of games in my entire life. Could you give me some pointers on how to beat this horribly difficult level or not?
Cheers,
André

2018-04-21 11:11:43

I must also say that I never had problems with the game. Sure, a few levels are really challenging, at least when you try to get a perfect score, but I never noticed false placed cues or anything like that and I quite liked the difficulty. Not to easy and not to hard.

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.

2018-04-21 14:30:30

Hi.
Tips for the level, hmm, that's not that easy, I just can suggest that you learn the sounds and memorize them. There are not really things that make the level easier as it is for me.
Greetings Moritz.

2018-04-21 17:25:28 (edited by afsilva90 2018-04-21 17:29:37)

Hi Simba,

Thank you for your help. Without your help, I would have failed this game for sure.
I just unlocked the Crazy Factory level and it's a rhythm nightmare! As a result, I got a terrible accuracy rate, with 22 percent accuracy. Thankfully, I got 72 percent on the Jago's Memory level, which is OK, considering that this level is also fiendishly difficult.
Cheers,
André

2018-04-24 17:33:37

Jago's Memory is one of my favorite levels. The music is awesome, it's not to easy, but not to hard either. I also love Epic Battle because it has so many keys you need to press and is so challenging. But I wish that it contained a PC implementation of the original Rhythm Heaven minigames. My goal is to create a Rhythm Heaven clone in BGT with all the original levels.

2018-04-24 17:52:20 (edited by afsilva90 2018-04-24 17:53:26)

Hi there!

One of my least favorite levels is Crazy Factory because it's a rhythm nightmare. Can you imagine a person memorizing sequences of incoming small crates and lifting big ones almost at the same time? That's insane, pure and simple!
Cheers,
André

2018-04-24 21:22:32

You do not do 2 things in rhythm rage in the same time. Maybe you misunderstood the level because it is not so hard. Maybe I should make a recording of the default pack to help people see how levels sound as most of the things being talked about here aren't hard at all.

2018-04-24 22:36:23 (edited by afsilva90 2018-04-24 22:40:51)

Hi Nidza,

If you could make a recording of the default pack in Rhythm Rage, that would be great! Thanks in advance for that helpful suggestion!
Cheers,
André

2018-04-25 03:40:37

Hi.
Yeah, crazy factory is one of the harder levels in the game, I had some problems with it because I always ended up somewhere in the 80 to 90 percent range, I just recently got myself at 95 or 97 percent I am not sure, still not enough for a perfect.
Greetings Moritz.

2018-04-25 03:58:30

I couldn't even get one sequence correct in the crazy factory level.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-25 11:32:20

I like the Crazy Factory level.

2018-04-30 23:26:10 (edited by afsilva90 2018-04-30 23:28:59)

Hi Nidza,

Could you make a recording of you playing the default pack so that I can better understand what the levels sound like, please? I would like this recording to contain commentary as you progress through the entire pack, as some of the levels are very hard to master. Speciffically, I'm talking about the Crazy Factory level, which is the level I'm currently having some serious trouble beating, let alone obtaining a perfect accuracy rate.
Please let us know how this recording is going along.
Cheers,
André

2018-05-01 13:34:32

Oh sure, I will try to do it with commentary along the way. Should put it up by tomorrow.

2018-05-01 18:00:37

Hi Nidza,

Thank you for helping people who are struggling with some of the levels in the default pack of Rhythm Rage.
I would like you to pay special attention to two particularly difficult levels: Crazy Factory and Crazy Beats. I'm mentioning this level because I'm having a hard time understanding how to do the offbeats. I can beat 90 to 95 percent of this level just fine, but those offbeats are giving me some major problems. How can I do the offbeats correctly within the time limit?
Cheers,
André

2018-05-01 18:16:08

Oh offbeats were hard for me too and I am honestly not sure how to describe those. I guess you will get them when you hear how the level should correctly be done. Try listening to the perfect run from the level menu.

2018-05-01 18:53:03

I can explain off beats but I need to know if you have played a musical instrument. This is to ensure we're on the same page and that you know the terms I'll use.

2018-05-01 19:52:23 (edited by afsilva90 2018-05-01 20:24:08)

Hi Amerikranian,

Yes, I had piano lessons when I was younger but now I'm very rusty because I haven't practiced playing this instrument for a very long time. What is an offbeat, exactly? The tutorial for the Crazy Beats level mentions that I should be careful of the offbeats, but it doesn't go into much detail about what these are and how to do them correctly. By listening to the perfect run for this level, I can hear someone tapping the space bar two times in quick succession. Is this an offbeat or not?
Cheers,
André

2018-05-01 23:48:16

the way I count crazy beats is by quarter notes. Remember, there are 4 quarters per measure. At the beginning of crazy beats you hear your metronome which goes 1, 2, 1, 2, 3, 4. And that's how the level starts. If you keep it going in your head it's simple to do the offbeats. They are basically like a normal beat, except on the 2 and 4 instead of 1 and 3. I can not do a recording, I have a shitty setup for that, but ask me if you're having trouble understanding.
Crazy factory is simple when you get it down. The small crates behave just like the big ones, just faster. If you'd hold big crates for 2 beats, you only need to hold the small crates for one beat. Think of them as a faster big crate, because that's what it really is. It's time is haft. Think of the crate sequences as Jako's memory level. As soon as you hear the lift sound repeat the sequence. Again, ask me if anything doesn't make sense.