2016-08-18 04:35:57

Hello,
Have any of you used the new Cloud OCR NVDA add-on? I can't get the thing to work. I extracted it into my global plugins folder as I was instructed to do on Twitter, but it didn't work.

I attack with the savagery of a thousand piranhas.

2016-08-18 04:39:04

What's that? never heard of this one. where did you get the addon actually.

2016-08-18 04:41:46

Chris Toth made it. It's an addon that uses a cloud ocr service that's pretty accurate.

2016-08-18 04:44:30

Is there a link for it then?

2016-08-18 05:05:23 (edited by RTR_Assassin 2016-08-18 05:10:35)

The link is: https://github.com/ctoth/cloudOCR/releases/tag/v0.1

2016-08-18 12:10:17

Thanks for the link. I will check that out.

2016-08-18 14:58:08

Why would you need to extract it, and copy it manually? It's comes with the .nvda-addon extention.

2016-08-18 15:36:48

RTR_assassin, Socheat is right. It almost sounds to me like the instructions you were given on Twitter were valid for a version of NVDA that was outdated ages ago. Since the introduction of the addon manager, you should never touch the internal NVDA folders such as global plugins directly, and you certainly shouldn't need to, unless the package you are trying to install has not been updated to the new addon format yet. In that case, though, I'm not sure I would want to use such an old thing myself.
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2016-08-18 18:37:52 (edited by serrebi 2016-08-18 18:52:13)

Those instructions were not necessarily wrong: See
https://github.com/ctoth/cloudOCR
You can see that some work has been done since the "release" version. If you wish not to have newer functionality, be my guest, in my case I wasn't able to use the add on at all until I upgraded to the master version. Just download zip of that repo, extract, and copy the CloudOCR in the Addons/GlobalPlugins of what you extracted to your installed or portable NVDA global plugins directory, restart NVDA, and it should work. I agree, use NVDA addons format whenever possible, but I got the plugin to work doing this so if you have the knowhow it is definitely worth doing. Only thing people should be worried about not doing is expecting developer user support for this.

2016-08-18 19:43:23

You do mean copy the entire Cloud OCR folder into the Global Plugins directory, right? or do you mean that I should open the Cloud OCR folder and copy all the files? I tried just copying the folder and it doesn't seem to be working, that's why I ask.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2016-08-18 20:43:54

In any case, thanks for the information, Serrebi. I had no idea the first release of the addon was not provided in the NVDA addon format.
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2016-08-18 20:56:19

Not the first release, just the changes since: I used 7zip to extract this. Hope this helps those who are having trouble. After you extract
https://github.com/ctoth/cloudOCR/archive/master.zip
to a folder, say c:\cloud , you would copy C:\cloud\cloudOCR-master\cloudOCR-master\addon\globalPlugins\cloudOCR folder itself to your installed, or portable NVDA addons folder. I hope this helps. I don't mean to spread misinformation.

2016-08-18 21:43:22

Hello Op I got the Ad on to work for me. Press NVDA + Shift R to preform OCR. Best luck to you.

Bitcoin Address:
1MeNca7h6m8du4TV3psN4m4X666p6Y36u5m

2016-08-18 21:54:13

Thanks for the clarification. You weren't spreading misinformation at all, I was just a little confused about the syntax. Thanks again.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2016-08-19 01:45:35

I'm just wondering if he will release an update to the add-on package. That would be much easier to deal with.

2016-08-19 03:08:12

So, that mean the one that came with the .nvda-addon extention, doesn't work with NVDA?

2016-08-19 03:09:31

Yes, at least the last time I tried it. I'll have to check and see if a newer version has been posted.

2016-08-19 04:31:32

Hmm, that's od. The developer still uses the old techniques.

2016-08-19 06:02:48

hhurstseth405 wrote:

Hello Op I got the Ad on to work for me. Press NVDA + Shift R to preform OCR. Best luck to you.

I followed the instructions to a T and it still doesn't work. I copied the folder in addons\global plugins\cloud OCR into my addons folder, but still get no results. Are you sure it's the addons folder instead of app modules?

2016-08-19 13:34:58

Okay, in that case I don't know what's going on but the most recent available addon package works just fine for me, with the latest NVDA snapshot of the next branch.
Lukas

2016-08-19 20:44:14

I still can't get it to work either using the extracted copy. At first I thought it was just me, that I'm doing something wrong, but perhaps I'll get the addon package and see if I have better luck. I'm not expecting much, since from what I understand this is still a very rough beta, but I'd like to try it at least.

2016-08-19 21:11:19

hi serrebi.
I did everything as you mention, but does not work.
sorry, it does not work.
cheers.
cheers.

2016-08-20 03:08:43

It doesn't work with me, I tried everything, from the extracted folder, and using the addon package one.

2016-08-20 03:12:57

The addon package isn't working either. I think the best course of action is to wait until a new addon package becomes available, then try again. I'm really looking forward to taking this for a test drive.

2016-08-22 07:05:11

hi guys, I've just downloaded the cloud OCR master folder and I've extracted the file to my NVDA add-ons folder. I restart NVDA but the add-on doesn't work. I see the add-ons manager but cloud OCR is not there too.

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!