2016-08-19 12:52:06 (edited by afrim 2016-08-19 12:56:04)

Well, I think it depends on the way you'll be using your computer.
If you're accustomed to the windows 7's interface, you will much unlikely take advantage of some features added to this version, such as Windows ink or Windows hello. The start menu is improved, but you will need to get used to it as it is not as simple as the one of Win 7. They say the performance is improved, but that also depends on your computer. Some new computers get along well with Windows 10, and others don't. My new computer I bought a month ago works solidly with windows 10. since the first day I got it, I have seen only a crash of Outlook. But others have performed pleasantly well. If you're using JAWS, I'd say that JAWS does not work well with combo boxes in settings. "Remember that Control panel is replaced by a handier app, called settings."
NVDA works pleasantly with Win 10, although I'd say that it's still a little sluggish on windows explorer, especially in this version.
Coming back to my point where I said "It depends on how you will use your computer", there are a lot of modern/metro apps which do not resemble the UI of windows 7, and I believe, you, as a traditional PC user will not take advantage of them. They tend to turn your computer into a tablet, something that your iPhone or android does better. So you may need to remove most of them as I did. Being a windows 7 user, you may want to have another start menu which resembles the one of Win 7, and Classic shell is there for you. But it didn't work for me. So I may find something else that satisfies you.
Other features you may discover when you install it, but remember the privacy section. Windows 10 collects data about you, about the way you type, the way you speak, interact with your device and so on. So you will want to customise them to your preference.
If you install it, I will give you a list of settings and options to customise. I have changed some settings of windows 10, and now I am fine with it.

2016-08-19 15:10:57

I would say after this update, i don't mind using windows 10 as my daily driver. I like the new start menu. I actually like how they just basically threw every app on your machine in to a big list and called it a start menu lol. I actually also look forward to edge being more accessible, i just like the way the browzer feels while testing what i was able to use with it. Windows 10 takes a lot of crap from people, but it's really not that bad in my oppinion.

2016-08-19 16:39:13 (edited by afrim 2016-08-19 16:40:29)

@arqmeister
You can take away most of the crap and make your computer a traditional one.
I have deleted most of the modern apps. For example, I have uninstalled photos app and revived windows Photo viewer. I have uninstalled Groove music and have installed Winamp. Have uninstalled videos ap and installed VLC media player, so I'm now happy with all I have on my PC.

2016-08-19 20:40:22

I also can't recommend Winaero Tweaker enough.

http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.1836

It's a perfectly accessible little app that allows for some pretty in-depth customizations of Windows 7, 8.1 and 10. For example, you can disable the collection of telemetry data, tell Windows update that you only want to be notified when new updates are available so that you can manually check for them yourself, disable the Windows update service completely, disable the lock screen, and you can do some pretty neat stuff with visual effects that I know very little about, and many other useful things. If you don't want to screw with the registry or Group Policy Editor yourself to make all of these changes, this is a great program that will do all of that for you.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2016-08-20 01:43:42 (edited by TJT1234 2016-08-20 01:59:45)

I would like to reply to post 18.

Brian did investigate making LEASEY for NVDA, but he found that it would not be possible for him to make a profit. He wrote an article explaining contrasting development for JAWS and NVDA. The article is here: http://www.hartgen.org/nvda. I also take issue with your statement that he bashes NVDA--I have never seen him say this, and in this article, he even describes it as a "fine screen reader".

2016-08-20 02:40:03

Hmm, @afrim,
Groove music is quiet accessible, so on my view thats not crap

kind regards and have a nice day,
marro

2016-08-20 03:04:50

How do you remove the native apps?

2016-08-20 03:14:28

The easiest way is to use C Cleaner. It shows all the native apps along with all of your other installed programs.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2016-08-20 03:45:31

Aha, didn't know that. thanks for the advice.

2016-08-20 07:53:21

@Maro,
It may not be a crapy applucation, but since it doesn't have shortcuts to move from 1 song to another, or to increase/decrease volume I'd rather use Winamp

2016-08-20 15:07:00

I've removed lots of native apps that are preinstalled with windows 10, though. And my computer is also faster than before, too.

2016-08-20 15:14:49

@TJT1234, Odd, the link you sent appears to be broken.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2016-08-20 15:57:27 (edited by Figment 2016-08-20 18:03:06)

@Slender

Try this one, I believe this is what tjt1234 meant.
http://www.hartgen.org/nvda

A few days ago I heard a review of the three screen readers on the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, and they said that while Narrator is much improved, it still has a long way to go. They also gave NVDA a positive review, but I noticed the only thing they said about it was that the next update would make Edge accessible, I laughed, unless all you do with a computer is browse the internet, how accessible a screen reader makes a browser is not a valid way to rank screen readers! What about all of NVDA's other issues? Are they fixed too? I don't know, the review didn't mention them. Then they went on to give JAWS and Freedom Scientific poor marks because they were still having problems with Edge! Then while they said nothing at all about NVDA's other issues, they complained how Freedom Scientific was dropping the ball because they were having problems with Edge. Who's fault is that? The fault is Microsoft's for not using their own best practices for writing accessible programs when they wrote Edge! This just proves, as others have said here, that Microsoft is just using accessibility as a marketing tool. The review was obviously very biased.

And last, if you already have Windows 10 the changes in the anniversary update will be delivered through Windows Update.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get a Windows install DVD image that will install the anniversary update edition? I know you can get a disc image using the media creation tool, but what I don't know is whether it downloads the latest version or just the original release version.

2016-08-20 18:23:44

It will install the latest, i just did it on this machine a couple of days agoe.

2016-08-20 20:49:51

Figment, I have attached a link in one of my previous posts which is about on how to upgrade as an assistive technology user. You will get the upgrade free and so you can download the ISO file and burn it to a dvd or copy it to a USB drive.

2016-08-20 22:12:51

@Arqmeister

Thanks, I don't want to install it just now, I just want to have the ISO image local just in case it should ever be needed.

@Afrim

If you are referring to the Microsoft web page that asks if you use assistive technology, I tried that, it downloaded a bunch of stuff to a Windows 10 Upgrade folder, with no ISO that I could find, then immediately started the upgrade. Thankfully I was able to cancel out of it with no damage done.

But I will check.

For now, I plan to stay with Windows 7 for as long as I can, primarily because my laptop doesn't seem capable of running Windows 10 and I'm not spending money on a new system just so I can run Windows 10.

2016-08-20 22:56:44

That should start the download perhaps?

2016-08-21 00:45:27

The Anniversary Update still has not appeared in my Windows Update.

2016-08-21 07:22:00

Hi,
It should appear as:
•Feature update for windows10 version 1607

2016-08-21 08:49:30

It says my computer is up-to-date.

2016-08-21 09:16:48

Aha, got it.

2016-08-21 09:37:38 (edited by TJT1234 2016-08-21 09:38:23)

Any ideas on how I might be able to get the update? I would prefer to use Windows Update rather than the Media Creation Tool if possible.

2016-08-21 11:01:10

If you want to install the anniversary update, you need 8 gb of free space. If you do have 8 gb of free space and the upgrade is still not going forward, download the microsoft media creation tool and choose upgrade this pc.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2016-08-23 05:47:14

Hmm, an iSO file? I seems to have it somewhere. I will post the link as soon as I find it.