2016-08-17 12:45:53

Hello everyone,
In case you don't know, James Oates on Cool Blind Tech has published This article
Some days ago. But it's seems noone posting it, so I decide to go for it. Now what do you guys opinion on these ranking lists?
Thanks.

2016-08-17 14:12:17

Not sure how I feel about this list. I find it hard to believe Narrator shot upward that fast, but I haven't yet tried it myself. If that really is true, then good for windows... as it's taking a huge step forward in accessibility. The guy also seems to have a very basic understanding of how screenreaders work in general, especially regarding MSAA and Browse / scan and focus modes. The bit about missing info on the OK button is that there are always ways to get around that, so I feel he makes that a bigger deal than it is... at worst, you can just get NVDA to read the window back to you. But it's definitely an interesting perspective.

Discord: clemchowder633

2016-08-17 14:52:05

@Assault
Your statement that there are "always ways to get around" missing information on the theoretical OK button is that this isn't strictly true.  I've found dialogues that will simply show the button as well as the menu bars above with no text in the window to indicate what the buttons relate to, for example.

Just thought I'd clear that up.

Also, This article is skewed in the sense that all Microsoft edge or NVDA need to do is to communicate behind the scenes regarding browse mode, then everything should work as expected, I'd hope.  Glad to see that Edge is more accessible and will hopefully be fully within an update or two of NVDA though.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.
***If you wish to refer to me in @replies, use Sightless***

2016-08-17 15:02:37

From what my point of view, Narrator in this windows 10 update is a lot better. You could almost use it as your primary screen reader to do the daily tasks with your computer. And you can always give feedback to Microsoft if you have suggestion with their screen reader. I'm not sure the feedback is accurate or not. But it worth a try.

2016-08-17 15:17:52

@sightless, true. But for windows like that, even if NVDA reads that information once and you miss it, you can always get it to read it again with NVDA+B. I meant that as a worst case scenario situation, but I do like the fact that Narrator lets you read the text again. I'm going to give it a try once I update my computer, though whether my laptop can handle it remains to be seen... my desktop is not moving off windows 7 until I absolutely have to. lol

2016-08-17 17:47:58 (edited by afrim 2016-08-17 17:48:43)

Hi,
I think the ranking isn't completely accurate.
Narrator has just taken its first step towards a good screen reader, but this does not mean that is got the first place, in this update of Windows.
In my view, I think NVDA is the best screen reader at the moment of speaking, but that will probably change when JAWS 18 is released which promises to fulfill the gaps in accessibility of Windows 10.
Narrator is good, I'm not saying Microsoft disappointed us again this time, but it cannot take the throne of two of the best screen readers (JAWS and NVDA) who have been in existance for more than 10 years. Its true that with Narrator you can browse the web, read text, work with folders, but it supports a highly smaller number of programs compared to JAWS or NVDA.
My ranking would be:
1. NVDA.
2. JAWS.
3. Microsoft Narrator.
My favourite is still JAWS as I find it more accurate on word processing, web browsing and more, more, but NVDA is almost in the same line with it.

2016-08-17 18:25:41

I think your basing the ranking on how long the other two have been around isn't really fair to narrator, either. If Narrator does indeed work better with Microsoft Edge, that currently puts it above the other two in at least that area. I haven't yet tried it myself, however.

2016-08-17 20:29:52

It's not intirely based on the length of these screen readers' lives, but working only with Microsoft edge better than the others won't make it the best. Why? Because there are also areas as important as Microsoft Edge. What's more, Edge can be made up for any other alternative such as Firefox or Google chrome. What about reading in microsoft word or excel with Narrator? Can you read with the arrows like with NVDA or JAWS? Can you know easily the formatting, style, spacing, word count, and page of the document? So it's not as high as the guy on the post brings it.

2016-08-17 21:56:51

This ranking was obviously done with the latest versions of NVDA, that being 2016.2.1, and JAWS 17.whatever the new build is. NVDA 2016.3 will indeed pass Narrator as it relates to Edge accessibility, as there are fixes in the Master snapshots relating to this. Notifications are also read. It should be out by next Friday. Narrator is improving though, can't argue about that.

2016-08-18 04:40:15

I'm very much looking forward to the new NVDA release.

2016-08-18 08:06:36

A little off topic, but are those of us who are on Windows 10 still able to get the upgrade for free? If so, how? I've been wanting to do a refresh to clean up any messed up settings or glitches, and it may be good to do it and get the big update at the same time.

2016-08-18 08:40:48

Yes you may still do it I believe. There is a short tutorial on google which describes how to upgrade if you use assistive technology products. Anyway, besides this, not sure if Microsoft has fixed a bug or has left it on purpose. If you set the date to 29th July 2016, you can still get the upgrade free without any problem, use or not assistive technology products.

2016-08-18 08:45:43

Do you have a link to the guide by any chance? Would appreciate it!

2016-08-18 08:55:45

Brian Hartgen found some errors in the article with regards to JAWS. You can read his opinion--though a little biased, it must be said--here: http://www.hartgen-home.org/node/76.

2016-08-18 09:29:45

@Assault freak,
Here you go!
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessi … s10upgrade

2016-08-18 12:59:01

I agree that Narrator in latest Windows10 is a huge improvement comparing to previous Windows versions, but Microsoft needs to implement a lot more to make it day-by-day screen reader for more people, for example: scripting support, support for 3rd-party desktop apps, and braille support. Also I don't like the fact that they still haven't allowed the user to move narrator's settings window out of the alt+tab order, because if you accidentaly alt+tab to it and then press alt+f4, you will exit Narrator.

2016-08-18 14:55:59

I agree with you about this.

2016-08-18 16:12:47

I'm not surprised Brian Hartgen is biased, this is the guy who didn't want to try to make Leesie for NVDA and who basically bashed NVDA as a result. I don't mind opinions but he didn't seem to get his facts straight and it seemed when he bashed NVDA it was slapped together. In fact, he confirms in this article, saying he doesn't have enough knowledge to write about other screen readers accept Jaws.
The thing is, this blind cool tech article reviews all the screen readers, what if Jaws lagged, took longer to start than the rest of them? THat's the thing..

2016-08-18 20:08:42

While i believe that narrator has improved greatly in the anniversary update, I think it might be too little, too late. The major screen readers have been in this game way longer than Microsoft, who have had years and years to build a screen reader, and yet it's only now that they're starting to care. My theory on this is that they see the large screen reader companies are struggling. Why else would they all need to merge? And, since Microsoft wants as many people to adopt Windows 10 as possible, they're now scrambling to catch up with Apple, who at least built a good screen reader into their OS. It's clearly a marketing ploy, and I don't like it one bit.

This ties into the article that was referenced, because clearly, some blind people will rave about the improvements in narrator, giving it far more credit than it frankly deserves at this point. yes, it's getting better. yes, it actually can work with both Firefox and Thunderbird, I tried it, so I guess third party support, though patchy at this stage, is there. But people like the author of this article should really be careful about singing its praises too soon. First of all, more rigorous testing needed to be done. I get the feeling that the author basically just tested all three of the screen readers with Edge and called it a day. he does say in passing that he tested other applications, but he didn't go into enough detail for my liking.

If you want to make bold, sweeping statements about how great Narrator is, you've got to do a lot better than that to convince me. Had it been me, I would have done a very in-depth review, putting all three screen readers through their paces with common applications and web browsers, comparing how each one handles working for a day to day user's needs. I feel that this article was misleading in the sense that it gives a bit of false hope, and that's unacceptable.

As I said, much to my surprise, I actually got narrator to work in both Firefox and Thunderbird. The support was rudimentary at best, and I admit that I didn't test it fully since there are no commands yet for links list and so on. But I was able to perform a Google search with Firefox and view the results. I then opened my email, where I was able to tab into the list of messages, then I proceeded to enter browse mode to read one. That impressed me, but it sure didn't want to make me switch to Narrator as my primary screen reader.

Then, the real test. I've said before on other topics that NVDA has a bit of an issue scrolling through large folders. it lags a lot, so I decided to see if Narrator could do better. I opened the biggest folder I have, my music folder, which is literally just about 4 terabytes in size. Narrator couldn't handle it at all. It kept saying unknown object or something like that. I could occasionally get it to read an artist's name, but it was so hit and miss that I decided that it definitely needed a lot more work before it could ever compete with NVDA.

Those two short paragraphs alone that I wrote are more compelling than anything in that review. I'm not trying to be a complete asshole, but honestly, considering the usual content that cool Blind Tech offers, this felt lackluster and rushed.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2016-08-18 20:40:43

But you know, while i agree with everything said here. I would frankly love it if some time in the near future, narator became the best screen-reader on the market and blew away jaws and nvda. I'm going to remain optamistic as well, because i think it is possible.

2016-08-18 20:48:16 (edited by afrim 2016-08-18 20:51:38)

I agree with turtlepower here.
I tried Microsoft Narrator on the windows anniversary update. Although I was surprised with the progress, I don't think it's as high as the guy describes it. On my pc, I couldn't get it to work with firefox or microsoft word, but it worked well with microsoft edge. On windows explorer, the problem where narrator doesn't read names of files is slightly gone, but not completely.
In my opinion, jaws is the best performer in windows explorer. It doesn't lag, nor crash. But jaws has other problems, one of them is the inability to read combo boxes in the settings app.
What surprises me the most though, if Narrator became his primary screen reader, why didn't he then, make the next podcast using Narrator?

2016-08-18 21:04:45

Yes, I definitely agree with what is being said here. And it's unfortunate that Microsoft really only got in to accessibility at this point. I did try Narrator, and while I think it's improving, it has a very long way to go for it to be fully embraced by everyone.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2016-08-18 21:37:35 (edited by ambro86 2016-08-18 21:38:21)

Someone can help me for Narrator? I've Windows 10, and I've actived accidentally the option in general that blocks the capslock key. I don't know how can disactive it. When launch Narrator I can't use the computer. Is there a way to restore narrator settings to default?
Thanks!

2016-08-19 01:12:27

Question for everyone and it's a little offf topic. Is there any reason for getting this windows 10 update other than the narrator improvements? Are there any other new things or improvements we should be aware of?

2016-08-19 04:36:02

I found internet explorer is quite slow in windows 10. So, for IE users, you may try to learn to use ff or Chrome instead.