2008-02-01 18:16:41

I was just reding the golden cumppis topic and thought that everyone would like to talk about the books that they like to read. I'm shure there was a topic about this very subject one point, so let's take it a little farther and talk about the  types of books you like. Also do you like the kind that keeps you on the edge all the time and why? I like different kinds of fiction. I like reading books like "loard of the rings", "Hary potter", and "the golden cumpis" When it comes to books, I'm a thrill secor for the most part.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-02-01 21:37:20

Hmmm, well personally, a book with just constant battles and danger and no characters just doesn't mean a lot to me. I've read a couple of badly written fantasies that work like this, and I genuinely don't care what happens to the characters sinse they are so damnably wooden!

My favourite books are indeed things like Lotr, Hp, Hdm etc, but that is because when something dangerous comes up, I am genuinely bothered about the characters. this is also why I like authors (like J.K. rowling), who are not afraid to kill major characters, ---- sinse then everytime there is a conflict your sitting there wondering if they'll get out of it.

then of course, the conflicts have to be written well enough in themselves so as to evoke a sense that it's a real danger not just the generic dragon popping up.

Another important factor in books for me though, is exploration and experience. I love to find out and explore another world or setting or point of view, ----- which might be sf, fantasy, historical or even just another culture and way of life.

so though I mostly read Sf, fantasy or horror, I also sometimes try historical or travel fiction, ---- or even occasionally spy or war fiction as well.

One particular author who bdoes it all for me, exploration, charactorization, conflict etc is tad williams, ---- anything you can get buy him read!

here in England some of his stuff is available in braille, but the library of congress in the states have just about all of his books on four track tape cassette, ---- I was able to persuade the braille library to order them for me.

I could go on recommending authors, and about books I like for quite a long time, but I'll stop here.

At the moment I'm reading the sword of truth series by terry goodkind, which is really frustrating, sinse in among some awful rightwing propergander, lots of bad ethical preaching, generic characters and sequal mania, there are occasional moments of geneus goodness which keep me reading.

Saying that though, a book has to be really! and truly awful before I give up in dispare on it.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-02-01 23:23:38

me?
I like a good war story like "Black Hawk Down" or somehing someting history fiction or not like "The Adventures of Huckle Berry Fin"
also the Harry Potter series, a book called "I am David", and one I just read, "The Road."

Connor

2008-02-02 08:23:04

I've read all the harry potter books and i must say they are fantastic. I'mnot really a book reader, but the harry potter books are awesome.

2008-02-02 19:26:07

I'm meaning to join the RNIB library here in Britain myself because there are some fantasy and sci fi books I want to read. I particularly want to try out the Dune books, and a friend of mine recommended the Pern books from Anne McCaffrey. I also hope the RNIB will get Neuromancer because I want to look at that, it is quite possible since they have its sequel in its series so they might be persuaded to do the first book in daisy.

So far though a lot of my reading has been the Discworld series, though someone let me listen to the Cardinal of the Kremlin by Tom Clancy which was interesting. I've also read a little fiction on the internet too, with www.magespace.net having some good fiction based on the Shadowrun roleplaying game.

Then there is the glory of audio novels, with the Falcon Banner sadly seeming stalled right now... thanks for telling me about that Dark. The same friend who recommended the Pern series of books also pointed me to a guy podcasting horror/sci fi novels, www.scottsigler.com though language and so on means not recommended for younger listeners. His current novel Nocturnal alternately and frequently makes me wince and laugh my socks off, especially with how good he has got at doing the voices.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-02-02 22:19:28

I don't know about the pern books. They have a slow start, but they seem to keep you going. The HP books are really good. Has anyone read the Eragon books written by Christopher Paolini. Can't think what the sirese is called. They are good if you like that kind of thing. I also read the Left behind books and they are OK, even if I don't have the same views. They could have had a little better start to begin with.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-02-03 01:36:51

As I've said Cx2, despite the Rnib's many problems, ---- nnot the least with sending books out of order, they are unfortunately the largest producer in the uk, so we just have to grin and bear it.

Last time the only neuromancer novel they'd done was count zero, ---- the second in the series. This I'm afraid is fairly typical of the rnib, ---- though they claime they are now changing policy, ---- and in fairness they have just finished the Dark tower by steven king (which I'm deffinately looking forward to reading the last three books of).

While the pern books have their moments, and are worth reading, for me they suffer far too much from the character safety problem. Everything can build to the point of a huge conflict, then it's fixed before anything goes too wrong.

the only one imho that really doesn't have this problem is the first dragonsdawn, about the landing on the planet and enginearing of the dragons, ---- but sinse the Rnib have only ever done that first book of the first chronicals, I'm not sure how it goes after that.

As to online stuff, thanks a lot for the horror link there Cx2. I've already mentioned the secret world chronicals on http://www.secretworldchronicle.com/

The only good super hero fiction I know. One of the writers of that has produced a novel called the blood baths, also available as audio, ----  a sort of roman esque fantasy with vampires, which was fun if rather too fond of courtizans. (as with the secret world chronicals, explicite content there).

I really like the falcon banner and Byran chroncials from darker projects, ---- and the Doctor who stuff is surprisingly good (if a litle heavy on the in jokes and references that only serious fans would get), But Darker projects does sometimes slightly frustrates me in the way they start loads of random series and don't continue with what they're doing, particularly as their starting even more new series off right now.

If they decide to drop a series, imho they should say so, and not just leave things hanging and go on to produce other stuff.

Saying that though, when they do go for a series it does come out well. I've considdered doing some voice acting with them myself, but I'm not sure on the work load and I am horribly busy at the moment with the production I'm doing.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-02-03 02:01:33

Well in all honesty the recommendation of the Pern series came from a friend of mine who has something of an obsession with dragons, laugh.

I really do intend to join the RNIB, I just haven't got around to getting in touch with them yet because one thing or another seems to come up and it sort of gets put on the back burner.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-02-03 10:49:51

Ah I know that feeling, ---- both of those feelings actually, I was obsessed with dragons myself at one point (in particular the flight of dragons film), and stil have a soft spot for them, ---- there's one sitting on the back of my settee right now ;D.

2011-07-16 15:49:48

OK. do any of yall like the james herriot books? Rite I'm reading a few of his books and can't help but laugh at some of the things he finds himself in. I won't spoil them for those who haven't read them yet.

DropBox Referral

2011-07-16 19:19:19

Wish I had been around for this subject when it first popped up.  But since I wasn't,

Books that are flowered down with so much unnecessary detail are automatically off the list, which is why the Harry Potter books got my atention right away when I first read them.  By the second chapter, I was hooked and couldn't stop reading because I needed to know what would happen next.  this could have horrible impact on books in later time, as now that I think about the Harry Potter series as a whole, all I ever see anymore is inconsistency, some fairly sloppy writing around the fourth book and later, and illogical deaths that need not have taken place and were written senselessly in my oppinion, sort of as an after thought, though I know many fans will disagree with me on this, so lets move on.

a friend of mine had me read the Twilight saga, possibly one of the most boring experiences in my life from beginning to end, but I wanted to say that I had read it and be able to discuss it truthfully rather than a subject where I simpy heard about it from other people and threw in my poor judgement.  I can honestly say that this series held nothing of interest, making vampires out to be these sexy creatures with romantic sides to them, and showcasing stereotypical teenage behavior at its highest levels.  I remember waiting around for some four chapters before thinking to myself, so, uh, why has nothing happened yet?  it took that long before any true action took place.  The first two chapters are seriously about the girl moving somehwre she clearly didn't want to be and how miserable she was about it, and that, my friends, is what I mean when I say that too much detail can just kill a book for me.

I gave up on the Wheel of Time; there again was something that one could slog through and fall asleep to and wake up to later and realize they hadn't missed much.

One of my friends who is a big fan of Steven King says even he has a way of detailing too meticulously those things which in the end really don't matter to the reader as was the case with Dream Catcher and Salem's Lot, and just a bit further  along, you can see Dean Koontz with just about every book he has ever written.

Another thing that slightly annoys me is that a few of these writers are absolutely predictable.  Steven King: there was a handicapped character who knew more than anyone else in this book, and his/her handycap was everything enhancing about this character and the main reason for this book.  Dean Koontz:  it was a sunny day with many wonderful, beautiful things going on, and then there was evil.

so, with that much criticism, what does that leave?

Interestingly enough, the list of books that I do like is quite a long one, and quite a few authors who I have criticised for their works are not completely horrible just because of the points I have brought up.  I tend to give everything at least one shot before calling it quits, and though some authors have caused me to make general assumptions with their work, I will never say that I know what their next book is going to be like, which is why Pet Cemitary and Dream Catcher are still good books, and though I will never enhoy the HP series as I did when I first read it, it has its place.  other works include The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood, Lord of the flies, Island of the blue Dolphins, Anthem, Fahrenheit 451, the Old  Man and the Sea, the Three Musketeers, and many many more I won't mention for the sake of keeping this readable.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2011-07-16 20:07:26

i saw darks post about the sword of truth earlier, and i'm currently listening to them.
i absolutely love it so far, i'm on book 2, the stone of tears, and i just think they're a good series all together, obviously i've hardly touched the series over all, but the first book was amazing!
i also like the sharp novels by bernard cornwall.
adore hp, read them all,
lord of the rings,
and have been meaning to get into the wheel  of time, simply on other people's judgement,
another author i love is james patteson, his alex cross detective novels are fantastic!

2011-07-16 20:08:14

While I enjoy the wheel of time, I doubt anyone in their right mind who has read it would deny that the thing drags like nobody's business, especially the farther in you get.
And I've only completed book 5... I'm told the grinding to a halt gets worse for the next four or so!

But I still want to keep reading it, whenever I get the chance to get the next one. And the next one... and the next one... heck, even non-stop reading this would probably take a month to finish. lol

I suddenly want to reread Sherlock Holmes stories, now.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-07-16 23:15:44

Well I listened to the Wheel of time up to the 13th, and currant, book, and sure it drags a lot during the 9th and 10th book, but I think it got better as it builds up to what I hope will be a good ending.
I also listened to the mistborn Triligy by Brandon Sanderson, and I don't quite know what to make of it, but I'll say no more, so that I don't give away any spoilers. I also enjoyed the Sherlock Holmes stories: I think I've heard each one at least three times smile and I've listened to them dramatized as well.
I only recently completed the Sharp series by Bernard Cornwall, and it was also very enjoyable.
Have any of you heard of the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher?

Brendan
-----
There is one rule above all others for being a man.  Whatever comes, face it on your feet.
@bcs993 on twitter, feel free to follow!

2011-07-17 05:50:44

@Nocturnus: You echoed my thoughts completely regarding the twilight saga; I finally read it after my friends were exclaiming over how "good" it was; but I gave up after the 6th hour as I fell asleep. Agreed on the harry potter series; I've read so many fanfictions that are far better than the original works.

I do love the wheel of time but I really couldn't take the dragginess of the series and I stopped at book 9: winter's heart. Maybe I'll go back to it someday; hope that book 10 onwards isn't so horribly draggy.

@bcs993: Yes, I have indeed read the Dresden Files up to book 5 but gave up on it. I hate the main character's vampire girlfriend for some reason and it is pretty slow-moving and pretty predictable after a while.

Having said that though, Jim Butcher writes another complete, 6-book series entitled Codex Alera and in my opinion, it is far better than his Dresden Files series. If you like something like The Inheritence Cycle by Cristopher Paolini, you'll probably love Codex Alera as well. Its one of my favourite series of all time smile

Aside from fantasy, I enjoy scifi as well. Though I've read so many scifi books, the series that comes to my mind immediately is the lost fleet by John G. Hemry, who writes under the sudoname Jack Camble. Has anyone heard of it?

2011-07-17 13:47:01

Frankly the thing with the Dresden Files is the further you get into it the better it gets. The later books have included a lot of political intrigue regarding a war between the white council of wizards and the red court of vampires, traitors within the white court working for some unknown organisation which gets referred to for the sake of simplicity as "the black council" and various other much more meaningful matters. The White Council has on several occasions come within inches of a peace agreement with the red court, which ironically would have likely spelled their doom. Susan doesn't really come up that often to be honest and after the last book Changes you won't have to worry about her ever again.

The Lost Fleet series are worth a look if you like science fiction with space battles, though they can sometimes feel a little propagandaish. The battles aren't so much action fests as slow, plodding affairs where the fleet commander is trying to figure out what on earth the enemy are doing with the actual moments of action happening in fractions of a second as ships race past each other with the formations slicing at each other as best they can. There's also the twist of politics involved with certain people in the fleet unhappy with who got command and who are willing to go to any length to remove him, not to mention what will happen when someone they thought was a long dead hero turns up in the flesh with a large fleet the Alliance had to have practically written off by now. Not the gbest books in the world but the take on combat in space is interesting, turning it more into a game of chess than anything else.

cx2
-----

2011-07-17 15:37:17

The harry potter books deffently took a turn around the fourth or fifth book. I deffently think the lord of the rings was written alot better. You know, lots of back storry for those who want it and danger was usually around the corner.

DropBox Referral

2011-07-17 20:23:37

Hi,
My favourite book series of all time is and will always be HARRY! POTTER! That is the same for my favourite film and audio game! Well I know Sarah and the castle of witchcraft and wizardry isn't spacifically Harry Potter but it's in Hogwarts smile
Best Regards,

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2011-07-18 09:23:34

I've gone through the Lord of the Rings, the whole thing out of academic interest more than anything. I have to say it was rather slow and tended to drag, taking forever for the slightest things to happen. It feels more like a cross between fantasy and "high literature". Charles Dickens with elves and orcs.

cx2
-----

2011-07-18 13:31:48 (edited by Victorious 2011-07-18 13:33:00)

@cx2: you're riht about the lost fleet being more about strategy than anything else; haven't found a decent series that has more action than it though.

Lord of the rings is pretty slow and that's saying something as I listened to the BBC dramatization of it; the book would have been even slower IMO.

2011-07-18 16:22:37

True, in the Lost Fleet series when the formations contact each other all hell breaks loose. That's actually an interesting part of the fights, all Gyri can do is try and set up the movements to bring the ships together in the way that gives the Alliance fleet the best possible outcome then cross his fingers while the ships flash past each other and the computers control the weapons firing. Long periods of thought and stress split up by instants of sheer terror.

I actually didn't finish the Return of the King. I was less than three quarters of the way through the book and they've already defeated Sauron, with the book being split into 4 sections called "books" I was unable to finish the third knowing that the major plot line had already been resolved. I couldn't stand something like 15 chapters of everyone fawning over the valiant heroes.

Of course while Lord of the Rings was quite unique when it first came out the genre has been explored so much more since then and I can't help but feel that LotR is just very vanilla. Not to mention that the world only really has one problem in Sauron, even if there was the wizard I forget the name of trying to set up shop as well. Saruman?

cx2
-----

2011-07-19 00:32:40

well, sorry to go slightly off-topic, heh, but the sword of truth series is so gripping.
to anyone who's read it, i'm on book two at the point where prindan, one of the  mud-people brothers who swore to protect kahlan have turned evil! never saw that coming, absolute genius at work!

2011-07-19 14:23:07

@robla: I might give it a try but please tell me first, is it as draggy as the wheel of time? I don't want to fall asleep again while reading a series as draggy as WoT.

2011-07-21 11:46:17

hi,
I love reading books that make your blood freeze
or books that aren't predictable
I read all of r.a salvatore's books that library of congress had
the only thing that I didn't like about them is that they are so predictable
the good guys always always win
and major chars can defeat powerful enemies without even a scratch
that just doesn't seem right

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2011-07-24 04:31:03 (edited by Hayden 2011-07-24 04:32:33)

Hi,
It's funny. I have just started Lord of Chaos, but so far I am completely hooked. I did think the death that happened near the end of the fith book was too early in coming, but thre ya go. FOr me, the plotline is gripping, and I have always loved sticking to details.
Lord of the RIngs is another one of my favorites, not the least of which reason is Tolkien's writing style. I'm sure some would call it unnecessary, but that made a lot of the series for me.
The Harry Potter series took a plunge around the fifth book, Sirius' ending was totally unorthadox as far as I saw it. The deaths continued in this way into the seventh book, but I thought the polt for that one was masterfully done.
I read and reread the  Twilight Saga a couple of times, and I come to the same conclusion every time--the thing is an idealistic nightmare. Consider what happens to Bella--she becomes a vampire, her baby imprints on her friend who was just about at the breakingpoint, Bella is a perfect vampire in every way...the list goes on and on. And I don't mind the romance stuff either, but when it dominates the series to the exclusion of plot we've got  a problem.
Then there's Stephen King. SOme of his content can get a little...graphic, but again plotlines do it for me. IN some ways it is the same every time, yet I love the way he somehow finds new ways of implementing it in each of his books. His detailed backstories are also excellent, and give you pretty good insights into character histories.

P.S.
Could someone explain to me, why the fifth book in The Wheel of TIme was called The FIres of Heaven? I still haven't made any kind of connections

Best Regards,
Hayden