2016-07-21 16:15:02

Hi all.

First, @Jade, when I saw post number 40 I wanted to cheer loudly, in fact I did. You said everything I wanted to say and more, well done.

I've heard of Pokémon obviously and been so curious about it, but had no luck with playing any of what's out there, or what was.  A game like this just ticked all the boxes for me and I'm thrilled to bits with it.  There is so much I like. I particularly like that the maps, though huge, are less easy to get lost in and the new wall sounds are awesome, the old ones from Paladin used to trigger Migraine for me so that I had to give up the game.  the sound design and descriptions are just so good!  I really like learning about my monsters as I go along, finding out what they do best, which one is best against which.  I'm so glad I started with the Flamia, he's awesome!

I have absolutely no problem with the price tag, in my opinion this game is worth every red cent.  I also would agree that screenreader support would detract from the game experience.  So all in all this game is a hit with me, 3 hours plus play time and I'm just about to start exploring Hazeldale city. Bring it on!  Well done, Aaron, you rule!

Taking care of my sheep, pigs and mangle-worzles! :)

2016-07-21 16:15:56

All right. Before I get into this, please understand I'm not trying to step on toes. This is sort of a delicate balancing act between getting my point across and being pushy. If I stray too far, I apologize in advance. I'm not trying to slam anyone, this is an honest attempt at a dialogue.

Righto. I far, far prefer Paladin with NVDA rather than without. Gameplay speeds up, and since NVDA is one of my screenreaders of choice it also means I'm playing the game with a voice I not only like, but understand really well without trying. Like it or not, SAPI just isn't as good at pronunciation.
I do not know of any real-life player-side issues that adding NVDA support would have caused for Paladin. This doesn't mean there aren't any, it just means I've never noticed them. Maybe the code's ugly, or maybe if you wanted to do a very specific type of mini-game, NVDA support would be problematic, but the game in its current state only seems to benefit from that support. You gave a lot of players what they wanted, and they loved you for it.

To my way of thinking, Manamon is the same. I'm not far into the game yet, so it's possible there are elements of gameplay that would be unfeasible with a screenreader like NVDA. If so, I'd love to hear what they are and why they're troublesome. But from my admittedly limited perspective, all I see here is a game that won't be harmed from a player's point of view with the addition of NVDA support.

It feels a little like you're saying that you don't want to include support largely on principles. "It's not really meant to happen, screenreaders aren't the right tools for this". Yet I don't understand the direct limitations you would place upon yourself.
Is there a specific type of gameplay that you are seriously considering but which would become impossible with screenreader support? If so, what is it?
Is there a facet of gameplay already live which would become harder, impossible or just plain nasty from a player perspective because of screenreader support?
If the answer to either question is either "no", or "yeah but...", then we have an issue here.
Please don't refuse a thing purely because you are afraid of a problem that will never come to pass, or an issue that does not exist in a specific context.

To analogize for a moment here:
Let's say you used to have an air conditioner, but you had to stop using it because the electricity rates were going up. That's valid enough.
Now let's say you moved into an apartment where electricity was included. If you say you're not going to use the AC because it's too expensive, you're essentially refusing to do a thing based on criteria that no longer matter, or never did.
And that's what it looks like you're doing here. You're saying how ugly a screenreader can be with a game like this, but there are no examples of said ugliness for your players. In fact, there's nothing but upsides.

Okay, ramble over. Again, I apologize. Maybe your mind is just plain made up, and that's the end of it. But I do hope you give this some thought, or at the very least are willing to explain the specific issues, as you've been quite vague till now, by my way of thinking at any rate.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2016-07-21 16:19:58

And...

Slight
spoilers
ahead

If you've beaten the master on the top floor of the belltower, go back down and see if the stadium's open yet.

Short disclaimer: I'm going to say "gym" when I mean "stadium", "pokemon" when I mean "manamon", "ground" when I mean "earth" and so on, at least sometimes. I'll try and catch it, but you're working against basically eighteen years of off-and-on conditioning to a very well-established franchise. Haha.

2016-07-21 16:25:12

i see someone has done a recording, can this be in mp 3 if possible? trying to play the flac file on my iphnoe and it isn't working.

2016-07-21 16:38:21

Oh, sorry, but another thing I've noticed:

Manamon seem to be getting fairly balanced stats, at least so far. Stats don't seem to be spreading out much. But maybe that's because of the creatures I have.
Will this start to change as levels increase? For instance, is Hydrake a glass cannon with high attacking stats and bad defenses? Or is Squirmunk really really fast? I mean apart from training here.
That's one thing which, when compared to the source, seems a little different (and no, that might not be a bad thing). But if every manamon is fairly good at almost everything, that will worry me a bit, as it will take a lot of the competitive edge out of things, and will ultimately risk falling back on "use biggest attack, rinse, repeat".

While I'm on that "use biggest attack" thing, I have a couple more questions:

1. Is there any way to teach manamon new moves, or is their level-up list the extent of what they can learn?
2. Is there any way to see what a move does -before you learn it? I believe the description keys don't work while, say, learning an attack at the end of battle when you've already got five learned.
3. Does the computer AI, particularly in stadium fights or other boss fights, ever use strategy, or does it just pick a move at random? For example, Magic Lights to confuse, then spam a defense-drop move to make confusion do more damage when the target hits itself. One thing many pokemon trainers (particularly bosses) did was to have specific gimicks and strategies that you had to learn to counter (think Witney's Miltank, haha). And they didn't always execute flawlessly, but the move combos were there. Of course, this folds neatly into question 1, because if your movepool is limited to level-up attacks and those attacks don't contain good combinations, then obviously advanced tactics won't be quite as possible.
4. Do foes ever use items in combat? If you have enough herbs, I feel like you can sorta cheese your way to victory if you aren't being two-shotted by something. And okay, yeah, you can do that with the pokemon games too, it's true, but at least some of the bosses in those games use items to make the fight harder. Maybe you consider that an artificial difficulty enhancement, and that's fair enough I suppose. I'm also thinking of Norman's gym from RSE, where each trainer in a specific room of the gym would use an x-item on their pokemon at the start of combat. Example: in the attack room, the trainer uses an x-attack on his Zangoose right away, which gives Zangoose a boosted attack if he survives that first hit, and makes him considerably more dangerous.

If you don't have ways of teaching new moves, or the type of strategy discussed in questions 3 and 4, that's fine. I'm only curious.

2016-07-21 16:55:32

So, I'm having problems. I've decided to jump ahead and bring the guy his ring back before going to the stadium. Could that have been an accident? Trapped on the path with no way of going forward.

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.

2016-07-21 17:06:44

Slight
spoilers

You shouldn't be trapped. I was able to bring the guy his ring beforehand.
Or rather, I found the ring after he sent me looking for it, went to the new city with the stadium, unlocked it, went  in, killed some tamers, then gave him his ring back. The stadium master is still unbeaten because I'm playing the demo.
But I can't think of a reason why you've been trapped. If you made it to the village where the guy lost the ring, there should be nothing stopping you getting back to any of the three exits from the tunnel (one where you fought the dude who beat you and knocked you out, one to the village, one to the highroad or whatever it's called).

2016-07-21 17:11:14

I saw the one to the village... but I need to get to the city and I'm stuck on the path.

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.

2016-07-21 17:39:15

Hang on, what path are you stuck on, and how do you mean that you're stuck?

If you're min the mine tunnel, be sure to follow the walls. that place is a little confusing.

2016-07-21 17:43:01

Nope, I'm on the trail where you got knocked out, I came up to there because I know that takes you to the city. I'm done in the tunnels.

2016-07-21 17:55:19 (edited by Mayana 2016-07-21 17:57:15)

This is just my opinion, and I might be wrong, but one of the reason why the developer doesn't want to add screen reader support are sounds. Like he stated in one of his privies posts, with a screen reader you can't know when it has finished speaking. You have probably noticed that sounds play at relatively the same time as when something is spoken. With screen readers that couldn't be cone, because he can't predict when a screenreader will say something. Some people have their speed at 75 % and some just at 15.
Anyone who tried to play entombed with a screen reader probably knows why it's better to play it with sapi.
For everyone that hasn't: to put it simply, after you press attack or choose a spell the sounds will just play one after another without caring for the speech. they might finish playing long before the speech stops or long after.

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2016-07-21 18:02:14

To each their own, then. I won't play Entombed -without a screenreader, honestly. SAPI is slow, cumbersome and makes you wait. Sometimes I want to scroll past text. As a player I want that option.

@GhostRider, I have no idea how to help, I'm sorry. If you're on the path where you got knocked out, then there should be a ladder to the north of you that lets you back in. You got out there, after all, so just use the same way to come back in. I can't think of why an obstacle would crop up...which of course doesn't mean that there isn't a bug. I just can't wrap mmy head around it.

Very annoyed right now. Friend decided to give me twenty-five bucks so I can cover the cost of Manamon. And now Paypal is being weird. The first couple of times I tried, it said my session timed out, even though I'd only been logged in for ten seconds or less. Now, if I try, it says there's an error and tries to send me back to the merchant page. And I obviously haven't bought the game, because I have no paypal receipt and no Manamon key.

2016-07-21 18:10:27 (edited by sanslash332 2016-07-21 18:15:16)

Well, hello Aaron, a few questions.

First of all, if you don't want the option for add NVDA, why simply you add two things.
1. the option to switch between NVDA or sapi, depending the preferences of the user, and simply put a default text speed.
2. About the text speed... ¡the battles are too low! Can you give the option to increase the speed of the battle information? Simply play pokemon omega ruby, or pokemon cristal, and try to put a speed similar of these games or more. For example, the speed of dialogs is OK, but in battle is necessary give the option to increase this, without disabling the animation sounds.
3. Apart of NVDA and Sapi, can you give the option for output to clipboard?
4. how works the speed and the turn based system? Is like a pokemon, when one turn consist on all moves of each active pokemon, and you chooce your move before the turn, or each turn is each move of each pokemon, and you only pick your move before your turn.
When I playing, I've dettect that you implement the system like the second option. For example  I have a slow manamon, and when I encountered a wild manamon, it attacks me without brings me the menu to chooce mi action.
With that system, is too hard train a manamon using the pass system. If you want to carry with a manamon with low level, to a higher area, you can't sent it for next switch to a higher manamon and next share qthe ex. Because the opponent attack before that you can switch and kill the training manamon u.u
5. viewing that the speed system aparently works like that... how woks when you reduce (or increase) the speed of a manamon? When is check the order of turn to determine who have to move and chooce its action?
6. What is the factor of each level of changes on any stat? Is like a pokemon, where a boost of two levels in a stat, is a increase of X2 on that stat, and a level of -2 is a *0.5 factor on that.
7. Currently exist a hidden stat factor that affects to each stat of a manamon, like IVS (individual values) and EVS (efort values) in pokemon? Or only have the base stat, and the distribution of TP that you do in your manamon.
This is thinking, for example if you catch two murkits and they have different base stats, because values, or natures.
And ¿exist in the game the breeding?
And if exist, what things you can get with the breeding.

Thanks, these are all things.
pd! One more think that I forget!
¡please, add a option to shut up sapi! t-t. Is necessary te classic control function to shut up the currently spoken text!
A, and with that, say every time that you press z (copied to clipboard) is ... unecessary u.u
A, another option to switch the keis.... i want use Z as a, and X as b. not c t-t.

2016-07-21 18:17:03

@Jayde I totally agree, I also play entombed with a screen reader myself. I was just sogesting that maybe the developer didn't implement screen reader support for that reason.

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2016-07-21 18:22:18

While I won't be purchasing Manamon based on my experience with Psycho Strike, I'll play devil's advocate and state that the developer shouldn't cave in and add options he didn't want to implement from the outset. He obviously had his own reasons for not implementing the screen reader support, and the game works just fine without that feature.

Sometimes, a developer just has to put his foot down and say no. When a developer tries to cater to every whim and desire, his project becomes tedious and prone to more bugs as he scrambles to fulfill every request. If he keeps the project at a standard, then there's not as much to contend with.

Now, granted, this doesn't mean I think he should repeat Psycho Strike and abandon the game now that it's released, but future dev should be restricted to bug fixes and content delivery, if possible. Just as Pokémon went through several generations, Manamon could stand to do the same.

Oh, as an amusing note: When you view the firebreath skill for the Flammea manamon, it says it's "fame" type. lol. A fire breath that makes you famous?

Kai

Spill chuck you spots!

2016-07-21 18:22:36

I can field a couple of those:

1. The speed thing is probably semi-intentional, to stop you bringing a level 2 something-or-other into a fight against a level 40 to rake in the exp. It's a little annoying, but in general I can live with it.
2. In that same vein, it's not possible to bring in a weak manamon in order to revive a strong one. You won't be given the chance. I actually like this. It stops you using a weak mon as setup fodder, which I always thought was kind of a cheap tactic. The only thing is, it seems to result in even slower mons getting first attack afterword. That, or I'm lucky or remembering it wrong.
3. Regarding fixed text speed: I think that would be anightmare trying to put that into a screenreader, forcing it to override its previous settings. Strikes me as a very bad idea.
4. If you want to speed battles up, turn animations off. It gets fairly zippy after that.
5. IVs, DVs or whatever you call them in this game, do exist in some form. There's actually a guy in the first or second town in the hotel, I think, and he'll tell you all about it. He can rate your mon's stats.
6. Based on really really rough calculations, one "stage" in this gamme, as far as stat drops or buffs, refers to a modification of x0.5
If Bulpine has an attack of 40 and uses Sharpen, it becomes 60. At least, I'm quite sure that's how it works. But unlike pokemon, it maxes out at 4 instead of 6. Also, I'm not sure if buffs/debuffs are applied to the base stat after modification or to the modified stat.
Example:
Bulpine with attack of 40 used sharpen, raised to 60
Bulpine used sharpen again; does attack go from 60 to 80, or 60 to 90? What is being modified? I'm not sure of that one.

Haha, Aaron, get prepared for a lot of little fiddly questions like this. Quite a few of us are pokemon metagame experts, and we'll probably try and dissect the guts of this thing before long.

2016-07-21 18:28:37

@previous poster,

I take your point. Don't cave just to cave, by any means. But sometimes a developer will decide to do something (or not to do something) for a reason that doesn't make sense, and sometimes the players outcry for something should trump that. There is, in other words, such a thing as putting your foot down purely because you can, and that's arguably worse than caving just because you can't be bothered arguing. That argument is a double-edged one.
Basically, having the mind of a developer myself, I ask myself the following questions:
What are my problems with the suggested implementation?
How great is the outcry for said implementation? Is it considerable enough to compete with my misgivings?
If my game is a commercial endeavour, and the implementation might attract future customers, is the boost in revenue great enough to offset my issues with the implementation in question?
Will the implementation in question negatively impact either the game (from the player side of things) or my revenue stream from the endeavour?

I can't just say "I don't want to do it because I personally don't like screenreader support, so it's done". Well, I can, but I wouldn't.

2016-07-21 18:46:18

Hello Jayde,
Well the reason I've been vague is because its a fundamental underlying issue.
But I'll try and explain some of the problems now.
1: You cannot check to see if the voice is speaking.
This means you lose many synamatics. You can't fix this merely by adding a delay, even a configurable delay. Take theses to sentences.
Hello, My name is bob.
We'll rendezvous at the metropolitan city next to the large fountain.

As you can see, these sentences take vastly different amounts of time. Fare enough, lets use a multiplier.
Well, that still doesn't work, because of silent letters and other grammatical factors.
There are many reasons why a delay is not plausible.
So the only option left is forcing you to press enter to continue every single time there's blocking speech.
This is what Paladin does.
It was OK in Paladin because the main time this changed things was when you were being attacked by an enemy.
Enemies in Paladin usually do about the same damage each time, so skipping that wasn't a big deal.
Here, though, it would be all to easy to just guess how much damage a move is going to do, and then skip the message when it actually did, say, 3 times the damage.
The argument for this that I've heard is, "well that's there problem", but as a developer, it is my job to insure that things like that don't happen.
I have to make sure that the player being foolish doesn't cause problems with presentation, only with difficulty of the actual game mechanics.
That's why I let you skip some things, and not others.
Some players aren't going to be as good at the game as others, and this could easily add to the learning curve as I've mentioned above. People are already missing things even with SAPI, just imagine how much worse it would be if there skipping text everywhere.
More importantly, they may not even skip it intensionally, bringing me to my next point.
2: Pressing any key is enough to stop any screen reader I'm aware of from speaking.
In cases where your not able to repeat this, you can easily miss what the speech had to say, just because you accidentally pressed tab, q, control, whatever it may be.
Granted Manamon is not an action game, but in an action game context, this especially can cause problems. In several games I've played, I've missed what the speech was saying because I pressed up to jump. No way, at that point, could I find out what the speech had been saying.
Though this is not as prominant of an issue in Manamon, I do believe it exists.
We do, later on, have a count down sequence which would be broken as well, though granted this isn't a huge problem.
I cannot speak for all screen readers, but I'd imagine even external factors like tweats or windows balloon notifications would also cause problems here, because the screen reader might interrupt.
Granted, I think NVDA handles that well, but I'm not an NVDA user.
3: Conclusion
There are many SAPI5 voices, many free and many paid.
Just because Anna and similar voices aren't the greatest by no means mean they're the only SAPI5 options.
SAPI5 is really just an interface to another program. We all know there are some good programs which are optimized and fast, and bad programs which are sluggish. The same is true for SAPI5 voices.
I know it seems to many that I'm close minded on this issue, but I'm really not. I considered screen reader support long before release, weighing each pro and con, and am listening to all of these posts regarding it intently.
To make games that try to be equal with their video game counterparts, it takes control. And screen reader just do not offer that control.
I made the illusion earlier to a game where the programmer cannot tell when sounds end. That would make the game unplayable.
Though this would not affect the game as much as this hypathetical scenario, they are different intensities of the same evil as it were.
Once again, I'm not close minded on this issue. I am taking everything into account.
I hope I've clarified a few things, and if you do want further reading, perhaps re-reading my prior posts with this context might help.
Best regards,
Aaron

2016-07-21 18:48:39

Aaron,

Quite apart from all the other discussion, I'm having an issue with Paypal at the moment which could use your attention.
I would've contacted you using the Contact link on your website, but it's a send mail link. Which means you need a Microsoft account. I use gmail only, so I can't get in touch with you that way.
Would you consider tweaking the VG Storm website to actually give an email address so that people can just use that in their email provider of choice?

I will detail my problem below, without identifying info of course:

I went to purchase the game using your website. I put my first and last name in the box and hit "pay now with Paypal".
When prompted, I logged into Paypal, then hit the "pay now" button. I was immediately logged out of Paypal, despite only being on it for about ten seconds.
I tried again, this time with Firefox. Same result. Logging back in didn't work (actually caused IE to freeze once). Now I'm not necessarily figuring you can fix that part, that sounds like maybe a paypal thing.
But here's the weird part. I waited a bit, and tried again. Now, if I type my name into the box on your website and hit the "pay now using Paypal" button, it immediately throws an error, and says the transaction could not be completed. It does this before asking me to log in, and it didn't do this before.
I called Paypal technical support, who suggested I get in touch with you first on the off chance you've tweaked something on your website or merchant info that would throw an error.
In the meantime, I guess I'll just hold on.

2016-07-21 18:58:58

Did you try clearing your cache and cookies?

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2016-07-21 19:01:09 (edited by Aaron Baker 2016-07-21 19:03:18)

Jayde,
I just quickly varified that when I click it, it still lets me log-in, which it does. This definitely sounds like a PayPal issue.
I'm very sorry your having these issues, but I don't have access to anything to help.
And I feel for you, PayPal customer support can be a pain sometimes.
Best of luck.
Oh, and the email link is a mailto link. Just right click to copy the address to the clipboard. There are bots all over this forum, so I'll not write it here, even though its public on the site.
Best,
Aaron

2016-07-21 19:02:29

So I'm running into a problem where the page up/down keys aren't actually changing music volume for some reason, same goes for the global volume.

In my opinion the screenreader access should be left up to players. I mean yes, you're going to lose accuracy to auto scrolling, so just give a warning in the menu that its not going to be as accurate. If there really is a huge sequence that needs timing for dramatic effect, juts use sapi for that sequence if you must, but again I don't think its really necessary, just provide a speed option. right now I'm finding it really hard to hear what's going on at points because I only have Microsoft Anna and I'm not going to buy a Sapi voice just for one game. So in my view screenreader access should be implemented for that reason alone.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2016-07-21 19:06:46

Okay,

Regarding your NVDA thing, we may just have to agree to disagree about learning curve. But I'm gonna take one last crack. Again, this is discussion, nothing more and nothing less. I have a tendency to be abrupt and sometimes forceful when I write, so please bear that in mind.

If I'm playing a regular pokemon game, if I hammer the a key, I will skim past dialogue. If a sighted player is doing likewise, he misses things. This is par for the course. It doesn't add to the learning curve because the only thing you have to know as a gamer is "don't just freaking button-mash". This is not a valid defense of SAPI because even if you button-mash in the first little bit of the game, you'll miss a bit of dialogue and that's all. You can easily talk to people to get refreshed, or explore and figure out what you're doing. Besides, even using SAPI you can button-mash and miss the actual attack the foe is doing, so it's even weaker as an argument.
Frankly, there is no way to totally stop a player from potentially skipping info. Let them do it if they want. Don't force-feed them at a pace you personally prefer.
If this was a heavy action game with no way to review the last line sent to the game, then okay, you'd have me. But it's not, so NVDA support for a game of this type would make a lot of sense, same as it did with Paladin.
Hell, you could always stick a mention in the manual, should you add NVDA support, that doing so may cause you to skip things if you're not careful. Give players warning, then let them decide if they want to bother. If you can add the NVDA support within a couple of hours, and if it wouldn't break the game (which it won't, the same way it didn't for Paladin), I'd say go for it. Let 'em have it and deal with the consequences.

Regarding interrupts, I have never, ever been interrupted while playing Paladin. And believe me, dragon-strike scrolls would be a bitch to be interrupted if your screenreader was constantly feeding you outside info. A lot of external programs are configured such that they don't actually announce anything unless they've got focus. And yet again, I'll cite the sighted player who's gaming on his laptop. If he really doesn't want to be interrupted, he shuts off the things he doesn't want in the way.

What it sounds like here is that you are trying to protect absolutely everyone from absolutely every conceivable gaming issue even when they're neither prominent nor within your control. And you're doing it at the potential expense of the pleasure of your players...players you're trying to convince to pay forty American dollars for your pokemon clone. It's laudable, in a way. I admire your heart. But sometimes a heart gets in the way. That's not snideness or sarcasm, BTW, it's just straight-up fact. You're saying "the other SAPI voices are better", except I'm not going to pay seventy dollars to have Eloquence for SAPI and another forty to pay for your game. That's asking one hell of a lot just so I can have the voice I prefer narrating a game I want to play.

If I was asking you to force players to use only NVDA, then you'd have a strong case. As it is, I'm asking you to add the support so that players who wish can use it. It will come with a couple of shortcomings for those players, but they, not you, should be the ones deciding whether those shortcomings are worth it. Because here's the thing. Say I play your game with NVDA. Native NVDA support doesn't screw up the game for anyone else who's not using it, so some SAPI-content user will not have the problems. Put another way, think of people who drink soda. Soda will rot your teeth. Now, you could either sell soda at your well-loved family restaurant because it's very popular and everyone loves it, or you could say "I don't want you drinking soda, so have water instead". Taking that approach suggests rather strongly that you, as a developer, are presuming to decide what's best for me.
To wrap it up: sell soda, and let me drink it if I want to. I've been duly warned that it will rot my teeth, but at least while I am drinking soda, it won't hurt others who choose not to. And it especially won't hurt you.

2016-07-21 19:18:58

Getting rid of cookies and stuff worked. I'm now registered! Thanks for that recommendation.

Got a nice little gift too, which is cool. I don't know if everyone gets the same gift, or if it's chosen from a pool, but I can't complain about mine. Might be tough to pump him up though. Ah well, off I go to drown for awhile.

2016-07-21 19:22:04

The gift is the same for everyone, but he'll change the gift periodically, like he did for paladin. Glad that worked.

Take care, it's a desert out there.