2016-07-17 08:58:34

Hi moderatees! I want to know one thing about user karma.
I want to know the users who gave me user karma
Is there any way to check that whom I have thumbed up and by whom I have been?
Thanks
Ishan

life's battle do not always go to the stronger and faster man,
But sooner or later who win the one who thinks he can!

2016-07-18 01:35:41

Unfortunately not, though user karma is actually supposed to be anonymous to stop people getting grabby and playing favourites so this one makes sence, after all it'd be a bit bad if someone was allowed to get away with murder on the forum because she/he gave everyone else lots of user karma.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-07-18 08:01:19

it means that I cannot be express my gratitude who give me thumbs up.
Thanks
Ishan

2016-07-18 14:47:59

Well either way, I'm afraid it simply isn't possible with the way user karma works on this board, it's just not part of the settings for the extention PUnBB uses.

Sorry.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-07-18 14:53:18

Although not that important, I agree that it would have been nice to know who gave me karma and more importantly, for what message.

On the other hand I understand Dark's position of why it's anonymous.

I myself only bother to check my karma about once a month out of curiosity, and even then I have to remember to check it, and with my memory there's no guarantee of that! [Shrugs]

2016-07-18 15:39:40

Were it possible to change the Karma system to a "liking" system where it showed under each post who'd liked what, I'd certainly consider it, though also bare in mind those sorts of systems can make board pages very cluttered and long winded to read (the core exiles board used to have one), however that's just not the way Karma works on PunBB.

It's not so much that I have a preference, more that this is the way things are and I prefer to look at the advantages of what we have and why it might have been designed that way in the first place.
As I said, were there an alternative I'd certainly consider using it, but I've checked the admin settings and there just isn't one.

Remember, that what can be done on the boards in terms of features depends upon what PunBB has. While we have got some custom coding for the boards such as the way news topics are written to the front of site, manifestly Sander and Richard don't have massive amounts of time to hand code everything from scratch, and that goes doubly for what are essentially fairly superficial things like user karma.

2016-07-18 18:40:00

Agreed.

Besides being a time consuming task, making a large change like that to the forum software would introduce the problem of having to partially redo it every time you wanted to update the forum software to a newer version.

For page clutter, that information could be offered as part of a members profile as a separate karma page if you wanted to record all karma awards, or as part of the introduction page and only show the last 4 or 5 karma points awarded.

Bottom line is, if people want more information about where their karma points came from, they should offer it as a suggestion to the Pun BB developers.

2016-07-19 03:59:25

The user Karma should work like this. Say, when someone gave you a thumbs up below a post, The forum should give you a notifications.

And this forum should have a link that says "notification" at the top of the page, as well.

2016-07-19 12:48:32

That would be nice Socheat, but again the Karma system on PunBB just doesn't let you do that.
Actually I've never seen a board that does. Usually where some sort of liking system is in place it's either anonymous Karma like this one, or where you do get notifications, it also lists after each post who has liked it.

So, it'd probably take custom coding to let you know.

The workaround I tend to do myself however is when I notice my karma increase, I set the find function with supernova to the plus symbol, ie +.

Usually odds are that if I get a karma increase it's for a recent post, and likely for a topic I'm already writing in, so if I see my karma go up I just search for that + (there isn't that frequent amount of karma), and usually get to see which of my posts someone seemed to like  enough to want to give it a thumbs up.

2016-07-19 15:17:06

On the Steam user's forum, they don't do either. Just like PunBB, you see your karma by looking at one of your posts. To the left of each message is some information about that message's author, there you can see your karma rating, it's a link that takes you to a page that shows you the last five people to give you karma and for what post they gave it to you for.

Note that the Steam forums don't call it karma, but it's the same thing. The Steam forums use vBulletin, a very graphical forum system that's not very screen reader friendly.

2016-07-19 22:13:25

Ah, that's not a system I've run into Figment, though I could see the logic in having a profile page like that which showed karma, though again as I said, if PunBB doesn't have it we probably can't here.

2016-07-20 16:47:30 (edited by Figment 2016-07-20 16:48:13)

If people want it, my best suggestion is to make their requests directly to the PunBB developers.

Beyond that, I wouldn't mess with it. What we have is good enough for me.

2016-07-21 08:43:15

Dark, how do you go to search the thumbs up post? I mean, how do you know, which one is the post that contains thumbs up?

2016-07-21 18:06:41

@Sochet, the find function I meant in post 9 is supernova's ability to jump instantly to any text on a webpage. You can type what text you want it to jump to, and then search with one key press, and that text will remain in the search function until you type something else.
So I just hit f3, type + and then hit F4 when looking at topics I've replied to to find where someone has given me a thumbs up.

I don't know how other screen readers are with this sort of function, but if there's something similar it might be useful.

2016-07-21 20:07:43

JAWS can do that too. You just press control+F, then enter what you are looking for, + in this case, then press enter. What you searched for remains until you search for something else, so on another page you can just press F3 to search for + again.

2016-07-22 07:42:26

Ahoy there,

You can actually see which posts you have received karma  for, it would say something like plus 1,or plus 2 and so on  depending on how many people thumbed it up
that's what dark and others are talking about here, and a easier way to search for the posts that have been thumbed up.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2016-07-22 10:01:08

@Grryf, I know that. But sometimes, people not just thumbs up your latest posts, but they could also thumbs your other posts as well.

2016-07-22 16:10:14

Hi figment sir!
How can I do that? when I searched for +1 it showed an error.
Thanks
Ishan

2016-07-23 02:39:36

Make sure the topic that you're searching with JAWS has something that begin with +1 in it. otherwise, it won't works.

2016-07-23 14:33:13

Just in case you got more than 1 thumbs up on a post, it's better to search for just the + sign.

2016-08-14 11:49:15

If you are not logged in, you can thumb up a post more than one time, and you can't cancel it.

On a slightly different note, Dark, why do you use Supernova? It's certainly not one of the most popular screen readers. Have you ever tried anything else, and why do you stick to it? I've heard that it's very nice, but I don't know why so many people are so fiercely loyal to it.

2016-08-14 14:26:51

@Tj, I use supernova mostly for the same reason most people use their software, I have used it for 18 years, am very used to the way it works and find that I can do a lot with it. I did try jaws but found it's settings and processes literally incomprehensible, I couldn't set it to do convenient things like stop reading capitals when on continuous read, I also didn't like the web page reformatting it did.
Supernova is extremely easy to monkey with the settings of, which is helpful.

What I like particularly about supernova is it's ability to have a useful virtual curser and work well with pretty much anything that has text, whetherh or not it is particularly mapped to do so, which makes it very handy for playing games like the SMugglers series, since the virtual curser in Supernova is highly useful and very easy to move around the screen and perform mouse operations with, it also works well with console windows and interactive fiction games. Another advantage of supernova is an instant flick off of the hotkeys and/or voice, none of that key grabbing or putting to sleep thing that Jaws has, meaning that frequently I'll play a game, watch a film or do something else I don't need my screen reading program for, pause it, alt tab out of the window ad go and answer my email or write on this site or similar, then just alt tab back, flick off the hotkeys and/or voice and continue.

I also like the human Orphius voice Alan which can be used with Supernova. The synthetic dave voice is pretty grotty, and I personally really! do not liek eloquence (it's Uk english accent is very irritating), but I find the human voice a nice compromise between speed of reaction and understandability, plus because I have realspeak daniel for both Sapi and for my phone, I would rather not have it for supernova as well.

I have tried Window eyes on my lady's computer, but I'm afraid I didn't get on well with that at all, I found the inability to read windows and a lot of the virtual curser commands a right pain, also setting it was a nightmare, particularly since it often wouldn't read very basic windows elements like screen alerts, meaning that if a window popped up saying "Do you want to delete the entire contents of your harddrive" you coulldn't read anything but the okay button. It was also extremely bad at starting and generally rather buggy, though I don't know how much of that was my lady's computer since that was a pretty dodgy machine that literally collapsed completely after barely three months. ACtually I have now installed Supernova on her laptop and she's getting on better since she never really got the window eyes commands that well.

I probably ought to  try Nvda at some point for interest's sake, though what I've heard of the rather complex commands for basic functions like moving NVda's screen review curser around is a bit of a putoff as is the espeak voice, still I do admire the Nvda project and ought to give it a go just for support reasons.

I did have a look a few years ago at getting a mac with vo and indeed tried one out since I've been quite impressed with voiceover on Ios, though that's probably not going to happen now simply since as I'm now living with someone else my space for extra computers is rather more limited than it might have been. Voiceover looked usable, though a lot of the commands again seemed needlessly complex and the web navigation it had was not exactly streight forward being as tab didn't work in the usually expected way.

Disclaimer! this isn't to say "supernova is the best!" or anything similarly stupid, just that it's what I've found myself able to use most conveniently and do a lot with.
I will say Supernova is far more well known in Europe than America, particularly with it's ability to read in different languages at one keypress (an ability my lady has used on several occasions being as she's by lingual in German).

2016-08-14 14:51:27

Exactly, that's why I use JAWS, I'm used to it and have no problems using or understanding it's commands and settings.

I tried NVDA but found it had behaviors I didn't like and it system for program specific settings either incomprehensible or non existent.

Is JAWS the best? Freedom Scientific thinks so, but I don't, I don't think any screen reader holds that title because each has it's own flaws and weaknesses. It's more accurate to say that JAWS is best for me, just as Super Nova is best for Dark, and NVDA is probably best for tjt1234, I say probably because I don't know what he uses but suspect its NVDA.

2016-08-15 09:30:04

Actually, I use JAWS, though I am not loyal to it. It's just that I use some of its features that are nonexistent or much more difficult to utilise in other screen readers. I am learning to use NVDA (well actually, I will learn when I find some time).