2016-07-22 10:13:25 (edited by Slender 2016-07-22 10:23:27)

The last time eloquence was updated was in 2002, when it was owned by SpeechWorks International, Inc. And I'm wondering if Nuance even has the Eloquence source code anymore, or if they just have the dll's necessary to use it. I suspect the latter.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2016-07-22 15:33:04 (edited by Figment 2016-07-22 15:56:55)

@Grryfindore and Exodus

Both of you are perfect examples of why I don't want to be a part of the NVDA user's community. Sure, there are a lot of software pirates that also pirate Windows, the same is true for the macOS. The difference is that most of those people don't go around telling everyone to steal the software they need. I've only seen this behavior among NVDA user's. I first encountered it a while back when I pointed out that what they were doing was software piracy, the response I got was that they didn't care.

Even audiogames.net doesn't seem to care. Every other forum I frequent would delete such messages as the ones you two have posted and warned you not to do it again or be permanently banned. Yet the moderators here turn a deaf ear to it and let it pass. When I saw someone offer to give someone else a copy of a licensed version of Pure Basic, I reported it because I thought audiogames.net didn't support software piracy, the response I got from Dark was that it wasn't hurting anybody!

And then people here complain and wonder about the lack of high quality games! It wouldn't take long for any software developer who visits here to become aware of the willingness of people here to steal software.

Considering that you people are just going to steal it, why should Nuance spend money and resources updating Eloquence?

I myself am working on two games, but you'll never see them here, I'm not stupid enough to offer my games to people I know will just steal them.

To be honest, I'm surprised there are any developers here that want to sell their games when it's so obvious that they'll just get pirated. But then again the ground is littered with lots of close game developers and abandoned games, I guess now we know why, it's hard to stay in business when your products just get stolen.

2016-07-23 02:31:42 (edited by Exodus 2016-07-23 02:32:50)

Excuuuuse me. I dunno if it's because your right up there on your high horse, maybe my post sounds different or something up there...
Where exactly did I say hey guys I totally think you should go steal eloquence!

My post was mearly about how you can't apply stealing to this situation. Seeing as your using equipment that you own to manufacture a copy of something. Did you sing along to the radio today? Congratulations by your own logic, you've infringed on the rights of whoever you sung along to. and stole their work. You thief you. Now, from the lofty hights that such a beast as your high horse allows you to reach, you must have also missed the part where I talked about purchasing eloquence... so Here we go again.

I myself purchased eloquence for my android device Went into an area with no signal and have the TTS completely cut out on me. I could not use my phone at all, given the only words that eloquence would say when touching items were to the effect of unable to varify licence. Given that I'd payed quite a chunk of cache in APP terms, naturally I was furious. I'd payed money for this app, Showed  support from them and this was how I was repayed? My phone reduced to a brick that says the same few words over and over again. So... I was not going to stand for this. Using my own time, electricity, computer hardware, bandwidth and money, I manufactured myself an alternative. Eloquence with the bloody stupid online checkin system disabled... All so I could use my phone, hardware that I own I might add on my own terms.

In conclusion, I didn't steal anything, Stop attempting to convince other readers of this thread that I did.

Regarding...  this. thing.
I myself am working on two games, but you'll never see them here, I'm not stupid enough to offer my games to people I know will just steal them.

Yeah... cut a large chunk of your potential market off through some stupid notion that this place is a den of theeving complainers, throffing at the mouth eagerly awaiting the release of your games so they can steal them and slink back into the shadows.

I have no idea what games you are developing, but I can say for sure that your attitude towards me and my fellow gamers here stinks, and I won't be purchasing your titles. Given that you don't wish to bring them here, that shouldn't be a big deal though.
I do Wish you and your games nothing but the best. Everyone deserves their chance at success at the end of the day.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2016-07-23 14:50:42 (edited by grryfindore 2016-07-23 14:52:56)

@exodus, +1 again. big_smile

Figment, I don't know about that, I'm a windows user and according to you if I "steel" then I indeed do encourage others to dam well do so, you quitting windows anytime soon? lol
ahh wait, I also use a mac. tongue

I would encourage you to read what I have written about pirating of software and such in reply to your oh so amusing post.
More often than not, I try my best to support software developers,specially game developers.
if a software on IOS for example has access built into it, or if not and the developer puts in effort and his time to build in the missing access to voiceover and so on, I tend to support that developer with a purchase or spreading around the word about it wherever I can, or with inapp purchases even if I don't make use of those
It is the huge corporations I refuse to waste my cash on, more so if that software hasn't been updated in ages,there hasn't been  a single word about from them about the software in question for years and years case in point, nuance or if its abandon, is not easily purchased or no way to purchase, and yes that last one discludes not being able to afford something.

Did I say, I also use ios?
lol
I guess that only leaves android,but from what I heare, those users of androids are oh so naughty naughty children encouraging piracy,steeling and god knows what else.
tongue

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2016-07-23 15:08:36

Merriam-Webster wrote:

Simple Definition of steal
1: to take (something that does not belong to you) in a way that is wrong or illegal
2: to take (something that you are not supposed to have) without asking for permission
3: to wrongly take and use (another person's idea, words, etc.)

Notice that in the first 2 definitions, no real distinction between physical and non physical property is made, and the 3rd definition specifically lists non physical property.

So using software without the permission of the owner is stealing, like it or not!

You can try to justify your stealing with whatever imaginary beleifs you can dream up. But, just the fact that you have to dream up those explanations proves that you know you are stealing.

I'm not perfect, about 15 years ago I was really bad about pirating software, just about every piece of software I had wasn't paid for. But in 2002, I got smart, and over the next 2 years, bought licenses for every piece of software I wanted to keep and removed all traces of those programs I wasn't going to pay for. Since then I've made it a point to make sure that every piece of software I use is properly licensed.

2016-07-23 15:09:30

At figment, noone has posted links to pirated software on this topic nor have they asked for any software, so no harm done. They only time i would ban someone is if they made links available on a topic in question. What people do off the forum is up to them, it's not like we can control people's habits by simply banning them.

2016-07-23 15:41:33

Although software piracy isn't legal and in most cases wrong, I do beleive nuance is in a gray area, because there is much less compitition in the speech market then there is with cars, pcs, etc. If hp would want to buy dell, or something similar, it'd be blocked by the eu at least. What nuance is doing is abusing there dominant position by charging a lot for something they have abandoned. All that nuance does is buy tts companies, and then shut them down. When was the last time you saw a new voice from nuance? Unless I've missed something, they have made no voices at all. So all the money you give to nuance goes straight into profit, no tts research or something similar.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2016-07-23 16:59:13

I would just say oh well, i wasted two weeks, then i would quit, and find another job that paid money. but before i found the other jobb that actually paid i would put on my resume that i did volunteer work for that other boss that did not pay me. so in a way that boss did not pay me in money, but the job that did not pay me in money paid me in more experience instead. money is not everything.

2016-07-23 17:08:57

at figment you're right. at most i would tell the boss it was a bit dishonest and to list that job as volunteer work. but you're right he stole nothing because i lost nothing but gained more experience.

2016-07-23 17:10:36

at exodus, i agree with you complete. its not stealing, at most its just a bit dishonest that is all.

2016-07-23 17:12:30

yes and furthermore i paid $70 for a sapi5 eloquence that doesn't even give me inflectionn control, takes 30 or so seconds to load on first startup freezing the machine in the process. come on a hacked version works better. heck even the older sapi4 viavoice outloud works better.

2016-07-23 17:14:31

i wish someone would make a sapiBridge utility that would let us use any sapi4 voice as if it was a sapi5 voice. then we could use viavoice outloud or eloquence sapi4 as if it were sapi5.

2016-07-23 17:16:39

also figment i cannot afford jaws, so i bought a really really cheap jaws key for maybe $5 or so from some foreign folks. and guess what? it gives me unlimited use on unlimited number of machines and I get 9 or 10 smas as opposed to the 2 or 3 freedom gives you when you pay their rediculous price of over $1000.

2016-07-23 17:19:41

at exidus, do you think you or anyone else could make a sapiBridge utility for windows with a small gui that will let us assign sapi4 voices to sapi5 and use sapi4 voices as if they were sapi5 voices? International tts from baum does this but if you try to use your sapi4 voice as a sapi5 voice outside of virgo or cobra you get a stupid watermark saying this voice is intended for use with cobra and virgo only and your once free sapi4 voice becomes unuseable as a sapi5 voice. stupid.

2016-07-23 17:22:13

also to both exodus and grifindor, plus one thousand to those! i try to support software devs also. i bought eloquence several times over including for android for $20. I'm tired of buying it over and over. and I'm tired of the sapi5 version with its stupid drm taking 30 seconds to load. would someone just please write a sapi4 to sapi5 bridge utility that will let any sapi4 voice behave as if it were sapi5 and be assigned to sapi5 voices in the registry?

2016-07-23 19:04:56

At josh. In future, could you perhaps edit your posts, and condense them down in to 1 post? While we don't have a rule against double-posting anymore, you have about 6 or 7 posts in a row. Just a friendly suggestion.

2016-07-24 00:28:26

ok I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

2016-07-24 01:28:39

I do also support developers whenever possible; however I do not support Code Factory because even their demo doesn't work on my computer, so how can I pay the $70 or so and not even have what I paid for? I do think that NVDA users occasionally do pirate software--I'm thinking of the free Eloquence add-ons (definitely illegal; people even received letters from Nuance asking them to stop pirating it and the people refused to comply with that request) and the add-on for the Apple Alex voice (and yes, I do know that Alex doesn't work properly, but it does make some sounds, so it is indeed also pirated).

2016-07-24 01:30:20

Yes, Nuance is also responsible for the RealSpeak and Vocalizer voices, and they just announced a new series of Vocalizer voices.

2016-07-24 03:03:28

joshknnd1982 wrote:

also figment i cannot afford jaws, so i bought a really really cheap jaws key for maybe $5 or so from some foreign folks. and guess what? it gives me unlimited use on unlimited number of machines and I get 9 or 10 smas as opposed to the 2 or 3 freedom gives you when you pay their rediculous price of over $1000.

Congratulations! You are a thief and a criminal! Not being able to afford it isn't a valid reason to steal it. Instead of stealing JAWS, use NVDA.

I agree that it's unfortunate that Nuance doesn't actively maintain Eloquence, but that they don't doesn't give you or anybody else the right to steal their software.

Have you ever considered that the reason Eloquence seems to have bugs is because your copy of it is stolen? JAWS uses it and it works without any problems for me. The Code Factory version works equally as well too.

You might have better performance and fewer issues if you used legitimate copies instead of hacked and stolen ones. That's one disadvantage of pirated software, you don't really know what you are getting. Pirated software is the number one way viruses and other malware is distributed. Personally, I think, you are getting what you deserve, if you use it!

@Arqmeister

No, nobody has posted links but in that thread about Pure Basic I saw a while back, one member offered to give another member a copy of a pirated version of Pure Basic, and Dark ignored it. Plus there have been a number of people who have admitted that they use pirated software. Considering that there are software developers here, I'm surprised. The other software development forums I frequent don't tolerate any hints of using pirated software. You can discuss software piracy all you want, but as soon as you show any hint or indication that you participate in it, you are permanently banned.

I myself wouldn't even bother with audiogames.net except with as lax as they are about software piracy, I don't consider it a serious software development discussion group. This place is more like the Steam User's Forums, except they don't tolerate any mention of using pirated software.

I have said my two cents worth. Post anything you like, I won't see it because I will ignore this thread from now on.

2016-07-24 03:34:00

Figment, I know that you said that you will not be looking at this topic anymore, but in the off-chance that you do see this post, I think that I ought to clarify that Josh said that the lag and lack of inflection control was with the Code Factory Eloquence that he legitimately purchased; and that he does use NVDA (see other topics to which he has contributed in which he mentions this).

2016-07-24 03:52:22

First, @Josh: Arq is right, please condense those posts. Eight or so posts gets really time consuming. Second, the watermark doesn't seem to apply if using nvda. I've only seen it in speech properties. Even so, they kinda left it open, so no offense, but it is Baum's own fault that the flaw exists. I'm not trying to trash Baum, but since they didn't actually lock International Tts inside Cobra or Vergo, it is going to be easily used. Gene: Not everyone pirates with no shame. The hard rule against cracking applies especially to games, but that doesn't mean software piracy can just float around. Some time ago, a post was made asking for a crack to Adobe Audition, or a similar product. Guess what, post removed, warning given out. I respect the rights of most software developers. Note the word, most, and also note that there is not a long list of devs that I actually don't respect the rights of. All games developers have my full repsect, as do most software devs. Here's the scoop with Nuance. They do not, in my opinion, fall under the category of software developer, more so antitrust monopolizer. They have done nothing of their own creation, whatsoever. They merely modified the original realspeak voices, acquired 15+ companies in the last decade, which, by the way, they did not give the companies the right to refuse acquisition. That's not to say that they're the only corporation that does this, but it's been a repeating pattern. In fact, one of their major acquisitions of Royal Philips Electronics led them into antitrust investigation, but it doesn't look like that went very far. Long and short of it is that all they do is incorporate others' speech technology into their mass engine, with no originality. Until recently, they have left customers high and dry with screen-reader bound versions of their engines with strong drm, especially on the free screen readers. Therefore, I have no respect for them and want people to know that. That, however, is not my attitude towards other devs. There needs to be reasons for me to have this much hatred, and this is the only dev that I actually express this kind of feeling toward. Put simply, if the speech industry becomes a monopoly, we're screwed. The war isn't over until either Nuance's monopoly completes, or salvation comes in a random event that causes Nuance to go bankrupt.

2016-07-24 05:43:43

to figment, actually you are wrong. the legitimate copies of eloquence i bought they have bugs. the hacked coppies do not have bugs have more features and work great. as for jaws... freedom should have some sort of program for very very low income people to obtain jaws if they cannot afford it.

2016-07-24 06:07:47

yes... i use jaws maybe 20 percent of the time to OCR inaccessible pdfs as a backup screen reader if NVDA is not meeting my needs in a certain app, to use windows10 touch or universal apps, or if certain websites don't work with NVDA in windows10. I mostly use NVDA with cracked eloquence. if international tts did not have that watermark and let us use it within audio games and in any app we wanted i would not have asked mike to see if he could code his own version of it without the watermark. and the main reason i want a sapi bridge is so i can use sapi4 eloquence as a sapi5 voice a quickly loading and stable sapi5 voice and to have access to sapi4 control panel so i can further customise the voices.

2016-07-24 11:02:44

Freedom Scientific offers versions of JAWS at lower prices if you attend national conventions of the blind. Only problem is, people who only have limited income may not be able to afford the costs in transportation, accommodation and attendance at such conventions.