2016-07-14 20:32:47

I am planning to buy Eloquence for SAPI. I've heard there are two companies selling it, Code Factory and Computer Room Services. Can anyone who has purchased either of these tell me what kind of DRM they use. Everything else being equal, I'd go with the one that has the less onerous DRM in it.

2016-07-14 20:44:45

I believe they are selling the same thing, but Computer Room Services is just a reseller of Code Factory. As far as I know, the only difference is that Code Factory's eloquence does not include Japanese, Chinese and Korean; I believe they were removed for technical reasons. Though I believe their DRM is the same.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2016-07-14 21:20:36

For me, it doesn't matter if those languages aren't included because the only language I understand is English.

Do you know if their prices are the same or not?

2016-07-14 21:45:14

Since Computer Room Services is in the UK, I'm not sure what the price is in US dollars, but it's £54. Code Factory cells eloquence for $70, which may be what it converts to.

2016-07-14 22:59:46 (edited by Figment 2016-07-14 23:00:44)

54 pounds is about 72 dollars, so yeah.

2016-07-16 12:05:21

ATGuys (www.atguys.com) is also selling it. They are a Michigan-based company.

2016-07-16 16:25:25

Oh really? That's good to know! A T Guys is part of the Blind Bargains Audio podcast, one of several podcasts I never miss.

2016-07-16 18:49:34

Let me see. Let me just say something. XYZZY! Oh wait, that link didn't magically appear, and in fact, nothing happens.

2016-07-17 02:13:14

Wait what? I thought the only legal way to get Eloquence for NVDA *was* the sapi version. Now i'm confused.

2016-07-17 02:58:52

A T Guys was definitely selling the SAPI version at one point. I believe they are still selling it, though I do concede that I cannot see it specifically listed on their website. Perhaps you could call them and inquire, though it would be exactly the same version as sold by Computer Room Services and Code Factory Global.

2016-07-17 11:54:57 (edited by grryfindore 2016-07-17 11:56:11)

Ahoy there
@Figment its an eazy mistake to make. I don't know why but for all this time I thought ATGuys sold eloquence sapi5 version too, not just the NVDA addon.

Even though I love eloquence, and think it beats every other synth hands down, and could probably use it for many things as a sapi5 voice I don't think I'll be buying it from anywhere for now, the way the drm works.

I'm using windows on bootcamp so I'm not even sure if I can actually use the thing,but even if I could, my pc might crash it usually does where I can't do nothing but format the hole thing thereby losing an activation. If it happens for 3 times which I'm sure it will, there go the $70 down the drain.

Alas I don't have that kind of cash to be throwing each time or 3 times my pc suffers a crash.
grryf.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2016-07-17 12:15:14

The reason that I know A T Guys sells Eloquence SAPI5 version is because they recorded a demonstration of the product when it was released running one of Jim Kitchen's games. I am fairly sure that they said that they sell it.

2016-07-17 15:46:59

Grif is right about the drm. The drm is intrusive, to say the least. You get constant pressure by an online license check system which could make you lose speech should your internet go down. You are limited to 3 activations, and unless you deactivate one before switching computers, there goes one of them down the drain. Most importantly, keep in mind that while I don't have exact stats, the money you're spending to buy Eloquence, if you make this move, isn't just going to Code Factory, or any other distributer, but rather right inside the depths of the big, fat, monopolizing corporation called Nuance. Those are some things to think about. My advice would be to use sapi4 eloquence, and bridge it into your sapi5 using the Baum International Tts, which does not require Baum Vergo or Cobra to be installed. This is a bridge that lets you use any voice, whether that be sapi5 or 4, in your sapi enabled applications. So basically, yes you can go as far back as running infovox230/330 on sapi5, and yes you can run Eloquence this way. Plus, from what I hear, this version of Eloquence, the sapi4 one, is better quality. People have said the Code Factory one clips a bit, and for a while it was thought to be a trial limitation but it definitely wasn't.

2016-07-18 00:04:49

I saw instructions on how to use the Baum Eloquence on another topic on this site, but the instructions seemed a little confusing. If someone knows how to do this, could they please provide step-by-step instructions for accomplishing this?

2016-07-18 15:10:01

@Jack

To a point I agree with you about most of the money going to Nuance, whom I rather not support, but as a software author, if I am going to ask people to respect my intellectual property rights, it's only fair and proper that I respect those same rights of others.

2016-07-21 07:17:08

Ahoy there
Shrug, using a alternative version of eloquence doesn't make it a right violation of anyone, its just the user deciding that the alternative fits them better.

@jack, that sounds something that'd be quite useful specially with using eloquence as a sapi5 version. I haven't heard of it before though, so could you please provide some information on how to get the thing working or such?
thanks.

Follow me on twitter

2016-07-21 09:37:15 (edited by Socheat 2016-07-21 09:37:56)

Hmm, I would love to know as Grryf. Could you provide some instructions, Jack?

2016-07-21 15:39:43 (edited by Figment 2016-07-21 20:01:18)

@grryfindore

I hate to burst your bubble, but that is complete crap! Eloquence is copyrighted software owned by Nuance. Using it without buying a license is:

1. A violation of Nuance's intellectual property rights.
2. Software piracy.
3. Stealing.
4. Punishable by law.

It doesn't matter what you think of Nuance, I don't care for them either. But to steal from them and to encourage others to steal from them too is just plain wrong!

It's NVDA user's apparent lack of consideration for the rights of software developers and their willingness to steal from them is one of the reasons why I choose not to use it.

2016-07-21 18:28:54

if you get international tts from the grossgang site and then you install the free eloquence or viavoice sapi4 you can then use international tts as a bridge to make any sapi4 voice behave as if it was a sapi5 voice. the only issue is with all the games i tried makes the voice unuseable because it keeps saying when i pick international tts sapi5 it says over and over this voice is intended to be used with vergo or cobra only. baum please get rid of this stupid nag message.

2016-07-21 18:34:26

so using the old sapi4 version is illegal? and it is not stealing stealing is taking someone's property so they no longer have it. like if i steal a car i have the car the other person no longer has it. at worst it may be considered being dishonest but certainly not stealing. it really bothers me when people keep aquainting over and over pirating software which is non-physical to stealing. so lets say i walk into a bookstore and i find a recipe in a good book. rather than paying for the book because i just want one recipe out of it i quick snap a photo of it OCR and email it to myself. should i have paid for that recipe? the book? yes. at least i was dishonest but i did not steal the physical book. companies have to understand software is not hardware it is not physical. its just a recipe that makes the computer do something. yes a very complex recipe at times but none-the-less a recipe. i guess according to you guys i better not try and make my own cheeseburgers that taste like McDonalds burgers. because if i do and give them to my friends for free, you'll somehow get somebody to sue me for copyright infringement. right?

2016-07-21 18:36:25

so figment tell me how NVDA does not consider the rights of software developers?

2016-07-21 18:38:42

first as far as sapi4 eloquence goes you first install it and then install international tts. both from the grossgang website under sapi. then you use the configurator of international tts to set a voice then restart the computer and eloquence sapi4 shows up as sapi5 as international tts. but the issue is with most stuff it keeps bugging you saying this international tts voice is intended for use with vergo and cobra only. no what we really need is someone to update espeak and make a espeak klatt voice that sounds nearly exactly like eloquence.

2016-07-21 19:59:10

@joshknnd1982

It is stealing, how would you like to work at a job for two weeks, then have your boss tell you he's not going to pay you and that it's not stealing from you because he didn't take anything away from you? Since, according to you, you haven't lost anything, I'm sure you wouldn't mind at all.

Thanks for letting me know my message was vgue, I have fixed it. It's not the NVDA developers, it's NVDA users that think it's OK to steal Eloquence.

2016-07-21 23:41:14

gotta take out number 3 in your list. Your manufacturing a copy of something with hardware that belongs to you, using bandwidth you pay for. This copy is stored on media that you owned. It is all powered with electricity you pay for. It's not stealing.
By your logic, if I constructed a fully identical copy of the guy across the road from me's car, then I've stolen his car. What else did I steal today.  I've  just finished watching This. I didn't pay for it, it never existed on my computer yet I used a number of services I pay for to manufacture a copy.
Instead of taking a trip to burger king for a bacon double cheeseburger,, I manufactured my own. It's pretty damn close too but burger king never saw a penny.
When I use android, it's a cracked version of eloquence I use, I own the origenal licence, but I refuse flat out to use a product that needs to phone home to stay valid.
How long am I gonna go down for? I mean I hope it's not long, I've got a hungry lizard that turns into a right bastard when he doesn't get his locusts in a timely manner... Starts storming about like some dramatic woman from some reality TV show

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2016-07-22 07:34:26

Ahoy there
@Exodus, +1

Figment, It might be a copyright violation,true, and I usually wouldn't mind paying for software that's well done,was updated regularly and so on,but what we have here is a corperation that has just bought the rights to earn through the particular piece of software,doesn't update it in fact how long has it been sinse eloquence was last updated to fix the issues it had? I wouldn't have a clue as I probably wasn't even born at that point, or if I were I must have been a toddler tongue
I for one would highly encourage people to use whatever it is that provides them with the utility they need and even more so if x meats their needs better than y x being sapi4 eloquence and y being the sapi5 with the stupidest, most inconvenient form of drm I have ever seen.

Curious, Figment, I would suppose you don't use windows too? considering  Windows user's apparent lack of consideration for the rights of software developers and their willingness to steal from them?
Seriously, I don't really care what software you use or not,but that's one of the most .... I don't even have words to express it, arguments I've ever seen for using a particular software over the other.
lol

Follow me on twitter