2016-06-22 16:08:08

Hi all:

For those of you who have experience with this, I'm wondering how to use the Python interpreter from python.org.  I'm learning to code with Python, and am looking for a way to test some code offline.

I'm obviously a noob at this, so I'm sorry if my terminology of "interpreter" isn't correct.
tongue

I'm learning from Codecademy, which has been successful so far.  I can test online with the script editor built in to practice with the course, and I'm gleaning that if I just create a notepad document and rename the file extension to .py it'll be run by the interpreter.  Please let me know if I'm wrong.

I'm running 3.5.1 on Win10.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
big_smile

Luke

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2016-06-22 21:47:01

Hm, I think this post may belong in the developer section, heh.

Anyway, the default interpreter that comes with python called IDLE doesn't really play nice with screen readers unfortunately. There are other developers here who usually use either notepad or the command prompt for writing and running code. However, I did discover that the PythonWin interpreter seems to work with NVDA, although to view any text output you have to switch window views in it. Either way, you could give it a shot by installing Pywin32 64 bit version and see if it works for you.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2016-06-24 21:19:50

These are the basic instructions to run your Python script:
1. In Windows, type Windows plus R for the Run Dialogue.
2. In Windows, type "cmd" for the command line interface.
3. In most operating systems, if environment variables are properly set, you can type:
"python example.py"
Obviously, don't include the quotes in your commands, and replace example.py with your script name.
Hope this helps.

2016-06-28 20:54:40

@magurp244,

THe Pywin32 installer only works with Python 3.5.  Is there a version that supports 2.7?

Luke

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2016-06-28 22:55:33

The 64bit 2.7 version is here.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer