2016-06-07 21:11:32

Hi.

I'm currently at my lady's sister's in Pencilvania. The network here is fine, accept for one weerd thing. I can recieve emails but not send them, when I try I get something about "socket error port 25"

Any suggestions? I'm using a pop 3 smtp server with outlook express, and no, I'm not changing mail accounts, indeed that would sort of negate the purpose of me using email at all since the point is keeping in touch with all the people who have! my email account, I presume it's a port problem. I know it's not the firewall settings or similar, and I've used these accounts with various networks, it just seems to be this one. Whether it's because it's in America I don't know, though at least one of the accounts is administered by a friend of mine in the states anyway so theoretically it shouldn't be a problem.

Any assistance much appreciated.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-06-07 21:26:08

Some ISPs block all traffic on port 25, because it is the standard (unsecured) SMTP port, so spammers and their bots try to connect to vulnerable or misconfigured servers to send spam messages. Try ports 587 or 465. Your only other option is to use a VPN or proxy of some kind to bypass the blocks.

2016-06-08 06:13:35

Just be aware that for Outlook Express, you can't use a secure connection on port 587, so try 465. 587 would work if security is not required (SSL). In any case, consult the person who runs the mail server to find out which ports you should be using, or whether or not you need security.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-06-08 14:13:52

Thanks for the advice, port 587 did the trick. It'll be nice not to be stuck without email for two months which would've been quite a pest.

I was actually rather confused as to why it didn't work, since I did! get it to work in egypt and austria, as well as all around the Uk.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-06-08 18:17:39

Port 25 blocking is happening pretty much everywhere, at certain ISPs. The problem is that port 25 is always the public SMTP server port, so if left open, it can mean anonymous, unauthenticated spam from bots direct to mail servers. Hence, block the port and force people to use the "Submission" port, which typically requires authentication and/or security (but not always).

I understand it, but I'm not a fan, myself. I'd rather the port be blocked by default, but that the customer be able to unblock it in their own home gateway, or by quickly submitting a form to the ISP. JMO, but port 25 blocking is just what the ISPs need to force you to use their own email services, the cheeky bastards.

Just myself, as usual.