2018-05-05 00:37:29

Hi all,

Okay, so I know it's crazy, but I'm coming to this party kind of late. I've tried it before but didn't get too far.

I'm trying the card-battling minigame, and I have some observations/questions.
First, the observations. It feels like there is a lot of stuff going on that isn't precisely explained, and the language issue makes this worse. There are a lot of cards which, to me at least, seem kind of useless. I've mostly been sticking to damage and direct status effects, and mostly it's gone pretty well.
...except now I'm at the ground-type arena, and I'm a fire type, and even though I switch to grass, I tend to get thrashed anyway. The muddy golem, or whatever it's called, does this ground move which, even though it's being resisted, is doing like 40% of my health, and he often seems to get 2-3 of them. I can only imagine how hard it would be to remain a fire type under that onslaught.
So, now, my questions.
1. Can any of you recommend a good sort of deck to build? As in, types/specific cards I should be after? If I have to grind previous gyms in order to get the good cards, that's fine I suppose, though I'll note that I'm a fire type and there is no fire type gym as of yet.
2. If I chose to start as a fire type, is there any way at all I can change to something else without actually losing all of my cards? I'm kinda wishing I had better than Fire Punch for damage, and Overheat is just awful. It boosts fire moves, then burns me for two rounds, and the special attack boost is good for making Ember better, and that's just about it. I feel pretty underwhelmed, even though fire blazed through the grass, bug and steel-type gyms.
3. How many gyms are there in total?

I'm not too interested in the unlocking of worlds and the mini-games right at the moment, as I find a lot of them are just going to murder your keyboard. So far I have the beach, valley, castle and factory open, and that's about it.

Any advice in general would be appreciated. I don't want to cheat, btw, but I do want some advice from those of you who've bothered with the card battling, if possible.

Best example of synergy I've seen yet, btw, was extremely clever. A bug type changed me from fire to grass, then proceeded to hid me with some multi-hit attacks which took me from 70HP to 0 in two rounds flat. It was crazy.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2018-05-05 06:03:41

hi, there are many parry or blocking cards, or some reacting ones that when combined with the right strategy, can really help during battle... the game is after all, some luck and some strategy and that is what makes it interesting. That is why at the beginning you were asked to choose your offensive (fire) and your defensive types. So when something like ground or rock which is really effective against fire did attack you, you could switch and battle it that way instead. You can switch types provided you have a number of cards on your deck that are of a certain type, I think minimum is 10 or 15.
a good page suggested months before to see which type is stronger or neutral against which other one is found here:
https://pokemondb.net/type

And, depending on what you will be battling its better to have just attacking cards or mixing defensive ones ... for online its usually better to have cards that recover health, like honey treatment (from bug type) which will work regardless if you are a bug type or not, and lots of attacking cards so you can advance faster and hopefully is a smaller deck with more useful attacking cards, but again it boils down to strategy ETC.
oh yeah, there are I think 12 gyms in total . and there is the grand council one which mixes many types but you can unlock more cards faster using that one, or just doing online cooperative battles...

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-05-05 06:06:54

on a related note, can someone post what all of the commands are when you host a server? like control plus K for kicking or I think f5 or so for moderation of messages... these are not at all being even documented anywhere.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-05-05 06:14:14

@UltraLeetJ, OK as I remember-
f1 to toggle chat messages should be recieved or not
f2 to send a chat message
f4 to turn player's location onn or off
j to check the number of players connected
c to check the score of each player
control k to kick someone
p i think check mps or something I don't remember smile.
And these are all which I remember.

I am not someone who is ashamed of my past. I'm actually really proud. I know I made a lot of mistakes, but they, in turn, were my life lessons. Drew Barrymore
Follow me on Twitter, Discord and Instagram

2018-05-05 09:27:54

f1, toggle chat Messages on or off
Control f1, toggle modaration on or off
f2, right Message. From here you can press Control v to paste text into the Message Box, tab to get the text read back to you, and backspace to delete.
f4, toggle whether you want to hear the sound of the other players. If this setting is on, and you're in a minigame which you can move in, you'll hear a kind of weird bleeping sound for each step a player takes. This can be quite useful in competition mode, but it can be confusing if you have like 100000 players all over the Place. Haha If there's to many players, it's hard to consentrate on the sounds that you're actually supposed to consentrate on, and you might fall in a pit or get killed by an enemy, for example
Control k, brings up a menu of players on Your server. From there you can Select who to kick.
Control shift k, kicks the players that have not pressed enter
Enter, start game, and if the game is started, go to the next mini-game
Control plus any number, sort the players into teams. It's hard to explain how the sorting system Works, but you'll figure it out. For example, if you have 9 players Connected to Your server and you press Control 3, the game will put 3 players in team 1, 3 in team 2, and, yup, you guessed it, 3 in team 3.
I think that's all of them, not sure, though. I can't think of any more, at least. Oh Yeah! I was sure I had forgotten something!
Control enter, forces the game to start, even though another player is connecting to Your server at that moment.

2018-05-05 10:06:03

@Tristan04, Thanks for this. I didn't knew some like moderation and all smile. Aah so that is what player's location means when we press f4 smile.

I am not someone who is ashamed of my past. I'm actually really proud. I know I made a lot of mistakes, but they, in turn, were my life lessons. Drew Barrymore

2018-05-05 14:29:39

As it turned out, I answered a bit of my own questions. lol Apparently you can change your type just by changing your deck. This is good, because it means I'm not stuck being a fire type forever and ever. I'm currently going through each gym now in order to earn all the cards of that type. I had all kinds of fun wrecking the flying-type gym with a half-baked rock deck with Wind Surf (so basically every time they tried doing damage with wind they'd get smoked, it was awesome). Grinding the fighting gym took a little longer, since I used a flying deck and that was a bit harder to get used to. I'm not going strictly in order - I used the fighting deck I put together to crush the dark type gym for the first time, and am now going to tackle the ghost gym in a bit - but yeah. Dark type is looking like an almighty slog, a whole lot of status and weapons and blood cards and god knows what else. lol Maybe I'll just overpower the ghosts with rocks or something, I dunno.
I'm having fun with this even if I feel like some types aren't too well balanced. And paralysis, dear god, paralysis. It's everywhere, and I've lost several matches when I had no business losing purely because I would fail to act for literally 6-7 turns in a row.

In general, what sort of decks do you guys like to run? I'm a pokemon vet, so I understand how the type advantages work. Dark-ghost would be hard to beat, and water-ground, and water-dragon, and grass-electric, and poison-dark. And that's just scratching the surface. But some of you folks have actually done this, whereas I'm still learning. I'd love to be able to put together a competent deck that can at least have a fighting chance (no pun intended) against almost any other trainer...or is that not possible?

2018-05-05 14:46:23

@jade, wow! I am not able to get all cards of all dec till the poison one also till now! Anyways I just would like to ask like which type of strategies will be good for making decs? Does anyone has any advice on this?

2018-05-06 09:16:12 (edited by pulseman45 2018-05-06 09:24:58)

In general I like to combine psychic with other types that use magic attack pretty well (like ice, normal, fire or flying), not to mention the combination with bug, plant, ghost and flying are quite cool because of the nightmare cards. I also have a fairy/normal deck that relies almost exclusively on sound cards, that can really wreck stuff if one isn't prepared. The worst is, even though dragon type has good cards against that kind of deck, it can't do much if I stay with fairy type, unless one plays dragon/poison or dragon/steel.

2018-05-06 11:54:37

Okay, so I have some more questions and observations and whatnot. This might get a bit technical.

First, I'm utterly wrecking stuff with bug. I tend to ignore a lot of the weird stuff and just go for attacks. Bug actually hits freakishly hard, and if you pair it with fighting for Bulk Up and whatnot, it's nasty. Sure, it's got plenty of weaknesses, but in the gyms where it's got an advantage, it rips stuff apart. Can someone explain how Blood Meal works though? I'm going to be coming back to blood in a second. Also, can someone explain how the Combined Tackle thing works? You use a card, and then get a card, so you never run out but never seem to get more, and conceivably the max you can draw is four, so the Rampage skill will just use them up and you're screwed, correct? I tend to stick to that Concert of Bumblebee thing, or Pin Missile, or if a fight carries on, Giant Sting.

Dark...ho boy, this one is confusing me. So much stuff with blood, and sacrificing HP, and I just...don't get it. The only good thing it seems like you can do with blood in someone else's hand is that Open Sore thing, but what about blood in your own hand? What the heck is the point of Self-Mutilation, for either player? Totally confused. Also, dark seems to like snatching cards, but after all the cards I've earned, I'm still not sure what is the discard pile, what junking specifically means, what the discard pile is, and what the exile is. I've often found myself using a card for no apparent benefit even though I thought it was going to give me a card from my deck or recycle it from previous use. Are certain cards bugged? Sorry, I can't give specific examples...Determination, in the fighting type, maybe.

Psychic...okay, so how exactly does this phobia thing work? It looks like a ton of setup. Psychic looks extremely daunting - I'm currently using a bug deck to earn all the cards and am about 3/4 of the way there. Also, is there any point to Psychic Trauma when both you and your opponent take damage and then become afraid? Is there some way to manipulate that so that you are immune and your opponent is scared to death?

Grass...what's up with the Magical Flowers, and are they worth using? A lot of the stronger grass attacks tend to put you to sleep, so they might be worth combining with Insomnia or some such...but normally when I play grass, I just stick to damage and don't bother with anything except arrows and drains and Zenith, and sometimes the Elf card and Elfin Quiver.

If there's some sort of help system that can answer most of these, or a post which goes in depth already, please do let me know. I feel a bit like a novice here. Also, I don't know how to check my level for all active types on the fly; I can only apparently see the level in my main type, not my secondary. Does that reset to 0 if I switch, too?

That's about all, I think.

Oh wait, no, poison. What's with all the elixir stuff? Why would you deliberately want to poison yourself?

2018-05-06 13:55:42

@Jyde, OK I think the junk pile is when you junk a card like if you don't want it or something. The discard pile is when you use a card, after using the card goes to the discard pile.

2018-05-06 14:50:58 (edited by pulseman45 2018-05-06 18:06:58)

I believe the difference between the discard pile and exile is that cards in your exile can't be used again unless you use specific cards to bring them back. When you no longer have anything in your deck, you get another one from your discard pile, as that's where they most often are when you play them or junk them. If a card lands in your exile it's due to effect of specific cards, not because you played/junk a card.
When you play Combined Tackle, you get another Combined Tackle card, but you also get another card that you draw at the beginning of each turn, unless something prevents you from doing it. As the power of said card depends on how many identical cards you have in the discard pile, it does get more powerful each time you play it. The Combined Rampage card doesn't sacrifice your Combined Tackle cards in any way, but you did well asking the question as some other cards that directly depend on another card tend to sacrifice it, like Sap Stream or Grease Canon, on which I will come back, as your next question was about Self-Mutilation.
That card is useful for some very particular setups. You may know that plant type has a Sap card that give +1 in plant type attacks when it is in someone's hand, and it does cumulate depennding on how many Sap cards you have. Same for the Mechanical Grease card for steel type. Now, blood can be turned into sap or grease via the Sap Blood or Grease Blood card. After that your plant or steel attacks can be much more powerful than they would normally be, and you can use cards such as Piston Shot, Grease Canon or Sap stream, that will sacrifice the card they depend on (except for Piston Shot), but they will be quite powerful because they get two different power bonusses, one due to the normal effect of Sap/Mechanical Grease, the other because there power directly depend from the number of said cards in your hand.
There are also other things with self-mutilation, like Blue Blood for Fairy Type or that Coagulation Factor/Pus Surge combo for poison type. Self-Mutilation setups are cool I guess, but you don't get to use them that easily, at least in my experience. And they do expose you to card such as Blood Meal, as it's usefulness/power directly depends on how many blood cards are in the opponents hand.
Blood Meal can really turn the table in a battle. Not only do you recover all the health you absorb, but it can poison opponents to a level that's equivalent to the amount of Blood cards they have in their hand. If a card depends on another card and it says for example +1 or +2 in poison or curse, multiply that amount by the number of the other mentionned card. Same for the power of cards like Sap Stream or Grease Canon mentionned above.
There are other card that depend on the same thing as Blood Meal, such as Bloody Panic, that you can follow with Shock from Terror for quite scary damage.
Next, the Phobia cards react when the concerned type is used against an opponent that has the coresponding card in his hand. That gives him +1 in fear for 1 or 2 turns. But as you say, that's quite a bit of setup.
There are a few things you can do with Psychic Trauma, either you play a card such as Elixir of Courage when you are about to get +1 in fear, either you keep one or more panic cards in your hands and wait for them to take effect when the moment comes. For example, Normal type as Natural Panic, Dragon type has Reptilian Panic, etc...
Finally for Magical Flowers, there are once again cards that depends on how many you have in your hand, I know some people like to play with them but that's not necessarily worth it, especially if your opponent only use physical attacks.
Pfew, that was long, and I fear I'm not so clear on some points, but I hope it will at least help you for some things.
PS: I like combining fighting type with things that use a lot of physical moves for the same reasons you said, which are the same for which I combine Psychic type with things that use special moves.
Edit: With all of that, I forgot to tell about the Elixir of poison. The reason why you would poison yourself is to use Transfusion, which will poison your opponent twice as much and for a longer period, at least if we are comparing with Elixir of poison. Then you could also use Elixir Delivery followed by Elixir Explosion, never tried that combo personally though.

2018-05-06 20:27:15

See, I absolutely love that there is combo play for a lot of this stuff. Some of it seems a little incomplete, but a lot of it is very, very clever.

I just played a fight where I got to use the combined tackle+combined rampage setup. And oh man does that ever get mean. Blood Meal seems situational, but seems a great way to steal food when you know an enemy is powering up. The Ritual Sacrifice/Self-Mutilation thing makes it seem like dark+poison, dark+fairy are good combos to use. Or even dark+steel. I've yet to mess around with grease or sap yet, they seemed like too much setup, but I suspect a deck that was designed specifically around those mechanics could be insanely powerful (rather than a deck which contains them incidentally, I mean).

I now understand a great phobia strat, considering how vicious Hypnosis is. Get them into two or three levels of sleep if possible, then give them nightmares and hit them with your chosen card. I could see a grass+psychic flower deck being particularly vicious, or even a special ghost-psychic-ground deck with Energetic Mining and Song of the Dune to help out. I'll have to play some more.

Thanks for explaining about poison. The type feels pretty underwhelming at the moment, but I'll have to try that combo you mentioned.

Are there any other particularly effective card combos you've found that don't require, like, insane luck or twenty-seven turns of setup? lol I like stuff where battle doesn't drag on insanely, or when even though it does, you're apt to stay alive long enough to rip things apart once everything is laid down. I feel like steel is going to be great for this.

I now have all grass, bug, psychic, dark, fighting, ground and flying cards unlocked, and have about half of a bunch of others.

Honestly, I'm way more interested in these card battles than I will ever be with the mini-games. Oh, some of the games are clever, don't get me wrong, but it just feels a little random and pointless. You unlock hardcore mode, which just...well, makes everything harder.

Do you get anything for beating the council? I got to the fifth fight (don't know how random they are, btw) and died horribly. My fourth foe was the woolly mammoth, and even though I was using a simple grass deck I still managed to sneak out a win. The fifth was the phoenix though, which was fire-flying, and grass just doesn't have much chance against that.

2018-05-06 23:42:49 (edited by pulseman45 2018-05-07 00:27:20)

I'm not sure I'm very good at making decks that are designed to play well for battles when you start with 30 hp for example, though they are certainly some rock and bug cards to help in that regard. Sometimes I stay alive long enough to play like several buff cards from psychic type and use concert of bumblebee for big damage, but if you want things to be quick you may also count on rock, steel or even fighting. I actually have a fighting/rock deck that doesn't necessarily take that much time to take big chunks of health to the opponent, but I guess one can do better.
As for combos, I think I told all the ones I knew, I didn't play much with environments and talents but there are certainly interesting things to do, such as aeromancer+sandstorm, or red dragon+oppressive heat.
Also, the Grand Council allows you to earn 10 cards from any type when beaten, and if you have 110 or 130 coins you get a gem. And yes, it is totally random.

2018-05-07 06:19:40

Well, I've just beaten the council for the first time. God that was hard.

I have a couple of new decks to talk about.

First, a dark-bug deck. The only thing this deck is designed to do is make the foe bleed and then punish them royally for it. I chucked in a couple of Sleep Powders for good measure, and this thing may not be optimal, but it's what I used to beat the council. Bloody Scratch is guaranteed bleed, and then Bite, Poison Sting, Crunch, Feint Attack, Fury Cutter, Combined Tackle, Combined Rampage, Giant Sting and Fury Cutter will all trigger more blood. I have a couple of Terror cards in there, the Dark Night environment if I get lucky enough, plus Bloody Panic of course. Also have Self-Mutilation and Blood Resonance if the fight drags on awhile, plus a couple of Bloody Meals and Enlarge Sore, or whatever it's called. It can die - the 30HP fights are especially tough, actually, and I've had some atrocious luck - but the more overall HP a foe has, the better chance I have of getting the strat running. I also have Midnight Ring in there as an incidental, as well as Insomnia (nothing like being shut down by sleep). The deck isn't perfect, but as I say, once it gets going, it's hard to stop.

I have a fairy-dark deck as well, but this one needs work. I've tried all the sound stuff, and I have a sneaking suspicion some other type will give much, much better synergy without getting walled.

I also have a relatively pure poison deck, which I augmented with ground moves whilst trying to take out all the fairy types (one of them turns into a steel type, which walls poison hard). I love poisoning people, then hammering them with Toxic Shock or whatever it's called. And I've done some tricky stuff after giving them tons of elixirs and then making 'em explode...though I have a feeling the Elixir Explosion thing only works on one at a time. I'm trying to think on what'd make for the best synergy with a poison deck overall. Also, what's the point of the powder explosion thing? Don't you have to know (or guess) how much powder a foe is holding and then use the card, or is there some way to force all your powder cards into your foe's hand before blowing everything to hell? Heh.

No one seems to talk about electric much. It doesn't seem to have any real synergy to speak of. Just paralyze, power up and zap. The next one I want to give a really solid try to is steel.

2018-05-07 08:34:55

Ahaha, I have the bug dark deck too, and I made the explosive one with poison and fire. The bloody one I think is actually too slow for ai battle, but I think it could work well on long online battles. To win ai battle fast I use my flying and kick deck, I can almost always play through the council loosing only one encounter.

2018-05-07 08:50:59 (edited by pulseman45 2018-05-07 08:52:16)

@Jayde: Wow, that Dark/Bug deck you have is possibly better than mine, it was the first double type deck I made back in the beta48 era, and I modified it a bit after that. Though it does have some interesting stuff like Sticky Web to alter the opponent's success stat, but it feels like it doesn't have as much impact as in previous versions.
Since you are speaking of electric, that reminds me of a psychic/electric deck I also made in that era with another cool combo I forgot to mention, being Telekinesis+Electric Lock.
There are also things with ghost type, like Blasting Power+Demonic Drawing, but it is as dangerous for you as it is for the opponent. The interesting thing is to combine cards such as Demonic Drawing or Common Past with Punishment, but that's still risky.
Well, that Fairy/Normal deck I have isn't easily walled, as it does have a few non-sound cards, with mutual normalization being one of them, so it does have a chance even against steel type. I also have a Fairy/Ghost one that relies on Spectral Dimention and Lugubriou Tingling.

2018-05-07 15:29:36

The thing about my dark bug deck is that it doesn't waste time with success or stat drops. Almost everything it has will do damage of either dark or bug type, or will help me do it (dark night, sadistic, midnight ring, bulk-up, etc). I've got Royale Jelly and Honey Treatment in there so I don't get poisoned and can heal, plus some Elixir of Energy just for more cheap healing if I'm a wee bit fortunate. I also have Ejection of Pollen for a situational setup; my bug moves are weaker than my dark moves, but if I can make you a grass type and then pin-missile you, it's usually GG. I am actually thinking about removing Self-Mutilation and Blood Resonance from the strat though, since while it can do some insane damage, it also causes me to lose a lot of HP. That would give me room either for more bug/dark damage attacks, or more status, or god knows what. Pretty much all the attacks in the deck are physical, so I could probably put a few fighting cards in there and give myself tri-typing if I wanted over the Resonance strat.

A ghost deck is one I haven't tried out, but I'm considering toying around with it when I get home from classes this evening. I especially like Spectral Dimension, and suspect that the most effective ghost deck might actually involve more damage than tricks, but I'm not sure.

Will have to give your fairy-sound idea a try at some point, too. And poison-fire, eh? Ooh, that sounds like fun. Fire is another one I've yet to really get into...though Stir Up has enormous, enormous potential after you set someone on fire.

2018-05-07 16:44:20 (edited by pulseman45 2018-05-07 17:56:05)

Poison/Fire sounds nice indeed. Also I never really tried Blood Resonance because of the damage you take when doing it, but I guess I might try, as I do have decks with Explosion of Plasma or Giga Impact after all.
Also, since you mentionned Powder Explosion, you can try to relie on the Toxic Spore card and use Powdder Explosion after a while.

2018-05-07 21:00:33

Ah yes, okay. Powder Explosion would work extremely well there. Requires me to take a lot of damage, but then, I can also use it to generate powders, turn them into elixirs and either quaff 'em, deliver 'em and blow 'em up, or, here's a better idea! Have a secondary water type and make them into elixir of energy for insane healing. Would probably take some luck and setup, but it sounds pretty legit.

I also think I have a neat idea for a fire deck, but haven't the time to test right now. Basically a gunpowder setup followed by a ton of burning. Or, failing that, an overheat+oppressive heat damage setup behind it, maybe with secondary psychic typing. Heck, could even go secondary water typing for protection against too much burning, and Boiling.

After a cursory try, I'm not really too impressed with ghost. Doesn't seem to do enough reliable damage, and Curse is just...too chancy to risk, IMHO. That, or there's some ungodly strategy I'm not yet figuring out. lol

2018-05-07 22:49:10 (edited by pulseman45 2018-05-07 22:49:40)

I have a poison/dark deck in which I can blow up powders and elixirs, but it is a bit to situational if my opponent doesn't use physical attacks. I guess poison/water would workk in some situation but then, Elixir of Energy doesn't heal that much by itself.

2018-05-08 09:41:40

Yesterday I tested also a deck dark grass with the blood sap and sap stream strategy. I have also blood resonance in there and things to recover health like nourishing roots, honey treatement and elixir of energy, but I don't know if is worth keeping it. I mean, having a second strategy available is great, but sap stream and sap cards in general can help you do a lot of damage! At list against the council. I also don't quite understand how blood resonance works, I know that it follows the cards in your hand and in the target's hand, but I don't know if is better to give more bleeding cards to the target, or the same number of bleeding cards to both.

2018-05-08 14:14:53

From what I can see, Blood Resonance adds the two together (your blood cards, the foe's blood cards) and then works off of that. Problem is, it does huge damage to the foe and decent damage to you. Frankly I can get ruinous damage with Enlarge Sore, Bloody Meal (with injection of pollen thrown in for good measure), or a slow build culminating in Bloody Panic plus the terror thing. Just did a council fight earlier where my winning hit was something like a 144-damage bloody panic, because I'd used two Enlarge Sores first and then did enormous damage for a finish.

Decks I want to try:

1. A grease deck
2. A flower deck
3. a mirror deck (this one looks really hard)
4. a railway/train/physical steel deck
5. some sort of effective dragon deck

I've unlocked nearly everything now.

2018-05-08 14:25:47 (edited by pulseman45 2018-05-08 14:26:09)

I have a railway/grease deck somewhere, it's fine I guess but I would prefer using it in battles starting with as much health as possible because being able to really exploit the railway takes time.

2018-05-08 17:20:39

My idea of a railway/grease deck would use Piston Shot, primarily, plus the railway stuff, in longer fights. Really, I suppose you only need one or the other in a long match; get it set up and then pound with it. My preliminary crack at this deck - which I've yet to really try out, btw - has a whole lot of lower-level steel cards as well, plus four magnets. It also has Swordfighter+Weapon Taking, the healing cards I know and love, and that's...pretty much it. Might have a couple of really weak fighting moves just for fun. Gonna go test it out right now, see how it does.