2016-05-22 20:28:12

Hi all.  I recently lost my apple music subscription and now i have a problem.  Apple took everything, including music I got from other sources.  No one get apple music.  I will not give apple another nickel until they give back my personal music files

Add me on Skype, search for The Evil Chocolate Cookie

2016-05-22 22:28:34 (edited by Chris 2016-05-22 22:29:40)

Hello,

I believe that is an issue with iTunes. I've heard that it deletes personal music files. Apple should have fixed this. I don't know this for certain, since I do not use iTunes as my primary player. You will have to get your music again from other sources I suppose. Oh, and stop using that bloated program called iTunes unless you like it. I like VLC for my media player.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2016-05-22 23:13:55

Ah! So that is probably what happened.

Even though I didn't really want to use it, my iPod touch gave me no options, it was either iTunes or nothing. I eventually got fed up with iTunes and abandoned the iPod in favor of a Victer Reader Stream. One of the best decisions I've ever made.

Some time after I'd happily removed everything Apple from my computer, I wanted to listen to some music I knew I had but could not find the tracks in my library. They were just gone.

To get them back, I eventually bought them again to restore them, but always wondered what happened to the originals, and what else is missing from my library that I haven't yet discovered. Now I guess I know.

Yet another excellent reason to give Apple the finger and not use iTunes. Up yours Apple!

2016-05-23 01:36:31

But Apple Music is so... soo... perfect!

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.

2016-05-23 03:32:56

It may be, on the mac side, and on ios devices. But Apple has been well known to not support windows as much, so that is what some users are stuck with.

2016-05-23 22:38:37

Hi all.
Hmmm to be honest, I'd think you would backup it all up.
WHat clearly is coming out of this is that if you clear your subscriptions with apple that it clears the folder with everything in it.
The only way I can see out of this is to always keep a backup.
That may include having your library of music in other places.
Yes I do have a library of other music round my drives, no, I won't be going apple music I will just go the traditional download rout from the store, saying that, I can probably get better quality outside the itunes store<sigh>
Its not accessible anymore but I was able to buy over 100 dollars worth of jazz from google play with their semi non accessible music manager in total 320kbps mp3 which was good enough for my needs and back it up.
The other thing I would do if I could would be to rout your music library for itunes somewhere else, in fact your itunes library is usually in \music\itunes media anyway.
I wouldn't store everything all the time there either.
It shows that if you have other music to keep it somewhere else.
It shouldn't effect other sources and even if it did, at least for amazon, google play, bandcamp, etc you can download that music again even cd baby has this, its in your online library usually to.
Sadly apple hasn't thought about pc users as much as say apple users.
I don't use itunes myself but it is the only way to do transfers for your apple device.
It hoggs resources and includes a lot of software extras.
I brought something on itunes itself, and to be honest it cost as much as well buying it on disk and since things got dammaged and things mangled I am getting it all again normally.
Its clear though that if you want to use itunes, use your apple device for all that.
There were ways to put to your ipod and some special drives etc which I have not investigated as such but they do cost, so library wise there may be some if costly ways to get round itunes for say transfering music and such.
Ofcause there are advantages to buying apps, software updates, etc on your pc.
I also can backup my library from pc which is better than bothering with trying to do that to my cloud drive on my apple device though I could do that to.

2016-05-24 01:22:30

I did have a backup of my music library, but it was a backup made by a backup program rather than simply a copy of my music folder. So once the tracks were removed, they disappeared from the backups too.

I now keep manual copies of certain folders as a separate backup to avoid any similar problems.

Still, the only content the iTunes program should ever delete are those governed by a subscription when the subscription expires. It should never delete anything else unless you tell it to, regardless of where you bought the content.

After hearing that Apple was abandoning QuickTime for Windows, I wondered how long it would take them to abandon iTunes for Windows as well, but then realized, they never will, because I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of iTunes users are also Windows users.

Ah well, one can always hope.

2016-05-24 11:19:07

Any backup that depends on the original files still being there isn't really a backup. The whole point of a backup is to be able to restore files in case something happens to them. Just sayin'

2016-05-24 14:53:55

Hi.
Argh people, seriously? If you wanna keep your music save, back it up to an external hard drive and never use it with iTunes! gosh, is this so hard to understand for you? You all by now should know that you can't actualy trust the program with your personal music files.
For those who still do that, well, I am sorry, but if you wanna keep the risc, I can't help you.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2016-05-24 15:27:51

I do even better than that. I back everything important up to an external drive. That drive, along with others in my system, is backed up to CrashPlan online backup. Every few weeks or so, I update a second external drive from the primary one. That second external drive then gets completely disconnected so absolutely nothing can happen to it from a software perspective. And on top of all that, just in case my house burns down or someone steals all my stuff, I have another external drive, not connected to anything whatsoever, in an off-site location, and that drive gets exchanged for an up-to-date version two or three times a year.

2016-05-24 15:39:30 (edited by Figment 2016-05-24 15:43:16)

@Jaybird

You would be right except that to do that you'd have to keep every backup you make. Most people can't afford to keep buying backup media to store all those backups on. My backup system has a two month windows where I only have the last two months of backups. If I don't notice a file within that time, the backup that contains it will eventually be deleted to make room for newer backups. Do you really keep every backup you've ever made?

Your new message explaining your backup system still shows your backups are subject to having a window, if you don't catch a missing file within the window, it'll be gone with no possible recovery from your backups.

@Simba

If iTunes worked properly, it wouldn't delete media files behind the user's back, so no manual backup should be needed. Are you so perfect that you've never lost a file ever?

2016-05-24 20:11:20

Hi.
It's not that I lost files, I did lose some files some time ago, but I had those backed up already. If you are always looking out for your files and keeping them on an external harddrive, stick, server or what so ever, you should be good to go in the most cases, you can't trust a software with managing your files and keeping them save.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2016-05-26 13:18:47

iTunes manages my media just fine, and I trust it. On the other hand, I make regular, hourly backups both online and offline, and don't have an Apple Music subscription. I'm on OS X.

iTunes doesn't delete files unless you ask it to, or at least that's how it's supposed to work. Before you go ape, check to make sure you've actually lost your files, rather than corrupted the database. Look inside your media folder.

And keep regular backups, dammit. Software--any software--has bugs.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-05-26 13:47:17

People are saying, "don't use iTunes, don't use iTunes, don't use iTunes!" I use Winamp as my media player, but how else am I going to put music on my iPad and phone? I'm forced to use iTunes.

2016-05-26 17:34:04 (edited by Figment 2016-05-30 23:59:00)

@Sebby

If you do hourly backups, one wonders where you find the time to get anything done.

@Ross

Yeah, Apple doesn't give you any choice, they want to control you by keeping you in their walled garden. Do what I did, I abandoned Apple's iPod garden for a Victor Reader Stream and can now use any kind of media manager I want, because all it take to put your music and other media files is a file manager like Windows Explorer or Apple's Finder, if they are still using that.

2016-05-26 18:08:53

@Figment:

Curiously, I am able to get things done even when backups are in progress. It helps that they happen automatically, day and night.

I use Time Machine, included with OS X, and Arq.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-05-26 22:58:33

Lol. Walled garden. Just get some other music app that downloads from sound cloud or some other place and enjoy it. Or, use dropbox, or even iCloud drive. Or just use that thing that looks like an old 1990’s cell phone. You think Apple is a walled garden? Lol. Then it’s a beautiful garden, full of roses, with a looming tower beyond it. Aye, so it is.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2016-05-27 05:37:26

@Sebby

You must be pretty paranoid to want that kind of backup. Don't forget to take your Anxiety medications!

@devinprater

Enjoy your delusional fantasy. Just remember that beauty is only skin deep.

2016-05-27 05:48:22

And you enjoy your harsh life within a wilderness of cacti and bushes to cultivate. smile

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2016-05-27 14:23:52

@Figment:

Belt and suspenders. It never hurts. Ever since the great data loss disaster of 2006 (see, I even have a name for it) which, indeed, was pretty awful, and at which time I learned that anxiety meds really don't help all that much. You learns your lessons. Arq is available for Windows too, and Time Machine is backing up to two adjacent external disks. Before I move back to Windows I'll make arrangements for my entire NAS to do the backups so the clients don't have to.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-05-27 21:00:36

I don't know what you are talking about, orther than Windows 10 not being able to run on my laptop, I have no real issues or problems here. While not being paradise, it's certainly not the hellish landscape you describe.