2016-05-22 17:18:13

Hello all,

I just put in my order for the 2015 model MacBook Pro.

I souped up the processor to the 2.8GHZ quadcore Intel Core I7 processor, alongside 16GB of SDRAM and a 512GB SSD.

My goal is to eventually put Windows on it, but I had a few inquiries.

Regarding Bootcamp VS. VMware Fusion, I'm curious about processor resources needed to run either or.  Is Bootcamp heavier on the CPU than VMware, or vice versa?  If I plan to run more intensive programs on the Windows side of my computer through VMware will I encounter lag?  I'm planning to run a basic setup through Windows, like Jaws, OpenBook, things of that nature, and also Sonar with CakeTalking.  I imagine running OSX will not render any problem if it's running alongside Windows in VMware, but I wanted to know if anyone has any thoughts on this.

Now, regarding peripherals, I took a look at Apple's superdrive, and am wondering if there is a better, and, um, cheaper alternative solution.  I suppose at the end of the day I don't need the ability to use a disc reader, but it would be nice to install everything I own through the original discs.  The Superdrive is retailed at $80, and I'm fairly certain there are other drives that can do the same thing, so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Luke

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2016-05-24 00:38:25

Luke, if you plan to run a basic setup, vmware fusion should do just fine. That can even run games, and as far as running graphic-intense games, well, an 8gb ram mac can do it, your 16gb ram one can definitely handle then. As for drives, there is most definitely a cheaper solution, the lg electronics 8x ultra-slim usb cd/dvd drive. And yes, it does use a standard usb client-to-host cable, so no proprietary cables whatsoever. The Apple Superdrive, on the other hand, has a nonremovable cable, so it is much harder to replace a damaged cable.
http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-Po … 2112011_10

2016-05-26 14:07:26

MBP15 2015 supports Win8 at the earliest in BootCamp (i.e. natively), at least on an official basis. To run anything else, it's Fusion.

But as Jack said, it looks like you're in a good place to do that. So that's cool.

Just myself, as usual.