2016-05-21 10:11:28

Hi guys, I recently bought the Olympus dm7 didgital voice recorder because I was told they were the best recorders for the blind.  The actual recording quality is great, but it didn't actually come with any audible or online instructions, only a printed book and a cd of optional software, which is pretty disgraceful considering Olympus have released a lot of their ds and dm recorders with speech and daisy support.  I finally got them to send me an online pdf document of the instructions, but when I opened it I found it full of graphics which are conflicting with my jaws.  Does anyone here use the Olympus recorders?

out of my mind, back in 5 minutes.

2016-05-23 14:18:21

Hi Lori, I do use olympus recorders, I owned a dm4 and now a dm720, and they are the best recorders you can get because of one key, and admittedly half assed feature, voice guidance. When you turn the recorder for the first time, you should be able to mash the okay button for a bit and get voice guidance turned on by default. This will allow you to use the menus and hear what you're doing. However, it seems that not everything is read, as voice guidance seems to only use prerecorded speech to read prompts, not any kind of dynamically produced info like system or memory info. You can find PDF manuals of all olympus products online, and if you page passed the first part that explains what button does what, you should be able to leave the bulk of the graphics behind.

2016-05-30 16:44:42

Ok thanks, I'll try that, but I'm having a weird issue with my dm7 recorder.  When I turn it on and go to select recorder and hit the ok button, it says music, and so I hit the down arrow back to recorder and hit the ok button, but it seems to bounce back to music again.  Am I missing something?  One thing I love about the dm7 is it has more buttons like the scene select and file erace, so it saves me going into menus to do it if I need to access the functions quickly if I'm out.

out of my mind, back in 5 minutes.

2016-05-31 17:34:10

The olympus recorders have an odd folder system which I don't quite understand... but if you're pressing ok, the button in the center of your navigation buttons, that should be where you want to go. I wish they'd improve the voice guidance some, but until they do, I have yet to find another recorder that has the same match of high recording quality and accessibility, limitted as it is, as my olympus ls14.

Discord: clemchowder633

2016-07-02 15:38:44

Hi guys! How about importing daisy books in the olympus dm7? And where to find daisy books? I.ve tryed importing books but they seems not working propperly; not at all! Bye for now!v Thanks!

Claudio

2016-07-02 16:54:15

If the DAISY books you are trying to import are in text format, requiring a text to speech reader, they won't work in your Olympus because it is designed to play audio files of what you've recorded with it.

If the DAISY book is an audio recording, then it needs to be in an audio format that your Olympus supports.

2016-07-02 17:46:39

Hi! I have books recorded in mp3 format that the DM 7 seems to play correctly! But using sonority, attempting to import hte book in it, it tells me there is an error in the html file it tryes to load! And this appens for every book I try to import! But the book is correctly formatted for being a Daisy book! Loading just the folder in the daisy folder of the recorder doesn't work! How to solve the problem? I've already the latest sonority version and the latest DM 7 firmware. Bye for now!

Claudio

2016-07-02 20:15:48

I don't own an Olympus so the best advise I can offer is to just use the MP3s and skip the HTML.

2016-07-03 15:40:10

Hi guys! I've just solved the problem! It's just about recreating the book using the mp3 files and transforming it in a Daisy book using a software DAISY consortium has on its site! Now you'll listen only the mp3s, I think, but you can use also this function in the Olympus DM7! Thanks for your help! Bye for now

Claudio