2016-05-20 18:21:50

Hello guys.
I'm trying to create a mac VM because I don't have the money to get a mac, but I want to use a program that's only on a mac. Is there an accessible way to do this?
Thanks.

2016-05-20 20:22:33

You need vmware workstation and the Mac Guest unlocker, as well as a mac os 10 installer.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2016-05-20 20:46:14

How could I obtain the unlocker?

2016-05-20 21:28:54

I hate to nip this in the bud so soon, but ...

Sooner or later, you will need a Mac. Notwithstanding the obvious benefits of using Mac hardware, the only way you're going to get official media and comply with Apple's license is to have the Mac, which kinda negates the whole Mac VM idea. Indeed, I run my Mac VMs on Mac hardware, sometimes under Windows, but never on non-Apple hardware even if I could. This scenario, incidentally, also requires the VMWare unlocker.

So, if you wish to proceed with this, you'll be on thin ice. I'd suggest you at least get a Mac-using friend to help you build the Mac install image.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-05-20 22:33:15

Sebbu's right. It's technically to have a mac vm, unless it's on mac hardware, and even then, unless you have a lot of ram and a fast processor, it's going to lag to hell. You won't be able to use the trackpad commander, the app store, facetime, or any other apple services, therefore, it's kind of pointless, unless you want to learn the look and feel of the mac before you buy one.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2016-05-21 01:05:55

Thanksfor your advice both of you. All I wanted to use it for is garage band, and occasional use for text messaging through my iPhone because a touch screen is not to my taste. Other than those things, I'm all for windows and would only want to know the Mac for situations in which I would need to help someone with it.

2016-05-21 04:57:09

Well, if you want Garage Band, that probably doesn't come with a mac vm. It's a free download now, but it's still in the app store. You'll need a licensed mac for that. There's always the mac mini you can get, that's the cheepest mac they're is. If you are all for laptops like me, you'd want to get the macbook pro, but hey, the lmost you could do is just bootcamp the mac mini and run windows, because thanks to intel, a mac is just a serialized pc. And, as long as you get good ram and good cpu, it's a better windows box than other windows machines you'll find.

2016-05-21 12:44:38

yeah, I think I might get the Mac Mini for Mac stuff and use it a little bit but keep this Laptop around for all the other stuff that I can achieve easier on Windows. Sorry guys, but my first choice will always be Windows.

2016-05-21 14:51:59

Well, why bother with Mac at all, then? I mean, you can already do everything you need on Windows, or is that not the case?

I guess it sucks that Apple won't allow running OS X on non-Apple hardware, but I also can't really imagine needing OS X for anything but using Mac hardware either. It's my primary OS only because I really do prefer it to WinBloze(TM).

Just myself, as usual.

2016-05-21 17:22:16

well, how many accessible music-making programs are out there for Windows? Isn't Garage Band the leader as far as that is concerned?

2016-05-21 17:46:08

Well, we have Reaper for windows that could potentially be made accessible by the devs. We also have gold wave, although that's strictly production. As far as synths, yes, Garageband is the leader. The synth has features beyond the scope of regular midi, and is a very responsive one at that. If you are that inclined to get it, there is also Protools for windows, but unless you have a good cpu and enough ram, it's gonna hog your entire system. Just to put this into perspective, my macbook pro 2015, with a 2.7/3.2ghz intel core i5, and 8gb ram, running windows xp alongside it, takes roughly 15 seconds just to load up Protools first alone.

2016-05-21 18:05:08

I have a quad core with 9 logical processors, a 2.5 GHZ with 12.0 GB and 13.0 virtual memory. How's that?

2016-05-21 18:27:48

You're good. That should run a mac vm with little or no lag if you alicate at least 10 gigs of your ram to it. ProTools for windows, as far as I'm aware, isn't very accessible, while the mac version is completely accessible, that is, until you start loading third party plug ins. Logic pro x is the exact same as GarageBand, when it comes to the UI, so they're one in the same, as far as accessibility, but Logic gives you more loops, more virtual instruments, reverbs, and the alcamy virtual analog synth  technology.