2016-05-18 07:29:39

Ahoy all
That's quite a lengthy subject, I know :d
I'm looking to replace the laptop I'm currently using(lenovo z500) with either another windows machine or a mac where I can run windows either via duel boot,or vmware or whatever it is that mac users use to have windows on their macs.
My budget is quite low,though I can extend it if a machine that's good and slightly above the price I'm willing to go at. About $800 or so,maybe 900, that's about 50k 55 60k INR

I'm looking for whatever lasts me the longest, doesn't behave as badly as this lenovo z500, allows me to brows and play games without freezing or programs crashing with not responding dialogues.
I5,or I7 processers would be nice although I guess only Asus I7 machines would meet my budget the ones with free doss on them,but if you can think of any,it'd be welcome just the same, 6 to 8 gb of ram,1tb hdd. is all I'm looking for. graphics card would be nice,but it don't matter either way.

If macs,which would in the end be the cheaper but yet provide me with enough horsepower to run windows alongside for when I need it,without lagging or issues.

I bought this Lenovo z500 about 2 years ago,and even though its a I5 M processer,6gb ram with 1tb hdd, it slows down a lot. Even with jaws, skype,Thecube and a few other applications running, it most often will show signs of strain,either by heating up or lagging slightly in places. Quite disappointing it not even lasting for 2 years considering the price I bought it for.
I've done a clean install that is completely formated it a few times,installed windows, even had a guy over to open it up and clean its inside bits,but it behaves the same.

So I'm just thinking of repairing its screen issue which is quite strange, I.E the screen displays just fine when windows booting,but as soon as the welcome screen shows up, the screen turns blank but I digress.
Where was I again? ahh yeah repair the screen issue and selling this off and buying a new laptop to take notes on, and brows and stuff like that,which works well.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2016-05-18 13:25:14 (edited by defender 2016-05-18 13:40:43)

You sure you need 1TB storage?  I found a good model of Mac, the "MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012" but your going to have to find it lightly used or quality refurbished anyway, so if you feel like you can knock that extra 50 bucks off and get a 500GB instead, it'll certainly help, and the same goes for RAM, if you feel like you can upgrade it your self at home, since it's apparently not very hard especially with this model, and there are lots of guides, so you could just get 4GB and upgrade later if you need it, hell you might not even need to, especially on the Mac side.

I found a really good list of things you can do to take the price down, as well, it also includes the best places to buy high quality used macs, and the stores that it suggests are ones I've heard about before on other reputable sites, so it seems pretty legit.

Here's the article
http://www.wikihow.com/Buy-a-Mac-Computer-at-a-Discount

I'll check out some Windows only computers too, I already had a list going anyway for basically what your asking for, since between 750 and 950 dollars is the sweet spot for price VS features in 13.3 to 15.6 inch notebooks.

2016-05-18 14:45:45 (edited by Figment 2016-05-18 14:48:58)

Definitely Windows, you'll have a lot more options for hardware and software that way. Plus you'll more than likely be able to buy new and still stay in budget. Not so easy to do if you decide to go Macintosh, Apple charges way too much for their stuff.

2016-05-18 16:59:21

It all depends on what you want to give yourself.
Things about mac that I love:
• systemwide spelling and grammar checker
• system wide dictionary
• Voiceover is updated and integrated into the system
• Free Pages—like Word—Garageband, and other pro apps from Apple
• Get VmWare and you can run all the Windows you want, see free XP talking VM.
• All the voices. For those that love synthesizers … more than the rest of us, there are both synthetic and natural voices to drool over.
• With both Mac and Windows at your disposal, you have the best of all three worlds: Mac, Windows, and Linux, using the bash shell of the mac terminal.
• long life. The Mac Mini I have, 4 gigs of ram, 500 gigs of storage, has lasted me at least 3 years.
• accessibility, you can use just about all applications of the Mac system,
• app store
• automater
• calculator
• calendar
• chess, accessible chess game, can be played online too.
• contacts
• dashboard, slightly old.
• dictionary
• dvd player
• FaceTime, can be used to make phone calls with your nearby iPhone
• Font Book, sort of like Windows’s character viewer
• gamecenter
• Garageband
• iBooks
• image capture
• iTunes
• Launchpad, app launcher
• mail
• maps
• messages, can be used to send text messages using iPhone
• mission control
• notes
• pages
• photo booth
• photos, photo library app
• preview, pdf viewer
• quicktime player, like Windows Media player
• reminders
• safari
• stickies
• system preferences
• textedit
• time machine, sort of like system restore
• xCode, programming IDE

With that said, there are also utility programs, in the utilities folder, like Terminal and disk utility, and there are far more accessible apps, like a youtube-to-mp3 download+converter, VmWare Fusion, and OpenEmu for playing video games, from NES to PSP.
Also, there are plenty of people ready to help. We love Mac converts. Long live Apple!

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2016-05-18 18:43:23

Ahoy all again.
I'm using a bluetooth keyboard on ios tpo write this down so ignore all the spelling errors.
Defender, thank you for your reply. As always, Its full of info that I needed.

Its not mac vs windows debait that I'm going for on here, but the machines themselves, I actually do know a fare bit about macs, I blame all you mac enthusiasts for that. :d
What I am actually looking for is something that lasts me a fare while without issues, as I have to deal with this z500 here, Before this machine I had a g550? or some such which worked quite well considering it was a coretod machn.
The only reason I'm considering a mac is because of its life. I've heard from people that it actually lasts a long time as compared to all these other menufacturers out there, and I guess I agree from what I have seen.
The macs at the high end are defenitly out of my price range though, so I asked if I cou;ld get a mac around that price which would do everything I want it to.
Even if I end up getting a mac I believe I'll end up installing windows alongside because as things now stand, I can't play all these audiogames or muds well on a mac. but for other things, I could do just as well with a mac
I have no clue if apple even sells refribished macs out here, but I'll ask around and see what I end up with.
Right  now, I could probably get a desktop be it a windows or a mac mini, which would meet all my needs just fine, but I have to carry these laptop and such around for taking notes and such, so needs must.

Follow me on twitter

2016-05-19 00:36:52 (edited by Chris 2016-05-19 00:45:19)

Hello,

I'd personally go for a MacBook Air. I've had my 2013 Air for the last 2 and a half years and wouldn't dream of going back to a bulky and heavy Windows laptop. I expect this machine to run smoothly for the next 5 or 6 years. Even if Apple ditches it in terms of OS X updates, it should still be able to run Windows. Well, that should be correct unless Microfail decides to change things up again. Did I mention that BootCamp rocks? I've briefly installed 8.1 on this machine, and it's fantastic! I think the SSD helps, but aside from shorter battery life, Windows was running like a champ on this thing. The only thing you may not like is the fact that newer Macs won't run Windows 7 in BC. However, you can still run virtual machines which support almost every version of Windows under the sun. If no native Windows 7 support in BootCamp is an issue for you, you may not want to consider a Mac.

edit

I believe the only Mac still being sold that runs 7 natively is the mid 2012 MacBook Pro. Windows 7 support stopped with 2015 Macs and higher.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2016-05-19 06:24:31

Hi,
A macbook air was able to run win8.1  without lagging and with a few things running like jaws, and a few other applications?
Wouldn't have thought so looking at its processer and such that are available.
I guess the apples website displays only the latest versions of macs? I.E 2016 as aposed to 2013 2015,
What's thwe difference between thiose anyway?
I guess for the mac prices I'll actually have to visit a local store, and see what they are sellling the different moddles at.
question, Does a ssd come along with the macbook air, or you need to buy 1.
Could you for instence, have a hdd and ssd loaded into a air? I guess not.
I just might have to take a windows machine though,looking at its prices on the website, if there isn't referbished versions of macs sold here or older moddles aren't sold by apple retailers.
lets see.
Still looking for machine recommendations,though. on the windows side, just in case a mac happens to be out of my price range.

Follow me on twitter

2016-05-19 14:40:32

Macs are not at the top of the hill for having a long life. My Dell laptop is eight years old and still has nothing wrong with it. And you guys think lasting three years make Macs long lasting? hahahahaha!

2016-05-19 16:28:37

Hi,
I  wouldn't consider 3 years as being long lasting, as that's what my laptops usually last for. 3/4 years,and even then after the 2 year mark they start having issues and things need to be replaced/repaired.

That must be some machine you got there, laptops lasting 8 years,with nothing still wrong with them is unheard of. At least I haven't heard of such a thing, specially a non apple computers.

I did look through a few machines but all of them or almost all of them have a U processer,ug.
So trying to see if I can actually get a i7q at $800 900 or so, if not that then a processer that isn't a U,at least.

Follow me on twitter

2016-05-19 17:01:57

My laptop is a Dell Latitude which is from their business class products which are better built than most consumer laptops. That may be why it has lasted so long.

Anyway, what I have learned is that, if I ever decide to buy a new laptop it will more than likely be another business class model.

2016-05-20 05:56:01

Hi,

Thank you figment, but I suppose you have gotten the url slightly wrong. I see a ipad pro on there not a macbook pro.

I guess business laptops are defenatly noyt something I could buy for now, but macs are somewhat similar.
They aren't really targeted as such, I.E advertised like that, but they are in terms of quality similar to most business cklass laptops if not better.

Of course I have never had anything to do with a business laptop or such so I wouldn't know anything about them, but people around me that have had a mac have used the things for ages and ages,that too without issues in which I often tend to run into on my windows macchines after 2 or so years.
Say what one will about apple being a tad bit steap when it comes to pricing, but imo you get what you pay for. you pay high but you do get quality.

Has anyone used asus machines? if so, how good are they? I know this tends to vary on an machine to machine, but generally lenovo has been good for me, sept in recent years. and they do work,but they aren't something I'd call long lasting.
grryf

Follow me on twitter

2016-05-20 06:50:35

I just sold my soul to Apple for one of their MacBook Pro models.  A 15-inch machine with a 2.8GHZ Intel Core I7 processor with turbo boost up to 4.0GHZ, 16GB of SDRAM, and 512GB of SSD.  That, my friend, runs near $3,000.

The reason why I'm investing in one is because I'm an Apple mobile user, so integrating a computer machine would be efficient for my mobile devices (my iPhone and iPad).  Being able to install a version of Windows makes it all the more worth it, so having a machine dedicated to just Windows isn't necessary, but it is good to have a backup.
big_smile

I'm a music editor and recorder, so Protools, Garage Band, Logic Pro, etc, are such examples of programs only available and accessible on OSX.

Macs actually don't lose their retail value, and quite honestly, the hardware is superior.  The processor power, RAM, etc, is not part of the equation.  I think it's the actual build of the system.  The metal will survive for many, many years.  Countless users have reported just slowness of the machine after say 7 or more years of using their Mac.

Luke

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2016-05-20 13:34:55 (edited by defender 2016-05-20 13:36:55)

Part of the reason I suggested the model that I did was because it lacks Apple's signature bullshit over the last few years.

E.G. glued in place battery, components directly soldered onto the motherboard, a casing that needs a special screwdriver and allot of patients to open, and overly expensive  periferals for basic functions such as Ethernet, CD/DVD playback, a MagSafe to MagSafe 2 converter if you want to use most preexisting power cords at schools and businesses when you forget/break yours, and a mini display port to VGA adapter if you want to use the kind of older projectors and screens  that institutions still have all over, as well as a mini display port to DVI adapter if you want to use a more modern high resolution display.
Did I mention that most of these don't work with Windows even on boot camp? Or that the 80 dollar super drive doesn't even have blue ray support? Which means you'll probably have to go hunting for alternatives.

This earlier model comes with a very good slot type CD/DVD drive built in, it's actually the super drive, just internal and slimmed down.  It also comes with relatively easy to replace memory and hard drive, as well as user serviceable fan and heatsync, though you may still need a special screwdriver which you can buy online to do so, but that's the price you pay for that protective aluminum clamshell casing that will keep your computer safe from most falls, and at least it won't warp or break when your taking it off like the newer models can.

It also still supports Windows 7 natively, and it's hardware is up to date enough to be useful for at least another 2 or 3 major versions of OSX and Windows, based on the way that minimum system requirements keep shrinking every time.

As to Apple selling refurbished, yeah, they do, and the article I linked goes into more depth about that, among other things.

To Figment

Firstly, the older latitudes are the only ones that are built that well unfortunately, the new ones are just stapled and glued together crap, with quote on quote armor coding that comes off when you scratch it with your fingernail, this is as of 2012 or so, and I know this from personal experience as I had to take one apart to clean the fan.
The acidic binder in the glue also burned off a layer of skin from my hands, which sucked but wasn't like, E R worthy or anything.  Still, I had to let it burn it's self out, because water didn't do much, and of course I couldn't read any warnings that might have been there.

Also, my best friend has a Macbook Pro that's lasted him around 8 years as well, and the only reason he got a new one was because the hardware was seriously out of date.
This goes along with several other acquaintances over the years who've had both Mac laptops and all in ones that have lasted until they were no longer relevant to today's software requirements.

I don't exactly know where your getting your information Figment, but where ever it is, the source is obviously highly biased.
Macs have, and always have had, an excellent track record in terms of longevity, and so do some other laptops of course, the Lenovo T series, the Panasonic Toughbook, some of the chromebooks, depending on manufacturer of course, and many newer ultrabooks that took their cue's directly from apple and started using diamond  cut unibody aluminum casings and flash only storage.

But even before that revolution, the ahead of it's time aluminum casing, combined with the apple care plan and the carefully selected hardware and streamlined firmware to keep it at safe levels of operation kept those laptops alive long past what you'd expect of them.

I'm not an apple fanboy by any regard, in fact I'm quite unhappy with them right now do to the ridiculous price of their laptop chargers, along with the quality control issues for screens and logic boards from the factory, and when I get a cellphone I'm planning on going with a Motorola G or Blu Life X1, both running the latest version of Android, and at this point I find the Dell XPS series and a handful of others to be a better deal over all than the latest MacBook models, but I also won't flat out deny the facts just so I can attempt to internally validate my preexisting beliefs about an entire tech ecosystem either, lest I be rightfully labeled as a brand elitist.  smile

2016-05-20 13:41:15

The lovely thing about the Mac is that they’re made to be used, not taken apart and put back together just because. Sure, you may need an adapter in the future. I, for example, have to have a display to HDMI adaptor, because my HDMI port stopped working after a few years, not months, of having the Mac. So please, we’re users, not system administrators as Windows sufferers must learn to be.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2016-05-20 14:26:15

Ahoy all

@defender, I'd be sure to look specificly for this moddle,then.
As for referbished apple macs, I meant not in the USA but my country(india). The laws around here selling official referbished stuff is a bit wierd and iffy, so I am not if apple actually sell referbished moddles. but as I said, I'll look around and see if they actually do or not.speaking of other machines other than macs, could you please suggest a few machines on the windows side that I could go for?

I do have a few questions about the mac's memory and such,but let me see if I can actually get one before I worry about these. :d

Couldn't have said it better about macs longevity myself,and that's exactly what people around me that have bought macs experienced as well.

Follow me on twitter

2016-05-20 14:38:26 (edited by Figment 2016-05-20 22:21:02)

Oops! I'd have sworn it was a Mac Book Pro, ah well, sorry about that. Hmmm... a refurbished iPad Pro for almost $700? Doesn't sound like that great a deal, isn't that about what they cost brand new?

2016-05-20 14:54:43

I had to pay Apple to maintain it? Not yet, lol. I just bought a $30 adaptor, and boom, it works. Also, with the Duet app on my iPhone, I don’t even need a monitor, I just plug in my iPhone, launch the app, and there, the Mac runs fine. Of course, I still use one when I have access to it, because sometimes I like letting my step-siblings play games on the Mac, but besides that, I don’t need the monitor really.
Also, what walled garden are you talking about? Oh. You’ve gotten iOS and Mac OS confused. iOS is walled up for a pretty big reason, and that is that we often store pretty personal stuff on our phones, and we rarely think about that, and we carry them around. People who have Macs tend to sort of know what they’re doing, so we can have access to the filesystem, the Terminal, and applications that Apple doesn’t even know about. So really, as I said, what walled garden can enclose the Mac’s software?
Speaking of software, does Windows 10 have a native spell checker that is system-wide now? Does it have a dictionary, an accessible Mail app, an updated accessible web browser, the ability for it’s TTS system to read almost *any* unicode character including emoji… I ask not to be derisive, but just wondering if Windows has taken any leaps in the right direction. If not, then the Mac welcomes you to all it has to offer.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2016-05-20 15:15:26 (edited by defender 2016-05-20 15:43:40)

Stop turning this poor guy's topic into your own personal dick measuring contest for massive tech giants who couldn't give less of a shit about your opinion either way, please and thank you, everyone not blinded by favoritism already knows that Mac and Windows, Android and IOS are both full of flaws and innovations in nearly equal measure. Apple is generally less so, and it's inherently streamlined interface helps it out, but it's catching up quickly do to the death of the (great?) Steve Jobs, and Microsoft still offers far more user customization for free or cheap, and probably always will, just like it will probably always feel somewhat cobbled together and be more prone to security threats.
I can't really comment on the hole Google VS Apple thing as I don't actually own either of their mobile devices, but I'm guessing it's basically the same.
Mostly, it's about personality and how much your willing to put up with, which are both subjective things, and if people didn't want these differing types of user experiences in the first place, (restrictive but reliable), or (ungraceful but freeing), then neither of them would exist anyway, so clearly either everyone is wrong or everyone is right...  big_smile
People without a few thousand dollars to throw away don't have time for this type of BS, just saying, so since you both do seem to potentially have useful information to share, then can you just redirect your efforts towards helping the OP, or just not post here and talk about this somewhere else instead?  Since it is, after all, a valid, if rather tired, argument to debate on.

Yeah thanks for reminding me about that, I'm going to look at a few Windows computers now.
Also just wanted to say that I checked out the MacBook Air as well, but unfortunately the only one near your price range has a 128GB SSD, which really isn't going to cut it if your running VM or boot camp, and you actually want to be able to do file sharing, or to have allot of apps on either side.
Thankfully, since this mid 2012 model can be serviced at home quite easily, you can just buy an SSD later if you want one, and it should give you a pretty drastic boost in performance.
SSD's are now much cheaper than they were even 3 years ago, and as long as your careful to read customer reviews from long time owners and respected technology sites, you can get a 240GB SSD for around 75 bucks, or a 512GB for around 125 bucks, that will last you at least five, up to ten, years.

2016-05-20 17:35:05

That famous apple quality? Yeah... got me a macbook pro retna in 2013.  ThatMac ran like a dream.. right up til apple care ran out. Then the screen died a few weeks later. It sat on a desk for it's entire life. Cost to replace the screen? 800 pounds is what the guy in the apple store told me. Can't even sell it on to get cash to get a new laptop because broken screen.
Saying that, My dad still uses my old 2008 macbook pro that I just stuck an SSD and 8 GB of ram in. It runs surprisingly well.
I can only come to one conclusion here. Apple are cheaping out on their ultra thin, high rez(TM) darlings. If you really want to spring for a mac then go for the 2012 macbook pro 13 or 15 if you can find it cheap enough. With the adition of a SSD, and 16 GB of ram the machine will run really well. Don't care about the super drive? you can pull it out and replace it with another 2.5 inch drive bay for more storage. Can also replace the thermal compound if you want for better cooling.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2016-05-20 18:28:59

I'd recommend Lenovo as a brand for discovering great machines.  The TSeries is my favorite so far.  Well, at least as notebooks are concerned.  The Yoga series is a nice, slim, compact style that packs in great specs under the hood.

BC for Mac doesn't support Win7 past the models released almost 4 years ago?  How can that be?  (I'm not a Mac user, so I know next to nothing about their hardware capabilities).

Luke

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2016-05-20 21:16:03

OK, so I've been studiously avoiding this topic because the Mac and low-cost are not exactly phrases that go together, but I'm going to clarify some points, mostly because I own and still use recent Mac hardware.

BootCamp for Win7 stopped around 2015, yes. My iMac 14 supports it; my Retina MBP 15 doesn't. My two Mac Minis do, but that's not what they're for. And anyway, Win8.1 is just great for me, with Classic Shell. If you buy a Mac and know which model it is, you can look it up on Apple's site to find out which OSs are supported.

@grryf: long life is the one thing Apple are the undisputed winner at. Sure there's more choice on the Windows side, but the race to the bottom means that, sadly, a disproportionate amount of it is crap. For every well-build Windows notebook, there are dozen that are badly put together, compromise on the components and still worse the chassis, and are simply not "value for money". It gives me no pleasure saying this, really, because Apple has been getting complacent recently, with several (now mostly resolved) quality issues of their own. sad

What I suggest you do is to pick up the Apple Store app, and see how retail looks where you are. If you can, wait a month, and try again, paying special attention to the Refurbished section. Other stores, likewise, will have clearance. That's because WWDC (Apple's developer conference) is just around the corner, and if there is new hardware to go with the latest release of OS X, there will be a rush on the resale market. There always is. You will want to capitalise on that, if you can. I always go top-spec just because I want to future-proof, and because I get excellent returns from the resale on a machine that's built to last. Of course, my oldest in-use Mac is still going strong at six years, so don't let the thought that I'm buying new Macs just because I want the latest shiny give you a false impression in that regard either. I'm bound to say, in fact, that I've never been disappointed by any of my purchases, nor has anybody I've known, either online or offline, and the one time I needed a repair on a notebook I got a complete replacement, and it was the latest model to boot (which is why I now have it). Apple have been good to me, so I'd say go for it.

Now, If I had a gripe, it would be as Defender said that Apple is going with the lock-in strategy on upgrades. It's no longer about specs, but fashion, so whatever you get has to have consumer appeal--no professional workstations and no upgradable desktops. There are machines to avoid: these are distinguished by non-upgradability with atrocious starting configurations, for example an iMac with a spinning hard disk when the superior configurations--to be had for unreasonable upgrade prices--all have flash storage. Unfortunately, it sounds like you don't have the option of paying the tax, so you must either look to the DIY market on older models or a pre-built refurb. Needless to say, if you can't upgrade the machine, buy the best you can up front.  I finally surrendered and bought both Retina MacBook Pro and iMac, and I'm very happy with them despite the bloody fortune I paid for them because they were clearly an improvement over their ageing predecessors, despite their over-emphasis on thinness. You can buy most accessories more cheaply without Apple, so there's no real problem there, just the computers. I guess Apple can count on consumers like me to buy their desirable products, even though I bought both refurbished.

Anyway, good luck with your purchase, whatever it turns out to be. Macs are awesome, even as Windows machines. smile

Just myself, as usual.

2016-05-21 05:58:10

Ahoy all

Thank you all for your suggestions/tips. I really appriciate it.
I'd actually write a more,and write what I want to say more often, if this bluetooth keyboard and something to do with do with this forum weren't being such a pest about letting me post, but I digress.

The more I heare about the macbook the 2012 version, the more I come to the conclusion that its the machine for me, as long as I'm able to find one around here. :d
@defender, couldn't have said that better even if I had tried to.
No matter what hardware/software or device what you will, is gonna have pros and cons specific to them,might be same in some cases and quite different in others, but nothing alas is perfect, be it ios, android,mac,windos and so on.
As long as you are happy with what you are using,and it works for you,well hey ,a bucketfull of joy to you. Moving on,

@defender again, funnyly enough, in that last post of yours you actually answered all the questions I had but was like meh, let me get a macbook first, or at least verify that I will be able to buy it then ask/worry about replacing the ssd and so on.
:d
specificly I was wondering if any ssd could replace the default ssd that comes with the macbooks, and excerdus(sorry for the wrong spelling) further answered my question as to whether the cd/dvd drive could be replaced with another storage device.

speaking of, @exodus, Aye, what you say could be true, or you just ended up with a bad apple out of the lot. I.E I have been using lenovo for a while now, and usually the machines that I've gotten from them work farely well,but this last one was a nightmare sinse the day I got the dam thing. well that might be putting that a bit thic,but a few months would be  more to the point.
Can't even sell it as things stand,as the motherboard itself might have something wrong with it,and if I go to replace the dam thing I might as well not sell it and keep around.

@leibylucwgamer, Thank you, I'll gibe the t series and yoga a look, but for now they might be out of my price range. Still, they are quite good, and lenovo is one company that I have used before and its farely good.

Follow me on twitter

2016-05-21 06:29:22

I had written that post at least 10 hours before and I couldn't submit the dam thing,because safari and this forum don't like eachh other, or at least VO doesn't like me making posts on here. :d

@sebby, I agree, macs and low cost usually don't go together, but what I'm trying to do here is get the notebook which will last me the longest within the price I can pay. Even though I can't get the best mac out there,I guess the lower ends might just do me as well,again as long as they are available around here.
Your views regarding macs generally match  what I've seen myself, and that's one reason I'm even thinking of macs at all.
Funnyly enough, imo macs make the best windows machines out there,although a bit steap in price terms.
I had almost forgotten about wwdc, and I'll try and hold on til then because I'm more likely to get a better deal at that point than otherwise, but dunno if I can make do without til then.
Thanks, either way, I'll keep all of that in mind when I go to make a purchase.

Follow me on twitter

2016-05-21 09:44:58

Hello,
I've been using an HP 655 laptop for around 3 years, 262 days, and 17 hours and I'm not disappointed by its strength and hardware performance, but this year I entered university, and things became complicated. 300-400 page books were and still are common, as well as rich word presentations and lectures with every kind of word feature you could ever think of. Moreover, I had to fill in tests with very complex documents my university teachers prepared, containing around 30 tables with nine to 13 rows which only God knows how they manage to write. Now, this laptop freezes a lot, more often than you think. Reading books in microsoft word with jaws is very uncomfortable, and doing the same with NVDA is a nightmare. Though the processor stays at 20% in daily use, when opening any office application like outlook, word or excel it goes higher and higher. However, the laptop never had any technical or hardware issues but it is too slow and I am forced to buy another one. I've been looking carefully at this topic, but I couldn't find something suitable for me since here it is mostly discussed about mak computers which I cannot buy because my language is not supported by any type of synthesiser that exists on the apple side. So I have to buy a laptop running windows. I want a laptop from HP or dell, and that's what I'm looking for. I need a laptop which is a mixture between a notebook and a regular laptop that is around 14 to 16 inches. I want these bloody freezes, sluggishnesses, failures to be gone, though crashes on windows will always be common. What can you recommend me to buy? I'm willing to pay 500 or 600 dollars because my family has to spend money also on other things. Remember that I want anything from HP, dell, or Acer.
Thank you.
Cheers.

2016-05-21 12:43:56

Hi,
Afrin, I am having the exact problems as you, and hence the plan to get at a new machine that doesn't lag,or cry on me so often, even though the cpu is usually at 20 10% 3% or so.
I'm guessing it might have something to do with the 5400rpm shit hdds that come bundled with most cheap machines out there that's causing these slow downs.
I don't think you'd be able to get a good del machine at that range,though sinse dels are usually priced a bit higher than say, lenovo,hp, etc what have you out there. for the same specks and such.
Never used a del computer myself so couldn't speak for them,but At least at the mid/lower end product line, their machines often aren't that good quality.
Mind you,all this is heresay, and things that I've read. which could be completely wrong and arse backwards.
grryf

Follow me on twitter