2016-05-15 12:37:47

I was trying to find out how many users use this website, it being the most popular online forum used by blind and vision impaired people across the world. However, the user list shows many users whose identity as humans can be questioned.

I am wondering if it would be desirable and possible to remove all of those users who:

1) have usernames that could be questioned as human;
2: have not posted anything since their profile's creation, or in the last three years; and
3) have a lot of missing or inaccurate information on their profiles.

This would have the result of:

1) being able to provide a meaningful and accurate guide as to how many people use the audiogames.net forum as members; and
2) providing a simpler way to find individual users.

If robots continue to visit this website, could their profiles be routinely removed every six months or so?

What do others think of this?

2016-05-15 12:56:15

While I understand the reason your asking this, there is a fairly major problem. Namely that the forum keeps track of banned spambots, and the e-mails and Ip addresses they registered with by the user profile. If we actively deleted the profiles of spambots who were banned, they'd be free to register and spam us  again.
Quite apart from the problem that deleting profiles needs to be done manually by moderators, and that would be ----- well quite a task to say the least, particularly sinse it'd be hard to distinguish between spambots and users who just haven't posted in a while, sinse while many spambots do have obvious names like "hot'russian'women45" or whatever, not all do, indeed this is why even if there were some sort of auto delete function that could be installed and run to say remove all users with less than 1 post, I wouldn't recommend using it in case we accidently deleted the profile of a legitimate user.

As to counting number of users, I'm not actually sure if there is a way, particularly sinse there are some long time users who are only occasional visitors and the like, it's a general internet problem.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-05-15 13:16:58

You could send out an email to all of the users who you wished to delete. If they responded to this email by replying with text saying something like "No, don't delete me because I am human," they would be humans. If not, they are robots. AppleVis solves this problem by having a maths question presented to users on the registration page of their website. As I said above, you could make a blanket rule that all users who have not posted anything in the last three years and have never posted at all should have their profiles removed.

2016-05-15 14:21:31

That isn't fair particularly as some forum users are more active than others.

2016-05-15 16:22:01

Back when I managed the forum we ran for our DRM system's users. every month we'd prune the user database by banning suspected robots rather than delete them to keep the email addresses blocked.

Since most spam bots create a profile then post one message then never return, the criteria we used was to ban any user that had only one post created the same day their profile was created and then no posts for six months.

Even though the forum software had built in pruning functions, with such a complex set of parameters, we had to write the pruning routine ourselves.

We also set up the forum to require any members first five posts to be moderator approved before they were made public. We could do this because our forum was for a rather vertical market, so our user base was rather small. Requiring a members first few messages be moderator approved on a forum like audiogames.net would be impractical.

2016-05-15 17:28:26

Well moderation of each new user's post manually would be quite a task, as unfortunately would be any manual checking or   deleting of x thousand users, plus as I said there is the risk of reregistering spambots if we banned their accounts.

Ultimately Tjt, while I do appreciate the desire to get an accurate user number, I'm afraid I'm not exactly sure whether it's worth either the risk of deleting potential human users, or of having spambots reregister, or the huge amount of work and/or custom coding it'd take.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-05-16 10:07:28

OK then. What about removing all people from the user list who:

1) have three or less posts overall;
2) have not posted anything in the last three years; and
3) have questionable usernames, signatures, or other profile information that could allow us to deduce that they most probably as not human.

In the event that these are human, they would be returned to the user list when they post something. However, I strongly doubt that a person who, for example, created an account in 2011 and has only posted once since should not probably be in the user list as they probably do not visit the audiogames.net forum.

Another way to see whether these people are worth keeping in the list would be to use criteria 1 and 2 from above, and also to see if they have not visited the forum in the last two years.

2016-05-16 12:18:09

I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by "remove from the user list"

The user list is a list of registered forum users (including banned ones), the only way to remove someone from it would be to delete their account.

I suppose you could have some sort of custom coding filters for the list to say show only users with more than one post in the last x amount of time, though even then your likely to either get some spambots (some spambots post several before they're got rid of), or miss out on some legitimate human users, sinse some people really haven't posted much.

Just as one example in around 2011, I recall a person registered an account representing an orphanage in Vietnam.

She/he was looking for free audio games sinse they had some blind orphans, however she/he didn't actually post a topic, but contacted myself privately. The post count of that user will likely still be zero, but they're definitely a human being not a spambot.

As I said, while I understand your desire to get an accurate user number I'm not really sure if it's worth the huge amount of work and the risk involved.

2016-05-16 12:44:46

What I meant by "removal from the user list" was for those people/robots to not be shown on the list of users while keeping their accounts still in existence should they wish to post again at which time their profiles would be returned to the user list.

I had not considered scenarios such as the one you described; however, I see how such a thing could certainly be important.

2016-05-17 09:58:03

well tjt, the user list is as I said just a list of all registered accounts, we don't decide who goes on it and who doesn't, the forum generates it automatically and there is no way to remove someone from that list without deleting their account.

It is a problem.

about the best way you could find to determine user numbers would I think be looking at the number of active users in the previous 24 hours. No, this wouldn't show everyone, but it'd at least give an idea of roughly how much activity we had, particularly sinse spambots are less common these days.

2016-05-17 10:57:11

Is that list of people able to be generated at my request, or would I have to go looking through all of the forums?

2016-05-25 21:15:56

Here are some stats regarding AudioGames.net

According to CloudFlare:
Total Requests Last 24 Hours 124,134
Total Unique Visitors Last 24 Hours 3,679
Total Requests Last Month 4,481,991
Total Unique Visitors Last Month 46,109

According to Google Analytics
Pageviews last month: 163,312
Sessions last month: 35,032
Unique users last month: 13,584

According to awstats