2016-05-14 20:55:45

Whilst writing a post for Aprone's Preludeamals game, I came across a need for a tag which would conceal the text until clicked on. I've seen spoiler tags used in various forums, and they do work well with JAWS and NVDA (admittedly the only two screen readers with which I've any familiarity). I don't know how difficult their implementation is, but is there any chance this could be up for consideration as time permits? It's not by any means critical, but being able to hide spoilers from people who don't want to accidentally see them would be a great feature.

Kai

Spill chuck you spots!

2016-05-14 21:04:57

I've had a few times in the past where such a feature would have come in handy.  I have no idea what would be involved in adding this, if it's even possible without more work than it's worth.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2016-05-14 22:37:55

Some boards have a spoiler tag function in bbuilt, but punbb doesn't appear to (or at least there's nothing in the admin settings regarding one). It's possible there's an extention kicking around somewhere however that could be installed, otherwise it'd be up to custom coding wich could take more time.

That being said, one advantage of screen readers is that because the text is read sequentially, a spoiler warning can serve the same function as a tag sinse people can stop their screen readers reading at the word "spoiler"

This of course doesn't serve the same function as a clickable tag, but it can work farely well and it's what I've done myself when discussing game, film or book spoilers.

If there isn't a hard coded way of adding spoiler tags, perhaps a suggestion in the faq that people consider writing "spoiler" on a separate line before discussing spoilers might be an idea.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-05-14 22:55:55

Dark you make a very good point.  The linear nature of screen readers does help quite a bit, and if no other solution ever presents itself in a convenient way, it should work.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2016-05-14 23:31:38

Hello,
There is also another way as well for screen reader users, if you write the letters on a separate line of the word spoiler, the person has a chance to press control quickly and stop speech
s
p
o
i
l
e
r
a
h
e
a
d
I download preludimals today, no I'm not going to put anything about it here because I don't want to suddenly spoil it in here.

2016-05-15 11:32:05

Hmmm Aaron, I personally find the one letter per line method a bit too cumbersome myself and a little long winded when I do! want to read others posts, indeed I always thought the point of that method is that when a sighted person is reading scrolling text the text of the spoiler is enough lines down the page that they won't read it by accident.

That's why I just myself tend to write something like "spoiler for Starwars! beware, read no further ylest yee be spoiled!"

Luke Skywalker is actually Darth Vader's son,yeah! bet you didn't know that big_smile.

Still, there's not really a right and wrong way here, and just so long as there is something to pressage a spoiler so people can stop reading if they wish.

As I said, if a hard coded solution isn't possible, maybe a suggestion in the faq that people mark spoilers as a curtacy to other members might help people remember, though I'd rather not have any hard and fast rules about spoilers, indeed I've seen forums where moderators get really on people's cases aboutt spoilers and they're definitely not pretty.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-05-15 16:32:33 (edited by Figment 2016-05-15 16:45:29)

In lue of a Pun extension to add it, I like Dark's idea of putting the word Spoiler on a line by it self before any spoilers in a message.

One problem with this approach is that unless you continue to read the spoiler, you miss any part of the message that comes after the spoiler.

One way around this is to group all the lines of the spoiler together with the lines that contains the spoiler warning. That way we can use the skip paragraph, "p" in JAWS and I believe in NVDA too, to skip over the spoiler.

2016-05-15 16:46:14

NVDA doesn't treat that like a container. However if you put your spoiler inside a quote tag, then you can use the comma key to skip to the end. This also has the added benefit that you could still have more text in your post below the spoiler which would otherwise be hard to get to in case someone just decides to go to the next post.

spoiler wrote:

The cake is a lie!

Thinking about cake just made me very hungry... If you just skipped that Spoiler, you're a very lucky person. big_smile

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2016-05-15 17:45:36

Well i don't know if putting spoiler on each line of a paragraph is a good idea, sinse while I do take the point about paragraphs (supernova has a similar function too), it'd be both a bit of a pain to read and write.

Spoiler ahead.

Spoiler Emperor Palpatine's first name is.
Spoiler Susan ethil fluffy wuffykins.
Spoiler that is why he wanted an apprentice called anny.
End spoiler.

On the other hand, Pittermach's idea about quote tags for spoilers is a really good one, indeed supernova has a function to jump streight to block quotes, or indeed past them.

2016-05-16 15:56:53

In JAWS the "<" and ">" keys in HTML navigation jump to the beginning or end of an tag pair. A tag pairs are tags that have a beginning and ending tag, like < table > and < /table >, or < list > and < /list >. I just tried it with the spoiler quote and it works for that as well, which is no surprise, < blockquote > and < /blockquote >..

@Dark

You misunderstood me, what I meant was that the first line of a paragraph containing a spoiler contain just the word "spoiler", like this:

Spoiler
This is how the game you are playing ends.

2016-05-17 10:01:06

ah I understand, as I said I've used that method myself and think it's a good idea, though block quotes I think is the best suggestion I've heard so far.

I will alter the faq with a suggestion about spoilers.