2016-05-13 06:09:08

Ah, thanks for the clarification, Jack.

2016-06-18 11:42:48

Hi.
Post #1 is update now.
please check again.
thanks for blindhelp project.

2016-06-26 16:13:39

i emailed LevTech, got the following back from them.
Hello
Firstly, let me start off by pointing out that there is and has never been any kind of exemption from copyright for visually impaired people unless for the purpose of creating accessible materials that would ordinarily otherwise be inaccessible.
I would also like to point out that this particular exemption only stands if a product or service is not already commercially available. No such act exists to enable visually impaired people free and unlimited access to commercial products and services.
If you would like to point me to the supposed act you speak of, I would be happy to look into it further.
Best regards
Levi Johnson
Levtec Corporation
http://levtec.linkpc.net/

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Sent: 25 June 2016 20:12
To: [email protected]
Subject: copyright infringement
Hello Levi,
I recently read that you requested a certain file by the name of
"protection. The file named corecovery v1.00b46.zip is identified by the
key (zwq24ylazno3clw). As a"
I request that you allow the person to keep the file on the mediafire
and other servers under the fair use by blind and visually impaired
persons exception to copyright act: which states that upon medical proof
that one is blind or visually impaired he or she may share all such
files restricted to sharing only with other blind and visually impaired
people only.
Thank you,
Josh Kennedy
--
sent from mozilla thunderbird

2016-06-26 16:29:19 (edited by jack 2016-06-26 16:36:37)

Josh, if there's any act close to the one you pointed out, it would allow state agencies to distribute commercial materials, and would allow services like Bookshare, and Nls *already Congress based anyway* to exist. Any commercial product, of which this software certainly is, is not part of this exemption. There are also acts that allow blind people to strip drm from protected books from commercial market, since, for example on Amazon, publishers may opt out of distributing books with text to speech. It's twisted, though, that such an act exist, but it's illegal for such drm removal software to be created, so the argument still exists as to which act prevails in whichever situation. Put simply, drm blows, end of story. Turn to the Free Software Foundation, they're doing the best they can to put up a strong front against drm. Drm or no drm, though, blind people don't have the kind of copyright exemption that you described. Make no mistake about it, we aren't entitled! to free stuff just because we're blind. Don't take any of it for granted. Should an ignorant President redo copyright, Bookshare could be forced to fold. Sure, NLS is always free but provided the Government keeps funding it! You never know. So just because we have access to free books and magazines, doesn't mean we're entitled to them. It's more of a privilege than a right. I know, equal access is supposed to be a right, and not a privilege, but as far as copyright is concerned, it's just harsh reality. Until copyright is redone, if ever, it is a set of hard-to-understand guidelines that screw over legit people and even some of the creative people behind the work, and are simply there to protect the fat corporations behind them. Fyi, I'm talking about access to materials in this case. EVerything else we certainly aren't entitled to for free, and the rights should thus be respected.

2016-07-01 08:20:24

Lol, I’m still looking for virtual machines for 7, 8.1 and 10. I just have xp.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2016-07-01 15:22:14

Well, why not just put an iso file and let VMware does the job? you could use the easy install which built in with vm itself.

2021-07-20 22:39:00

sorry for this kinda dangerous topic resurrection, but I would love to not spam the forum some more with so many new topics. Is this the only source, in post 1,  we have for images now, seeing as carlos' site went down? thankfully I have downloaded the windows 10 64 bit image some years back, but still... I would love to see something more public or organized, or I could even do it myself because I got some cloud space free. What do you think_? or do you know any other place? the legality of this one linked on top just  gives me some chills. I was thinking about this because a couple weeks back i had this huge problem with a computer and well... I had to use the windows 10 installer which is now thankfully a talking one thanks to narrator and luck with compatible audio drivers, but sure enough and nice would have been to have this stripped talking windows available too. I wish I could make a dual USB boot with these, both the image and the talking environment, I believe there is a way, but for now I am interested in the images hosted on a more serious place I guess.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2021-07-20 23:19:38

If there's enough interest, I can host several images. I have all 4 images from that opopanax site, as well as a Windows XP talking PE I recently obtained. They're very useful for all kinds of things, not just installing Windows versions prior to 10 1703.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2021-07-20 23:40:30 (edited by Ethin 2021-07-20 23:44:42)

I, too, would also be happy to host images. (I've got a ton of space so I can probably act as a mirror of sorts.) I'll need a list of links though. And so long as hosting them is actually legal.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-07-21 18:16:27

hi there,
@33
did you say you have a talking xp pe?
that sounds ausom!
could you tell me where you may have aquired this from?
or did you make it?
miss xp.
would it be possible for you to tell me which location you got the image from?
I'm interested,
, very interested.
would it be faster setting up a btsync folder for easy distribution?

Majid

2021-07-21 18:33:48

I didn't make it. Someone gave me the link when I requested it on a topic. Here is the link.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/1j4temfo … 0.rar/file

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2021-07-21 20:00:47

Well, as it happens, Levtech don't appear to be around anymore even on the old website, and Winstaller wasn't exactly a product that could be sold legally due to the broken agreements with certain libraries used, so my guess is it's as legal as it gets until someone or a dmca proves otherwise. I sure hope no one actually fell for his offer of a talking bios reader that he tried to get people to pay more for in addition to Winstaller. Of course as we all know, such a thing isn't possible.

2021-07-21 21:40:18

Agreed, 37. If he'd offered that for UEFI things might've been different, though the claim still would've been bogus given that that would require *a lot* of infrastructure code that EFI is only now just starting to get. Its kinda odd how people think that accessibility is "super easy" to do when that depends on the environment and supported functionality.
Can someone get me a list to all talking ISOs? I can get the latest windows 10 ISO but I don't think I can get older versions. Or I don't know where at least (I don't think MS lets you download older versions).

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-07-21 22:37:56

the only source I have come across for all of the talking images are on the site on the first post.. or just google talking windows pe or something of the sort. No other places i know host these, and sadly I think someone made some others specifically from this forum but they used links that have been long gone I guess.
Though I guess winstaller and talking windows preinstalllation  environment are different? because the available ones are based on the win builder and I think that is different altogether.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…