2007-12-21 23:45:25 (edited by malthe 2007-12-22 01:26:54)

Well hello there,
Long time no post. Anyway, just wanted to let you know about a new piece of software that I just wrote, called essay evader.
Basically it's designed to give you a good excuse when you haven't done your homework, by waiting for processes you specify in an ini file and kills them, then shows an error message that you define too. You can also define the title of the error dialog.
You can make it run aat windows startup too, so if your teacher wants to restart to fix the issue, no problem.
To grab this, go to
http://dl.uwod.net
And click on the essay evader link.
Hope you enjoy this, Malthe.

2007-12-22 14:26:43

You think this is the ultimate waste of disk space? Laugh, when I was at college someone accidentally programmed a file that dumped a 4gb file in his 40mb user account, now that *is* the ultimate waste of disk space. No idea how the heck it fit the 4gb file there, but ho hum. From then on it was known as the four gig a ma jig.

Certainly an amusing project, could have other potential uses too.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-12-22 14:58:44

Rofl. Did the sysop get mad?
Yeah, it could, but it's mainly designed with homework in mind, but  as said in the readme file. It's just something I wrote real quick, so it might not be bug free, ahh well. Heh you're right, but hopefully it's not gonna be used for molicious ones.
Malthe

2007-12-22 15:01:51

They never noticed, he deleted it and IT support was pretty useless there. When one saw a blue screen error he turned the monitor off then on again and declared it broken, that's about their limit.

I never meant malicious use exactly. For example about 8 years ago my sister had some annoying friends who would come over and mess about on the computer, it would be good for stopping access to certain programs without arousing suspicion.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-12-23 08:57:21

heh nice job. Just hope that teachers don't read it, seeing as how it's a public forum smile

2007-12-23 12:52:01

Lol cx2. Ahh, yeah never really thought of the sighted friends aspect of it wink or just friends in general really.
Glad you guys like it, and lol, I just remembered that my teacher's rss'ed to my blog... Eek! Anyways, even if they do read this thred, they won't really get much out of it, cause you can just rename the file. Of course the file has a signature, but just hide it well... If the teacher tries to look at the task manager, you could always make an other fake process error... Btw, if you weren't sure, you can have more processes in 1 ini file, just to clear up the confusion if any. So you don't need to run more than one instance of the program, just thought I'd clear that up since I was asked about it.
Merry pre-christmas and stuff smile
Malthe.