2016-05-03 02:09:16 (edited by joshknnd1982 2016-05-03 17:07:26)

it seems to me back in the 1980s and even growing up in the 90s more blind people had jobs than they do now. and here in the united states in elementary middle and high school i got equipment like braillers and computers screen readers and a braille embosser, notetakers with braille displays. but they don't tell you after you leave elementary middle school and high school all that goes away. you don't get the teacher of visually impaired to prepare your books for you in college and so i failed college but in college met my wife who is blind, had a kid, her family was real sheltering and i could not deal with that and that broke our relationship most of it anyway. so i had a job with a national industries for the blind partner, lost it due to various legal matters. and now I live on social security in the same small town i grew up in with no job. it seems like when you are blind and you go through the independence training and job training only to have your wife's family or anyone for that matter rip it from under you its almost impossible to get back up to job and working status. so what do you all think do you think there were more jobs back in the 1980s and before perhaps even into the 1990s yet? I am really bored sitting at home with hardly any money.

2016-05-03 02:27:14

i applied for several jobs both work at home and otherwise and have had no luck at all around here. playing games and watching tv everyday can get quite boring. i find it amazing that if a sighted person wants a job whether they are divorced or not they can just go out and get one because sighted folks expect other sighted folks to work. the nfb is so into education and jobs and stuff so why don't we have teachers of visually impaired for college so i don't have to sit at a scanner and scan and scan books for hours on hours in the hopes i will be able to then read the book? i studdied spanish in college and failed. no braille material. in high school i could focus on the work and passing and getting good grades. the braille books were prepared before the schoolyear started. i wish it were the same after you graduate high school, through college and beyond. when the place in louisiana found out about the whole divorce and my wife being so sheltered they decided not to hire me. i don't blame them though. i was required to just take two marriage counseling sessions that was all. it has been nearly five years now. five years of being bored. yes there's moments of fun, going to amusement parts taking my sighted son to local places here in town but i feel i aught to be working. i aught to be doing what other sighted folks do. working. making money. not barely existing on social security. sometimes i think about what it may have been like to work at the place in louisiana what would it be like to make $40000 or so maybe more per year? my resume is 5 years out of date. my a plus and network plus computer certifications are expired. no good. i guess if i really wanted more money i could shut off the cable internet and phone. but i can't do that. then i'd be even more bored than i am now. i can reformat and maintain both windows and linux desktops. do all kinds of stuff regarding fixing computers their hardware and OS maintenance. but no job for me. amazing i have all this ability but it just goes to waste oh well.

2016-05-03 02:31:44

also i wonder if in the year 2025 when my son is out of school if there will be more jobs? how the economy will be then? i think i can survive being bored for 9 more years. i just wish i could get paid to do what i got certified for, computer desktop repair and maintenance. or should i go the linux route? i'm not a programmer can't do python or c and stuff but i can install talking arch from scratch i did that before awhile back. so if i can install talking arch i should with training be able to admin a linux server. wonder how much that pays? if at all? or is windows server more popular? oh well I'm bored back to watching tv i guess for now.

2016-05-03 02:43:56

oops i wanted to post a poll asking how many of you guys out there are bored and wish you had $40000 a year jobs? but i see no poll option now that i made the post oh well. i'm glad we have various audio games tv and radio. keeps me occupied. still wish i had a good $40000 or so job. i also hope i will be able to manage to save the $500 for the orbit reader 20 braille display when it comes out. Now I'm hungry for pizza.

2016-05-03 03:18:02

and speaking of pizza, how many of you eat the crust? if its crunchy i usually do. but lots of times i eat some of the crust around the edge of the pizza then throw the rest out. it doesn't get good in the microwave. I also like anchovies on pizza.

2016-05-03 04:52:27

I write that way when I'm in a hurry. in professional writing I take my time and write more, well, professionally.

2016-05-03 05:01:12

Sure but this is also an audio games form. No offence this is not a university paper which I just wrote 2 in the last day, and so many that my head is starting to ache. When I am doing things for leisure you can bet the grammar is not up to par and the spelling for that matter to. Yeesh I hate grammar and spelling. To quote one of my friends. "If spelling was a currency I'd surely starve!" Still you are not likely to see anyone writing an APA formatted form post with citations. You didn't go that far but I'm just saying you can lighten up a bit.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2016-05-03 06:46:06

perhaps

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2016-05-03 06:50:47

I think it's something of a "how you learned to type" thing? When I put my hands on the keyboard, my left pinky always winds up on shift instead of A, but I'm pretty sure keyboarding classes have it as "home row, always."
The errors I make if I'm in too big a hurry to proofread seem to involve Ts and Ss winding up in the wrong spots, spaces swapped with the last letter of words, and double-capitals at the start of sentences (especially if it starts with a "the" word.). I originally typed the "to" in the first sentence of this post as "ot". Haven't spotted any "hte"s yet. Those things are vicious.
So, yeah, I think it's one of those ingrained habit type things.

As for jobs? The available jobs compared to the education people are getting are kinda lopsided, and there's this culture clash between the long-time employers and the post-1980 generation, and gaaaaah. Suffice it to say, everyone's getting the rough end of it, and being in a sticky place already does us no favors in the rat-race.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2016-05-03 09:07:40

@Wanderer, while I take your point on writing and understand what you were attempting, when a person is expressing a huge level of disatisfaction with their life, picking at their writing and saying "It's your fault for not writing better" is not exactly the most tactful of things to do. Whatever else, joshknnd1982 is planely not in a good place right now. Plus of course, how a person writes on a web forum is not in any way indicative of how they would fill in an application for a job or write another formal document, (I can assure you my doctoral thesis gets far more checks for gramar, spelling, spacing, and even basic sentence structure than anything I just dash off hear, indeed philosophy papers particularly are extremely strictly marked on such matters).

As to Jobs, well my first question whenever someone says "I want a job!" is "why?" There is a culture (particularly in the Usa but not unknown in Britain), that a person's self worth, even standing as a human being is based on what they are paid, irrispective of what else they do or whether in fact they are being paid fairly or doing something that justifies their tallents.

I know a blind chap who very much wanted a job and got one. He now spends five days a week working 9-5 at a call center. Because he spends so much more energy and extended time working he literally does nothing else with his life. He just sits at his desk all day answering enquiries on the phone, then has a complex commute back, then arrives at six in the evening absolutely shattered and not able to do more than answer his e-mail before crashing at 9 pm. Weekends he spends at home, he sees nobody, has no friends or other interests, he literally just works and sleeps, heck he doesn't even get much chance to prophet from what money he does make (and not much of that sinse it's hardly a highly paid job).

His basic skills like cooking and mobility are pretty bad, sinse he just doesn't have time to learn. Yet empty as his life is, he has a job! he makes some share holders just a little bit richer each and every day, wooo hoo!

Of course he, like a lot of disabled people would be better off working part time, however the government provides no provision for that, sinse the government doesn't acknolidge that being disabled things take different amounts of effort.

Would people who want "A job" be happier with a life like my friend? methinks not.

It often strikes me that people who want "A job" and complain about boardom are more concerned about having some sort of meaning or something worthwhile in their lives, not necessarily getting paid, however that doesn't have to come from a job, indeed given the difficulties of getting any job, much less the even larger difficulties of getting an actually satisfying job, much less the even huger difficulties of getting a job that lets a blind person actually have some sort of life given the energy needed to do that job, I suspect even if someone got a job it wouldn't really solve the disatisfaction anyway.

Personally, I view the fact that I don't! have to go off and do something entirely pointless that just makes money for some share holders somewhere as about the only bennifit of having a disability. I'd feel like a total scuzbag if I did! just sit around and play audiogames and read all day, however I've found much more worth while things I can be doing that do! contribute far more to the good of those around me but don't involve making a coorporation a bit richer.

Working for this site, working on my doctorate (which I'll be finished with soon), writing book reviews, singing and performing on stage, indeed I'll probably be studdying performing arts next year just for fun.
I'd therefore advise anyone who is feeling very disatisfied with their life to look around for worthwhile things to do. Do some volunteer work, get involved with different things, whatever takes your fancy. Don't assume that just because the collective says "everyone should be measured financially" that the collective is telling the truth, heck just look around and you'll see plenty of people with empty, unsatisfying lives who have! jobs, indeed the way the collective values people only according to accumulate fnancially is actually extremely bad for everyone, (accept of course Donald trump and his ilk).

The Collective doesn't care much about anyone, so go and tell the collective to take a running jump, after allwhat right has "The collective" to determine a person's worth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-05-03 10:49:08

Josh, I do realise how some people choose different styles of writing depending on the audience of their writing. However, it is inappropriate and very unprofessional to write a sentence like this on a job application: i am verry qualified for this job bicos im inteligent never arrive at work l8 and am frendli.

If you cannot proofread your work because you cannot afford a braille display (and I thought that rehabilitation agencies paid for them?), I was under the impression that the Hadley Institute for the Blind and Visually Impaired offered a course teaching listening skills to pick up on spelling and grammar errors, though I may be incorrect about this. The American Foundation for the Blind has several resources on the CareerConnect part of their website to assist job-seekers. Don't think that because your life is on a bad course that it cannot be reversed and made better. Whether you want to return to university or take any of the numerous courses available on the Internet, there are many jobs waiting for you--you just need to find them.

As for TVIs, they are "teachers" and not necessarily transcribers. Their goal of teaching you should have ended when you left school; if you think that there are still things that you ought to learn, then you should probably attend any one of the blindness centres to learn good blindness skills.

Look forward to the future. Get out into the world and enjoy life.

2016-05-03 10:55:12 (edited by CAE_Jones 2016-05-03 10:58:05)

[edit: was replying to Dark, it took... a while.]
You know? I would have agreed with that 100% 10 years ago, and to the abyss with the Capitalist interpretation of the Puritan work ethic.
So, OK, still to the abyss with the Capitalist interpretation of the Puritan work ethic, but Great Gatsby does going a week at a time without human contact and a 23.¾h sleep schedule wreck one's ability to do any of that stuff I was planning to do. Which was largely "write, research, compose, code, design, build... just create and discover in general"-type things. There was a something-something-physics in there at one point, but that didn't ... ah... happen.
(Oh, poo, it doesn't recognize the ¾ as a number, so it doesn't read the h as hours. *Adds "learn how to contribute to NVDA and comprehend Formant synthesis" to the list of things that should have done 10 years ago* ... Also that sleep schedule kinda broke in the past couple weeks for reasons mysterious.)

I kinda feel like the problem is that there is a time limit that no one ever mentions before it runs out. Miss any of the important skills / opportunities / support system-building in that window where you're expected to be too immature to do certain things but still make a major financial decision in the name of "education"... miss that window, and if the deck wasn't already stacked against you, it certainly will be. How many people have turned their lives around dramatically after their third decade? And that's a generous expansion of the window, IMO.

To tell the truth, I'm not feeling especially great about going to LCB. But as nothing else has helped, I'm kinda out of options.

(And then Loki spake, saying "Thou knowst what would increase the torments in which introverts in an extrovert-favoring society abide? Verily, blindness and spoilage, for in what manner shall they work, save in hourly consultation with strangers? For spoilage strangles their skills in the cradle, and blindness robs them of the axe and favor among the lords of men.")

I know letters and music and Java and Python,
Languages Judo and tricks to fake vision,
But do you recall...
The sole greatest talent of all?

(I am not having any luck getting any synonyms... or antonyms for that matter, of conscientiousness / "G" / Executive Function / Diligence / Will power / Focus... OK, I guess Focus fits the rhythm, but it feels like it misses a ton of important nuance. -_- this is what I get for not rereading Tolkien for so long.)
(*adds "finish that attempted rant-in-the-form-of-a-Christmas-song-parody" to the list of things to do* ... *If everything on that list takes an average of 10 weeks to complete, it will take 20 years, which would be slightly less daunting had the past 10 years been half of said 20 years.*)

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2016-05-03 11:50:09

@Tjt, Interestingly enough, despite engaging for years with a highly academic subject and being heavily involved with writing I've never used or had the need for a braille display. I imagine I could probably use one (albeit mostly for playing roguelikes), however the financial cost has always been prohibitive. My education grant bought me my supernova license originally and paying for upgrades from then on hasn't been an issue, indeed these days with vo on mac and Nvda a windows option actual equipment purchice is far less necessary than it used to be, for all services like mobility training and research assistance are still needed.

I'm not sure about the states but I'm less convinced of the "there are jobs out there" arguement, much less jobs that actually give any sort of real satisfaction to life, not unless a person has a very specific career path in mind as a solicitor, doctor, councillor, teacher engineer, or something that basically automatically comes with it's own level of interlectual stimulation.
Even then, the chances of actually finding an employer willing to employ a disabled person are very, very small, it took my brother fourteen years of sending out literally two hundred cvs a month and even then he only got a job because my dad was a character witness in a trial and talked to the solicitor in charge.

@Cae, The collectives valuation system has nothing to do either with self care, good personal routine or anything else, though sadly it does have rather too much to do with the basic isolation of being blind and the problems of being an intravert, not to mention more serious ones.

The latter there isn't a lot that can be done, but the former there is, eg, getting up at a reasonable time, exercising, making sure to get things done in a consistant fashion etc, then again I'm probably not the best exponent of this. I'll also say, one thing that helps hugey is living with and sharing my life with a fellow intravert, albeit one who is a little less myssanthropic than I am, though perhaps slightly more prone to book related time lapse, if not to actual depression.

In the Uk at least it's quite possible to start general courses in most anything if not actual degrees, which is one thing I do plan to keep going sinse I know for me if I am not learning and engaging the brain I'm stagnating (and I've had far too much of that over the last ten years), likewise voluntary jobs and positions that do! involve doing something useful.

It's also a matter of knowing one's own strengths. I know myself the two things I am vaguely good at and that I will take time to do are singing and writing. I will certainly continue to look for opportunities to do both in my life, and if I can do either or both professionally, ie, get paid and recognized that'd be cool. If not, well I still get to do them anyway, and heck I'm even likely to actually finish my doctorate at this point which will probably help.

As to whether one has ever changed life after the third decade, short answer, yes, indeed partly because of many interlectual's increasing dissatisfaction with the collective's treatment of the individual, it's remarkable how many people are! extending the period of instability before a perminant career or changing what they do entirely when the initial soacial expectations of the collective become too much, though it often involves things that are a little drastic or finding social groups and activities that mean more than the traditional "go out with mates from work" kind of approach that the collective still believes as the social ideal, (My brother has lots of whacky friends in his anime society who do this).

Of course I freely admit I've been lucky in terms of drive, energy and everything else in finding my soulmate, extremely! lucky, though it does very much change my perspective when I consider just how much things have changed for me in how short a time, albeit due to a series of coincidences and circumstances so profoundly unlikely it's actually made me rethink my beliefs about the divine.

Either way, nothing changes how one thinks about life quite as much as the prospect of impending mariage big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-05-03 11:57:20

There are many people who work very well without a braille display, but they can be convenient to have if you can afford them or get the necessary financial assistance if not.

Even volunteering is a form of work, and that can lead to paid work.

2016-05-03 14:42:11

check out

http://www.aph.org/orbit-reader-20/

This is the braille display I am saving money to afford. I was told it will cost brand new around $500. I read and write braille and I would use it every day. Personally in the united states at least I think there should be laws in place and people to make sure such laws are enforced. I am talking about laws which prohibit families from sheltering their blind children as if they are two-year-olds for their whole lives. Sheltering a child does absolutely nothing for them. I'm not sheltered but the person I married I found out too little too late had been extremely sheltered. When her family tried sheltering me and treating me like a mental patient I resisted and fought them by going to school and getting more education. They did not like that so they used the law and courts to kick me out of their lives and out of my wife's life. So I lost the only job I could have had. I am so happy that my 9 year old son is sighted and can see. He will be able to get whatever job he wants. He will be able to have a good life. I take very good care of him and he gets excellent grades in school. He is very smart. He is also unique because he gets to see an example of a blind person who is not sheltered... That is me... And an example of how not to raise blind people... And An example of continual extreme sheltering... His Mom's family who continually shelter and baby her... I provide the best example I can. I fix computers for $20 or $30 here and there once in awhile for people around town. I also fix his and mine when they break. I wish trains and busses ran through this town like they did 60 or 70 years ago. That way I could get to the two major cities in my county. I would have lots more to do then. I am confident I will be able to save up the $500 for the orbit reader20. I am putting $60 or so away each month. One or two months I will be able to put $200 or so in the braille display fund envelope. I look forward to having a durable braille display that will be affordable. Perhaps somehow it will also lead to a good paying job and to gainful employment.

2016-05-03 17:08:24

Hey have any of you guys seen the Star Wars droid tales tv show? its really funny. you can watch it on the kissCartoon website.

2016-05-03 17:10:11

Yes, I decided to change the subject to a more general one in the off topic forum because I strayed into topics such as food, and other things. Also I find the Tubio app with the ShinePlus screen reader on android works good and lets me airplay stuff using my blu energy x 8mp camera phone to my apple tv. I can airplay web videos and local videos as well. It's fun.

2016-05-03 17:29:42

I had a job handling end user tech support for Dell back in 2006 before the economy world-wide decided to hit the dirt. Dell, being a US company and a tech company to boot, knew it was about to be rocked hardcore, so took my job and several others and sent them overseas in 2008. I was still hugely qualified, and people were still calling me for interviews, but the economy was on its way down and everyone knew it. I stopped getting callbacks in 2011 or 2012. Not because I stopped being qualified, but because the economy as a whole was at rock bottom then and just about no one who didn't absolutely need to fill a hole was hiring. My last interview was in 2012, and I knew it wasn't going anywhere before I made it back outside. My blindness had nothing to do with it. So in 2013, I started the process to send me back to school - where I'm starting my final semester in a computer systems tech program in September. Throughout that process, I learned a few things very quickly.

thing the first, and related specificly to part of what I think the OP was hinting at: If you don't use it, you *will* lose it. A+ certifications in particular are changing. The A+ cert I go for, assuming I decide to take that route and not the CCNA route, is not the same certification you took 5 or 6 years ago. If you don't renew it every I think it's 3 years, then you are no longer certified and companies will prefer people who are over you whether you're blind or not. It doesn't matter if you can swap out a hard drive in 15 seconds and not leave anything out of place. If it's not on paper, you might as well not have the ability. I can run a Linux server with the best of them, and have on my own personal time for years. but because I haven't done it professionally, and have nothing on paper that says I'm qualified to do it, I can't walk into a job interview and tell them I'm a Linux admin if I expect it to actually get me anywhere. There's an expression we used to use when I was doing the tech support thing. Documentation or it didn't happen. If you call me and say someone did this, this, this and this for you, I'm going to take a look at their documentation. If the person you're talking about didn't put down that they did this, this, this and this for you, then so far as I'm concerned no they didn't. People in HR use the same mentality. If you're going to say you're A+ certified, expect them to want a copy of the certification. If you say you're a Microsoft Windows engineer, expect them to call Microsoft. And if you say you're a qualified Linux admin, expect them to want phone numbers, email addresses and the like for just about every person you've installed, fixed or ran a Linux server for - after you've explained to them what the hell Linux is.

Thing the second: Colleges are not there to make you succeed. They're there to give you the option. One of my professors put it best my first day in this program. "I get paid," he said, "whether you show up and do the work or not. You can choose to slack off, miss every second class, half-ass the work and probably end up taking it next semester, or you can show up, ask for help, show me you know what you're doing, and rock the course. The choice is yours, Make the right one and I can help you. Make the wrong one and you're on your own. Also I'll see you next semester." To me, that pretty much summarizes college life in general. You're expected by the time you get there to be able to stand on your own two feet, relatively and proverbially speaking. By the time you've graduated high school, you know the kind of education supports that work for you. The college or university isn't going to hold your hand and guide you through the process. You got yourself this far, get yourself the rest of the way and we'll meet you.

Thing the third: Speak up, dammit. Related partly to my point above, only you know what exact supports will work for your education. If you need books in an accessible format (be they electronic or, god forbid, braille), it's up to you to say so. Your college/university has got to have something that vaguely resembles a disability services department. Get on them. Be in regular contact with your profs - preferably before the semester even starts. In short, speak up. When I first started with the program, every prof I talked to was more than a little nervous about having a blind student. It wasn't even because of the blindness, per say. I knew exactly what I was doing and every single one of them knew it. But a blind student had gone through this program before me, and ended up flaming out rather spectacularly. Why? Because he absolutely would not speak up. He assumed, because he was registered with disability services, that materials would be provided to him in an accessible format just on basic principle. He assumed the default attitude would be to adapt circumstances to fit him, rather than adapt him to fit the circumstances. Because that was precisely how things had gone on while he was in high school. For that reason, I don't even think he got out of second semester if he even made it that far. And the end result left a bad taste in the professors' mouthes that I had to clean out. Now I'm sitting here with one semester left and in relatively good position, if I play my cards right, to take an additional program in cybersecurity. And now these profs know what a blind person is capable of if he decides he wants to.

And thing the last: Seriously? Never in my life have I heard of someone using a TVI or equivalent in a college/university setting. Not even maybe. I barely used a T.A. most of my time spent in high school - her only real involvement was transcribing my brailled work so teachers could see/mark it, and brailling handouts/assignments teachers were giving out that weren't already in whatever textbook we were using (this was back when it took a special kind of something for a blind person to own both a computer and a regular printer). For the transcription to braille or electronic material now, there's an entire department that handles that - as there should be, as I'm hardly the only blind person who either is attending or has attended that college. On top of that, it's 2016. there's no reasonable excuse why textbooks and other assorted materials can't already be in at least an electronic format, if not an accessible one. If a college in Canada, who doesn't have anything like an ADA to slap people with, can get that, then your people have no excuse.

Long story short: No one owes you an education. No one owes you a job. If you want one or both, then put yourself out there. speak up. Yes, it's cliche, but no one's going to advocate for you except you. You're a fully grown adult. If you want to be seen as one, open your mouth. Do that, and keep the skills you actually plan on using up to date, and there's no reason (*) why you shouldn't be able to land yourself a job that will at least provide you with a paycheck if not an endless fountain of enjoyment. And for the record, I had the 40000/year job. I also had time to enjoy it - or, at least, as much time to enjoy it as anyone else with a job, anyway. And I'd do it all again if given half a chance.

(*): There's no reason for not finding a job, except for perhaps living in the middle of nowhere. If the small town you're living in is anything like the one my parents call home, and it sounds like it is, you shouldn't be too surprised the jobs are few and far between. I moved out of that small town specificly because I didn't want to spend my life working retail, or waiting tables, which was pretty much the only thing on offer on a regular basis.

2016-05-03 18:07:06

but i did not get myself that far. through elementary middle and high school i did the work. but i had a vision  teacher who 1. transcribed braille to print. 2. prepared all my books so when i got to class i could focus on the work. 3. made sure all work was accessible and in an accessible format ahead of time. they did not teach me how to do this on my own. not really. when i went to college i spent hours and hours scanning books into the computer. foreign language books as spanish was my major and hoping the machine scanned it right. and then after putting forth a huge effort to try and make the stuff accessible. i had to sit down and read it. oh and if the computer misrecognises text? oh well too bad. you fail. now lets contrast that with sighted folks. they go to college. no scanning for hours and hours. they pick up their books and read them. If I ever go back to college I will study to be a teacher of the visually impaired. then in my classes i will be surrounded with folks who can help me out and who will gain experience from helping to make stuff accessible if needed. I wish there were TVI's in colleges for blind folks. scanning books for hours and hours back in 2002. not fun. and it burnt me out and after that I did not feel like doing the work because I had just spent hours and hours doing my best to put the work in a somewhat accessible format. When I go to school I want to focus on doing the work and passing. I do not want to worry about is this accessible? or is it not accessible? how will I make this or that material accessible? No let that to the TVI. 4 year universities do have disabilities office. But there is no standard among them. I did my best work at Lions world services for the Blind. Everything was pre-made and accessible. No scanning. No figuring out how to make this or that accessible before I did the work. And as a result I focused only on doing the classwork and passed with excellent grades.

2016-05-03 18:26:46 (edited by quanin 2016-05-03 18:27:58)

So because you had your hand held in high school, you think you should be entitled to have your hand held in college. Remind me again why you think you'll survive professionally? the rules for employment are exactly the same, with perhaps very small differences, as the rules for postsecondary education. You are going to be given material. that material is probably not going to be by default adapted to you, particularly if you don't speak up in advance and say you require it that way. You don't get a TVI in college, and you certainly don't get an equivalent if you ever actually land a job. That you're not capable of surviving without one is the fault of the TVI you had for not actually teaching you how to function as a visually impaired person. Your choices now are to learn how or make the best of what you've got. If I were you, I'd choose that first one.

2016-05-03 18:34:36

No there is yet another choice. I could only choose jobs offered by national industries for the blind. That is how I got the job in Louisiana I looked on the national industries for the blind website. And I successfully found a job until the opportunity was ruined by my wife's family. I applied for many mainstream jobs before sometimes I got interviewed, but they never called back and never were intrested in hiring me. I think my best bet will be the national industries for the blind places.

2016-05-03 18:37:33

Well, sure, if you don't mind being paid significantly less than someone sighted for exactly the same job because blindness organization. But then, that's why entire cities push their blind population that way...

2016-05-03 18:54:13

the blind organization was gunna pay me around $35000 per year.

2016-05-03 19:12:12

*writes 8KB response, cuts it when it devolves into misanthropic screaming*
I keep trying to say something, and it keeps coming out as an unyielding torrent of negativity.
Well, that was an hour wasted.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2016-05-03 19:18:52

Also the TVI does not have a lot of time to spend preparing students for college maybe one or two hours per week. not a lot. even so I'm glad I got the education I got. It was quite helpful in getting my job with the national industries for the blind place even if it was ruined by outside sources.