2016-05-02 22:20:26

Hello everyone,
Today I upgraded from windows 8.1 to windows 10. The process took some time, and when the new windows came on, I couldn't manage to start jaws. I headed over to my USB drive where I had the jaws setup file in hopes of repairing it, but no success. Then, I uninstalled jaws, but it didn't want to go away completely. After many attempts, I ended up using a third-party uninstaller to forcely remove jaws and its components. Well done! It got removed from everywhere where freedom scientific placed files. But here is where the weirdness takes place. I tried to run Jaws setup package and it went up to 50%, then, a message popped up saying that "a DLL component is missing. The setup will now close." No further explanation was given. I attempted to instal both jaws 16 and 17, but I couldn't find the way to do it. Note that this is a legal setup package downloaded from freedom scientific and not a pirated one. On the other hand, NVDA works hopefully well, but I cannot put up with its slowness on both windows explorer and microsoft word.
If anyone of you could take a little time to help me on this vastly strange issue, I would wholeheartedly appreciate it. Is there anything I should install like any update or driver that is missing?
Cheers!

2016-05-02 23:35:10

that is very strange. I installed JAWS 17 fine on this windows 10 PC that was upgraded from 8.1. Maybe try installing winkit? I don't know. Have you talked to FS about this?

2016-05-03 00:15:42

Hi.
Well role back to win 8.1
uninstall jaws which is what you should have done, upgrade and then reinstall it again.
Or do a reset on the system and reinstall jaws.

2016-05-03 01:11:53

Do you have a live Internet connection while installing JAWS? If not, according to Freedom Scientific, you'll need to download and install their Convenient OCR package first.

You can get it here:
ftp://ftp.freedomscientific.com/users/h … 851ENU.exe

Also, in case you haven't read it, they have a link to information about upgrading to Windows 10.

Here is the Windows 10 upgrade page:
http://www.freedomscientific.com/suppor … s10Upgrade

hth

2016-05-03 08:19:03

Hello, thank you for your answers and your help. It seems that the best way to fix this problem is to reset the system and try installing jaws again. If it will not work again, I may be forced to make a fresh, clean installation of windows 10. I have a stable internet connection during jaws installation process by the way.
Cheers

2016-05-03 12:19:12

Hi afrim!
there are so many experts here maybe I am wrong or right I don't know.
it seems that your third party software removes the dll file and now the windows cannot able to install it.
to fix this, update your system and check if there malware or any programmes is blocking. try c cleaner and install JAWS in a safe mode with the help of any sited friend.
Thanks
Ishan

life's battle do not always go to the stronger and faster man,
But sooner or later who win the one who thinks he can!

2016-05-03 12:42:45

Hi,
Point is that the dll file was missing before I removed jaws through that uninstaller
Cheers

2016-05-03 14:29:08

Does the JAWS installer ever tell you the missing DLL's name? With that, you could determine what the DLL is for, which might provide a clue to how to fix it.

2016-05-03 14:37:19

Unfortunately, no. It just says that the process will now close. Anyway, I'm getting ready to reset it.

2016-05-04 16:53:21

Oh yeah, I forgot, including the missing DLL's name would make too much sense, and we can't expect Microsoft to break with tradition and show some intelligence for a change.

Unfortunatly Freedom Scientific uses Microsoft's Windows Installer, which has got to be the slowest and buggiest installer on the planet.

2016-05-04 17:53:54

Hello,
I formatted the laptop last night and now I have a clean, fresh copy of windows 10. I managed to install jaws without any barriers this time.
It's working well.

2016-05-05 15:59:10

Well, such a strange issue. weird. but anyways, glad to know it worked for you again.

2016-05-05 16:20:15

Hooray! Having to reinstall Windows is always a royal pain in the butt, but at least you have it working now.

2016-05-05 16:38:16

Hi, I can tell you for one thing, if you clean install windows 10, it will act a lot better, and I do mean a lot better. IT fixes stuff with NVDA and slowness I experienced as well. But yeah, usually you don't get DLL complaints during installation, its usually after, when you go to start the program. That is strange indeed, I suspect a clean install of win 10 will fix this issue and I advise strongly of doing so, not just because of that, because it cleans things up, I never did like upgrades. And, you donn't have to worry about your win 10 and keys and stuff, so long as its activated now, it will be actiated when you clean install, MS uses server based activation. You will see it asking for a key 2 times during the installation process, you can click skip twice and once it is finished, it willbecome activated for you without you having to do anything extra.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2016-05-05 18:10:15

Yess, hopefully it is working, and it is working very well. I have to be honest with you that NVDA is working in its best ability and such speed and reliability I have never seen on NVDA, honestly. The clean copy resolved a lot of issues that I was facing. If it was for that satisfaction I was experiencing when I upgraded, I would truly never upgrade to windows 10. But hopefully it is as different as chalk and cheese now.

2016-12-29 06:05:14

Here I have an issue. When I try to install jaws 18 64 bit, I got an error message saying that the Setup could not install the required component runtime Jaws. After that, the process is closed. What can I do to fix it?

2016-12-29 09:33:48

Can you give us some more hints on the situation of your computer please? So that we can know how to reproduce your issue.
When did this happen, after upgrading, after fresh installation, or it just happened randomly when you installed jaws

2016-12-29 09:46:16

Ahoy there
Perhaps check on the video/graphics drivers although I wouldn't recommend mucking about with those much because doing anything with them such as uninstalling can have, not so fun affects on your machine.
Try another version of jaws see if you are able to install that, and it does look like Many people are experiencing this issue with no resolution but for a clean install of the OS which you've gotta admit is quite drastic just for a screenreader component missing, to which FS should have come up with something by now.
The reason I say this is This kind of issue has been encountered by quite a few people in the past several months that I have seen of.

Oh and, jaws can be installed without the onmy OCR package( which downloads really slow btw) you just won't have the OCR functionality if you choose to do it without it.
grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2016-12-29 15:47:17

I have a Windows 8.1 64 bit. I was using the jaws 17, but uninstalled it to try installing 18.

2016-12-30 00:35:23

Install JAWS 17 Again, and Uninstall it once more, but deleting everything, shared components, user settings and other related files.
Usually JAWS delets them automatically, but who knows.
Also, during the process of installing JAWS 18, open or change settings on Windows update if you haven't done already.

2016-12-30 06:38:25

I did, Installed jaws 17 again, uninstalled it removing all shared components and user settings, installed all available updates on windows update... After that, I've tried installing Jaws 18, but got the same issue. What can I do now?

Thanks!

2016-12-30 12:00:23

Have you tried running the setup as an Administrator? It sounds as weird as my problem which I have described in the beginning of this topic

2016-12-30 16:30:35

Yeah, i did. I always run it as an administrator.

2016-12-31 12:06:11 (edited by Socheat 2016-12-31 12:06:41)

Well, Maybe a factory reset would help you some how? I don't know if it works or not, but if you don't want to reinstall windows from scratch, the best way to do it is a factory reset.