2016-05-02 19:41:35 (edited by blindncool 2016-05-02 19:44:28)

Hi. Subject says it all. I'm finally considering upgrading to OS X 10.11. Should I upgrade, or not?

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2016-05-02 21:21:09

Yes, I totally recommend the upgrade. I've been using El Capitan since beta stages, and it works great. Are you currently on Yosemite?  If so, El Capitan beets it by a long shot.  Of course it has bugs, that's to be expected with software. It's never going to be perfection

2016-05-02 23:24:21

I personally advise against it. There are still some maddening bugs which are clearly never going to get fixed, and although there are substantial improvements too, the only one you're really going to notice is responsiveness. Certainly, if you use activities, do not upgrade.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-05-03 03:22:57

What machine are you working with? The specifications definitely play a big role in this I believe.

2016-05-03 03:32:23

My machine is a mid 2012 MacBook Pro, with a 2.5 GHZ Intel core I5. It has 4 Gb of ram, and a 256 GB hard drive. It's running OS X version 10.10.5.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2016-05-03 03:38:09

OK, my Mac is mid 2012, eight GB of RAM, and a 256 GB SSD.  El Capitan will give you speed improvements if that's what you're looking for, but there are some really annoying bugs that I wish weren't there. It's not bad, but  it's not the most amazing experience I've ever seen on Mac OS.

2016-05-03 03:57:45

If you have the skill for it, dupe your existing machine onto a backup drive and then try both upgrading and then clean-installing. A lot of reports seem to say that a clean install followed by a NVRAM reset is likely to give you the smoothest experience that can be had with El Crap--er, El Cap.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-05-03 04:00:45

Elcrap? What issues have you noticed?  Don't get me wrong, I've noticed them as well. Just always choose to stay on the latest version for compatibility reasons.

2016-05-03 06:17:13

My biggest and most infuriating gripes are the loss of activities and hotspots in VoiceOver and the glitchy networking which means that one in every ten web page loads simply won't start. I've no doubt there are other issues too, but all I know about them is that I remember seeing them there in El Cap and being relieved when they weren't on Yosemite. Oh yeah, text editing in Safari and the way that web views don't load properly are others; just try opening the App Store to see that one.

It's a shame but Apple's attention to detail just isn't there any more and I sincerely wish they'd stop with this creeping featuritis and get back to doing another Snow Leopard: all stability, no new features, and an earnest commitment to making the experience as smooth and delightful as they possibly can. Of course when iOS is selling ten times (and more) more units this is a faint hope. WWDC is nearly upon us and I shall be very interested to see what OS X--no, sorry, "macOS"--brings to the table.

Just myself, as usual.