2016-05-01 04:33:23 (edited by Locutus 2016-05-01 04:33:52)

Hi folks,

Have a question for you all. For the past ten years or so now I've used Winamp as my primary media player for pretty much everything. However, I've recently begun to wonder if it might be time to switch over to something else. To that end, my next choice would be VLC Media Player, which seems to be able to handle pretty much any media format I can throw at it and then some. Thing is though, while I can do basic operations with it, a lot of the interface seems to be inaccessible, at least with Jaws. Does anyone have significant experience using this player? If so, is there a way to make the UI more Jaws-friendly? For example, I don't seem to be able to have nearly as fine a control of seeking with VLC as I do with Winamp, and when I tried the go to time option, I couldn't make heads nor tails of it.

Any help would be appreciated... Including someone telling me that it can't be done. That way I can stop fiddling with it and go back to Winamp.

Thanks in advance.

Best, Albano.

I am Locutus of Borg. Resistance, is futile. Your life, as it has been, is over. From this time forward, you will service---us.

2016-05-01 05:34:57

Hi Locutus.
My advice is stick with winamp. I never did have luck with vlc the few times I tried to convert video to audio was a big waste of time and nvda didn't work well with vlc neither did jaws. Even though winamp has been discontinued it's still very user friendly.
Hth.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2016-05-01 08:10:50

Hey Albano.
For a long time I used Winamp for playing my music playlist and VLC for playing one off files.
About a year ago I tried Foobar2000 and have been really happy with it, so now I use that instead of Winamp.
Considering I'd been using Winamp for at least 15 years, it is impressive that Foobar2000 got me to switch.

I still use VLC, but just for one off files.  As you've noted it doesn't give quite the control you might want.
I do like it for raising the playback speed of podcasts, and because having it associated with media files ensures I never accidentally kill my Foobar2000 playlist.
In VLC for seeking back and forward you can try shift left, shift right, control left, and control right.
Control consistently moves you by about a minute, and shift by about 3 or 4 seconds.
Alt plus the arrow keys usually moves you by 10 seconds, but it is not consistent.
I use NVDA and use object navigation to review the elapsed and total time.
To do that I navigate down then right then down to get to elapsed, then percent complete is right of that and total time is right of that.

Sorry this isn't more helpful since I am using NVDA instead of JAWS.
But if you're just looking for a new media player and it doesn't need to be VLC, consider Foobar2000.
It lets you configure all the shortcut keys, including system wide short cut keys, so for instance I can hit a key combo to make Foobar2000 the active window, regardless of what application I was in.
Then I can set up hot keys for seeking forward and back by amounts that I like, generally 5 seconds and 1 minute depending on what I am listening to.
It is also portable, which is why I tried it in the first place, so I could take it to University computers on a USB drive and play my music with my customized shortcuts without needing to install anything.
All that said, YMMV, just my 2 cents.

~ Ian Reed
Visit BlindGamers.com to rate blind accessible games and see how others have rated them.
Try my free JGT addon, the easy way to play Japanese games in English.
Or try the free games I've created.

2016-05-01 09:37:19

Hello Locutus,
VLC media player is not such inaccesible as you think. The only problem I find on there is the volume up and down command which goes by ctrl+up or down arrow. This command is filled by another command of jaws, which is reading the last or the next paragraph. Except for this, nothing is bad on VLC media player. However, if you have a desktop computer with a mouse, you can change the volume like you do on winamp. The best way would be to change this shortcut to up and down only, but I am not sure how to do it so far.
Hope it helps a little. If I manage to change the shortcut of volume sliders, I will comment again.

Other useful shortcuts: N: go to the next track, P: go to the previous track, Space: pause/play the track, [ or ] decrease or increase the spead of the track, equals: set the spead of track to normal.
If winamp works still well for you, I'd advise you not to go for another media player.

2016-05-01 11:08:38

Doesn't anyone use the bypass command?

The bypass command will simply make the next keystroke being pressed to be handled by the application, in this case, VLC media player.

I'm surprised jaws thinks you're trying to move by paragraph, even when in VLC.

I have an older version of jaws here, so I'm not sure of the newer versions.

I do know, that when I used it, it never treated the volume controls like that.

I just tried it using jaws 15, and to use the volume keystrokes, you need to use the bypass command, which use to be inscert + 3, that's 3 on the numbers row.

2016-05-01 18:15:57

You do indeed need to use the bypass command for VLC to work with JAWs and volume controlls. I love VLC, and I use it almost excusively for video... audio for me is still winamp, I've yet to find something that beats winamp in terms of ease of use and simplicity. But I always use VLC for videos, especially movies or TV shows with multiple language tracks.

Discord: clemchowder633

2016-05-01 18:27:14

I also use Foobar2000 as my player of choice on Windows. Although, as far as I know, it only plays audio files, not video. Not really a problem for me, though, since I almost never play video files. I do occasionally download Youtube videos under Linux, but I save them as opus files using youtube-dl.
Before Foobar2000, I also used Winamp. I have tried VLC, and it didn't seem all that usable to me, but it's cool that some people have been able to get it working.

2016-05-01 21:53:58

well, we're here again, and I took some time to work with VLC. Now, I modifyed the hotkeys of volume buttons to my preference and I'll show you how to do it.
When you open VLC media player, either on desktop or through a video or audio track, press ctrl+p to open preferences menu. Then, press tab until you hear interface. checked. Press right arrow till you find hotkeys. checked, and after that press tab. You will have to press tab twice to jump to a combo box which says something like "any fields". Move with down arrow and select global hotkeys. Press tab, and you will be presented with a treeview showing all the hotkeys/shortcuts of VLC. First of all, for your convenience, find "short backward and forward jump" and put a key, or a combination of keys. Now listen, be very attentive here. You should activate touch cursor if you are using jaws to accomplish what I'm saying. Anyway, when you find short backward jump, press enter on it. Note: you will not hear any kind of feedback from jaws. All you need to do is to press the key or the combination of keys that you'd like to carry out the function of jumping backward 3 seconds. I would advise you to choose left arrow for "short backward jump" and right arrow for "short forward jump" since it is really simple for you. After you have pressed the key you wanted for this shortcut, activate the touch cursor mode (if you need help in activating and using the touch cursor, please let me know). Use right arrow or tab to have a look at what you have on the current window, and what you need to find is assign button. After you have found assign, you will be back to that treeview with the list of shortcuts, and now find volume up and volume down. For each hotkey, assign up and down arrow respectively by folllowing the same procedure I told you above. Click save. and now you don't need to use the bypass function or anything else like that.
Hope it helps.
Cheers!

2016-05-02 02:13:45

Thanks so much for your thoughts, folks. This key assignments procedure might just make the difference here. Looks like some more fiddling is definitely in the works... Although I must say I'm rather amazed, seeing how popular VLC is in the mainstream community nowadays, that no Jaws scripts have been made for it... Perhaps it's not scriptable? Ah well, I'll keep messing with it. Yeah, Winamp is still definitely my preferred player for audio, but it doesn't do quite so well with video...

I am Locutus of Borg. Resistance, is futile. Your life, as it has been, is over. From this time forward, you will service---us.

2016-05-02 08:50:08

Not bashing JAWS users here, but I feel like anyone who is interested in using VLC and fiddling it is probably also part of the group of blind computer users using NVDA, which is, ironically, much more natively accessible with VLC media player. The default set of keys works just fine in my experience, so the only thing I would like to see for screenreader support are more information-related things being spoken like elapsed and remaining time, etc.

Discord: clemchowder633

2016-05-02 09:16:10

Apart from the volume controls,nothing needs scripts over there. You have shortcuts for nearly everything, and jaws or NVDA will read them out.
Jaws handles VLc better because NVDA treats it similarly to as if it were an HTML document. What's more, NVDA does not announce when a checkbox is checked or unchecked.
This occurs at least on both the latest versions of VLC and NVDA respectively.