2016-05-01 03:21:37

So everyone I installed Debian in a vm. During the install I had speech to install the system. I installed grub. When I rebooted into the fresh install I had no speech. I could type commands but had no speech. So did I do something wrong?

Bitcoin Address:
1MeNca7h6m8du4TV3psN4m4X666p6Y36u5m

2016-05-01 16:25:48

Hello,

I've never tried installing Debian, so I can,t really help you right now.
If you can, though, try to make sure the right kernel modules are loading, and that Espeakup (or whatever you're using) is starting up automatically.
I don't remember if Debian uses PulseAudio or just ALSA, but if it uses PulseAudio, that could be the problem as well. Espeakup and Pulse don't work with each other without some tinkering, in my experience.

2016-05-01 16:56:19

Hello,

I am running Debian on my desktop and laptop, and I will try an help. I have a couple questions that might get us closer to a solution. During the install, did you choose a graphical environment, and if so which one? Also, did you check to see if your sound-card is muted.

I am surprised you don't have speech after an install. I have installed Debian on three computers, and the install has worked flawlessly so far.

Best of luck, and let me know if you get it working.

2016-05-03 12:08:35

I did manage to get the server up and running and was able to log in through SSH. Now I'm trying sonar and lost because when I boot into virtualbox there is a blue menu with five options and I don't know witch one to choose.

Bitcoin Address:

2016-05-04 14:35:43

you won't get audio over SSH, at least I never did, I think what you would have to do is install X to go, which, I wish I could help you on that, but I've never done it so I can't.  If you use the VM directly hmm. Well, I've never installed Debian, I have done Ubuntu and arch before though, if Debian comes with speakup, which, I kind of doubt, but if it comes with it, most of the time it will be set up to beep and stuff, so one way to verify speakup is running is to hit backspace on the command line and if it beeps, speakup is running, but something else is wrong. As far as I know, speakup needs 3 things to run, eSpeakup, which is a package that allows interfacing between speakup and eSpeak, speech dispatcher, and speechd-up, which interfaces speech-dispatcher with speakup. If the installation had alsa, you can try alsamixer on the shell, and press up arrow, progressively going through, up arrow a bunch of times, and right then up and up and so on until you hear something. You've got some steps ahead to figure what this is. Speakup itself will always run because the kernel will load the modules at startup, and sooner if you have it patched into the kernel.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2016-05-04 17:08:44

Hello,

Debian comes with speakup. When booting the install disk, you need to hit s at the boot screen to enable speech. After the install, speakup should just work.

2016-05-05 02:01:48

I was able to use putty to connect over ssh. I even installed a package from source.

Bitcoin Address: