2016-06-08 10:27:20

He says that someone else may be taking over the website.

2016-06-08 16:20:03

I uploaded all of the podcasts and programs to http://grossgang.com/braillenote_users_archive/

2016-06-17 01:03:37

Well, I now have the touch. It's only been a day, and I can say it's more worth the money than any braille device on the market. The case is durable. The cover is nylon, with the keyboard magnetically attaching to the screen if you wish to use it. The unit is very responsive. Here's the deal with the Braillenote Touch version of Acapela. You'll have Heather by default, and you can have one secondary voice. However, that secondary voice can be any of the Acapela voices available, except for the special effect voices. So the Braillenote Touch is basically your free license to almost any voice available, with the only tradeoff being that only one second voice can be downloaded. You can always replace that voice, though. You aren't stuck to it once you get it. Of course, you can get the normal Acapela and access your purchased voices from there, and the two will get along.

2016-06-17 01:54:15

Interesting. Sounds good, but will you be using it months for now? Anyway, more reviews like  that coming might just make me want one, even if it is to try to crash it. LOL. The user guide that I listened to did make it sound nice too. Still love to get my hands on one for a little while...

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2016-06-17 04:04:30

I've only had this thing for two days now, and already know I'll be using this for years to come, which is more than can be said of your traditional notetaker. The Apex came out, still with the same obsolete pocket-pc operating system windows ce, just months before voiceover on the iphones improved, and Android accessibility on the horizon. Yeah, it was quick to fall behind. Braille note Touch is so streamlined, that really keeping Android up and running is half the battle.

2016-06-17 04:17:11

Hello,

Here are a few questions and comments I have. First, how much disk space do you get on the unit? I heard it was only about 10 GB of user storage. Second, have you installed TalkBack? What is it like running TalkBack on Humanware's customized interface? While I think this device sounds cool, I just hope the hardware will support future updates to Android. I hope they don't plan to stay on 4.4 forever, or we'll wind up right where we were on the Apex.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2016-06-17 04:37:52 (edited by jack 2016-06-17 04:42:16)

Chriss, firstly. 10gb isn't true, wherever that came from. You get 16gb of internal, removable storage. The unit's hard drive is an sd card. No custom shape, just an sd card, located in the battery cavity. I will ask Humanware tech support to make sure of this, though, but I believe this may actually be the first device with expandable storage! They say don't place the Touch's card in the pc, but first of all, that's because you shouldn't make files with the pc then save it to the card. Second, they say it can cause irreparable damage if you do so, but any android user knows that that's because you could technically have root access with that card in anything but the Touch. The average user could be inadvertantly trying to save a file with their computer on the card, but miscalculate, ending up messing up some of the firmware, thus bricking the device. As there's no downloadable firmware of the device unless you count software updates, unless they've done a complete backup of the card, then, true, it would be irreparable, at least until they got a fresh copy of the firmware. Because, after all, it's only a software brick. But what I'm wondering, is what if you imaged the card, then copied it over to another , larger card, making sure it was formatted under the same filesystem as the Touch's sd card, maybe you could potentially get more storage. I"m not taking any chances till Humanware has beeen contacted on this one, because the last thing I want is to do it all for nothing. As for running talkback, talkback does not work. I tried, and it said unfortunately, talkback has stopped. However I really don't think you'd get far with it. There'd be no braille translation, no keyboard support, nothing like that. When you use explore by touch, you're pretty much getting talkback functions inside keysoft. You can still assign two-part vertical gestures. But there are also some extras, like screen describer, a feature sort of like item chooser on the iphone, where you can list all the items on the display and go to a particular item.

2016-06-17 04:56:10

TalkBack doesn't work? THat is sad. Anyway, you get the complete 16 gb of storage for user files? I assumed it was about 10 or 11 with the rest taken up by the operating system.

2016-06-17 04:58:28

Actually it seems like I do only have 10 or so gb. First time I checked. Well, if Humanware does confirm my theory on storage, then we'll have even more available.

2016-06-17 05:00:41

I'm assuming the removable card contains the different Android partitions. I thought the disk would be internal, but I guess not. Anyway, I suppose that is all for now. Let's see what HIMS does.

2016-06-17 05:01:30

And while I do agree that it doesn't make sense why talkback doesn't work, let's also take into account that this screen was made completely from scratch by Humanware, was never designed for talkback to begin with, and was never tested with talkback. So let's take that into account.

2016-06-17 05:03:41

Why does Keysoft sound a lot like TalkBack with the same beeps and blips? I don't understand that.

2016-06-17 05:14:44

Google worked on this whole thing with Humanware. Some of the sounds are talkback ones. Edit mode sounds are new, and the move sound is the nicer, traditional android keyboard move sound.

2016-09-26 08:02:08

Allrighty, some info from someone who knows Android well:

1. KeySoft.apk (/system/app/KeySoft.apk) is in fact a modified talkback package at it's heart.
2. The BrailleNote touch uses a Texas Instruments OMAP4 mobile processor, which is about 4 years old.
3. If anyone has a linux machine, could they attempt to dd the contents of the BrailleNote Touch's internal SD card out to a .img and upload it?

2016-09-26 23:13:48

The question, though, is would a Linux installation accept the sd card, or would that also result in the formatting of the card? And if that's the case, then a mac may even accept it, though I'm not willing to do that as mac can do some things to storage drives behind the scenes if it believes there's a problem with the drive, or it can't read the drive.

2016-09-27 00:03:44 (edited by Chris 2016-09-27 00:07:05)

Meh, really? When will they ever learn? Why are they using a 4 year old processor and an old version of Android? Come on!

I wouldn't go around putting your Braille Note SD card in other machines. It's probably a proprietary format and screwing it up would mean paying hundreds of dollars to get it fixed. I'm done with AT products. The only one I want is the Orbit Reader 20.

2016-09-27 03:23:43 (edited by Jeffb 2016-09-27 03:26:36)

I think its sad though how Humanware will probably toss the Apex by the wayside when it still is a good working device. I am not going to trade mine in because it does everything I need it to but it is sad that givin Hunanware's history that soon the Apex will no longer be supported.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2016-09-27 05:16:33

OK right. let me be very, very clear here. the BrailleNote touch, uses, ext4, on it's SD card. all linux systems will support it, guaranteed.

2016-09-27 06:17:11

Finnturner, that's what I thought. Question is, would it work on a mac system as well, being unix based? And as for the old version of Android, that's something I'm dealing with personally. Security patches will still come in for Kitkat. Google is not Microsoft, they don't toss old operating systems, if they did well then would you still see every single version of android is the sdk? Probably not. That's why a lot of common apps still work on Kitkat. Responsible android developers will test the app on many versions of Android and many different configurations if they can, because, for the record, there are still *some* devices around that are still running outdated versions of Android. If Google themselves thought that Kitkat was a bad idea, they would've made it clear to Humanware that it would be. Kitkat is still a very stable platform to build on. Cyanogen Mod was at its peak in Kitkat, especially with features. Now it seems like just added fluff apart from a few nice features that I still find value in.

2016-09-27 07:49:56

yeah, I'm pretty sure the mac has an EXT4 driver. what is really awesome about this is, if I can find an omap version of the su binary, drop that in /system/xbin, boom. instant rooted device. Also, I'm considering attempting to port the KeySoft experience to an AOSP KK phone, and moving up from there. thoughts?

2016-09-27 09:01:19

also update: KeyTerm, a new terminal application, for the BNTouch has been written by me. anyone want it?

2016-09-27 14:19:28

Sure, bring it on! Did you use a Touch sd card to integrate it into keysoft so things like using first letter navigation in a multi-page list will work?

2016-09-27 21:14:17

it doesn't have a multi-page list. type command into the box, press E to execute or press the menu button to repeat the last output or exit the app. it'll soon have a proper KeyTerm menu with new terminal, open terminal, print terminal, and setup options. yes, setup options. like keysoft of old

2016-09-27 23:12:34 (edited by jack 2016-09-27 23:22:05)

Alright, cool. So you said the mac may have an ext4 driver. It doesn't, but Osx Fuse is a third party utility that provides that support. In that case, would I just be able to insert the card in the mac, or would there be some safety precautions to take to make sure the card doesn't get fried? However, it looks like Fuse only supports reading ext4 volumes, and while you can enable the experimental write support, writing to the drive could result in toasting the data, which would toast the Touch's only method of storage. Thus, it looks like I'd be better off doing it on a Linux installation. But assuming the card works as expected, the mac would do the bare minimum, that is perform a full system backup which they should've provided as an option in the boot menu of the Touch. This also leads to another thing. Having a knowledge of Linux/unix based filesystems, I asked tech support if you could format any card under the Touch's filesystem and copy a system backup of keysoft over to it. They said no, that inserting the card into the pc would result in the card getting formatted. That's ok, after all I don't think I mentioned Linux in that support question. But since the filesystem is ext4, and the card *should* work in a linux/mac installation, that means that you could technically use any card with the device!

2016-09-27 23:46:57

Hmmm. all this talk about the filesystem of the braillenote does bring up some interesting questions. After all, could we have a 32 gig braille note touch instead of a 16 gig moddle? What all can you do to it that humanware does not think about? So they do not offer a full system backup within the boot menu? I know that On my IPhone, I can enter sort of restore mode if the OS update ever fells. This and the fact that I can restore it via ITunes and have it up going is a plus. I thought that android devices had such a mode if the OS got messed up to the point where it would need to be fully wiped and install. So what happens if an OS update makes the OS of the BrailleNote unbootable? Will humanware send out a new card?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral