2016-05-13 13:32:29 (edited by jack 2016-06-19 06:42:43)

Well that's the thing with the touch. Even if you're not a fan of keysoft, you're no longer stuck inside keysoft. So it's basically that same consistent interface everyone's used to, along with the option of other apps. For example, this being a google certified tablet, both the keyplan app and the regular google calendar app are included. So if you like google calendar and are used to it, no problem! Whether you use keyplan or google calendar, they are both in sync with google calendar. So when you use keyplan, your stuff is going automatically into google calendar, so if you switch between the two, they'll never become out of sync. There's one thing I'm actually wondering, about the acapella engine. I wonder if it's Humanware's own Acapela engine, or the standard acapela app that just includes voices. Because if we use our purchased acapela voices with it, hopefully there aren't two acapela apps on the unit. And if it is the standard acapela app, then that should be more reason for acapela to put at least one voice into the app, if even one that says please purchase a voice, every minute or so. Because the engine still lets you switch to it when you've got  no purchased voices, and that's a problem, if, for example, someone switches to it by mistake.

2016-05-13 17:17:16

I have to say, everything you may have hated about keySoft is ironed out here. Did you hate how folders within folders was unaccessible to you? That is no longer a problem.

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.

2016-05-13 19:54:37

I don't hate KeySoft, I just don't know why I like it, is all. It just seems unreal how much I enjoy using it, when it's so clearly limiting. The Touch promises to change all that.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-05-13 23:19:51

Baylee, here's the thing with subfolders. They actually did work, kind of. But of course, you had to get used to directory mode, and typing in computer braille, and that's removed in the touch. Now, it is an interface much similar to that of your average file manager..

2016-05-17 20:52:08

For those who are curious and did not read the FAQ about the BrailleNote Touch, here two questions regarding updates, and also to answer a few questions regarding updates I read on this topic.

Q: Will The Touch receive security updates if Google makes them available?
A: Yes, Google supports Android Kitkat and provides HumanWare any security patches which are made available for them to be provided in a wireless update of the BrailleNote Touch’s software.  As security, stability and efficiency are our top priorities with this product  such security updates will be made available immediately.
Q: When HumanWare releases an update for my Touch, how do I update the device?
A: An update will come in two forms. Either you will be notified via a notification and you need to only click a router key on the notification, or if you see a notice from a HumanWare eBlast or hear from someone that the Touch has an update, simply select KeyUpdater from the all apps menu and your Touch will tell you there is a new update available. Simply press enter or a router key on it and it will download and install. Updates can take between a half hour to an hour to download and install depending on your internet speed. But you can download the update in the background while doing other things.
Alternatively you can download the update file from the HumanWare web site and put the downloaded zip file on a Thumb drive or SD card. Simply press a router key on the notification when it appears telling you that a system update is available, and the update will install.
Note that the Touch needs at least 50% battery power when not connected to a power outlet, and using AC power, it needs a charge of at minimum 20%.

That should clear things up about updating the BN Touch.

2016-05-20 15:56:20

Hi,

Somebody was expressing their thoughts about KeyNote on the Touch.

If something happens and it's ported over, I would take it. But it's not really a big concern to me. I can use eSpeak or Eloquence.

I wanted to give my overall thoughts about the KeyNote voice:
While its pronunciation can be bad sometimes, it doesn't jump around in pitch like Eloquence on the Desktop can. Even if we write a sentence with a period, it still sometimes speaks as if the sentence has an exclamation mark.
KeyNote is a lot better on the Apex over the mPower. If you have both these devices, try the following:

Write the sentence:
How much will this cost?
Will it cost more than $50?
Notice that, on an mPower, KeyNote reads both sentences the same way it reads the second sentence, increasing its pitch on the end word.
On an Apex, the first sentence is spoken with the pitch decreasing as if there were a period. Now, speak these sentences allowed. For me at least, KeyNote on the Apex is following how I would say each of these.

I like how it emphasizes consonents but hate it at high speeds.

Thanks,

Brandon

2016-05-20 17:17:56

Hi,

Yes. Two kinds of trade in options are available:

• User of any BrailleNote:
For this, a device with a 32 cell display will count towards $1500 off the original price. But I unfortunately don't remember what the price is for 18 cell devices.

• Any notetaker:
Any Braille device, regardless of whether it's a notetaker or a Braille display, you can trade this in but you will need to send this back. For more information I recommend contacting the HumanWare support team:
[email protected]

Thanks,

Brandon

2016-05-21 05:00:04

I do agree with Brandon, although there is one reason I'd actually take the classic keynote over the apex keynote. The previous versions of keynote in the older braillenotes spoke the text adventure games a lot better than in the apex. But as far as pitch raising and lowering, I would take the apex keynote.

2016-05-21 08:23:35

Hi,
I have seen the touch yesterday at Sight city, and I really liked this. Humanware told me that they will be able to more quickly translate the software and keysoft in other languaües.
Steve

2016-05-21 11:50:17

Yes indeed! That's because line breaks were properly announced. Notwithstanding the unfixed Apex bugs which will now probably never be fixed (bugs like the fact that you can't actually turn the display off), text adventures is one thing I love using it for, and that's because of Keynote. And yes, Classic and MPower were the notes to play those games on. The speaker was nice and loud, too.

And then there was Master Touch under MS-DOS, of course, on which many text adventures could be played through Keynote SA or PC card.

Ah! The memories ...

Just myself, as usual.

2016-05-26 23:20:00

Well, today is the day the BrailleNote touch came out. We will see how well it sells.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2016-05-26 23:47:30

Just one step closer to getting mine, then. Now that people will have a chance to try it out for themselves, let's see what people think.

2016-05-27 02:04:57

Also, the BrailleNote Touch Tutorial can be found right here.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2016-05-27 04:19:20

Post 67: I was just about to post a link to the tutorial, but you beet me to it. But, it will sure be interesting to see how people react to the Touch, especially since it was released. Its one thing when professionals have the device, but another thing entirely when the device is released to the public. It sure looks better sometimes when they review it, rather than personal every-day use. Same went for sneak previews of AT software. Meanwhile, I will listen to the tutorial by MysticAccess.

2016-05-27 16:50:52

Thanks for that link. I grabbed the tutorial and will have a good listen.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-05-27 21:08:18

LOL. I didn't even know I was in a race to post the link. ROFL. Anyway, I downloaded it yesterday evening and put it on my victor stream this morning. Don't know why, but it makes FSReader v3.0 crash on my computer. I am planning on giving it a listen too. Maybe after I come up with the next comment I send into the blind bargains podcasts. Then again, a quick listen first maybe what the doctor ordered. I am intrested in how this product gets used now that it is out on the market. Can it keep up with today's uses? Will people just walk away? What nitch will it really fill? All of these questions and more will, at sometime, be answered. The price is kind of hi...

DropBox Referral

2016-05-28 10:48:48

I really hope the BrailleNote touch fixes a lot of the gaping security holes in the apex, like the ability to extract passwords from databases, and the ability to, on the apex, make a BrailleNote unbootable just by putting a specific file in a specific folder.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2016-05-28 16:10:49

Well, the unbootable issue would definitely be fixed, because the all the traces of windows c e are gone, including the bootloader. Wasn't that thing able to boot anything with the name pdiboot.exe as well? Imagine putting the wrong file with that name in the unit, it wouldn't boot at all.

2016-05-28 19:04:18

@jack, the Touch is using Humanware's own Acapela engine, although one can also download the original Acapela engine from Google Play, and to distinguish the two, the one that comes with the Touch is known as "BrailleNote Touch Acapela".

2016-05-28 22:31:32

OK, so this isn't for me. At least, I don't think so. Actually, the BrailleNote Classic is forgiven, frankly.

I'd love to see what's on that internal SD card.  If anyone gets it, please image it and share ...

Um, can anyone actually remember what this notetaker is actually for? Indeed, what does the MPower/Apex have that the Classic didn't that would be missed? I love a modern OS, but I like editing in braille better. Can't edit plain text files. WTF? And the, I don't know, refinement of the original design just isn't there. Sure, it's an accessible Android tablet with braille support, but ...

I'll keep listening to this 'ere.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-05-28 22:41:22

It might have been able to, but on the Apex you can't really do anything in the bootloader, but you can, yes, force a program to run at startup on there; which is very evil considering that CE doesn't scan anything it runs. But since all traces of Windows CE have been wiped, I think security should be a lot better now.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2016-06-01 21:58:53

I do wonder how many they sold by today. Then again, A few more months might have to pass before that can be answered. Has anyone on this form order one or had one order from them? Just wondering. I am finding it hard to weight to from anyone who can get their hands on it in the real world per say. I am in the section of the Tutorial talking about some of the apps that can be gotten for the BrailleNote touch. Oh how I wish I can get my hands on one for long enough to play with it, but it is not werth the price...

DropBox Referral

2016-06-08 00:56:34

The BrailleNoteUsers.info site is no more. Its maintainer moved on to greener pastures with NVDA.

Sad. It was a useful site, for all the restrictions of the original Braillenote. He's right about one thing: BrailleNote has a legacy, and until I read that message I really didn't stop to think how much I take my BrailleNote for granted, or how such a small thing can have such a big impact. It's truly been one of the most precious and memorable and enduring product lines in all the time I've known it, since the BrailleNote Classic.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-06-08 01:35:54

I don't really remember ever really visiting that site. Does anyone have access to all of the usefull info? Just wondering. It will be a shame to see all of that work go down the tubes as it were. Then again, I never owned or really used a braille note. I seen one for long enough to get an idea how it worked, but still.

DropBox Referral

2016-06-08 06:08:11

I tried to archive it, but it was way too slow. Hopefully somebody has the archives, somewhere, or there's the Internet Archive, of course.

The ENTER key on my Apex is acting up. Just in time, then. I won't be replacing it with a Touch yet though.

Just myself, as usual.