2016-04-18 08:21:24

I don't normally post to these things, but since Doctor Who was mentioned, I'm slowly making my way through the series, I'm up to season 2, episode 3 I think.

Netflix here in australia finally has them described so I thought, why not?

It'll save me downloading them.

I'm not sure if I'll stick with it or not, I tend to start a series and not finish them if I don't watch them after a while.

I did that with daredevil.

I'll finish them eventually, it's just a matter of when.

2016-04-18 18:27:06

@Cooltirc,  I assume by "season 2 episode 3" you mean new who? ie, the series that started in 2005. That is actually a continuation of original Dr. Who which was cancelled in 1989, though most of the original doctors and their copanions now do audio dramas for big finish (as indeed do some of the new characters as well these days). I wouldn't say all original who is lovely and all new who is dire, though as you will have gathered Steven moffat who took over as show runner after season 4 is someone I do not like at all and I've been increasingly annoyed with where he took the series.

if you really want to experience good doctor who though, try some of the big finish audios if you can get them, sinse they tend to have far more time, far less drama and generally are written in a more grownup style. That being said, the first four seasons of new who had their moments, The Satan pit (in season 2), the conclusion to season 3 with the new master, Midnight in season 4, etc, though most doctor who isn't quite as fluffy as new who tends to be, albeit once Russel T Davies settles down after season 1 you'll get some nice stuff before it all goes down the toilet in season 5 big_smile.

Thankfully bf are still going and they rock!  though I'm a little irritated ccurrently as my earbuds are bust so I can't listen to audio dramas unless I use my headphones, then again I'm not wanting to stop reading guy gavril kay at the second.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-04-18 22:32:27

I really wish I had the money to buy some big finish audios, especially since I'm a huge classic Who fan and most of the classic doctors now act in BF audios.
@cool_turk, Doctor who is still available on Netflix in Australia? That's cool, however it's no longer available in America, which is why I'm resorting to watching it on DailyMotion. Actually, believe it or not, DailyMotion has more of the classic Who episodes than Netflix used to.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2016-04-19 05:22:45

I'm aware of Big Finish Productions, I have quite a few of those episodes.

I started listening to the unbound series.

I think that guy was meant to play the first doctor but he turned it down, at least, that's what I read somewhere.

I guess I should have mentioned the 2005 series, but since they're now refering to the original series as classic, you'd understand which series I was refering to.

I'm not sure how many episodes I have from big finish, a few series are more like an audiobook with sound effects.

The stargate series I have are like that.

I don't mind those, I just wish they wouldn't try and mimic other character's voices.

I hear season 3 of the stargate audio series are actual audio dramas, so maybe, I might check those out.

I have a bad habit of starting a series and never finishing them.

I get distracted by Harry Potter fanfiction.

I guess the thing that puts me off books, normal books that is, not crappy fanfiction I seem to be addicted to, is they take forever to explain things.

I'm amazed I managed to read the hunger games and the song of ice and fire series.

I did try to read the Divergent series, but not really knowing what they're about, couldn't really get into it.

The same with the Shannara chronicles.

They're just so slow.

2016-04-19 11:07:09

@Blindncool, the bf audio prices are a bit of a pain, which is why I just stick to the doctor who ones, though it helps to get the back catalogue and be subscribed so you get the new ones. Some of the companion chronicles and early adventures who stories from bf are like audiobooks, though often they ahve a second voice. This is because the actors who played the first three doctors (as well as several companions), are actually not around anymore so they had to find another ay to have them, then again, frazier heins Patric Troughton impression is down right uncanny. Peter Perves does a fairly good first doctor too, though usually they get William Russel who's not bad, but imho Peter Perves is closer to the way heartnal sounds.

The unbound series is interesting, but you do generally need the context in some of them to understand where the differences are, particularly the ones that are an alternative take on the first doctor, and He jests at scars, which gets huge amounts of hate from the community but I rather liked, then again imho the valyard is awesome (I loved the fact he returned).

@Cooltirk, funny you describe hungar games as slow, I found it rather fast paced, though I don't think colins was really there in the second two books. If you like ice and fire though, you should try some Tad Williams or brandon sanderson, indeed Sanderson might suit you sinse he rights fairly fast paced stuff which still has good worlds. Part of the reason though people take a while to explain things is simply to set the scene and atmosphere and not reveal all details at the start, indeed that's one thing I'm admiring in Kay, where he takes his characters, indeed I'm doing a review of the summer tree which I hope to have finished today, though i do also need to write some stuff for the db as well sinse I've played several games which need entries written for them.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-04-19 12:36:00

Hunger games wasn't too bad with the pace, the divergent series and the Shannara chronicles, from what I read appeared slow.

Then again, I only read a few chapters so maybe I just didn't give them a chance.

Lately I've been addicted to an app that's currently available on iOS, I believe Android will have it once they improve things on the iOS platform, and that is Vorail.

The best way to describe Vorail is, voice forums, only it's set as a question answer format.

So, you would record your question, and people would answer.

I think it was originally a dating platform, but I think that's well and truly changed now.

I think the blind comunity took over, whether or not it's ment for only blind people exclusively or not, I guess only time will tell.

There's a podcast available on applevis for those that don't want to download and sign up, not that you sign up, most of the information is linked to your Apple ID.

Here's the link to the podcast.

http://www.applevis.com/sites/default/f … ast979.mp3

2016-04-19 16:10:26

@Cooltirk, I have the divergent books but haven't read them yet. If by "shanara chronicles" you mean the sword of Shanara, first king of shanara, elfstones of shanara and the other books by Terry Brooks, to be honest I thought those were terrible! Sword was a cheap copy of lotr in pretty much every way, and the books were so generic fantasy with really cardboard characters, heck it was possible to stick a dungeons and class on everyone just from their appearence, eg, a beerded guy with a staff has to be a mage, and a leather armour waring guy with two weapons is going to be a ranger and know all about hunting.
Really i can't stand! that series, definitely all the worst of epic fantasy, and no wonder you didn't find they held your interest, sinse it sounds like your looking for something with a bit more go, especially if you liked Martin.

Try Sanderson or Williams. Heck if you don't mind flowery language, give Kay a go, i'm really! enjoying these at the moment, indeed I'm just going off to finish my review of The Summer Tree, which is the first book.

2016-04-19 16:43:20 (edited by The Dwarfer 2016-04-19 16:44:04)

Has anyone ever read "Not A Drop to Drink" by Mindy Mcginnis? For those who like survival fiction, it's a good one. Basically the world encounters a fresh water shortage, and the book is set in a world where people literally have to find water sources and defend them, rogue bands of people are out doing crime... it's quite dangerous.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2016-04-20 07:28:00

Not read that one Steve, the premise reminds me of the film Tank girls, which was rather silly but quite cool.

Well a sleepless night, but on the plus side I got the db updated which is good, hurray. Also did a review for the summer tree which should be posted soon, though I'll probably crash later, right now I'm at the surprisingly energetic stage of feeling remarkably awake despite lack of sleep.

2016-04-21 01:49:13

I've been reading a lot of Stephen King stuff recently. I finished the Dark Tower series.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2016-04-26 01:35:04

Hi.
Well I haven't actually posted in one of these topics before but I figure now is a good time.
Well lately I've been reading a lot of mystery novels. Plus I watched the new star wars movie and I really liked it except for the fact that J. J. Abrams worked on the movie. He ruined star trek which is why I was worried about star wars but it turned out okay at least so far. I've also been discovering new bands godsmack, megadeth, and some others I'm probably forgetting. So all and all april has been a good month.
@Devitprater, I hope you enjoyed the dark tower series it's awesome. If you haven't already don't read past the coda at the end of book 7 it will break your heart. If you enjoyed the dark tower read cell and the stand there awesome apocalyptic stories. A cool thing about the stand is that it has connections to the dark tower series but I can't tell you about those without spoiling the stand. Also if you want more fantasy check out brandon sanderson, tad williams, terry pratchett, and brent weeks.
@Kool_Turk, you should really read more books. If you really read descriptions of places and things in books you really get a sense of place and what's going on. If you want fast action stuff try brent weeks he's a mixture of fantasy and thriller. Also check out authors like lee child, david liss, john case, john connolly, J. A. Jance, and stephen hunter.
@Dark, I'm going to have to check out doctor who. I've heard about it for years but I've never actually checked it out. It's funny you mentioned tad williams I just found out he has a new book set in the world of memory, sorrow and thorn. That should be good. I read his new bobby doller series which really wasn't my thing. It was good but not up to williams's usual stuff. I agree with you terry brooks's stuff is so stereotypical. I could probably write an exact terry brooks story and pass it off as his, lol actually probably not! What's even worse is that they made shannara into a tv series which my sister loves. I told her stay away from shannar but she loves it lol. I actually watched it with her once it played out just like the books unfortunately.
Anyway guys thanks for listening to all my rambling it was a lot of fun posting in this topic. See you later!

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2016-04-26 10:19:41

@Guitarman, I didn't know there was a tv series of shanara, though can anyone say lotr cash in? Actually other than game of thrones i've yet to see a decent fantasy tv series, legend of the sseaker was okay but didn't quite work out, and merlin from the bbc was good as far as it went but it didn't go far enough. Thankfully game of thrones is really well done, though I've yet to see season 5, let alone 6 which has just started.

I actually didn't like Bobby Dollar much either, all accept the second book which was set in Hell sinse Tad Williams doing hell was awesome, a shame we had to come back to earth for the third book big_smile. I think in general the hole modern urban fantasy genre isn't my thing as I've yet to read something in it I really! liked. Jim Butcher's Dresden was good in short bursts but not imho something I'd want to read too much, while I actively found Richard Cadry's sandman annoying, indeed if you want a book with no descriptions and none stop action with people spouting cool lines about how awesome they are all the time that's it.

I really need to check out brent weeksk though thus far I'm loving Kay as I said.

@Devin, the dark tower is awesome. I actually didn't mind the ending after the coda, but I know some people did, my dad apparenttly threw the book across the room after reading it. In fairness I don't see another way King would've managed to finish the series, and I liked the idea that there would still be a resolution in the end, though I do wish he hadn't retconed parts of the first book such as making Walter and Flag the same person and removing mentions of the beast.

Well things are going okay thus far, though yesterday sapi decided to go splirky on me though I managed to fix it with jim's delusalex file.

I'm loving alter thus far, though unfortunately I have lots of things to fix involving visas and all sorts of other things today which is a bit of a pain, but hay thats life.

2016-04-26 16:10:53

Hi all,
  Well things are going quite well for me, other than that severe storm outbreak of large hail, damaging winds, and maybe tornadoes coming today. But again, it's the good old Southern Planes. What can I say?
  I'm surprised this topic is still going though. I've seen several of these die around the middle of the month... I just figured maybe you guys were keeping the party going in hopes I'd show up. LOL tongue
  Thanks for the book recommendations

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.

2016-04-27 00:55:01

Hello Dark.
Wow I'm surprised you rmember the beast from the original gunslinger book. I thought I was the only one. I had the audiobook from the library years ago and they had the original. Stephen King actually read it which was awesome. He reads the new version too but I've never listened to the new version. I have the book from bookshare but of course it's the new version. I guess it makes sense though that he removed mention of the beast because there's no mention of it in the other books. Unless you count the crimson king as the beast but personally I don't.
Spoilers!
I remember when I read the end of the seventh book and you know it skipps roland going into the dark tower and at the end you just get the epilogue. I read the coda where he says don't read past this. I ignored this and I wish I hadn't because I would have been happy with the ending the way it was. I do like the fact that as roland forgets everything that he gets the horn of eld and the message that maybe next time things will be different. Now that I've gotten older I like the ending better because I like the fact that there might be hope of a different outcome sometime. I wonder what would have happened if roland's group had survived? Maybe the tower would spit roland back into the past if he was with his group.
End Of Spoilers.
You should definitley check out brent weeks both his series night angel, and his new lightbringer series are very good. I like night angel because it's about assassins which I like lol. In some ways night angel reminds me of robin hobb's books especially the politics. The pace of his books is very fast it's a mixture of fantasy and thriller. One thing I like is his magic systems in both series. I won't spoil anything but in lightbringer they use light to do things different colored lights allow you to do different things.
I need to check out kay he sounds very interesting. I found some of his books so I'll try to read them soon.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.

2016-04-27 03:55:47

Just downloaded the Bobby Dollar books, 1 and 2 that is. They're long, and I love long books. I guess we shall see... if their quality matches their length?

2016-04-27 11:54:15

@Guitarman, Yep, I remember the first time I read the gunslinger very well, sinse even though that was 1995, and the second and third books were out the Rnib didn't have them, indeed I'd read The gunslinger twice before I read drawing of the three, and read the first threee books twice before I read the fourth. Books 5-7 I only read once back in 2008, and even then I had to get them from America which took a lot of politics on my part.
Luckily I have them all now and have been thinking of doing a major reread at some point just to see where things went.

So yes, I remember The Gunslinger very well, and mentions of The beast as well as the ageless strangerBeware! dark tower spoilage ahoy, read no more lest yee be spoiled by the spoilers!
I didn't think the Crimson King was The Beast, sinse i recall in that original copy it's mentioned that there is one above Walter, The Ageless stranger (who it strongly implies is both Flag and MArtin Broadcloak, the one who had the affair with Rowland's mother and caused the shenanigans in Gilliad), then one above him just called "the beast" and one more above the beast who isn't mentioned accept that he's extremely evil and bound up with The Dark Tower. That I took to be The Crimson King.

So yes, I was quite sorry King Compressed things and then retconed and rewrote parts of The Gunslinger to fit. I do agree on The Horn implying though that things would end up differently being a symbol of hope for the future, indeed my friend Sam said if King hadn't included The Horn he'd have been mightily pissed off (sinse Sam is a huge Steven King fan and has been reading King's books even longer than I have).

Btw, ever heard the original song "in the court of the crimson King" by the prog rock band King crimson? The song itself is awesome, but has so many references which king obviously used for The Dark Tower, not just the Crimson King himself, but also the firewitch and the black queen.

Brent Weeks I'll have to check out, though I've got a lot of stuff to read currently and after Kay I might have a break from fantasy, maybe do some China Meieville as I loved perdido street station.

@steve, hope the storms aren't too severe big_smile.
Actually Bobby dollar is imho Williams worst, though his take on hell is pretty awesome as I said. I'd personally though recommend his Otherland series, indeed if you like long books give those a go.
I don't know if Kay is as much people's thing, though one thing Kay does which I really like is manage to combine very epic and poetic writing with very realistic characters and a comparatively fast moving plot.
Check out my review of The summer tree here though note that I obviously enjoyed it far more than the other chap who wrote a review for the website.
I'm just writing a review for the second book, which wasn't quite as good though very much picked up at the end, indeed i'm into The Darkest road which is the third book of the series right now, and that is proving very awesome indeed!

Other than that things are comparatively quiet, albeit lots of stuff going on with sorting out Mrs. Dark's visa and things, also work I have to do.
I'm really enjoying playing Altereon when I have time, Druid mage is a good combo I think and so much easier than clerric warrior. I am also thinking about giving Avalon another go, snse I sort of stopped in the middle of what I was doing, though as I can't recall where my character was I might just have to create a new one and go from scratch as there is quite a lot of avalon to get into. I did buy some lessons at the time, but hay never mind.

2016-04-27 19:45:55

Of course I finished the whole book. Yes, it broke my heart, oh discordia. I may take another journal, fore the tower calls to me again. I’ve read the Stand, Insomnia, Carrie, Desperation, The regulators, Salem’s Lot, and am now reading Cycle of the werewolf in Braille. If anyone has the DT series in braille, please contact me somehow. I hate the narrator of the last few DT books on BARD. And no. BARD doesn’t have them in braille either, just audio. It sucks really. Braille is the first initial in that name, and they have mostly audio books instead of braille.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2016-04-27 19:56:31

Journey, I meant.
Also, I have a love hate relationship with most MUD’s. I love them because they’re text, and that they continue to change and grow, but I hate them because the MUD clients all treat them like audio. MudRammer sends everything in chunks of text, making it hard to work with. I can’t use it work my braille display, and trying to figure out how to spell names and stuff can be down right frustrating. Shoot. I think I’ll just try getting into BRLTTY and see if that treats braille as it deserves to be treated, something more than a afterthought of speech. There aren’t even any maintained clients for the Mac. All the smart young developers are too busy copying each others’ ideas and remaking each others’ games to focus on anything else, so my Mudding days are few and far in between.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2016-04-28 00:43:53

Hi Devin.
You realize that if your in school or a college student and you live in the Us. you can get bookshare for free. You just have to get a doctor or teacher to sign a form saying that your blind or low-vision whatever the case maybe. You can get braille and daisy books to read. They have a huge collection a lot more and a lot better than bard. Bard is just not good enough as far as I'm concerned. Personally, I get all my books from bookshare. I have so much to read sometimes I don't know what to do lol.
Hth.

Guitarman.

2016-04-28 00:58:00

Unfortunately, I'm not in school or college. I'm at a training center, and I'm trying to get them to sign papers for me to have access to Hadley which will give me access to Bookshare as well, I've heard, but shoot, I don't know. I'm so tired of things being so darned complicated. BARD not being about braille much at all, iBooks being so expensive, Bookshare being slightly expensive, people not remembering to do everything they're asked, all that. I hate depending on people sometimes.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2016-04-28 05:34:52

Depending upon people is something of a pain, though personally I'm really not a braille fan, indeed I tried reading Salem's lot in braille and gave up sinse I found it too long winded and arythmic for my choice, these days all my reading is audio, sinse I only used braille to get books I couldn't get in audio.

As to muds, unfortunately the problem is with the games being real time, I'm not sure how  quickly you could read in braille even if the, however you might try some of the slower timed muds like Avalon, Clok or Wayfare1444, indeed Avalon might sute you very well devin as the writing in that game was gorgious (something I could even tell with a synth).

I'm not sure in general what you mean about mud clients sending text in chunks, the two I have experience on windows, vipmudd and mushclient both send text line by line, albeit at the same speed they recieve it from the mud itself.
As to names, vipmud has a great search feature, that can search back for text and give you spelt words, I also find playing with supernova I can flick on the virtual curser to go through letter by letter anything I need, though also bare in mind most muds are very good with their synonyms anyway, eg if you need to talk to priest bobalyciousmaximus, talk priest will usually do it, or sometimes even talk man (or whatever race he was).

Well I'm awake early but hay I'm feeling energetic which is good, so I should get things done. I've started grinding my own coffee again. Previously I got pre ground beens which were okay, accept that they aren't as fresh as doing the thing myself by hand. I thought my grinder was bust, but it actually turns out it wasn't, and the coffee they make is wonderful stuff.

Unfortunately I've got work to do today before I think about either Alter or Avalon, but hay that's how things are.

2016-04-28 17:56:43

I tried Avalon, but there again, depending on people. I had to wait until some city leader was online to continue with becoming a citizen or getting some upgrade or some mission, it was all just something I couldn't be very patient with. And the chunk thing, like, Mudrammer, for iOS, sending things as the MUD sends them, but for a braille display, it's like getting 3 or 4 notifications from voiceover at a time, then I have to press space with N to access voiceover notifications, find the top line I want to read, all that. I'd much rather input my cnmmand, and read the output starting from the top newest incomming line.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2016-04-30 04:02:19

Hello.
Well I've been doing a number of things the past few days. Going to my guitar lesson, going shopping, sounds boring but it was awesome I got some good food and stuff like that. And my sister and I went to electronics and I got to touch the iPhone 6 on display. That was awesome I want one but I've been stalling about getting an upgrade.
Something really funny happened the other day. I was helping my sister take a bible quiz and we were almost finished and her phone died. It was so funny and it was even funnier because she got so mad when it happened. I just told her to calm down and do it on the computer. She did but she was still pouting about it for a while lol.
@Dark, I've been off coffee for a while but your very lucky to be using beans. I need to get some the next time I go shopping. Right now I'm stuck with ground coffee: why me? lol. I just recently started drinking coffee again I'm addicted to it I think. I really miss the way freshly ground smells in the morning. There used to be a really good coffee brand called tullys. I used to buy it at the grocery store but now it's become some sort of upscale brand. Last I checked it was $28 for 4 ounces.
Well that's enough of me rambling on about coffee and everything else.
See You Later!

Guitarman.

2016-04-30 05:25:53

Guitarman, you said that you went to your guitar lesson. It makes sense that a person with your username would not generally play another instrument. At least it is nice to know where the word "guitarman" might come from.

2016-04-30 17:28:08

@Devin, Having thought about it, I believe the problem is the mud sends text in terms of description and doesn't care about your output device.
Even in speech it's necessary to use spam filters and to listen at a higher speed to keep up, and in braille this might not work because of the slower reading speed. I also have heard mudrammer is a little impractical in terms of intigration even with speech as compared to clients on Windows though I don't know how true that is.
It's likely for muds you'd be better with speech for the speed, though obviously turn based games would be fine in braille.

@Guitarman, Yep,  I love coffee. It's good to get out my grinder again and do the thing properly. Having the beans ground in the shop is okay, but there's something satisfying about doing it myself. I have some wonderful columbian hear right now.

Well we got a nasty shock today. Both my lady and I were woken at around half past five by a huge row from downstairs. It sounded as if things were getting broken and there was massive amounts of yelling from my downstairs neighbor and a guy, in particular I worried because she was telling him to "get out" and he planely wasn't leaving, she was sobbing loudly and there was a massive amount of swaring as well as what sounded like worryingly violent crashes and bangs.
We decided ringing the police was a good idea, though things calmed down before the police showed up and I think said guy, apparently her less than pleasant boyfriend left before they arrived.

We went down and she planely was not good, the police turned up and we left things to them, indeed we were worried sinse while she told the police she was alright, the chap responded with "no your not there's blood on your face"

So, definitely something bad going on, I just hope my downstairs neighbor (who is a really nice lady), is okay, we went down this afternoon to see if she was alrightbut she was out, hopefully she's gone to stay with someone (I know she has a sister).

other than that today has been very lazy, lots of reading of Kay, though last night I did introduce my lady to the joys of the series being human which I have audio described, which she's liking, and in return we read some random sf together.

So, everything okay for us, hopefully it will be for our downstairs neighbor.