2016-04-02 17:07:29

yes, another monthly chat topic. Bet you were expecting it yesterday? well ha! April fool! As usual shoot the breeze, murder a gale, and break wind about anything you fancy and anything going on in your life or your kneck of the woods, or indeed any part of the woods anatomy you happen to be in.

Well it's April and things are very hechtic for me. I've got massive work to do to get the hopefully now absolutely last gbit of work done on my doctorate for may, so wow! On the plus side my dad is fine and doing much better. On the down side, my lady's desktop is not, indeed no sooner had we sorted an e-mail address than the entire windows crashed so badly I can't even run narrator. I'm not sure if it's window eyes, windows 7, or just the computer generally, but we'll hopefuly be getting it looked at tomorrow.
There is also innumerable wedding related things and immigration related things to fix, indeed all the stuff that had to be on hold due to my dad being unwell has avalanched a little.

On the plus side, we did have two friends over to stay last night which was lovely, probably our first couples night out, involving an awesome mexican meal at a great restaurant, and then one of the most hilarious phone calls to a pizza place in order to get some coke for my long time random friends' girlfriend (who I have just met for the first time and who is lovely), to mix with her rum.

#That was fun, particularly the astonished "just coke!" we got from the poor takeaway man when asking him if we could just order some bottles of pop.

So, craaaaazy! indeed.

Today however I get a bit of a break, albeit i'm trying to play drakor, talk about drakor on the forums, and! think enough to review mercedes lackey's arrows fall all at once!

So yee gods methinks my brains going around. Oh well, at least that'll mean any zombies who go for a gnosh on it end up nice and dizzy!

Hope everyone else is having a good 2016.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-04-03 00:45:00

It's nice to hear that your dad's condition is improving. What are you getting a doctorate in?

2016-04-03 10:58:57

Supposedly philosophy, writing a new deffinnition of disability, though I'm getting sick of being told to do more and more corrections and add more stuff, I'd like to move on and do other things now.

Hopefully it'll be finished in a few weeks and then Mrs. Dark and I can do fun stuff like plan a wedding, do singing courses etc.
Ironically, apart! from the stupid thesis I'm supposed to be writing everything else isn't too bad though there are many things that need dealing with, still I'd so much rather do those things with my lady.

Today I have some work to do this morning, then hopefully my lady's computer will get fixed, then we're going to a great asian restaurant for lunch (they have ti, chinese, vietnamese and lots of other weerd things), and finally I'm going to try out castaways, oh, and I still have to review arrow's fall!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-04-03 11:38:54

Speaking of Castaways, I only found out a few days ago that the developer, Jeremy Kaldovsky, does not have visual impairment. This struck me as quite interesting as his games are written in such a way that you would think a blind person wrote it. I wonder where he got the idea to try building audiogames from.

2016-04-03 17:27:21

TJT1234, for years I've known that Jeremy Kaldobsky is fully sighted!  smile  ROFL!

I'm not entirely sure what it means that my games seem to be made by a blind person, but I'm assuming it's a compliment.  Thank you for that.  big_smile

Years back I stumbled upon a link to the audiogames.net website, which was on some other random webpage somewhere.  I clicked it to see what it was all about, and wandered myself onto these forums.  I'm not sure where it started, but I was chatting with Mr. Dark here about something or other.  I enjoyed the conversation so I stuck around for a few days, and decided to put together an audio game of my own, just for the heck of it.  I released Towers of War shortly thereafter, and it caused me to meet and chat with even more people.  I couldn't tear myself away so I never left, and it brings us to today.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2016-04-03 21:01:42

Well Tjt someone with working eyeballs developing audiogames isn't as unusual as you might think, there have  always been several, usually people with some sort of interest in weerd games or acquaintance with visually impared people, Ian Humphries, Daigonite the developer of braillemon, the peopole behind several of the ticonblu inquisitor games etc, indeed even Richard and Sander the actual webmaster of this site are fully endowed in the optics department. Aprone however is noteable for first sticking around and  being such a major  part of the forum and the community, and for making some of the most truly unique games we've seen, indeed if you've not checked out all of what he's done feel free to give them a go, (I've got the new castaways 2 beta running right now).

Well today has been, as my lady might put it "blummy!" despite a truly awesome meal involving much seafood starters and an interesting thing with noodles and sweet chilly and chinese shredded omlet for me.

My friend couldn't fix my lady's computer, which might be a combination of window eyes, windows 7, or just bad luck, so it looks like she'll need a new one which is yet again! something else to fix, grrrrrr!

Also bad for her not having one, and doubly annoying given her e-mail address is actually now working thanks to my arm wrestling match with google.

Still, such I suppose is being married big_smile.

2016-04-03 22:34:36

Thanks for the kind words Dark.  I hadn't heard of Ian Humphries or Daigonite, so I'm wondering how many other sighted developers are around who I didn't realize were sighted.  Is there maybe a list somewhere, though as I type this question, I hear how silly it sounds.  Why would there be a list of audio game developers based on their ability to see, hahaha!

It sounds like many sighted developers haven't stuck around, so that probably explains why they aren't as well known.  Do they typically vanish after releasing a game or two?

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2016-04-04 07:53:48

Hi dark sir and all!
when you will be marrying now.
I just wondered that you have unmarried so far.
my best wishes with you and your dark lady, though I will be glad if you will invite me and my family with an online card! hahaha.
april is very hectic month for me.
I got my exams in 7th of april I have to understand hegel, marks and other political thinkers.
I am glad that I have to write those papers in hindi not in english!
Thanks
Ishan

life's battle do not always go to the stronger and faster man,
But sooner or later who win the one who thinks he can!

2016-04-04 09:01:02

Yes, that comment was a compliment, and what a good thing it is that you are aware that you are sighted. Some people like Ian Humphreys and Marty Schultz have stuck around having made over thirty games. My comment was that, for me at least, Aprone's games seem to be very understanding of the preferences of screen-reader users. I've only played three of his games; my favourite is Dog Who Hates Toast. I would love to see that on iOS someday.

2016-04-04 10:21:02

@Aprone, Your right, there is no list of sighted developers of audiogames, sinse it would be a little screwy. there is also no real specific conclusion to draw sinse things have been in a vast range, from developers working for kids, to developers who create stuff that is overly symplistic, to developers who make short play arcade or traditional games like Ian humphries, going right up to developers who make some mega complex stuff such bas Jason Alan's Entombed or Touchmint with Adventure to fate.

Sometimes they're experimental things, sometimes they're because the developer is just interested in the idea, sometimes they're a thesis. Likewise, some developers leave, some stick around. The only really major difference is that when sighted developers who are themselves gamers set out to create more involved or mechanically detailed games, they have rather more knolidge of mechanics to draw on.

For example,I recall a debate I had with Thomas ward a few years ago where I remarked that all the audiogames that were side scrollers such as superliam had fixed walking speeds, jumping arcs and stopping distances, while in most graphical games, even those made in the days before thumb sticks, touch screens and analogue controlers, walking speeds and jump distances were based on how long you held the button or direction down and what you'd done previously, eg, when you push right in super mario brothers, mario's walking speed increases until he's at top speed, and with his speed increase it'll take him more time to stop, (more so if the run button is held).

Obviously blind developers never got to play the original graphical games, so never had the experience, which has a knock on affect on basic game mechanics, then again before I go off on my old rant of "judgement! not reaction is what makes a good game" I'll stop.

@Ishen, We don't know at the moment. Getting legally married depends upon applying for visas and lots of things for my fiance to stay in Britain, indeed it turns out I'll save massive amounts of money by getting married in the states and then applying for my lady to enter the country after we're married, rather than for her trying to apply to enter the country and get married and then have to apply to stay as my wife. It's all a major headache. Besides, sinse neither her parents nor my parents can travel and because we've both got friends on either side of the atlantic we're probably going to have two ceremonies anyway.

In terms of the important bit of being married, ie, emotional as opposed to legal, we pretty much both decided that just before christmas, although it was more an acknolidgement of something we both knew than anything else, indeed I didn't ask my lady and she didn't ask me, we both asked each other on a count of three and then went to buy engagement rings next day.

As to "unmarried so far" well actually we've been remarkably quick about it, indeed so quick it's surprising, albeit as I said rather inevitable that it was going to happen. To say we first lived together officially as a couple for a week in November, then my lady's visa ran out and she had to go back to the states, then we met up in december and within the first week we'd got engaged.
I don't know if your bit of India is one of the places where it's more common for parents to arrange marriages for their children or for couples to not live together before the wedding, but obviously that's different over here, heck there are some couples who live together in very stable relationships for years but don't feel the spiritual or legal need to have the ceremony, albeit that sinse my lady is a christian and I at least believe in God, I do think there is something to be said for a divine acknolidgement, after all for various weerd reasons it's extremely odd that my lady and I ended up together at all, chances against it happening were staggering, indeed if you'd told me this time last year that a girl who I'd at that point just had a casual chat with via e-mail and was just preparing to meet at Aims music school in April would a year later be someone I was going to spend the rest of my life with I'd have thought you'd been at the funny mushrooms big_smile.

@Tjt, all of aprone's games are worth a try, though I'd have to say castaways 1 (and probably soon to be two), as well as Swamp are personal favourites, then again I've had fun with all of them, though sadly not has as much time on swamp as some people or as I would've liked.

2016-04-04 11:42:38

dark sir!
My congratulation goes to all of your family.
Let's hope for the best for your dad also.
I personally pray for him.
at aprone sir!
I like your U mart a business game but never got the concept of towers of war.
I like swamp but if it will be free then I will play the multiplayer edition.

2016-04-06 00:59:50

OT I am new here so is there anyone here who I know my real name is James Cheek If anyone knows me please poivate message me thanks.

James B. Cheek

2016-04-06 11:22:49

@Ishen, nope, Swamp won't be free for multiplayer, though sinse the gamer accounts now also covers castaways 1 and the beta of 2 as well as swamp it's well worth it.

Towers of war is a nice game but one it takes getting used to. there is a path that runs across the screen down which waves of enemies will come. If the enemies reach your base at the end of the path, bad things will happen, ie, you lose lives. So, you have to build gun towers to shoot at the enemies, freezer towers to slow them down, sniper towers with low rate of fire but high damage, microwave towers that zap anything within a circle etc.

The stratogy comes in where you build your towers and which towers you build. it's a cool game, though I do rather wish Aprone hadn't lost the sauce code and we could expand it a little with different maps, tower types etc.

@James, I know you. Your name is james and you just introduced yourself now big_smile.
Feel free to say hello and let us know what's happening in jamestown big_smile.

While meeting friends you know offline is no bad thing, I will remind you audiogames.net isn't just a social network, we're a bunch of people from places as diverse as England, Canida, Denmark, Tyland, Iran, the united states of America, Italy, Germany, persia, the czech republic, Brazil, India, Egypt, France, and goodness knows where else. The one thing we have in common is that we all like audiogames, so feel free to just jump in and say hello, we're really not that scary, ---- well okay, I am scary, but most people here aren't quite as scary as I am, or at least they manage to hide their scariness under a mask of niceness, I am the only person who dares to be honestly horrifying big_smile.

Well things over here continue to be hechtic, still much work on my bloody doctorate to do, preparing for a music school in London this weekend (which I'm totally unprepared for), and still trying to get lots of stuff sorted out with respect to living together.   

On the other hand, we have got a very nice first class ticket down to london which means we'll be continually plied with lovely grub, including free tea, coffee, plus alcohol (I might treat myself to a wisky)and likely some nice grubbage as well. Sinse it's a long journey that is going to be a good thing.

Annoyingly we're also going to have to fix my lady a computer as hers has gone totally splirky without any possibility of repare, though what and which and how we're not sure currently. She says she'll give supernova a try, so will try mine out online (and sinse she never really used many of window eyes more advanced commands she might be okay), still it's a thing to sort which we really could do without.

On the plus side, my dad is indeed feeling better which is good.

2016-04-06 12:53:32

Dark: First of all, I'd like to say congrats on the doctorate work, thats a hard thing for anyone. second, congrats or condolences on the Mrs Dark lol (I had no luck in that area, so take it with a grain of salt)

I will say I have met some interesting people from this place, and many have come to see me in my VR.  Some liked it, some didnt, to each their own smile

The community here is diverse and interesting, and I keep watching!

2016-04-09 00:06:55

Well, it appears that I'm a bit late on adding my 2 cents to this thread, mostly because real life has been getting in the way.
At the moment I'm getting back into my two favorite franchises: the Earthsea Series (currently reading book 3 of 6), and Doctor Who (currently watching classic stuff, mostly on Dailymotion.com).
Not sure if anyone noticed, but Netflix no longer carries Doctor Who. You can watch the modern series on Amazon Prime, and the classic series on www.dailymotion.com.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2016-04-09 08:21:38

Dark,
I am so glad that all is going well with your wedding plans. The logistics can be a pain, but it sounds like the love you have for your lady makes it all worthwhile. I am so happy for you!

As for me,
I disappeared off this forum for a couple of reasons.
I lost my best friend in December.
Then my health issues took over.
It was a struggle to do anything, because of seizures, and because of low thyroid functioning, but I think it is all getting straightened out.
Finally, a good thing happened.
I got a job, and it wasn't even one that I applied for! It was offered to me, because someone liked my style of writing.
I am writing for a blog for one of the Lighthouses. It's amazing , and I am grateful for the opportunity every day!

So that's the last four months for me in a nutshell.
I may not have quite as much time to be on here as I used to, but I am going to try to be more active here.

I hope everyone is having a great month so far.

2016-04-09 16:22:32

High Mirage.
Congratulations on getting a job, and I'm sorry you lost your friend.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2016-04-11 05:03:40

Hi mirage!
so sad that you have lost your friend.
but I am happy that you get a job.
by the way in what topics do you write?
Thanks
Ishan

2016-04-11 17:04:38

@Centauri, thanks for that. Fluxworld is cool, unfortunately time and me tend to not cooperate, particularly at the moment, and particularly with a game it takes a while to just plane wander around like fluxworld, but I'd definitely recommend people give it a try.

@Mirage, As Ishen said, I'm really sorry to hear about your friend, but the job sounds good. actually I invisage myself doing something like that at some point depending upon what happens with my doctorate.
We unfortunately have had a lot of bad luck recently, with my lady's computer going poof, stress involving my thesis and other things, but that's not changed the way things are between us.

@Blindncool, which classic who? I haven't seen the new series yet, sinse my parents harddrive packed up in the middle of season 9 and I don't really care for it enough to track it down, though I probably should. ON the other hand, classic who I know well and while I can't claim to have seen every episode I have seen a fare few and read a good number of the novelizations too, though right now big finish is my favourite source of who related stuffage, last months peterloo massacre was amazing, although a bit sad given we were quite worried about my dad at the time and it's an episode he would've loved.

Well on the one hand my lady and I had a wonderful weekend at aims music school, doing various bits of singing including one hand one heart from westside story and All i ask of you from Phantom. Both were amazing, though it did irritate me I haven't had time to learn any new music. I'm at the moment reading the novelization of V, the miniseries from the late eighties which is pretty awesome, though I'm coming to the end around now and will be changing and writing more reviews.

Unfortunately, we seem to have hit a run of rotten luck recently, sinse while we were on the way back, my engagement ring slipped off and is probably on the train now!  needless to say I was pretty frantic on the subject, though right now we're having a day crashing and reading stuff.
Oh, one good thing however, whilst playing around on my phone on the way back from london I did! see spellstack is back in the ap store so will hopefully be able to create a db entry for it, though I'm not really up to that right now as two days of intensive singing tuition, albeit with much congratulations and an audition was quite tiring enough.

2016-04-14 01:26:12

Mostly stuff from the 70's and 80's. In fact, I just finished watching Remembrance of the Daleks for the first time.

2016-04-14 08:31:55

Ah, rememberance is cool, I love the "who are you calling small!" scene, not to mention the first instance of a flying Dalek and the Doctor finally getting the best of Davros.

There is a very silly novel which claims rememberance didn't happen and it wasn't Scaro that got distroyed, but most people forget about that one big_smile.

Mccoy I always felt was a bit too hit and miss, but stories like rememberance and happiness patrol were definitely hits.

Well things continue. My review of Arrow's fall is now submitted and should hopefully appear soon, I've also finished the novelization of V and will probably try out Guy Gavril Kay's Fionavar tapestry as it's one my lady really enjoyed and has been thinking I should read, though things will be a bit busy today.

Btw, spellstack is proving most irritating sinse I can't complete the advanced tutorial for some reason.

2016-04-15 18:33:10

I agree with you; Sylvester McCoy was one of those doctors who were hit and miss. Of course, the same could be said about David Tennant imho. Never seen the happiness patrol. I'll have to watch that one next.
I also have the same problem with spell stack.

2016-04-15 22:03:48

Happiness patrol rocks, it's the evil govenrment who want everyone to be happy or else! plus the audiobook is read by Rula Lensca (the same one who played Lintilla in the h2g2 audio drama series).

I'd agree tenant had off moments but he's by far my favourite of the new who doctors. Ecleston was a bit too! anxty  and inneffective, and anyone he was barely around, Capaldy has great potential but unfortunately is too often written as Clara's lapdog and completely ineffective, and poor Mat Smith mostly came off as a cheap copy of Tenant due to the moff's idea that the doctor's personality didn't change during regenerations (yeah I know, what series was he watching?).

So, while I don't like some of tenant's episodes, imho he's still the best bits of new who, actually I'm really looking forward to the bf audios with him later this month. They actually managed to do something I thought impossible, make River song a compelling and decent character (mostly by getting rid of all the inuendo and self obessession and other moffishness), so what they do with a doctor I for the most part really! liked I can't wait to see.

Well I just heard my phd corrections hand in date is later than expected, plus the work I've done thus far is (according to my7 tutor), going amazingly well, so I'm in a great mood today, actually had a nice day off and got some fun stuff done, lots of reading guy gavril Kay, writing up my review of Arrow's fall for fantasybookreview.co.uk, which you can read here, and playing spellstack.

Actually the problem with the level I was stuck on where you had to spell bet was not an issue once I realized two simple things, firstly, there were far more letters than I thought, and secondly, you need to submit a word by selecting the letters in the order you want them, ie, b, then e, then t.

I listened to the guide and tutorial and then kicked myself for it being so obvious, the e and the t are just above the b.

That is the advanced tutorial finished which is good, though i lost to the medium computer player I think because I'm not great at the hole spcial location thing. I'll try more of the game out to see where things go, and write a db page though at this stage I don't know whether I'll keep it around on my Iphone or not.
Actually one weerd thing, when I looked at the store in the game, vo would read hardly any of it, there were just lots of things siaying "button" with no labeles, which seems quite loopy for a game that has stuff to sell.
As I said, I'm not sure if I'll keep the game, I'll have to try it a bit more and see, though I will certainly do a writeup.

2016-04-17 20:35:38

I have the same problem with that game. However, I'm playing it on Android, which makes it slightly more complicated because android doesn't have a vertical navigation setting. Therefore, if I want to navigate vertically, I have to do it the old fashioned way, which is a bit tedious.

2016-04-17 21:13:38

Ouch, that could be inconvenient regarding no vertical navigation. As I recall however, for that advanced tutorial the letters are in the order b on b1 (part of your opponent's word bat across b1, c1 and d1), e on b2, (your own letter), and t above on B3. Previously I missed the t on B3 which wasn't clever.

I'll probably delete the game now sinse while it's very well designed I don't think it's exactly my thing.

Well had a good if very lazy time recently, but hay, it doesn't matter. Unfortunately we're now back to trying to sort my lady's visa for coming to this country, which is quite the nightmare not to mention trying to actually get married and sort out when I'm flying to the states. My parents have agreed to pay the flights as a wedding present which is nice.
Guy Gavril Kay continues to rock, indeed I've nearly finished the book mostly because my lady doesn't mind rereading with me.
I've also e-mailed the people behind another browser game which works well apart from an inaccessible capcha, so we'll see what happens there. I looked it over a few months ago and it looked uninteresting, but I might have acted rashly sinse I think there's more to it than I suspected.

Anyway, that's what going on at the moment. I have more work tomorrow, but hopefully without so much panic about time which is nice.