2007-12-12 13:32:30 (edited by sabrina 2007-12-12 13:33:49)

Hi! I'm just starting out with guitar. I have no idea where to start. are there anny courses, or instructions somewhere that doesn't contain lots of graphical things? I'm totally blind. I use an acoustic guitar.

I live to crochet!

2007-12-12 20:04:54

What do you mean?

Sometimes the best you can doo is to forget. Don't waste your time with what already has been done, because then you wil just break down in the end.

2007-12-12 22:31:47

Hmmm, I think I can see the problem. The main thing with the guitar I believe is the hole frets business and where you put your fingers (something I've never got myself, but I'm no good with strings anyway). I had a friend of mine show me, sinse I don't think there's any really clear way of explaining it via text, ---- and anyway a hands on approach is always better for music.

So I suggest finding someone who plays who could give you a hand, ---- or maybe getting lessons with a decent teacher, even if it was only a few lessons to get the basic principles of the thing which you could then go off and practice.

Sorry I can't be more help.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-12-20 00:28:49

Hi,

Go have a look at

www.musicvi.com

They teach several musical instruments using all audio courses, and have lessons that teach you different songs all via audio, either on tape, CD, or you can download them as mp3's.  I got one of their piano songs back in 2002, and it was pretty easy to learn given that I've been playing the piano for a while.  My only thing is the kind of music I want to play I can't get from them, unless I want to shell out 40 bucks for them to do me a private lesson.  Most of their courses are around $40, but if you want to go the individual song route, those are only around $10, which is well worth it if you ask me.

I would love to learn the guitar via their guitar courses, but I just don't think I will have time with all these writing classes I have next semester.  Gotta love college classes, but hey at least I've got all the generals out of the way!

HTH
Brian

2007-12-21 07:53:02

the   thing with guitars is that after a while they start to mess up your fingers so, as a blind person, you can't read braille properly, I've heard. As i also have a braille display on this computer and plus read braille for other miscellaneous things, i don't play the guitar, but I'd like to, but that problem drives me off.
I hope you are aware of this.

2007-12-21 17:59:00

Strange.  I've heard that  too, but i have a blind friend that have played guitar in many years. He is still reading braille. it may be different for everyone. maybe it is true. it would not be good if that would happen. especially since i'm so sencitive, if i read slow i can read trough a glove. Sabrina,  i think you need to find somebody who play guitar. i know how hard it was to find someone, but if you are on a school, and there is someone who teach music or learn it, i recommend you to ask one of  them.

Sometimes the best you can doo is to forget. Don't waste your time with what already has been done, because then you wil just break down in the end.

2007-12-25 21:59:51

I play the guitar and I can read braille with no problems. I had problem with reading it for maybe three or four months, when my fingers haven't got used to the guitar playing and then I had a kind of very weird feeling in my fingers when I was reading and I had to do it quite slowly, but now everything's ok.  I also think that it depends very much on a person and fingers.

2007-12-26 19:00:29

Hi Arjan.
That is not true. I play quite a bit, I can read braille just fine, and if I couldn't read braille, then lets just say I'd have a terriffically difficult time in classes, because thefact that everything I do is pretty much brailled.

But then again, it might depend on the person doing it, I dont know though.

2007-12-27 12:16:53

Yeah... I play also bass a bit and my fingers are still capable of reading braille.