2016-03-24 23:27:58

Hello,

I just discovered this community and thought it would be a good place to share my iOS game, Nano Empire, now that I've made it accessible with VoiceOver.

Here's the app description:

"A network of nanorobots gives humans godlike power. What will you do with yours?
-Create your own world! Build, upgrade, and explore a unique combination of glorious locations. No two worlds are the same!
-Wage war against 10 enemy personalities, from giant scorpion matriarchs to ruthless space pirates!
-Embark on secret missions, discover dark truths, and take action. Many lives will depend on your choices!
An incremental strategy game designed for depth and replayability."

This game is meant to appeal to anyone who enjoyed A Dark Room.

Here are some promo codes if you would like to check it out:

YMRRYRFX3R7R
A7JYAAKFWYRH
6AR43PW7XLF3
MXN6N7Y6JFEY
44XJJRTF3L4F

I would greatly appreciate if someone could add this game to the site's database.

I'd love to hear what you think! This is not only my first accessible game but also my first game ever, so if there's anything I can improve in the future please let me know!

Developer of Nano Empire, A Few Minutes of Glory, Evelyn's Farm, Guess the Rule, and Pocket Reality.
jksgames.wordpress.com

2016-03-24 23:58:48

Hello Jsenter; welcome to audiogames.net. I hope you enjoy it here and that we can help your game become the best it can be.

I am so happpy that you didn't add voiceover accessibility as a feature request or a last minute thing. Seeing developers making their games accessible from the start to those of us who use voiceover makes me so happy.

i'm playing nano empire and I think it's great!

There is a little issue when you click on things to upgrade. Sometimes it will jump you to the top of the phone, where the status bar is.

I'd recommend trying your game with voiceover if you can.

Here is a great site for those of us who use voiceover, www.applevis.com

There's a developer page on there where you can learn more about accessibility.

I do have a suggestion if that's okay, do you think you could add music and sound afects? I think that would be awesome.

I'm gone for real :)

2016-03-25 00:01:40

Wow, this ounds cool and I will definitely give this a look. BTW, what do the promo codes give you? And can you use all of them at once? Thanks for making your game accessible!

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2016-03-25 00:19:50 (edited by brad 2016-04-11 06:46:31)

Hello Stirlock. The promo codes allow you to play the game for free.

@Jsenter. i'd recommend implementing the magic tap jesture. It's a two finger tap voiceover users can use to play and pause music, get information in games and other things.

You might use it to, for example, get a quick reading of how much energy your world has.

That's just an example, I'm sure you can come up with other cooler ways of using it.

2016-03-25 00:34:15

This is a fun game! I only wish there were some sounds, and music! I've been waiting for a creative game for a while now. Thanks!

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2016-03-25 01:13:39 (edited by brad 2016-04-11 06:47:21)

Hello. The game is a fun game isn't it?

It would be great if we could destroy buildings to get back resources.

Oh and it would be amazing if something can be done about the fighting system. I think for now, sited people would have an advantage over us since we have to tap twice for every one of their taps.

2016-03-25 01:31:45

Thank you for your suggestions, and I'm glad you like the game! I did not know about the magic tap; I'll look into it for the future.

Music and sound would be great but unfortunately I'm not very skilled in this area and I'd rather work on new games for now. Currently that's filed under "If the game ever becomes successful..."

With VoiceOver on, combat is turn-based, so you don't have to worry about tapping quickly.

Developer of Nano Empire, A Few Minutes of Glory, Evelyn's Farm, Guess the Rule, and Pocket Reality.
jksgames.wordpress.com

2016-03-25 01:36:03 (edited by brad 2016-04-11 06:47:54)

Hello. Make sure to look at the developer page on applevis.

I'm sure it will help you.

As for music and sound affects, could you not get free sounds and music?

I'd be glad to donate to this game if sounds and music and a bit more voiceover support was added.

It's a great game but I really feel music and sounds would make it even better.

2016-03-25 02:51:18

I got the game today. I am really enjoying it. At some point the game crashed and now when I start it crashes again. The game only stays open for a second then crashes. I would love to keep playing it!
Thanks for making a great game so far.

2016-03-25 06:13:12

It's a very adicting game even if this Theo'sguy keeps kicking my butt. Hahahahaha Nicely done! Any tips how to get my defence up? Even wit the 4 mil defence I get from near by planits, this guy comes in and slaughters me.

2016-03-25 07:07:26

This game is great and I had been playing for hours

2016-03-25 11:22:45

Hi.
@jsenter: Welcome to the forum. Thank you very much for making your game accessible and usable for us. I don't mind paying for games which are made accessible with VOiceover, and I look forward to check out the game.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2016-03-25 11:51:24

Hi jsenter
and welcome to the forum.

As Brad said,it's wonderful that a developer begins working on a game with vo accessibility in mind from the start rather than adding it later on.

I also love the idea of a single player empire stratogy game, sinse so often they are just multiplayer who can minimax most type of affairs, so great on that score, indeed as you can imagine with a lot of accessible games being simplistic, complex single player games are very much appreciated.

I'm afraid in terms of adding the game to the database, it basically involves one of the editers (usually myself), playing the game, trying oit out and writing up an entry, which I'll be glad to do today.

I'll also write up some news once I've tried the game to let people know it's available, I think people will love this one.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-03-25 14:04:29

Okay, I've downloded the game and given it a try.
I do like thus far and am seeing the influence of a dark room, which is a good thing.

The only issues I'm finding is firstly,  as brad said, occasionally for no reason when I double tap on something I get bounced to the notification area at the top of the phone which is a bit irritating especially when hitting back or create.

access wise, the game is great, I love the location descriptions and random jobs to do, as well as the campaign.
I am finding however that I am not doing the actions within each created world as often as perhaps I should be, indeed it's easier to create new worlds than to try and make optimum use of the ones you have sinse by the time I've done an action such as picking mushrooms in the mushroom forest or recruiting followers, then found the back button, and gone to the world menu to look at another world, I find it's time to do that action again, it's also likely that I'm not therefore gathering resources as quickly as I should be in the game.

To alleviate this problem, I'd suggest perhaps firstly including the scrub gesture for Vo on the back button. That way it'd always be easier to get back to the main world menu. You could also consider implementing the "new" option in the world menu to have worlds with fresh tasks to be done either marked or bumped to the top of the menu, rather the way A dark room did, just to make the flicking easier.

Well, back to creating I go, a very addictive game indeed!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-03-25 15:20:40

hi
I like this game.
I unfortunately have to agree with csm120 (post 9). the game crashes at some point. the only thing i can do is re-install it, so all my progress is lost.
could you, if possible, PLEASE fix this issue in the next version?
Thanks

2016-03-25 16:23:34

Youch! just got the crashing bug too.
As I recall I'd just been beaten up by the scorpian king, and was looking at what new worlds I could build.

Sinse I'd really rather not reinstall the game I do hope this bug gets fixed, sinse it seemed the story mode was just getting started and I can tel there is a lot more to go in the game.

2016-03-25 17:35:31

I'm really sorry if you're experiencing crashes! If you are, could you please tell me what device and iOS version you're using? I'll try to fix this as soon as possible but I'll need some help since it doesn't happen on my device.

jksgames.wordpress.com

2016-03-25 17:38:17

Hi.
Thank you once again for making your game accessible. I'm having a blast so far, especially with the descriptions and dark room style storytelling.
I'm not too bothered with music and sound in games, especially if the quality is there   Gameplay wise .  I don't know if this is already in the game in future, but I would love combat to be a bit more involved, such as building fleets of ships to send them out against enemies for example . smile .

2016-03-25 18:22:12

I am using an iPhone 6s and iOS 9.3.
Please let me know if you need any more info.
Thanks

2016-03-25 18:49:25

I'm using an iphone 6 with ios 9.3, I also got the crashing bug, and it's pretty sad too cause I was quite far into the campagne mode. I also sometimes get jumped to the top status bar when trying to select something with vo, and music and sounds would be awesome, even though it's not really an important requirement, the game is adicting enough as it is right now.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2016-03-25 19:11:46

crashing here as well. I had an awesome world with a bunch of stuff and it crashed and it won't run again.
I am using iOS 9.3 with iPhone 5.
And the fighting is a bit problematic, since we're supposed to hit the fight button really fast..a nd its a bit more difficult with voice over, we cant really do the finger drumming stuff.

but awesome game!

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2016-03-25 20:24:01

hi
i also have an iphone 6 with ios 9.3

2016-03-25 22:10:57

The game  has completely died on me too, it won't run at all, it opens and just instantly crashes and shuts down again.
I've got an Iphone 5 with Ios 9.21, (odd there is no update to 9.3 but there you go), obviously I do hope this gets fixed soon sinse I had a very awesome world going there.

2016-03-25 22:29:41

so my game is now in a completely unwinnable position.

I'm at about 60% complete. A world frequently attacks me, taking 500000 of my energy and all of my defense. The defense gifts of other worlds aren't enough to give me a defense profit. I have the space port built so I can construct larger fleets, but I can't build enough of them before I'm attacked again. The world in question is up to 12000000 attack and is steadily increasing.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2016-03-25 23:51:59

I'm having the same problem I can update a few things to level2 but that's about all I can do at this point, this world keeps crushing me, and I don't get anything other then 4 milion defence from neighboring planits, and if I get that to 5 milion he comes back and crushes me with 10 milion. If I could just be left alone I might have a chance to get stronger, but no such luck. I don't have enough to atack him either.