2007-12-06 16:26:19

Hello everyone!
No, I'm not hear to ask what video games are accessible, or gripe about how mainstream developers don't make games accessible.
I started trying to play the 2001 gameboy advanced game "Castlevania: Circle of the Moon" around September or October. The game's audio was a bit primative, as there was no directional sound;however, I discovered a way to actually beat this game. After posting to a Castlevania forum that I was attempting this game while completely blind, a random person contacted me and using only words (through e-mail etc), he is actually guiding me through the game.
Those of you who have tried video games have probably had someone sit beside you and tell you to turn left and right; but have you ever had someone you don't know actually right you directions that work to get you through the game? This is a side scroller, so this task becomes a lot more doable.
Using his directions, I have been able to get from the start of the game, to about 1/3 of the way through the 2nd area. This also included taking on the 1st boss, which was hard without stareo but manageable.
Once he makes more written directions, I should be able to get further!
Well, that's all I'll say for now; if anyone's interested in trying this for yourself please let me know!

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2007-12-06 17:51:46

I have to admit, I'd rather be trying a different game than that particular one...a final fantasy title, for instance...but you've definitely run across a very helpful individual. I daresay it's going to get hard, though. Castlevanis' known for murderous platforming at times, even for the sighted.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2007-12-06 19:20:49

Yeah, he's not real sure how he's going to do the 3rd area (the machine tower). It has lots of moving platforms, as well as these enemies called Madusa heads that turn you to stone if they hit you. You have to jump from one moving platform to another, while avoiding Madusa heads and other things that attack you.

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2007-12-07 01:50:27

Greetings, Trajectory. It's good to know there are more blind video gamers posting on the forums than I am. lol. I thought I was the only one who actually said on my first post to all the forums I was blind.

Now, I wonder if any other games could be done like this. Castlevania is a sidescroller, so that's not a problem... but I wonder what three d games could be done this way. Like the onimusha games, for instance, or or even one of the gauntlet games.

Discord: clemchowder633

2007-12-10 15:51:39

Well, if I could use game cheater to find X/Y coordinat positions, Zelda: Ocarina of Time is possible. Someone would have to right out which directions to walk in to get to that player position, then what to do when he gets there. I can already beat just about every boss in that game, but getting through dungeons and such is still a big problem.

2007-12-10 17:31:31

The problem with OoT, though, are the places where reaction is needed. Things such as having to jump on the dead run (well, not jumping but you know what I mean), pitfall-dodging in similar positions (shadow temple) or the ice cavern and its boulder-pushing. ...Not to mention getting to that blasted cavern itself. I know -sighted players who fall off the icebergs every so often. I'm not saying it's not possible, but you'd have to figure it's going to be hard. And this says -nothing- for the water temple, which by its very nature uses 3d exceedingly efficiently.

2007-12-10 19:38:10 (edited by Trajectory 2007-12-10 19:39:11)

Yeah, I know there would be things in that game that might be very hard or near impossible. Isn't "Ice Path" in pokemon gold completely impossible?
I've also heard the same about: victory rode in blue/red/yello,
6th gym in pearl.
In OoT, I can already beat the deku tree. I can also beat:
Queen Gohma, Big Octo, Barinade, Phantom Ganon, Morpha, Dead Hand, Bongo-Bongo, Iron Knuckle, Twinrova, ganondorf and all other regular enemies and mini-bosses. Fire dancers are annoying, and Dodongo/ Volvagia/ Ganon aren't very doable (I think the audio in Volvagia is misleading).
Jade, I was just checking out your profile stuff- If you are from Ontario, I must know you- from somewhere. I may be wrong but I must know you as I know many blind people from this area. If I don't know you, I must know someone who does (in person).

2007-12-11 02:26:00

Ontario, huh? I'm a good old British Columbian myself. lol.

I can't coment on the older games, because all the games I play are on the ps2. But I am going to try and get a copy of the original Marvel Super heroes VS. Street Fighters game. That was a classic on the psx in terms of playability. It wasn't just fighting, but the mechanics were good. And the assistance of double-team attacks just made everything a lot better. If you want to know more just say so.

2007-12-11 03:37:11

Trajectory: I saw your beating of the DekuTree and it struck me oddly, because all the sounds were of a visually adept player playing (zooming in and orientation with the l and z buttons, for instance, though I'm by no means trying to call you a fraud).
Ice Path in GSC is inaccessible, yes...you can fumble around, but won't get anywhere. Victory Road in RBY is basically inaccessible, but I've done it in FR/LG (where there's a bit more cue for the rocks you have to push). It's still hard. Pearl's 6th gym is moving platforms...quite do-able, though a little annoying. Gyms 3 and 4 are likewise. It's the seventh gym (sliding on ice, no verbal cues, and bashing snowballs apart) that's not accessible. The 8th gym involves gears, and I got through it on my own once, but failed thereafter.

You may know me, but you may not.

2007-12-13 16:10:36

Are Flannery's or Crasher Wake's gyms or Giovani's gym doable?
I have friends at school who have beaten most of these games (blind). I don't have the games myself, except for a crappy rom of FR which I don't play anymore because of how confusing I found it.
I tried asking my friends to bring me to those leaders, but none would because they aren't kind enough to restart the game.
Would you mind giving me a Saffron or Viridian gym savestate? either that, or somehow teach me how to navigate? The best I did was making it to Viridian Forest, but got stuck. I needed my friend's help finding the mart (kinda humiliating that I needed help, seeing he's also blind and figured it out himself)

As for OoT, I mainly use C-up. In the room with the torch, the water and the cobweb, I use up-C and then turn to the sound of the torch. For the bosses, I use Directional (stareo) sound in a very similar fassion.

2007-12-13 16:54:51

Wow, good to know there are still helpful people around, especially online.

As for myself, I learned real fast to be careful about telling people I'm a blind gamer on mainstream forums.  Once I got talking to this guy about GBA games on MSN and when I told him I'm blind he thought I was making a big joke.  Then when he told another one of his buddies that he was supposedly talking to a blind gamer, he added him to the conversation.  It was just funny how they kept insisting that you *can not* play video games just through sound.  They didn't believe I was blind until I gave them the Freedom Scientific website. LOL!

Well, I'm off to take my last final, yay!
Brian

2007-12-13 18:23:36

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. Which console are you talking about here? The GBA? Does this have sterio speakers?
I have a psp, and I recommend it to all seriusly gamers out there. I'll tell you more about it if you want to, but I'm not sure this is the right topic to write about it.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2007-12-13 20:08:59

zhtfreak, I can give you many personal stories of the exact same thing. Most people finally believe me, but the ones who don't... OMG how insulting they are.
One guy said that a blind person couldn't possibly get a disk or cartrage into a game system. He posted all kinds of insults and made himself look like a moron. One time, he even said that I was saying I was blind for attention, and everyone hated me because of it;in reality everyone hated him for it and was posting comments to defend me. This of corse was after I'd given links such as L-works and FS. To nearly prevent these comments, I finally posted a video of me killing a zelda boss with a scarf over my eyes. OH, what a humiliation to those insulting non-believers.
I still get: "do you need someone reading your computer to you?" and other questions like that. Unfortunately, people don't take the time to read my profile and read up on how we do that. I even suggest that people download the JFW demo for proof.

@SLJ: We were originally talking about Castlevania: Circle of the Moon for GBA. It doesn't have stareo speakers, but I'm managing without by using other (more primitive) cues. It makes things harder, but I still manage.
Then we mentioned Zelda for n64. the n64 does have stareo capabilities. some games don't use it, others do.

2007-12-13 21:05:21

Oh, thanks for explaining. I have read about Castlevania for other consoles. Do you think the whole Castlevania series is accessible?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2007-12-14 02:01:56

Trajectory, I need to agree with you here about something.. the fact that some people are helpful and others are just plain jerks! I had someone challenge me on the MK boards a while ago about how I play the game. Put up a video too of me beating a character with a fatality, with the goalball eyeshades over my eyes as well. They weren't too happy... and actually, I do suggest the jfw demo as well. Though the funny thing is, some people've actually asked how I type out posts, and I point them to the site.

2007-12-17 01:00:10

Hmm...okay, some tips, of a sort:
Follow walls! I can't stress that enough. I never cared too much about marts, but Veridian's isn't flush...it's free-standing somewhere in the middle of the town but in its southern half. I don't remember precisely where. As for Veridian gym? I couldn't do it in RBY, I got used to it in FR/LG because the little arrow dealies on the floor make sound. Crasher Wake from DP is accessible, but a walkthrough doesn't hurt; pay attention to how long the water rushing sound goes for, and then wander around a bit...it's what I did. Flannery? Again...accessible, but it's a trial-and-error, try and remember where each pool brings you out and then navigate that way. That being said, the best possible thing you can do in a gym is save very very often. Worst case scenario, you get stuck and have to backtrack, then save in a new place if you screw yourself over; best case, you end up getting it right but don't get stuck doing every little step of the puzzle multiple times.
I can do a few things in OoT, but haven't really tried some of what you've been doing. I've been shown to the entrance of the spirit temple as adult Link and had a ball in there. It's quite fun...I even managed to climb that shifting wall nearer the top (easy trick: use the Long Shot and target the very very top of the wall). In any event I hope I have helped at least a little.

To address a question: some Castlevania is partially accessible, most isn't. This is particularly true for the 3d castlevania games, which are notoriously unforgiving even for the sighted sometimes. The one thing I do like about one (Lament of Innocence, in particular) is the way bosses telegraph their attacks. If only there were clues about precisely which angle you were being attacked from...

2007-12-17 01:14:13

hey sorry, I know this is off topic
but
the psp is good, with headphones
but what about like more cmplex games for the blind, I don't need peple telling me where to go usually, but I can't do missions per say on grand theft auto

Connor