2016-03-04 07:29:06 (edited by BryanP 2016-03-04 19:15:36)

It is with a heavy heart that I must report te passing of Thomas Ward, one of our longtime audio game developers. Tomas passed away on February 8th in an Ohio hospital following a brief illness. Asidefrom being a game developer he was a good friend to many within the blind comunity. I learned of his passing only a short while ago after seeing a link to his obituar on his Facebook page. He will certainly be missed.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2016-03-04 08:05:31

I don't know this developer. Which Audio games had he made?

Feel free to follow me on Twitter @thecoolgamer4 and subscribe to my Youtube channel

2016-03-04 08:21:43

Bryan, could you share that link here please?  I'd like to view it myself too.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2016-03-04 10:27:00

Hi I know him.
He was such a gem teacher, moderater, developer, role model, and everything for me.
illness is an excuse for him. I know little bit about him.
his wife had an affair with other person since 2012
then they got a divorce with very pain and other relations were closed with his wife.
The court allowed him that he can meet his boy but cannot live with him.
He is suffering from mental illness.
but he did not lost his hope.
O my god!
Good reincarnation soon for him.
Thanks
Ishan

life's battle do not always go to the stronger and faster man,
But sooner or later who win the one who thinks he can!

2016-03-04 13:29:17

This is aweful news.

I first met tom in 2005, indeed he was I think one of the first people to greet me on the audeasy list. Sinse he moderated that list for years and was in some way my opposite number, he and I had a lot of contact over games, on list, and on this forum whether chatting about games, debating religion or politics, or just generally having enetertaining chats, I even beta tested for him at one point.

I'm highly shocked, I knew Tom well, indeed I was looking forward to his recovery sinse I really wanted to share the news about my own engagement with him as the subject of relationships and mariage was one we had previously discussed.

Unfortunately, while Tom's presence as a moderator and contributing member of the community is undoubtedly true, game wise he never seemed to get things where he wanted them. He took on a couple of projects from JAmes North of Alchemy games, which he felt he had to finish even without enthusiasm for them, he also hosted many older titles like the Pb games such as Tarzan junior. IN 2009 he did produce montizuma's return, an adaptation of the earlier 1980's games Montizuma's revenge, but due to a very greedy developing company objecting to the name and sending him a cease and decist letter the game needed to be removed from circulation, and though some betas of a 2d platformer were produced I don't think he ever showed up with them.

It is sad, I always felt Tom had the design, the understanding and the concept to produce great games however due to medical problems and I think issues with his wife and son they never came about.
Still, he will be very much hissed as a moderator, an active community member, a developer who could hold in depth discussions and an all around nice guy.

@Ishen, please do not spread rumours. it is true Tom divorced his wife and she got custody of his son, however no affair was mentioned. Also, it is not good to spread tales about "his wife murdering him or about him having a mental illness.
Please show respect for Tom's memory without slinging this sort of mud around. I know your attempting to express your anger at the situation, but please do so without voicing rumours or mudslinging, that's the last thing Tom would've wanted.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-03-04 15:10:52

When he passed away, how old is he?

2016-03-04 16:05:13

This is really shocking and very sad news...
I didn't know Tom personally, but have always respected all his great work regarding to audiogames and other projects he have worked on. His tone on mailinglists and here on the forum was always nice and very friendly, and he was really good at explaining stuff, and helped where he could. R.I.P. I don't remember how old he was, but he have had a too short life for sure. I think he was like 46 or maybe younger. I'm still shocked...

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2016-03-04 16:28:47

RIP Thomas Ward.
I never knew Thomas personally, but I found him to be a great contributer to this forum, and to the VI community in general. It's really sad to hear of his passing, and I too only heard about this recently. I was on facebook today when I heard the news, and it completely shocked me.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2016-03-04 17:49:43

totaly shocking. like it was said earlier, his tone while talking here or elsewhere was always so nice and his atitude so helpful that even without any personal contact, I feel sad.

friends:
come and join my
facebook group!

2016-03-04 17:50:31

He will be missed without a doudt. There isn't anything I can say without repeting what others have said. I thought about grabbing what I can from USAgames to save in my memorys of tom folder. The more I think about it, the more I wish he didn't... I have heard the he was ill and might recover on the audyssey list, but I don't check that list as much as I should and now I see this post. He will be missed.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2016-03-04 18:34:26

I will post the important points of his passing.
  Thomas Ward, age 38, of Millersburg, Ohio passed away Monday, February
8th, 2016 at Pomerene Hospital, Millersburg, Ohio following a brief
illness. Thomas was born January 15th, 1978 in Wooster, Ohio
In 1985 USA Games president and founder, Thomas Ward, discovered he had an eye disease called Optic Atrophy. Over the following years the disease damaged his optic nerves leaving Thomas blinded for life. However, prier to losing his vision he had time to enjoy many classic video games including such titles
as: Packman, Space Invaders, Double Dragon, Star Wars, Tomb Raider, and more. He dreamed one day to make his own games he himself could play even though
he was blind.

In the fall of 1997 Thomas Ward entered college at Wright State University located in Dayton Ohio. While at Wright State Thomas began taking courses in
computer science. Two of his favorite fields were software design and computer network administration. He knew almost from the beginning he wanted to design
software made for people with blindness and other physical disabilities.

In the spring of 2004 Thomas ward founded USA Games Entertainment. A privately owned online game company dedicated to making audio games for the blind and
low vision driven by sound rather than graphics. His first accessible audio game for Microsoft Windows was Final Conflict, and soon many more were in production
as well

In the spring of 2006 USA Games took over production of Alchemy Game Studios’ Montezuma’s Revenge and Raceway projects.Both projects have increased interest
in USA Games’s products, and have been updated with new features, sound effects, ideas, and have been made better than before.

In addition to games USA Games founder, Thomas Ward, has been active in the testing, research, and development of open source accessibility technologies
for FreeBSD, Linux, and Solaris operating systems.
His web site:
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com/

2016-03-04 18:57:13

Yup, and a few people over on Audyssey are already asking what's going to happen to his games. One is evenseeming to imply that his wife murdered him and that he has no loving family to grieve his passing when in fact he does.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2016-03-04 19:14:59

I don't want to sound like I'm speaking ill of the dead, but Thomas' death is surprising to me in more ways than it just being unexpected.  Reading through everything that has been posted about him lately, I apparently didn't know the man at all.  It feels like everyone is talking about some other guy, who happens to have the same name.

The good thing about this is that the "real" Thomas seems to have had a positive impact on many here in the audio games community.  That is a very good thing, and clearly he will be both remembered and missed.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2016-03-04 19:17:36 (edited by BryanP 2016-03-04 20:06:24)

He was there for a lot of us personally. He and I have been FB friends for several years and he used to comment on a lotof my statuses.

2016-03-04 23:32:29

RIP, Tom.

"I've learned that this life's not just a game, just a line, between the pleasures and the pain." - Aaron Lewis

2016-03-05 00:26:43

R.I.P Tom. I never knew Tom personally, but he was always such an inspiring person. No matter what people said about him, he always continued to inspire other blind people (such as myself). He will forever be missed.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2016-03-05 05:15:18

Wow! This is shocking, especially so soon after we lost another great gamer and person in Jim Kitchen. I'm glad I checked the news here as I can never get facebook to work right for me so don't go on much. I still have most of his games he had released and play them. I hope someone in the family keeps his site up or someone here hosts his games as they should not be lost. I didn't know him personally, but I have read many of his posts on the forums here and he seemed kind, informative and willing to help/discuss a lot of different topics.

I'm guessing the funeral might be done, but was there a place we could send cards or something, anyone know? Keep the family in your prayers of whatever religion you follow and wish Tom eternal peace and rest.

2016-03-05 07:04:06

wow, 38? that's too young to die. you will be missed, Thomas.

2016-03-05 07:05:16

Wow this really sucks.
Tom had an idea of making mainstream games more accessable.
final conflict2 and a few other games were due for release at some point he also took on everyone elses dead projects, dan z and a few other things, Though he hasn't been that active he has been one of the most open devs I know even after the james north desaster.
Sadly well yeah.
We do know he had some family issues, and to be honest bar the little snippits we had with him on the games list we barely knew the guy.
I do wander what will happen to all those that have ordered stuff that he took over and preordered stuff he took over.
I guess that is life, final conflict was really good, Though he had only 1 actual game  one of his dreams was a linux distro in fact he swore by linux as a primary os something that only a couple friends actually swear buy.
We all use windows of some sort most of us anyway.
Well I do hope he is enjoying cilican heaven or something that really sucks.
I was closer to tom in one way as I was briefly a tester for final conflict1 and in fact this really was the reason I got into trek related junket for games.
The only thing I regret is I will never see what else he has to offer.
For the record all we know about his wife is she chucked out all his computer junk.
Mum threatens that she will chuck out junk she does that to dad but nothing happens with it all though we have chucked a lot of junk we still have a lot.

2016-03-05 13:55:37

@Aprone, I think to a large extent developers often get seen for their games or other development work, rather than as people. To a lot of people Tom Ward will be the guy who took over race way and montizuma's revenge orders from alchemy and who hosted a lot of old games like the pb and DanZ titles on his site. He however did a lot more than that ust like everyone. First in his development work, always had a great understanding of game mechanics having owned virtually every games console and computer going from several old Atari machines, a nes, snes, Sega MEgadrive (genesis), going right up to an Xbox, gameboy advanced, Ps3 and several modern machines (if his wife threw these things out this is sad indeed!),

He played these often with sighted assistance or along with his son, sinse he lost his site early on and found himself unable to play many  more modern games. His understanding of game mechanics and what made a good game was always exceptional,  whether talking about arcade titles back in the Atari days or modern fps, which is one reason I was always a little sad that he never quite got to the position where he made as many games as he desired.

Outside of games though he had a lot of interests. he was a keen scifi buff and a life long Trecky, indeed he'd read a hole lot of expanded universe fiction, one reason why his first game was startrek final conflict, a slightly more modern adaptation of Trek 2000 from Gma games with next gen sounds and uptodate ship mechanics.
He was also a huge starwars fan (I'm sorry I never heard his opinion on the new film).

He read a lot of  sf and horror, but was in general less of a fantasy nut, indeed as I said I just finished Phantoms by Dean Koontz which was a book Tom recommended, he was also into steven King and John Saul.

one other major thing about Tom, is that he loved stuff that was going on. if people check the monthly topics, you'll find many contributions by tom about Christmas, halloween, and other public occasions in his town, festivities which he enjoyed a lot, especially sinse he could share them with his son. We also had some quite entertaining discussions of English vs American food and word choices (information I'm finding very useful myself at the moment given I'm marrying an American).

Tom himself did not have an easy life, and not just because he died so  young. he met his wife rather early and they fell in love without being exactly friends. Tom always had a keen interest and knolidge of science and rationalism,  while his wife and her family were very much right wing, ultra religious christians (he once told me his wife's relatives objected when he referd to "deviled eggs" at a picknick). This created major problems for his relationship, for example I know they argued about his Son's schooling, sinse where Tom wanted him to have a secula education, Tom's wife wanted his son to go to an ultra religious school and Tom found it highly difficult when for example his son told him that at school they'd learned scientists lied about the existance of dinosaurs.

This gave Tom a somewhat Jaundiced  view of religion, particularly because where he was inclined to a more natural position, believing in things like process theology, his wife and her relatives wouldn't accept anything but strict adherence to their belief system. (one reason I was so annoyed it said "tom Attended several churches" in his obituary).

Tom did campaign against religiously intolerant legislation, for example some laws that were passed in the states which made it very hard for homosexuals to get jobs, and I know he counted himself a rationalist, and somewhere between an agnostic and a complete atheist, although he admited himself that this was mostly due to his less than ideal contact with his wife's christian relations.

He also had a facial problem which made it extremely difficult for his speaking voice to be heard, and this, combined with the fact that in his town there really wasn't much by way of activity beyond church related things made circumstances rather difficult.

On list, and on the forum Tom was always a nice guy, but undoubtedly was a very human man, occasionally prone to fits of annoyence, even in his moderating. However one thing I always respected very much about Tom is he was very prepared to admit when he'd spoken out of anger, and was a man who was fully aware of his own imperfections, which is something that very few people can do.

Personally, I counted Tom as a friend, someone who I'd known very well for the 10 years I've been in the audiogames community. I conversed with him on this forum, on the audeasy mailing list and occasionally by private e-mail on a dayly basis, I even beta tested and discussed having a friend of mine voice act for one of his games.

Over the last few monthly topics, I've very much missed seeing Tom's updates, likewise I don't think the audeasy list will ever be the same without him.

I can't say what'll happen to his games or anything else, but personally I can say I've lost someone who was as close a friend as someone can be over the internet, and I hope some of these reminiscences will give people an idea of the man I personally knew, perhaps not always a happy man or an easy man, but certainly a good man and a good friend.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-03-05 19:37:53

Dark I really enjoyed your post!  This paints a very different picture of Tom than I had ever seen, and that's a good thing.  That is the type of description you hope to hear about someone when they pass, because it helps you understand more about the guy and who he was.

I never got to see this brighter side of Thomas, probably just because we clashed heads almost immediately.  When I showed up on the audio games scene, he took actual offense to the techniques I used when making my games.  We had multiple off-list arguments, when he'd go out of his way to send me insulting/condescending rants.  Haha!  I know I'm walking a fine line saying anything that seems so negative, given the current situation, but talking about the small dark spots still helps people understand who he was as a person.  When I die, there are going to be quite a few co-workers who saw me as nothing but a jerk who wouldn't give them the time of day.  I've led a few programming teams who would probably pee on my grave too!  big_smile

Reading Thomas' obituary was so surprising to me mostly due to his age and education actually.  When he was hammering me for doing things differently than he wanted, there were times he threw age and education up as reasons why his views were superior to mine.  Without going into specifics, he presented himself to me as being much older than he really was.  I'm only 4 years younger than him as it turns out, but went all of this time thinking he was somewhere in his late 40s.  I was "almost young enough to be his kid", so I had a lot to learn about how things are done.  He also claimed to have university degrees at the master's level, which I guess he didn't get during 2 years of community college.  Knowing what degrees I have he was willing to say that if I had the degrees he has, my views might be worth as much as his.  Basically I only got to see the "Internet Thomas", who was running on the anonymity of the internet to puff himself up.

Now again, I know I'm on thin ice here, and I'm not meaning to upset anyone.  For years it hasn't been a secret that I didn't like Thomas very much, and believe me I had good reasons for feeling that way.  What I am enjoying, and the reason I've shared a bit about his darker alter-ego, is to contrast who he "really" was.  The world sucks when you run into bad people, and any time you find out that one of those bad people is actually good, it brightens everything.  I finally get to read about this person and see him in a whole new light!  It's a shame it happens only after he is gone, but isn't that always how it works out?  smile

So Dark, I once again thank you for your insightful post.  When my co-workers start peeing on my grave, hopefully someone will explain to them the real me with as much success as you've done with Thomas above.  I guess that's all I can hope for.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2016-03-05 20:30:11

I am very sad to see Tom's passing.
38 is far too young, and while Tom might have irritated me at times, he certainly deserved to enjoy a longer life and a happier one as well.
The Audyssey list will feel strange without his presence.

@Dark, amazing post, it helps me understand Tom so much more.
@Aprone, thanks for your honesty, though people try to focus on the good after someone's death, knowing the good and bad about a person help us more fully understand them.

Everyone has good and bad parts about them, and knowing both makes people feel more human and connected to me.
And that makes me feel even more sorry at their passing.

~ Ian Reed
Visit BlindGamers.com to rate blind accessible games and see how others have rated them.
Try my free JGT addon, the easy way to play Japanese games in English.
Or try the free games I've created.

2016-03-06 00:34:21 (edited by BryanP 2016-03-06 00:36:04)

True Aprone. Then there was that lovely time, although you probably weren't around, when Tom finally got fed up with the legal issues he kept running into with Montezuma/MOTA and some blind gamers' stubborn refusal to allow him the leeway to make some changes to the project, both for legal and personal reasons, and he lashed out on list. To be fair he did eventually recognize that mistake after he'd calmed down. I for one had lots of chats with him on Facebook about a lot of different topics.  Sometimes when I'd post a fragment of lyric from a rock song he was familiar with we'd get into long chats about the particular bannd or about Rock music in general. Being a guitarist myself, albeit not a very good one, I always liked the fact that Tom was one as well.

2016-03-06 02:39:18

Bryan I was around for that, or at least I was around for one of those.  From what I hear, there was more than 1 melt down over the years.

As a developer, I can understand melt downs, ROFL!

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2016-03-06 02:42:23

@Aprone, I don't know about Tom's qualifications. I do know he had done a lot of investigation concerning programming, and I agree, I was surprised myself when I found out he was only five years older than I am (I thought of him in his fourties too).
I won't make excuses, Tom was not always an easy person to get on with, especially in matters concerning programming and technology. Perhaps it is because he felt he did not recieve respect over his knolidge and abilities elsewhere in his life, perhaps he was defensive over insults I don't know (I recall the arguement I had with him regarding Windows xp).

One thing I will say though, is Tom Was always prepared to admit when he'd been wrong, or to calm down after an arguement. He was never someone who tended to bare a grudge, albeit he could be acerbic, and perhaps even arrogant at times, however he was never cruel, petty or actively unfare.

Personally I remember him most as the person who would always have chats on any subject no matter what, on the audeasy list his monthly post counts (post counts kept by the late Jim Kitchin), were always vying with mine for numbers, indeed a monthly ritual on list was a little light dyssing between Tom and I over who had more posts big_smile.

Personally, I'd want people when I die to remember me as I am, and hay, i make no bones about being perfect, a long way from it, and wouldn't want people to start sanctifying me postumously anymore than I'd want vilifying.

I'm me, and that's how I'd want people to think of me, and I'm pretty sure Tom would think the same.