2016-03-01 09:23:49 (edited by ambro86 2016-03-01 09:25:30)

Hi Magurp, as I promised I've tried BrushTone with my braille display, and all is ok. The braille display make easier to visualize the images. I've tried for now only with simple images, like lines, squares, full squares and circles. The function resize images is very cool for braille display, because my braille display as 16 caracter, so I can resize the image in that way.
Good job!

2016-03-01 23:32:28

Well thats good to know! Thanks for all your, and CAE_Jones, feedback. I hope everyone enjoys and finds BrushTone useful! Heh.

If there are any further issues, feel free to let me know.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2016-03-02 22:13:51 (edited by magurp244 2016-03-02 22:58:08)

Oops. Wait a minute, are you using the Resize function in the Canvas menu to shrink down the image for easier viewing? If so, you should try using the "Stretch" function in the Image menu instead. The two functions are very similar but have one very important difference. The Stretch function can shrink down both the image and the canvas the image is on, giving you a miniature version of the whole image. The Resize function however will only shrink the canvas, not! the image on the canvas. So if you use the Resize tool to shrink the image, you'll end up with only the lower left corner of it.

2016-03-03 06:29:33

Thanks Magurp for your hint! Now I want to try your program with real photos and real images, also complex, like nature and persons. I will tell you! I've tried for now with a photo, but the program views me only some line, but I can't understand that is a photo of a person. But I don't know if is a problem of the photo. I will try with Others.

2016-03-03 09:48:12

I wanted to draw a picture that was gold and silver on a black background. I got the whole thing black, but then I could not change the color. Also, I don't know how to get the sonifyer to work, or to get the scann feature to give me anything different then it's original pitch. When I press q it does one click, then silence, no matter what image it's on, that is unless it's on loop scann, then it does repeated clicks. I am using an old machine that is currently running windows 10. i guess I will have to go back to my homework now. sad lol

2016-03-03 22:56:23

Hmm. By default BrushTone automatically creates a 64 by 64 black canvas on start up. If your not hearing anything other than a click with the sonifier or the same low pitch with the window scan, then that would imply that the canvas is entirely black, for whatever reason. Try loading some of the sample images like "dithering.png" and enable Batch Mode and Loop Mode, if its loading any of the images properly that should give some results. Whenever a new image is loaded, it will replace and push the previous image back on the stack, and you can switch between them by pressing "tab", but it will not replace or delete images in the process. So if you load an image on start up, the default black canvas will be pushed back on the stack and the new loaded image will be displayed.

For color, you can press any of the number keys from 0 to 9 on the keyboard, but to customize them you have to press and hold a number key. You can then press the up and down arrow keys to select a color by name, press the right arrow key to customize its RGB values, or press the left arrow key to pick a color from the canvas to replace the currently selected color.

2016-03-03 23:36:03

I tried this, but it seems to think the sample images are black as well. I could change the yellow color to gold, but once i had selected the canvas, and filled it with black, the number keys no longer told me the colors. I tried changing the tool, but I still couldn't get my colors. the sonifyer making click noises for my black canvas makes sense, but it doesn't change when i change the canvas.

2016-03-04 00:26:12

You say you selected the canvas and filled it with Black, are you using the Select Tool or Select Canvas function to replace the color of the canvas? Can you describe what steps you take to fill the canvas with black?

2016-03-04 03:33:55

I tried selecting black, then hitting the select tool first, then the edit menu let me choose  select canvas. after this, my whole canvas was black. How many spaces are their supposed to be in the coordinates though? I pressed space along with one of the arrow keys, and it got stuck going and going to the right until i was at like 3000 or something like that. And it was black too! lol

2016-03-04 04:19:44 (edited by magurp244 2016-03-04 07:12:47)

Bleh. I've found a few bugs involving the Select Tool and Select Canvas functions, so thanks for digging them up, heh. It seems if you pick the Select Tool, hit space, then use the Select Canvas function, it won't deselect properly. Another issue seems to be if you select a region, then change the tool it will glitch out until you pick the select tool again and hit space. I'm putting together a fix now and i'll upload it in a bit.

The Select Canvas function will automatically select the whole canvas, which will replace the canvas with the currently selected color, but it will also hold on to the previous region for you to move around. Selected regions aren't bound by the canvases borders, which is why it went so far, the number keys for selecting colors will also not work, and the Sonifier will only scan that selected region until deselected. Instead of the normal 3 tones that play per pixel, it will only play one standard tone when a region is selected. Bugs aside, you can deselect a region by pressing space, using the "cut" option in the edit menu, or pressing backspace to delete it. You  can tell if you have a selected region by holding "C", normally it should say "Canvas X by Y", if it says "Region X by Y" then you currently have a selected region.

Edit: just finished uploading the update, let me know if theres any further issues.

2016-03-04 10:15:15 (edited by arcadia 2016-03-04 11:08:04)

I saw you updated the program, but the link wasn't working so I continued to work with the old version. It seems that while canvases used to be white by default, my infatuation with making things black has now made the default color for all canvases black. smile  Rather than trying to change this, i simply drew with the existing colors with the pencil tool, and succeeded at making lots of rainbow squares. I had started to make a red and black checkerboard, but then I wanted to hear the other colors. I managed to change colors to ones that were already named, but haven't ventured in to the unamed yet. I hadn't spent much time with the seeing with sound app when i had my old droid, so the slow scann actually gave me more information than the sonifyer, but I can say that it did work this time. I also showed it to a couple of my sighted roomates, and they said that they could see the colors! I do have one question, can you draw on old canvases, or do I have to make all pictures in one sitting. It would be nice if I could keep working on a picture all semester instead of missing one or 2 complete nights of homework to do it.

Also, another question, do you have to do undo, or is there a way to erase things?

later edit. I tried to draw this inca symbol I felt while in Peru. however, the middle was supposed to be a small circle. the circle drawing tool seems to be rather contankerous and stops drawing. I ended up having lots of gold spots in random places, so I used the line tool instead. It seems you can only draw the line along one axis, so I went back over it. I guess I should've used a square. lol
I also tried to save the picture, but the voice does not read what you are typing, or what letter the cursor is on in the box to enter the file name. Luckily it read it at the end, so I could quit and save it again without having to rename it in file explorer. If anyone is curious, here is the image I tried to draw. the symbol is in the bottom left, with one of it's corners around (1,5).
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/183 … ymbol1.png

For all the people who want a "musical" picture, try a line of gray, silver, white. smile

2016-03-04 23:01:28

Hm, that seems like a pretty good representation of an Inca Cross, good job!

In traditional paint programs, erasing things is more just painting over them with a default color. In MS Paints case, its the color white. So technically you can "erase" things by painting over them with the color Black, which is BrushTones default. You can also wipe a region of a canvas by using the select tool to grab a region and replace it with black on the canvas, then delete the selected region by pressing backspace.

The circle tool admittedly doesn't work too well when working with sizes of around 1 or 2 pixels. When you first press space it places an anchor, it then draws a circle outward from that anchor point, the distance between the anchor and the cursor being the radius. So, if you move the cursor 3 spaces from the anchor point, you would be drawing a circle 6 pixels in length. Also the circle tool won't draw anything if your only going along one axis. The Line tool should work along both X and Y axis' simultaneously though. Also not sure why the save system wouldn't be speaking the names of the keys being pressed either, does it say anything when you press backspace to delete typed letters?

2016-03-05 00:48:23

No, the backspace does not read characters in the filename. I thought the circle or line stuff wouldn't work with my space being so small, but i figured i would try anyway. coloring over with black was what I usually did. so the default color for canvases is black. I thought I had messed it up. lol Is there a way you can make the pitch range greater for the beeps? I know there will always be colors that are hard to distinguish, but a greater difference might make this somewhat easier.

2016-03-05 01:35:21 (edited by magurp244 2016-03-05 02:00:17)

Hm, this would be the second time the TTS outputs been flaking out. I'm not really sure whats up with that, it might be system specific since it seems to effect people sporatically, at least from the reports i've gotten so far and my own tests.

Unfortunately no, there is no implemented way of increasing the pitch range. The pitch currently covers a range between 0.5 to 1.5 to represent numerical values from 0 to 255, if I tried pushing it any higher it would distort the audio and cause artifacts, if its much lower it would be difficult to hear it at all. It could be possible to narrow the range, such as having it only view color values from 0 to 125, or 85 to 170, but that would prevent users from percieving colors outside those ranges. Design wise the current system isn't necessarily a bad thing, if there are very small differences in colors that make it hard to tell the difference between tones via sound, there's a very good chance that sighted users would have a hard time telling the difference visually too. Well, unless their tetrachromats.

You can press and hold the "Z" key though and it should speak the raw numerical RGB values of the color under the cursor, which you can use to compare with adjacent colors for greater accuracy.

2016-03-09 17:06:01

I really like this so far ^^ Great job...
My biggest concern is the size of the Picture you Draw...64*64 pixels doesn't sound like a Whole lot, and probably becomes quite jagged if you scale it up, but I could be wrong. Another thing that would be neat to have is the ability to enter the coordinates for the line/Square/you name it, instead of having to move around. I know I'd personally Draw faster that way...At least I think I will...Hehe.
Either way, pretty nifty. smile

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2016-03-09 21:46:28

So, I was drawgin this thingie...And discovered that there wasn't enough Space at the bottom to finish the stuff, so I decided to try to cut and paste it a bit higher on the canvas...I can't seem to figure out how to do this though...
I placed an anchor at 0,0, then went to something like 50,63 and selected that. Then I went to the edit menu and pressed enter on cut, so far so good, stuff was replaced by selected colour and all...
I then went to 0,5 and entered the edit menu Again, hitting enter on paste, and it now moves around on a selected region with the selected colour...Not sure if it's supposed to do that...I've also tried pasting after making an anchor point, still no luck...
What am I doing wrong? Lol.

2016-03-09 22:17:48

I started it up, but it seems to use a random sapi, even though that's not the sapi voice I have selected as the main voice. this is quite problematic, because the voice that this program is using isn't an English voice, so it's hard for me to work with it for now. can't find any option to change the voice this is using, but maybe I missed it.

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2016-03-09 23:29:35

@AlexN94
Chances are it would end up pixellated if you scaled it up, but that depends on the style. Pixel Art usually work anywhere from 8 by 8 to full screen in sizes, and depending on your approach jaggedness could be part of the appeal, heh. You could also draw a whole image using smaller 64x64 "tiles" then paste them together to form a larger image, as the case may be. Having said all that you can increase the size of the canvas by using the "Resize" function in the Canvas menu, and if you want to scale an image up or down use the "Stretch" function in the Image menu.

When pasting images it loads the Copy Buffer into an Active Buffer, in this state you use the arrow keys to move around the pasted image, which is the same as selecting a region, the pixel tones will be replaced with a single generic tone, and you will not be able to select new colors. Technically your "holding on" to the selected region to position it on the canvas, to paint the selected region on to the canvas you press Space Bar.

Hm, i've also seen a few other programs use a typed input feature for drawing shapes, but I wasn't entirely convinced at how useful it would be compared to a more "hands on" approach. There don't appear to be any conflicts in key input to prevent putting in such a feature for tools though, so i'll see what I can do.

@Mayana
The way the TTS voice is setup it scan's the list of available voices, and if more than one is available it picks the second one, whichever one that may be. It seems that this is less than ideal, i'll work on adding a menu system to allow users more control for configuring the TTS functions.

2016-03-09 23:50:25 (edited by AlexN94 2016-03-09 23:56:13)

[EDIT]
Never mind, I figured it out...
I was under the assumption that you selected where the lower left corner would be pasted, not the upper right one...It Works just fine now smile
[/EDIT]

When I press the spacebar it just says "region deselected", and when I move over the image it just seems to be whatever chosen colour has been used, the drawing seems to be gone...Or at least I can't find it anywhere...
How would I go around, say, pasting it at 0,10? I've zoom set at 8, if that Means anything...

2016-03-10 00:02:40

The position of the anchor and cursor are saved in copied images, so however you selectedthe image, thats how it will paste. So for example if you select an image from the lower right to the upper left, when pasted the anchor will be in the lower right relative to the cursors position.

2016-03-10 00:26:10

I see... I suppose I'll have to fool around with it a bit more to fully get the hang on it, hehe.
The result of my struggles can be found here - I tried to combine this with Braille drawing, so this is what I got from following a guide on how to Draw a kitten...
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3675982/kitten.jpg

2016-03-10 06:03:41

Nice! Kind of reminds me of those Japanese lucky cat statues, heh.

I've just uploaded version 1.2.1 which includes a few little fixes and cleaned up the TTS a bit and added a new select function. Pressing F7 will cycle through all available TTS voices, so hopefully that helps fix the language issue.

I've been thinking about your suggestion AlexN94 for direct coordinate input using tools. I think what I may do is make it so when selecting a tool you can enter an X and Y coordinate like you can with the Resize Tool. The current position of the cursor would then act as the anchor allowing a way to create shapes without having to pan the cursor so much. What are your thoughts on that?

2016-03-10 16:54:33 (edited by AlexN94 2016-03-10 17:16:32)

[EDIT]
I just saw that the link in the topic I posted doesn't Work...Silly DropBox...Oh well...
[/EDIT]

[EDIT2]
I'm not sure what version this is, but it should still give an idea of how it works...I think...
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/367 … Editor.zip
I seem to recall a feature that would allow you to place markers on the map that you could jump between for quicker getting back to where you were, but maybe I'm just making that up...Either way, it would be a nice thing to have still. Seeing how this is a map editor, there's probably also a ton of stuff that's quite irrelevant for drawing, but I can just remember how I thought that it'd be a nice Tool for making drawings, if it was modified slightly... ^^
[/EDIT2]

I'm generally more a fan of edit boxes rather than the way you've made it here, to be honest, but this still Works just fine, so no real problem there. Your idea sounds good to me though, I especially like the cursor being the anchor.
I'm kinda reminded of Cae Jones' map maker for Swamp, it sorta worked in the same way, and I suppose, given that terrains had different colours when the map was loaded, that you could make some sort of pixel art with those too. You could try taking a look at that for inspiration I guess. There's a link to the topic here:
http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.php?id=7759
And now to download the update you've made ^^

[EDIT3]
When switching between TTS voices, or using tab for that matter, a way to go backwards with something like shift+tab/shift+F7 would be quite nice...Along with a way to control the speed/pitch of the chosen voice. So far so good though, I really like this ^^
[/EDIT3]

2016-03-11 01:08:08

I'm familiar with the Swamp Map Editor, CAE_Jones was kind enough to share a copy with me, heh. I think he may have mentioned being able to place anchor points and such in relation to the select tool. Earlier in development I played around with the idea, but ran into conflicts when implementing the other tools so kind of side stepped it. From what I can tell the Swamp Editor allows you to place one marker to snap back to at any time, looking at it now I think I can implement that with something like Shift+R to set it, and R to snap back.

I'll try implementing the coordinate changes to the Tool menu and put some more polish on the TTS menu, I can also add a Shift+Tab to move back on the canvas stack as there can be a lot of images loaded, and apply a way to change the rate of speech. Unfortunately there is no pitch control with the current API i'm using.

2016-03-11 02:35:55

That all sounds pretty great though smile Pitch isn't much of a problem either I'd imagine, at least the rate seems more important.
Looking forward.