2016-10-24 13:53:15

I found the problem. It took me a while because it wasn't the game itself, but the backup and archival routines written to keep the databases clean. The computer that runs them randomly stopped seeing the backup disk, so I was running them randomly by hand. Unfortunately there is some bug in my algorithm that this tweaked and it was archiving active players. :-(
I've turned off the backup for now while I try to determine a fix.
If you PM me here your callsign (or post to the StarLanes forum) I'll reset what I can and pay out 500+500 talents for finding the bug, and being hit by the bug.

2016-10-24 15:01:47

damn I wish I could play this game....

2016-10-24 15:06:21

If you have an iPhone or anything that supports the Roger app, you can.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2016-10-24 15:09:00

what! how! I do have an iPhone how can I play it without an ecco

2016-10-24 21:21:23

I've searched for Roger on the app store, but don't find anything useful.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2016-10-24 21:25:21

oh I have rojer on my phone but I fale to see the significants of it.

2016-10-24 22:06:33

There's a way to add Alexa as someone you can talk to via Roger. Last I used it, it was a little clunky. It tended to chop off part of what was said. And I can't remember the instructions... But I found this article here:

https://www.cnet.com/news/roger-app-let … our-phone/

I can categorically say that StarLanes will be available on additional platforms in the future. But, looking at things realistically, we're probably talking early Q1 next year. It depends on how a few things go. This will hopefully open things up a bit wider.

2016-10-24 22:11:05

ok so what platforms will you be adding too?

2016-10-24 22:19:42

thanks. unfortunately the page keeps freezing up my screen reader so I can't access it. could someone please paste the info into this thread as to what to do?

2016-10-24 22:25:59

Well, I'm under NDA about the most interesting one. So I can't talk about that for another month or so.

But the technology that gets me there also has options for getting to services like Facebook Messenger, Slack, Twillio, Skype, Kik, LINE, Cortana and a few others. I have to admit that I don't even recognize half of those. I'm not sure that it makes sense to make something like a Slack interface for StarLanes. But I can see something like Facebook of Skype being interesting. I'm open to opinions on what people think. If you are familiar with any of these and how much of a match you think they would be for a game like StarLanes.

2016-10-24 22:36:32

what about whats-app with it's voice messaging feature?

2016-10-24 22:46:10

ok so I have used rojer to connect to alexa how can I connect to starlanes now?

2016-10-25 00:59:47

ok so I'm on starlanes now. is there a way I can find out what my faction owns and where? I seem to bee all in enemy space at the moment lol. boston is surrounded by all enemy faction stuff lol.

2016-10-25 12:33:51

ok guys so can you give me some tips on this game? I've read through the tutorial but there's obviously more commands etc to do here. any help would be appreciated.

2016-10-25 17:18:02

I'll look into What'sApp. Had me thinking though. What I'm having to adapt the game to is a conversational engine. I *think* that once I've done that, it might be easy to hook it up to anything that just reads text. So I might try a quick telnet interface.

Sounds like you joined Futatsu. Yay Futatsu! And, yeah, Hitotsu owns most everything near Boston. Let me get a map...

Boston -> Manningtree -> Crowle -> Shanklin -> Alnwick -> East Grinstead -> Tidworth

You may have to wait for high tide to go from East Grinstead to Tidworth. But once you hit Tidworth, you are in Futatsu territory. You might want to dump your drones before making the trip. Carrying drones uses fuel, but running with no load does not. You can always get more drones at Tidworth.

Futatsu has been building up strength at Tidworth for ages. The problem is that Hitotsu has been building it up on East Grinstead as well. I think the key is to get enough Futatsu players together to continue the buildup at Tidworth, and then launch a coordinated assult on either East Grinstead, or something within two jumps of Tidworth.

2016-10-25 20:10:15

ok so how can I talk to other players? map? is there a map function in the game? also whenever I ask for my callsign the game seems to bug out on me.

2016-10-25 20:29:52

By "map" I meant "I'll go, trace the route, and give the signposts". :-) There is no visual map, and by design, there never will be. It's part of the game play. Known the best way around for a ship of a certain capacity is advantageous knowledge. Players and factions may make their own, and share them as they see fit!

Messaging is currently restricted to the associated web application. You can find this on http://tsatsatzu.elasticbeanstalk.com/sl/
I'm not sure how well it is enabled for the visually impaired. But if you send me bugs, I will fix them.

Are you trying to set or find out your call sign? Setting is a little tricky. Alexa doesn't always understand letters. But you should be able to use letters or NATO call codes. "set call sign to whiskey tango foxtrot" might work better than "set call sign to W T F".

2016-10-25 22:06:15

what about making an audio map function so you could say tell me the way to such and such for example. this can only work if you've already been there though.

2016-10-25 22:26:59

I was considering adding a "how do I get to XXX" function. StarSquad really kind of needs a "where's the nearest enemy base". The thing is that it can change depending on your ship's capabilities and the tide.

I actually wrote a mapping tool that I can use as admin. But, frankly, it isn't much use. If people had it, they would skew things based on where they 'saw' visual borders. I prefer to see the borders established based on real connectivity rather than nicely drawn lines in the sand.

2016-10-26 01:16:43

that would be good especially where is the nearest friendly system.

2016-10-26 08:02:21

Hi.
I'll try to connect to the game using the iPhone audio chatting app later on. What about releasing the game on Teamtalk? Releasing it on Skype would also be fantastic, and then people could use it on all platforms.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2016-10-26 13:00:32

so any tips/tricks for me?

2016-10-26 14:52:51

also is there a way of telling how much currency I have? how can I earn currency as well is it just through doing bonus stuff? also I've been messing around with the configuration of my ship. how can I get it back to the default one?

2016-10-26 23:31:35

If you say "status", it should report many things, including how much money you have.

You can earn some money by destroying enemy ships. You can also say "bonus" to listen to an advertisement every 8 hours (I think) and earn either some drones, fuel or money. There is a quest system, and a quest you can get randomly and earn money that way. But people reported bugs in it so it is off by default. I can turn it on for your user ID if you like. You will eventually be able to buy currency through the web page, but not yet.

The default configuration for your ship is "corvette". Saying "set configuration to corvette" should reset your ship.

As far as tips, I've mostly been moving ships from the points behind Tidworth up to Tidworth. Occasionally I'd move some from Tidworth and dump on East Grinstead. But there is a lot to get through there to wear them down.

2016-10-27 01:16:18

So  what configurations do we have available to us? I ask because  I can't seem to find that information either in the game or on the wacky.

How can you destroy enemy ships