2016-09-28 13:22:22

Hi.
at Darren, I don't exactly know how expensive the echo unit will be in the UK, but over here, it will be about 170 euros, sso maybe 160 pounds or something in that region.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2016-09-28 13:54:44

yes you are about right. how easy is it for a blind person to set up?

2016-09-28 20:30:12

Hi there!

You can learn more about the Amazon Echo, by listening to the following ACB Radio Main Menu podcast recording/demonstration:

http://mainmenu.acbradio.org/file.php?m … 2015-12-18

2016-09-30 00:52:32

this sounds interesting however, I am not in the market for an echo, since I"m not interlinked into the Amazon ecosystem, just use it for occasional shopping, not a prime member, etc. So I wouldn't see the point of getting one. They seem more like a toy to me and less like a device to actually get something done, so me purchasing one to play one game doesn't make much sense to me.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2016-09-30 08:12:03

I agree. I won't get the device only for one audiogame. But this is great for those who have an Echo.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2016-10-02 11:23:40

good work on the game. im glad we finally have a different type of game to play on the echo other than trivia games, and black jack card games

maybe im doing something
wrong here but, as im traveling to different stars, im running into enemy factions, I have yet to find a star of my own faction. my attackers went from 100 to 3 lol, I wasn't sure how to play the game at first, but now since I understand it, I wish I wouldn't have dropped those attackers against a faction of 2k attackers and 2k defenders. it says I have to wait like 11hrs for more fuel, so as of right now I cant even travel to anymore stars, so im basically stuck. anyway I can earn some fuel? can I buy some with the currency that I get from bonuses?

as for everyone that doesn't own a echo I highly recommend picking one up, there are over 100s of audio games for it, plus you can use is as a blu tooth speaker for just about anything, and most of all you can stream music from a few music providers like Pandora and Spotify. they have cheaper versions of the echo like the tap

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2016-10-02 11:26:19

hey so as a player of star lanes what can you do in this game can you tell us as much about it as you can?

2016-10-02 13:31:41

im still new to the game, so ill try and explain this the best way i can lol

ok so you are on a spaceship with dromes. you start off with 100attackers, 100defenders, and 1factory drome
you are in the middle of the galaxy, between a war of two factions. these two factions are trying to rule the galaxy by conquering all of the stars around them. you can think of stars as planets.
i dont know the correct termonology for the stars and factions so ill just use something a little bit more common
so you first choose which faction you want to join. the smoovers or the gunners
after you choose a faction, you take your spaceship flying around to different planets to see if they are already conquered or available.
if the planet is already conquered, you can take it over
to take over a planet you have to deploy a greater number of dromes that are already on the planet
for example if my faction is the gunners, and we fly to fruitopia, and it is owned by the smoovers, and they have 2000 attackers, 2000defenders, and 100 factory dromes on there planet, to take it over i must deploy over 4000 dromes, and then fruitopia will now belong to the gunners and not the smoovers
factory dromes don't fight, they only build new dromes, so you dont have to worry about them when conquering a planet
now i must defend my new planet, so members of my crew can drop there dromes on fruitopia so we can increase in number to keep our defenses up. also factory dromes produce more dromes as well, and the more factory dromes we have on the planet, the faster they build other dromes to defend the planet.
now, if i go to fruitopia and i dont have the 4000 dromes to take it over, i now have to pilot my spaceship around the galaxy, looking for planets that my faction already own. once i find a planet that my faction already own like crabzone, i am going to take those dromes off our planet and put them in my spaceship, and fly back to fruitopia to take it over. now by doing this, i am weakning my planet defenses. so if my enemy faction smoovers finds crabzone, they can most likely take it over since i removed most of the dromes off that planet, to take over one of there own planets. so it seems like if you don't communicate with other real players in your faction, and come up with some type of strategy, then you can really be going in circles, or losing planets left and right by not having enough dromes on them at a time. im still new to this, but i think you communicate with other players on the game through star lanes forum and through captain messages that you can write on the website or the ap.
your spaceship runs on fuel of course, so you only can make a certain amount of moves before you run out of fuel, and you are pretty much stuck on a planet, until it fills back up.
so how you play the game is yu give your echo voice commands and she does them accordingly, so think of your echo as a keyboard.
so the game will go something like this
note: your echo name is alexa
note: these are the voice commands you actually use in the game
note: these are not the exact words alexa says back to you, but its in that ball park
alexa: welcome to star lanes, what faction will you join
you: the gunners
you: where am i
alexa: you are on the planet crabzone, with fruitopia, pencilites, and carbro, around you
you: go to fruitopia
alexa: blasting off to fruitopia
sound effect plays
you: what is here
alexa: there are 500attackers, 5defenders, and 100 factory dromes owned by smoovers
you: drop 10 attackers
alexa: deploying 10attackers
sound effect
alexa: 5 of fruitopia attackers have been destroyed, and 10 of yours have been destroyed
you: what do i have now
alexa: you now have 90attackers, 100defenders, 1 factory drome
alexa: 495attackers 5deefenders 100factory dromes owned by smoovers
you: what is near by
alexa: nearby is crabzone, pencilites, and zoobrats
you: take me to crabzone
alexa: flying to crabzone
sound effect
alexa: 1000attackers 1000defenders 100factory owned by the gunners
you: take 500attackers
alexa: taking 500attackers
you: drop 90defenders
you: drop 1 factory drome
alexa: 500attackers 1090defenders 101factory dromes owned by gunners
you: what do i have
alexa: 590attackers, 10defenders, 0factory dromes
you: how much fuel do i have
alexa: you have 200tons of gas, you have enough for 2more trips, you fuel will become full in 10hrs
you: take me to fruitopia
ok and thats pretty much how it works. there are alot more voice commands, and things to do, but my fingers are tired of typing now lol but thats pretty much the basics so hopefully you guys get a drift of the game. its a really cool concept, i like itok well ill try and explain this the best way I can lol

2016-10-02 20:22:27

so how do you get more fuel then apart from it building up then. I mean you ar going to make quite a few trips in an rl day right?
what is this startrades I keep reading about
as well.

2016-10-03 05:42:08

that's what I originally asked him in a few posts above, only way I know to get back your fuel as of now is to let it build up gradually in real time.....and not sure what startrades is

2016-10-03 08:23:06

Wow. Thanks for the great explanation about how the game works. Sounds cool. So is it played online as a multiplayer game or is it single player only?
I thought this was the only audio game for the echo. Time to see if I can get it here in my country... smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2016-10-03 13:39:44

its a multi player game.....just kind of think of it as a space mud.....they have 100s of audio games for the echo, but I must warn you, they are mainly trivia games, and card games, which means you will think its cool at first but will eventually get bored with the same song and dance......starlanes is some what of a breath of fresh air

2016-10-03 15:00:59

so apart from sorting out drones what else can you do in it you mentioned that there are more things to do. how big is the universe? does it get expanded if so how?

2016-10-03 15:43:43

Sounds cool that this is a multiplayer game.
The Echo is not available in my country yet... sad

Best regards SLJ.

2016-10-03 16:11:38

yes I don't get why amazon has been so slow in the distribution of the ecco.

2016-10-03 18:37:05

yes the universe does get expanded.....there is a high tide that happens at different times of the day, when it happens you can reach different planets

when I said there are different things you can do, I should have said different voice commands that you can say, like while on a planet, you can ask for a description of how it looks, a description of your environment, different details about your ship, you also earn different badges by doing different things. your main focus of the game is to figure out a way with your faction, how to conquer the most planets. no way you can do it by yourself, you start off with a little bit of dromes, and if you take to many dromes from a planet you already own, you are leaving it wide open for attack

2016-10-03 19:37:13

so can you upgrade your ship?

2016-10-04 11:16:33

that much I don't know, he is coming out with another update, so if that feature is not in there then im pretty sure he will add it

2016-10-04 14:18:19

can you keep us updated as to what is happening on the game? I take it you can't as of yet talk to players in the game? apart from using the forums?

2016-10-08 17:48:23

ok this is pissing me off. why starlanes keeps resetting me? i sware, i played, exited, gone to bed, came back and i was back on bosten or something, this sucks.

2016-10-09 03:51:01

Holy crap! I had this page loaded for the last week, but totally failed to notice there was a page two. My apologies for not replying sooner!

I'm glad you are enjoying StarLanes, and find it one of the most engaging games for the Echo. One of the points of writing it was to prove that the Echo could be a games platform. Unfortunately that hasn't been as enthusiastically welcomed by Amazon as I had hoped. But I'll stow my ranting and try to stay focused on your questions.

Sounds like you are in Futatsu. (I am too.) We have a nearby pocket of space you can get to from East Grinstead at high tide. I am aware there is a gameplay problem where the space near the start is rather entrenched and the number of players isn't high enough so that one side can mount the flotilla necessary to change ownership. I have a ton of ships in Tidworth waiting to unleash fury on East Grinstead, but I can't port enough on one tank of gas. Solutions I'm looking at is having ship count degrade in systems that don't have regular faction visitors. Also, the first companion game will be StarSquad, where you can send in squads to "take out that field generator", and sabotage the specific builds on a system that make it hard to fight.

Fuel does regenerate over time. It's about 12 hours to get a full tank. Note, though, that you only need fuel if you are carrying drones. If you are empty, you can always transition. The bonuses you earn can buy fuel. Just say "buy fuel" and it should guide you through it. The currency is not yet available for purchase for real money. That's a feature for 4.0 that is being worked on right now.

StarTrade is one of the companion games in development. It adds trade gameplay to the universe. Turns out those worlds you see in StarLanes are just the main worlds of each star system. There are, often, other worlds in each system. The jump beacon is only on the main world, and since StarLanes gameplay is focused on strategic warfare, that's all that matters. In StarTrade you can move between the planets within a system, trading in the basic commodities: energy, minerals and biologicals. You can purchase transport between systems.

StarScout will be another companion game with a focus on exploration. Turns out the only planets you see in StarTrade are those with colonies on them. There are other planets that you can scout out and survey. There are also other systems that your scout ship can get to without a jump beacon. You can explore those too and even work up to deploy a jump beacon there.

The four games are really one game, with different types of gameplay. However, since the audio interface gets a bit cluttered if you add too many commands, they are being released as separate games. They all affect the same universe. If you take down a ion shield in StarSquad, that helps drones attacking that world in StarLanes. Moving resources around in StarTrade also helps production of drones in StarLanes, and faction ownership in StarLanes gives better prices to faction aligned traders in StarTrade. Exploration in StarScout will allow new colonies to be made, opening up new markets for StarTrade, and placing a beacon in a new system can dramatically alter the strategic landscape in StarLanes.

So big things are planned. But progress has been slow. The lack of options for promotion has hit the player base hard. The game works much better with lots of active players. And there aren't quite enough Echos out there for word of mouth to really help promote the game. Most of the news stories about the Echo are commissioned by Amazon, who don't see gaming as a focus. As far as what I can control, I am currently doing a big refactor on the code as a grounding for the companion games. Additionally, since Google has announced that their Google Home product will be open to 3rd party developers, I'm abstracting the code so that I can port it to Google Home as soon as they publish their SDK. Hopefully they will see it for the opportunity it is, and give it some promotion. Or at least let me buy some advertising!

You ship can be both configured and upgraded. Say "configuration" to see what you have. Hmm. "Help configuration" doesn't list the types. I need to fix that. Basically you can optimize for range, carrying capacity, or fuel capacity. When you buy an upgrade, your max range/carrying/fuel go up. Not dramatically. But even a little range boost can really change the landscape. "set configuration to corvette" is the normal ship. "runner" is the max range ship. "carrier" is the max capacity ship. There is also "scout" which is high range with a small capacity. 

Resetting? Hmm. We had a "rewind" bug a while back. I thought I had finally fixed that. I really hate intermittent bugs. What would help me a lot is if, as you played the game, you jotted down the date/time each time it happens. Post it here, to the forum, or mail me, when you have a few. I can examine the logs and try to work out what the freak is happening. Note: there's a 500 talent bounty for all bugs found. :-)

2016-10-09 12:12:16

I think part of the reason why the ecco hasn't taken on so quickly is because of the slow distribution of the product. it's only now just come to the UK. yet it's been in the us for absolutely months. you have to wonder at the mentality behind this.

2016-10-09 15:17:09

Honestly, they've moved international far quicker than I expected. I've actually be caught flat-footed without a good structure for localization. That's part of the delay in StarLanes 4.0; I'm putting in the infrastructure necessary for translation. Doing multi-lingual audio apps is hard. The speech recognition part is a complete rewrite on the back end.

The thing is, they've sold millions of units. From 4 to 40, depending on how you listen to. (Amazon doesn't give numbers.) Yet the engagement with 3rd party skills is rock bottom. I've got about a dozen skills out there, and the most popular gets close to 150 unique users a day. From the stats I've seen others share, that's actually pretty good as far as 3rd party skills go. But as a fraction of the millions of users... it's pathetic.

I think part of the problem is Amazon hasn't really decided what the Echo is really going to be. Is it a gateway to the Internet of Things and the automated home? Is it a hand's free music streaming service? Is it a concierge and sales assistant? Really, they want it to be all of these things. But their message and support for any one of these things is diffuse with goals so broad.

As Google Home enters the market, they will, hopefully, either sharpen their message, or collapse. People talk about the "founder's effect" a lot. The advantage for being first in to a new market. And, yes, that can be a factor. But in new territory (as opposed to undeveloped territory) I think that the advantage can often go to the second entrant. They can enter cognizant of the mistakes made by the first, and plot a more efficient course. We'll just have to see.

2016-10-09 15:24:35

if that's the case then you had better develop starlanes startrade etc on other platforms as well otherwise your game could fall with the ecco if you aren#t careful.

I'm seriously debating as to whether to get an ecco or not but equally I want to play this game but if I don't have an ecco I can't play the game which is sad really.

2016-10-09 16:17:43

jjaquinta wrote:

Holy crap! I had this page loaded for the last week, but totally failed to notice there was a page two. My apologies for not replying sooner!

I'm glad you are enjoying StarLanes, and find it one of the most engaging games for the Echo. One of the points of writing it was to prove that the Echo could be a games platform. Unfortunately that hasn't been as enthusiastically welcomed by Amazon as I had hoped. But I'll stow my ranting and try to stay focused on your questions.

Sounds like you are in Futatsu. (I am too.) We have a nearby pocket of space you can get to from East Grinstead at high tide. I am aware there is a gameplay problem where the space near the start is rather entrenched and the number of players isn't high enough so that one side can mount the flotilla necessary to change ownership. I have a ton of ships in Tidworth waiting to unleash fury on East Grinstead, but I can't port enough on one tank of gas. Solutions I'm looking at is having ship count degrade in systems that don't have regular faction visitors. Also, the first companion game will be StarSquad, where you can send in squads to "take out that field generator", and sabotage the specific builds on a system that make it hard to fight.

Fuel does regenerate over time. It's about 12 hours to get a full tank. Note, though, that you only need fuel if you are carrying drones. If you are empty, you can always transition. The bonuses you earn can buy fuel. Just say "buy fuel" and it should guide you through it. The currency is not yet available for purchase for real money. That's a feature for 4.0 that is being worked on right now.

StarTrade is one of the companion games in development. It adds trade gameplay to the universe. Turns out those worlds you see in StarLanes are just the main worlds of each star system. There are, often, other worlds in each system. The jump beacon is only on the main world, and since StarLanes gameplay is focused on strategic warfare, that's all that matters. In StarTrade you can move between the planets within a system, trading in the basic commodities: energy, minerals and biologicals. You can purchase transport between systems.

StarScout will be another companion game with a focus on exploration. Turns out the only planets you see in StarTrade are those with colonies on them. There are other planets that you can scout out and survey. There are also other systems that your scout ship can get to without a jump beacon. You can explore those too and even work up to deploy a jump beacon there.

The four games are really one game, with different types of gameplay. However, since the audio interface gets a bit cluttered if you add too many commands, they are being released as separate games. They all affect the same universe. If you take down a ion shield in StarSquad, that helps drones attacking that world in StarLanes. Moving resources around in StarTrade also helps production of drones in StarLanes, and faction ownership in StarLanes gives better prices to faction aligned traders in StarTrade. Exploration in StarScout will allow new colonies to be made, opening up new markets for StarTrade, and placing a beacon in a new system can dramatically alter the strategic landscape in StarLanes.

So big things are planned. But progress has been slow. The lack of options for promotion has hit the player base hard. The game works much better with lots of active players. And there aren't quite enough Echos out there for word of mouth to really help promote the game. Most of the news stories about the Echo are commissioned by Amazon, who don't see gaming as a focus. As far as what I can control, I am currently doing a big refactor on the code as a grounding for the companion games. Additionally, since Google has announced that their Google Home product will be open to 3rd party developers, I'm abstracting the code so that I can port it to Google Home as soon as they publish their SDK. Hopefully they will see it for the opportunity it is, and give it some promotion. Or at least let me buy some advertising!

You ship can be both configured and upgraded. Say "configuration" to see what you have. Hmm. "Help configuration" doesn't list the types. I need to fix that. Basically you can optimize for range, carrying capacity, or fuel capacity. When you buy an upgrade, your max range/carrying/fuel go up. Not dramatically. But even a little range boost can really change the landscape. "set configuration to corvette" is the normal ship. "runner" is the max range ship. "carrier" is the max capacity ship. There is also "scout" which is high range with a small capacity. 

Resetting? Hmm. We had a "rewind" bug a while back. I thought I had finally fixed that. I really hate intermittent bugs. What would help me a lot is if, as you played the game, you jotted down the date/time each time it happens. Post it here, to the forum, or mail me, when you have a few. I can examine the logs and try to work out what the freak is happening. Note: there's a 500 talent bounty for all bugs found. :-)

Hello.  I wasn't there when the bug happen.   I play for a little bit, exit, and then go away for about 4 To 8 hours.  When I come back, it resets me back to Boston.